Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/31

Good morning,

Yesterday I tried to do Live Express Upper Body....again, lots of freezing, stuttering, and lost the audio. I called my ISP, they said it was probably my router. UGH...I hate this kind of stuff. He was telling me to adjust the MH...whatever...to a setting that allows for more distance between the router and the device...(my workout TV is in the basement, so yes, far away from the router...I have no idea how to do that. I guess I can start with YouTube...and go from there. We have moved into Phase 2, which allows hair salons, and others to open. Our dog club can resume classes, with lots of guidelines and restrictions. Hair salons cannot do anything other than wash, color, style....no waxing, no nail services. Also, employees must be testes for Covid every 14 days. Some salons have opted not to open because of the testing, and that 50% of their revenue comes from the other services.

Carolyn, nice job on S&S Bootcamp. That was really nice of your daughter's neighbor to do that cookout for individual families to take home.

Judy, that is good that you will have an outside job with HD when you go back. Assume the nursery? I hope they don't give you that killer schedule that they did last year. Every store I have gone to has a mask requirement to go in. Some ask that only 1 family member per household shops at one time, to limit the number of people in the store.

Lori, thanks for the link to the recipes! I like pot pies with a bottom crust....I wonder if I could add that to this one. The filling looks great!. Wow, that is amazing that the watch asked if it should call 911. Amazing, but kind of scary at the same time . :)

Valerie, glad you made it there and were able to get acclimated quickly.

Diane Sue, I had no issue with interference wearing both the Polar and the FitBit. But, now that you mentioned that, I am wondering if wearing the Polar with the FitBit interfered with the Chomecast, and that is why I was having those issues. I had the Polar on both days that it happened...mmm... I agree, most of the "protesters" are actually looters. There was somewhere that when asked, the "protesters" could not come up with the name of the gentleman that was killed. Huh? Someone actually tried to throw a fire bomb into City Hall here. We now have a county wide curfew from 8pm to 5am through the weekend. Lots of business with broken windows and looting. So sad for the business people. That spice rack sounds great...too bad you have to send it back.

Waving Hello to Christine,

Take care,

Last edited:
This morning I did Cardio Supersets from the Low Impact series. That was 41 minutes and 273 calories burned. My average heart rate was 126 and maximum heart rate was 159.

Lori, that’s great that you found a new streaming site at a good price. Is Perspirology a barre workout?

Deb, nice job with Live Express Upper Body even with technology issues. I hate having to deal with that kind of problem too.

Valerie, I’m sure that you enjoyed the quiet hike with few people. Having to prepare a meal every day can become tiresome. I try to keep something in my freezer for those days when I just don’t want to be bothered. It doesn’t matter how much I like to cook, there are days when I need a break.

Waving hello to Judy, Diane Sue, and Christina.

Oh my goodness - I just finished Afterburn and it kicked my butt! I will admit that I skipped the last set of intervals bc I was starting to feel some twinges in my shoulder and I did not want to injure myself. I work from home at the moment, and I like to do my workout at about 3:30 in the afternoon when I'm feeling brain dead: it revives me for a few more hours of work.

I hope everyone is safe and well. I am in awe of the challenging workouts that you all do -- someday I might get there!

Christina

I remember Afterburn as being a butt kicker! haven't done it in ages. cathe has a way of doing that to all of us. I exercise at 3:30 to 4 a lot of times because it keeps me out of the kitchen when I start getting hungry and would like to snack. distraction works.

we hiked again today this time with our neighbor. a few more people than yesterday but pleasant and not crowded. most were coming up while we were heading down. another steep climb up to a high ridge with great flowers and lots of beautiful petrified wood. . Now I am tired!. 4 hours on a very steep trail. very windy much of the time. baby bison and pronghorns. beautiful. and I have leftovers for dinner! planned that just right.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did S&S Ramped Up Upper Body and a 1 hour Peloton Scenic Ride. Today I did RWH Lift it Hiit Legs with Bonus Abs 1.
Our governor canceled the stay at home order and moved the state into Phase 4. Restaurants can now open for dining, with restrictions I'm sure, and all stores can open. Hair Salons and gyms remain closed and probably won't open until July. I will be going back to work next Monday, in the garden dept. They have me at 20 hours a week and I will probably stay there for now.

Deb- I have my availability set lower than last year so I won't get any 40+ hour weeks unless I change it. I will be working weekends so that will be an adjustment after being off for 3 months. That's too bad about your streaming issues :( I hope you can get them resolved.

Carolyn-Great job with Cardio Supersets! That's another one I need to revisit.

Christina-Nice job with Afterburn! That is a tough one!

Valerie-I don't think I could do a 4 hour hike, great job!

Lori-Perspirology looks interesting. I'd love that kind of workout if I had a rebounder.

