Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/5

Deb, FWIW when I had my bad UTI last fall, it had progressed to pyelonephritis even though I had no symptoms. it was plain old e. coli when the culture came back. I had two shots of Rocephin and also an oral antibiotic for a week. It was that or hospitalized for IV antibiotics. a no brainer for me. no hospitals! to get ahead of potential GI problems from antibiotics, non fat greek yogurt every day for breakfast with fruit. I completed the antibiotics, no problems whatsoever. I am usually OK with antibiotics, but this was a hefty dose! I'm pretty sure that's what you're worried about. OTC probiotics might help also.

we did a shorter ride this morning than planned, a 15 miler. we are driving this afternoon so decided on a closer ride this morning. I did Stacked Upper body last night and Abs #2.

DH and I are taking off for a couple days. I probably wont post for a bit.

Last edited:
Good Afternoon Ladies,
This is my rest day. It seems that spring is really here—along with the allergies. We had some drizzle this morning, but it has turned into a lovely day. I’m having problems with itching eyes and a runny nose, but it’s not too bad. The grass pollen really gets to me.

I hope everyone is having a good day.

Good evening ladies,

Been doing great with my workouts. I love when I look forward to my workouts. Doing the same just different mixtures of LEKfit and BBS to keep the variety. Today I did change things up and did a Jessica Smith Barre workout then added on a LEK’s most recent bounce minus the sculpting intervals. Jessica’s workout is her newest youtube video and I loved it. It has Barre in the title, but so not a barre workout. I used my 10lb weighted vest, 5lb and 8lbs (she used 3’s) plus my 3lb ankle weights. It was a great toning workout and I will be doing this again. Below is the link if interested. If you are short on time it gets the job done. She recently had a baby and looks fantastic! Took me forever to get back in shape!

Deb...oh so sorry about the UTI. Hoping you are getting plenty of rest and are not too uncomfortable.

Valerie...I need to do stacked upper body. You have mentioned it a few times. This will be my weekend upper body workout. 15 miles is great! Have a great trip!!

Carolyn...spring came for a second a month ago but has not revisited. Been so cold and rainy. I am still wearing winter clothed and boots to work! It is May right? I know about the abs!! Crazy I like them. Are you doing the May rotation? I thought it looked great.

Diane Sue...this is the first time I have used 6lb ankle weights and wow it works you. Every time I bounce I automatically put on my 3lb ankle weights no matter the workout. I like the extra burn I get using them. I did like the Ripped and Ride workouts. Her Raw workouts are really great and the price is awesome. I will revisit her when I need a change from what I am doing.

Judy...oh that stinks getting a flat tire. Good you replaced them all. An expense but very much a good thing to do. Your job does sound so demanding and I hear you about angry customers! Last year, on top of everything I do, they gave me guest relations - so I deal with angry guests all the time. Ugh. Amazing you get the workouts in that you do.

Loving the pictures of Cathe’s road trip. Everyone looks like they are having a blast. One of these days I am going to go to one!!!!

Have a great night all!!

Good morning,

Yesterday I did PHA 2 from the Lite series, 51 minutes, 306 calories.

Valerie, I am awed at the rides you take, and you saying that a "15 miler is a shorter than planned ride" I have been taking probiotics recommended by my GI DR since the first bout of C-Dif. I doubled up when this started, looking ahead to the fact that I knew I would be taking some kind of anti-biotic. Fingers crossed that when the culture comes back, the one they started me on is the right one. Have a fun trip!

Carolyn, I hope you enjoyed your rest day and the allergies were not too bad. I am going to attempt the May rotation...some modified version of it anyway. Are you going to do it?

Lori, thanks for the link.! I know right? isn't May supposed to be spring? We had our first nice day yesterday, sunny and 67 degrees. Finally! I missed the road trip pictures, have to go over there and look at them.

Hi to Judy

Take care,

This morning I did LiTE PHA 2 for 57 minutes and 314 calories burned. My average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate was 164.

Deb, I am doing the May rotation, but I will be making some substitutions too. For example, I will not be doing IMAX 3! I don’t like that one at all and plan to do IMAX 2 instead.

Lori, it’s nice that you have a workout routine that you like. That JS no barre workout reminds me of Ellen Barrett. I have enjoyed the road trip pictures too. It looks like a lot of fun and hard work.

Judy, I hope you are having a day off from work today. It seems like you have earned one.

Diane Sue, I hope everything is okay with you.

Valerie, enjoy your trip.

It has been crazy busy and this evening I finally went to my computer only to find for some reason my network adapter is not working. No wifi.
So saturdayvwe helped someone with shelving. Then we went back out after arriving home to help my youngest daughter who was stranded with her car not starting. Things have been kind of a blur, I can't remember all of Sunday. I did Kelly's foam roller stretch. I had such bad neck pain this weekend. I had my grandson Friday night overnight. Friday I did Fit Split timesaver low impact cardio. Today I did Raw cardio crush, 32 minutes, met 8.3, 220 calories, heart rate 136 average, 163 max, 2418 steps. I then did Lite Stacked Sets lower body, 42 minutes, met 6.0, heart rate average 112, max 149, 212 calories, 915 steps. I finished with Raw 2_cardio floor finisher (this is from sculpting rx) 18 minutes, met 5.5, 91 calories, heart rate 111 average, max 155, 723 steps. Total time 92 minutes, 523 calories, 4,056 steps.
I don't like typing on my tablet so will try to get back here tomorrow.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did a Walk Fit workout on the treadmill, 32 minutes, 209 calories. I also hit 11,000+ steps. :). My PCP said that the culture showed I was on the right meds, so that is a good thing for me.

Carolyn, Good job on PHA2. It is one of my favorites. Yep, no Imax of any number for me! My plan is to do all the weight workouts, but sub any cardio that I don't like or want to do.

Diane Sue, bummer about the wifi. I can't stand typing on my tablet either, I will always have a desktop computer.

HI to Valerie, Judy & Lori,

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did KCM Cardio Pump workout 2, the total body weights one. I went to work at 11:30 and ended up staying until closing at 10 pm. After 6 pm there were only 2 of us in garden and the other person was from another department and didn't know what to do. At least I will get overtime pay on my next check, which will be nice. It was actually nicer there at night, since there weren't many customers.

Deb-Nice job on the workouts! I hope the meds work quickly. I agree with Valerie about taking some extra probiotics.

Carolyn-Great job with PHA2! It's one of my favorite workouts. I have today and tomorrow off this week. It will be nice to have a break.

Diane Sue-Great job with the Raw workouts! I don't like typing on my phone or tablet either.

Lori-I was looking at that Jessica Smith barre workout on YouTube. I have it on my to do list.
I signed up for Cathe Live and On Demand again, this time using a Roku. I'm doing month to month for now, to see if the streaming works consistently. So far I've only used it for On Demand, but it's been working fine.

Valerie-Great job with all of your rides and workouts!

Judy

Today I did IMAX 2, combos 1-8 and combo 10. My time was 52 minutes and 394 calories burned. My average heart rate was 134 and maximum heart rate was 162. I always enjoy IMAX 2 and I look forward to combo 10. Cathe slows things down for the final combo and the music is the Pina Colada song. It’s so much fun!

Deb, nice job with Walk Fit on the treadmill. Your plan for the May rotation is what I usually do. If there is a workout that I don’t want to do I substitute something similar.

Judy, that’s great that you could do Cardio Pump before going to work. I’m glad that it was quiet there in the evening since you had such a long day.

Diane Sue, sounds like you have been very busy the last few days. I don’t mind typing short things on my tablet, but I like to use the desktop for real work.

Hello to Valerie and Lori.