Diane Sue-I'm sorry about your headache :( I hope you feel better today

Judy

Valerie, I never had problems with the chest straps all of the time. Polar told me they need to be replaced every few months. Then they told me I was probably getting interference with other things running. I tried to shut everything off but my Polar watch and turn Bluetooth and wifi off on my tablet and phone and it still was not working right. I just finally got fed up with it. I would be switching straps, moving them around changing batteries in transmitters and watches through workouts. I could be working and have a zero heart rate and standing looking at the silly watch that told me my heart rate was 224 or something ridiculous. I don't get those types of variances with the Fit Bit even though I am pretty sure it is not right during workouts, or I have a really low heart rate when exercising, that just happened to move lower with the new watch.
Nice that you were able to have that much time alone and enjoy nature.

Lori thanks for the heads up on the baking soda for the bread. When I go to big Walmart or even the Walmart market I get a lot because I do not shop there often . I stock up on those things I cannot get at Sprouts and Dollar General. Takes forever to drag it all in the house after loading it in the car. Plus those stores are so busy. I went to Sprouts today and it was a quick in and right back out. Not very many people and only one in front of me that was about ready to leave.
My neck is an ongoing issue. It takes care to keep it from getting inflamed and causing a lot of pain. Today turning my head quickly or forgetting and trying to toss my hair out of my face in the wind causes pain. The stretch I did today really felt good and it has been fine most of the day till this evening. I am going to do some light yoga stretching again before I go to bed.
That is interesting that you Apple watch detected that you had fallen. I had a friend that was running with her dog when she hadn't had him long and faceplanted the ground and skinned up her face. I hate when those collars slip off. I usually use a choke chain when I have Gertie on leash. I tried a leash that was really nice for slipping on the dog and stayed without the choke chain once, and the bet was impressed. He said dogs are always getting loose from their collars. The only thing was that the special leash broke at a seam on it not long after I got it and Gertie got loose in front. She didn't go anywhere though. So far she has never ran off from me other than when she was a pup and I was training and that was in the yard. She just went to family that was standing in front and I called her and told her to go in the house. She went. She is the best behaved of all the dogs I ever had. I think most dogs love it when you chase them. My dog Mudd used to run with her tongue flopping and ears flapping and looked so joyful. I discovered if I turned around and went back to the house, as soon as she couldn't see me she would come back looking for me. Silly dogs. Hope you weren't hurt when you fell.

Deb, I used to have problems with distance from the router in the last home we had because my workout room was upstairs and at the opposite end of the house from where the family room/mancave was which dropped down low and housed the modem and router. I bought a booster to use that helped with the signal. We just upped our internet to the highest speed and it has panoramic wifi, which I am kind of clueless as to what all it does, but you can look at the app and see what is running and do different things with it through the app. It came with a whole new modem/router geared for what it does. No dropouts since we got it. I was having problems off and on upstairs and again. Fixing problems is such a headache. I keep dealing with my upstairs laptop in the mornings. It turns on, goes to the first page whish is a family picture and I click it and it should go to the log in page but it does nothing. I have to hard shut it down with the button 2 or 3 times and give it lots of time to get it to boot up to my home screen. I am still troubleshooting it. I thought maybe it was because I took Avast antivirus off a week or so ago and added Webroot. I could find no link to that being the problem though. Also put a new battery on it the other day. I tried taking it back off, but didn't help. Maybe it is just tired. It is a Windows 8 laptop.
Requiring testing for Covid every 14 days seems a bit silly to me. I wouldn't want to work if I had to go through all of that all of the time. I keep seeing signs on places saying they are open.
My daughter said her husband who is a police captain said most arrested were from around here, but some came in from other towns. He asked one why he was there and he said to "join the party" . So, clearly they are not all there to protest what is wrong and a death.
I shipped the spice rack back today through Amazon, but it cost me 20 dollars shipping. I reordered another from the same company that holds 30 jars instead of 60. Silly though as the one with 60 jars cost 130 and the one with 30 jars is 98 + I had to pay the 20 shipping.

Carolyn, nice work on Cardio Supersets. I like that one.

Christina, Afterburn is a tough workout. Cathe really does know how to keep things low impact and get a lot out of it. Working out later in the day does help boost energy, but I find it hard to push myself to do later workouts.

Judy, nice workouts. Maybe being in the Garden Center will be better for now than being shut up on the inside? Nice job on the workouts.

I forgot to post my workout I guess. I don't see it :)
Today I did Coffey Fit Raw Kettlebells with Kaitlin, which she put up yesterday. This was 41 minutes (38:52)
heart rate 96/144(battled the Fitbit again and gave up) 95 calories,986 steps. My healthmate app gave me 201 calories for this. I followed this with Lindsey Spamper Yoga Therapy #4 Safe stretches which felt great as my shoulders really needed this. I had not done it yet. Some types of things I did in PT. Not really yoga, but just stretches, 19 minutes, 20 calories. Health Mate had it at 60 calories, I used the yoga setting for this. The Kettlebells I used other setting on Health Mate. Just seeing the difference in stats. I really think that I should be somewhere between the two. The Kettlebell workout was good, but I changed up some moves because the front of my shoulders started bothering me. Kelly changed which new workout she was going to put up and said she would put up the strenght workout next week.