Just a little break here:) I am already past 12,400 steps. I made a run to the store and raked up the ground and planted grass seed. Now to indoor work.
My workout today was Cathe Rock Out Knock Out with the heavy bag bonus, 65 minutes, met 8.10 (for me workout manager has it at 9.10 and it still did not coincide near my stats) 465 calories, 5,786 steps, heart rate average 136, max 168. This is my favorite kickbox workout that Cathe has done and has fun music. I then did Lite Body Weight and Bands calorie crush since it showed up on my door step right after kickbox. This was 16 minutes with the warm up and stretch, heart rate average 129, max 158, 1,206 steps, 114 calories. It is done with the fire walker loop. I almost think I would prefer it without, but it does add a bit of difficulty. I am just not so much a fan of jacks and stuff with the loop around my ankles. Most of it was okay though. It is different for a change. I then did Lite abs 2, met 5.0, 44 calories, 58 steps. Total time was 91 minutes, calories burned 623, 7,050 steps. I will incorporate that workout into my weight workout tomorrow without the calorie crush.
I saw Cathe is doing some new workouts. I guess all using the step? I just bought the last Lite so that figures LOL Kelly is also doing a couple of new dvds. One I think is with the overload principle like she uses on Raw with the lighter weighted vest. I say lighter as it is not like my 20# vest. Today I ordered an 8# vest that looks like it would work much better that sort of crosses in the front. My Cathe one slides backwards when I take all of the packets out and it is still 12#. It makes my neck and shoulders hurt when it is pulling down backward. I thought I would benefit from a lighter new one. Maybe use it for some other cardio too. Kelly mentions using one on one of her step workouts.

Deb, I hope you are feeling better. I was reading an article on Dr Axe this last week about the different types of probiotics for different needs. I only recently started understanding that. I took probiotics and L Glutamine to help my system after the antibiotics when I was sick and after I had the colonoscopy. L glutamine is supposed to be good for gut health. Now I am taking a no histmine probiotic.
I really like PHA2. It is a good workouts.

Judy, I could see it being less busy in the evenings in the garden center. Most people go when it is day time and they are working on their outdoor projects. Nice to have overtime pay.

Carolyn, isn't combo 10 the fun one after you nearly die during combo 9 ? I was trying to remember which I Max that was and I am pretty sure it is I Max 2. I am looking forward to Cathe doing I Max 4 and it being low impact. At least that is my understanding.

Valerie, nice work on your 15 miler and getting in Stacked set upper body and abs. I am thinking I want to do Stacked sets upper body tomorrow with some other stuff.

Lori, thanks for the link. I always get a kick out of her dog hanging out. And it's bone is lying there too. Reminds me of Gertie, taking up my space , except Gertie requires more space when she sprawls out. She likes to get close so she shares my mat.

Good evening ladies,

Yesterday was my rest day, but I did take GiGi for a walk after work. It was so nice and she was able to go for a great swim. :). Today was a BBS workout that had Hiit, Ams and Bounce. Was about 45 mins.

Deb...nice workouts the past 2 days. How did you feel afterwards? Knee and hip ok? Glad meds are working. I agree about Valerie’s rides. They are amazing! Great on the steps!!

Diane Sue...I do not mind typing on my Ipad at all. I actually prefer it. I have the apple keyboard, but rarely use it. Wow you too on steps!! Nice! My 10lb vest is a Cathe and it has worked well for me. This weekend was the first time I used it in years. I completely forgot I had it. Will be using it more often now. I thought of you while at walmart. Bought some organic bone broth. Never had it before. Sometimes at work if I need a little something in the afternoon I will heat up a cup of chicken broth. Keeps me from eating potato chips. The none broth was good. I will buy again.

Carolyn...I loved Imax 1 and 2 when they came out. Yes the pina colada song is a blast. Like you I did not like the 3rd at all - didn’t enjoy it. I have no desire to buy Cathe’s new series. They sound great but all Step. Good she is doing these as I know so many have asked for more step. Good I save money. :)

Judy...that is a long day! I really liked the JS workout. Glad that I went heavier than she did. Gave me a great workout.

Hi to Valerie!

Have a great night all!

Lori, I like the frozen Bonafide Provisions bone broth. So far it tastes the closest to homemade broth and refrigerated it sort of gels which means it is done right. I have tried some of their frozen chicken soup and it was really good. My Cathe vest goes to 20 # and I did not realize even without all of the weight packets it was still 12#, It is just that most of the weight seems to be in the back and with some of Kelly's workouts there is some moves to the floor and hopping around and it ends up sliding back and the little front clip ends up at my neck. I pull a belt through it and tie it down and that helps, but I would like something more comfortable for the cardio. I think it would be a nice addition like Kelly mentioned to her step workout.
Gertie, would probably go around the water lol. She is an odd pup. I remember growing up we had a springer spaniel and she would climb the ladder and get in our above ground pool. No coercing. My mother hated it because she left dog hair in the pool.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Ripped W/HIIT Ramped Up Upper Body, 49 minutes, 217 calories, and 10,000+ steps. PY today, and supposedly they are supposed to review my knee x-ray with me and adjust the PT I guess if needed.

Judy, nice workout with KCM. I don't think I have that one. Good that you got some overtime with all the hours you have been working. Do employees get a discount? I increased my probiotics to twice a day, when I started feeling like I was getting a UTI and will keep doing this until the pills are gone and maybe even longer. Enjoy your days off!

Carolyn, yep, substitutes are a must. :). I think those that have a desk job and have used a desktop computer for 8 hours a day, really have a hard time switching to a tablet. I just can't get used to the keyboard, even though I have one of those detachable blue tooth ones.

Diane Sue, great job on the steps! Did you see the post from the Cathe Admin saying that the Met Values that they post are not really accurate? I wonder why they post them at all? I am sort of glad that Cathe's new series may be all step oriented. No pressure to buy it! LOL I have the Cathe vest too, but never use it. I used to, when I was really doing heavy leg work ( at least heavy for me). The probiotic I take is one recommended by my Gastro DR. He said he always makes his wife take them when she is prescribed any anti-biotic.

Lori, nice that Gigi got in a swim. I am sure the spirit of Chester is smiling during those swims. :). My hip is a lot better, and my knee seems to be feeling better since doing the treadmill and workouts. mmm....same here on the STep workouts....saving $$ and not feeling guilty when I don't do them as I should. I still think I did not make much use of S&S.

Hi to Valerie,

Take care,

Deb, that is good that you have a doctor recommended probiotic. I love step work so I am looking forward to the new workouts as long as it isn't tons of leaping over the step or something. I used to use the Cathe vest when I wanted to go heavier than I could get over my head for lower body weights. I did not know that Cathe had posted something on the met values. I have been doing the math with my weight etc. And checking what my met would be according to what my fit bit, map my fitness, and calories burned calculator come up with to see how accurate those met values are. I am always lower than listed when using my weight. If someone just used those tables on Cathe workout manager it may make a difference if they are trying to lose weight.
Isn't ramped up upper from stong and sweaty?

good morning, we got back last night early. we drive thru North cascades national park, beautiful scenery but mostly still snowed in unless you are a very good skier. a really nice trip. we mt biked 12 miles on Monday through some very nice hilly country with tons of flowers in bloom. it is so lovely when balsam root and lupine are blooming. the hills are bright yellow and purple and closer there are lots more smaller wildflowers. a spectacular show. Tuesday we did a big hike, 7 hours. climbed up over 6000 elevation through a long section of snow to the top. lovely views. saw quite a few grouse up very close. they are displaying and hooting for mating season and are beautiful and showy, plus they get very bold and let you get very close. DH imitates a grouse really well and the hoot back at each other. all that testosterone! also mountain bluebirds. it is a tough steep trail, and the last part is off trail, postholing thru steep snow. the trail gains close to 1000 feet per mile. I am stronger going up than I am coming back down. my poor feet get shredded. flowers on the hike were amazing. this is the big spring bloom, soon it will be dried out and not very interesting.
we both carry serious packs so everything is done with 20-25 pounds along for the ride. we knew we needed a rest day after those 2 days so we drove home early. we have done the ride and the hike before but both are so nice we try to do them every year. the camper needs a few things fixed, nothing major, and I figured out most of the things I'd forgotten to re load. we barely used the camper last year and supplies need replacing. rest day today. I'm not sore except for some hot spots on my toes but nothing major.

Deb good to know you are doing better. Fat chance for me on step workouts. not even glancing at them. never!

we have a detachable keyboard for the ipad but I've never gotten attached to the ipad. would rather use my phone. DH uses it more because the print is bigger. I cant type on touch screens, need a real keyboard.

too funny about the dog and the pool. DH had a dog when he was growing up that climbed the steps to the pool and then dove in. it was a big outdoor pool with about 5 feet of steps up. it was in central valley in CA so hot hot hot! dog LOVED that pool.

I've never actually taken probiotics myself but the last run of antibiotics, I made my breakfast greek yogurt. that headed off any potential problems. I never have problems from antibiotics but why take a chance.

Judy that sounds like a long miserable day.

I have been using avocado toast for a mid morning snack, and DH has discovered he likes it too. a lot of jokes about "the only thing the millennials got right". I always love avocados, one of my favorite foods but limit the quantity to 1/4 of one. a little coarse salt and toasted pepitas on crunchy seedy bread is heaven.

Today I did Strong and Sweaty Ramped Up Upper Body for 49 minutes and 263 calories burned. My average heart rate was 120 and maximum heart rate was 168.

Diane Sue, yes IMAX 2 is the one where combo 9 is really tough, then you get to 10. I wasn’t very interested in Cathe’s new step workouts until I saw that IMAX 4 will be low impact. That appeals to me. Of course, I make them all low impact!

Deb, great job with Ramped Up Upper Body. My arms were fried this morning after I finished it. That’s wonderful that your knee and hip feel better. Your new shoes probably help. I don’t use a keyboard with my iPad. I had one but it was more annoying than useful.

Lori, I love bone broth too. I keep a bag in the freezer where I save the bones from steaks or roasts until I am ready to make broth. Sometimes I make soup, but I often just drink it as is. It’s very filling and taste wonderful.

Valerie, I make avocado toast the same way. I use one fourth of an avocado on seeded bread. That’s usually a part of my breakfast when I don’t have oatmeal.

Hello to Judy. Have a great day everyone.

Today I did Cathe Lite Body Weight and Bands 44 minutes, heart rte average 110, max 141, met 5.0, 212 calories, 1,453 steps. I then did Lite Strong Body Stacked Sets 37 minutes, heart rate average 111, max 152, 185 calories, met 6.0, 936 steps. I finished off with Lite Extended Stretch 2, 11 minutes, 31 calories, 43 steps. Total time was 92 minutes 2,432 steps, 428 calories.
I liked the Body weight and Bands, but will most likely use it split and as a finisher for other workouts unless I am away and want to use it. There are some good uses for the bands and tubing. It might be better with the Calorie Crush added to it. I felt it for sure as I used Cathe's heavy tubing and a heavier loop band. Still the green band though to start with. I was afraid I was going to aggravate my neck.
Weights for Stong Body Stacked Sets Upper Body
First group
32 dips
12 triceps push ups off of the step with 3 risers
rotating kickbacks 10# dbs 10 reps
close grip bench/flat bench/combo 12# dbs 24 reps
chest flys 1 and a half 12# dbs 9 reps
plyo push ups on step 3 risers 12 reps
repeat
Second group
dumbbell front squeeze and press 8# dbs 12 reps
overhead press one and a half 12# dbs 8 reps
lateral raise one and a half 8# dbs 8 reps
lateral U raise 8# dbs 8 reps
hip huggers 12# dbs 16 reps
repeat
third group
pullovers one and a half 15# dbs 8 reps
double arm dead row 15# dbs 16 reps
1 hip hinge with back fly 3 times 10# dbs done 4 times
biceps curls 15# dbs 8 reps
8 point drop curls 12# dbs 16 reps
hammer curls 15# dbs 8 reps
reverse curls 12# dbs 8 reps
repeat

Valerie, I love avocado toast. I like it on Ezekial bread with some swiss cheese and grilled I like just the avocado on toast. Pepitas would definitley be good. I sometimes purchase a good seed bread that works nicely. I bet the spring scents were lovely on your ride. We lived in a suburb of Phoenix so I am sure the dog was really wanting to get in the pool.

Carolyn, I still remember for the longest time when I would hit combo 9 of I max 2 that I would get so out of breath and light headed before it was over. I was thrilled the first time I did it without feeling like that. Combo 10 is always a welcome one and much needed fun. Imax 2 was always my favorite of the 3 and yest the Low Impact makes it really something that I want for number 4.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.