Raw Kettlebells with Kaitlin
38:53 They used 15# Kettlebells and I used the same except for overhead shoulder work which I used 10# and also the Turkish sit up
short warm up
double swings
figure 8's
1 arm supination curls 10 reps right 10 reps left 15#
1 arm overhead press (like an arnold press) 15# 10 right 10 left
goblet squat 15# 10 reps and 10 reps singles
repeat
curl and press 10# 10 right 10 left
double swings
alternating swings
1 arm row 15# 10 reps Right 10 overhead triceps extensions 10 reps Left
repeat
reverse lunge pass under
1 arm Row 15# and 1 arm Row flick back (I dropped out of the Flick backs second time and just did rows)10 each alternating
repeat
double swings
figure 8
double swings
alternating swings
Mat -- Turkish sit ups I used 10 # first 10 each side then just picked up the 15# and did sit ups
holding horns of kettlebell 15# Russian Twist
Repeat
Sit up knee pulls with a twist 15# kettle bell 10 reps
Stretch (Kelly uses a towel)

Good morning,

No workouts to report. We did a lot of weeding, moving pavers etc. We are getting ready for a delivery of a cubic yard of washed stone to refresh our beds. They will drop it in the driveway. Lots of shoveling and toting ahead.

Carolyn, great job on Cardio Supersets. I'm with you....nothing like having some leftovers in the freezer to use when you don't want to take a lot of time to fix a meal. We always make enough to freeze for another day.

Christine, nice job on Afterburn! That is a tough one. Amazing that you are able to stop, do that workout and then get back to your other work. :)

Valerie, sounds like a wonderful hike! that's great that you have neighbors that are interested in doing the hikes as well.

Judy, nice workouts and ride! Wow, your area jumped from "stay at home" to opening restaurants pretty quickly. Restaurants here are open only if they have outside dining, and that has distancing restrictions. Most that have outside dining only have a few tables outside, so I don't know how profitable it will be for them when they have to reduce the number of tables even more. I can't imagine what it will be like at first to go to one of them and see 50 people waiting to be seated at 4 tables. :( That's great that you have the garden department to work in.

Diane Sue, I hope your neck feels better today. The person that does my hair opted not to return to work. I can hardly blame her. I am sure that all the precautions, mask, gloves etc would be okay with her, not so much the testing protocol. I put a new battery in the Polar watch and it worked really well, no dropping the HR and showing "zero" etc. The tech at our ISP provider mentioned interference from radio frequency in the area, like workers or something like that, and I thought that maybe the 2 things could have interfered with the wifi connection. I can almost see that being it for the static playback and maybe even freezing, but the audio? So frustrating. Was it a slip lead that you had before?

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

I always used a pinch collar on my dog. with the spikes. I thought they looked nasty and formidable at first but a dobie's head and neck are almost the same size, a regular choker fell off over his head. he learned how to slide out in a NY minute!. A problem, he could lower his head and shake it off. We hiked in the mountains with him so we taught him to walk in front or between us with the collar on and a leash tucked into his doggie pack. he didn't run all over up to people. he was a lovely dog.

we saw an elk momma and a newborn calf this morning, coming out of the valley in our front yard. so darling no more than several days old. tiny! they are all calving about now so not as visible. mother jumped the fence and baby went underneath it. we are not fenced but neighbors are.

Deb I have a similar issue with our router. a long way from the workout room. TV/player need to be in an brick alcove to hook to the cable besides. signal does not get there no matter what. it will never be different so I use dvds . nothing to watch on TV anymore without paying more than we want.

since Im not home I have not contacted my hair person yet although I assume they will be open soon. its a small place, not sure how they will manage the distancing. most of the stylists are young so I think they will return and deal with it.

Last edited:
This morning I did Pyramid Pump Lower Body, up only premix. That was 40 minutes and 175 calories burned. My average heart rate was 113 and maximum heart rate was 148. This workout has a lot of slide lunges using the gliding discs and cross back lunges. I find that 5 sets of those exercises is too hard on my knees. The up only premix works better for me.

Christina, I will echo the other comments about Afterburn—it’s quite a challenging! And those dragging plank pushups! I actually like Afterburn, but I sometimes skip some of the exercises. The Low Impact Series is harder than I expected it to be when it first came out. You might find LiTE and ICE to be a better match right now.

Judy, I’m surprised that Michigan is moving ahead so quickly after taking such a cautious approach the past few weeks. I hope this means that the state has done well with managing things.

Valerie, great job getting a 4 hour hike. All of the wildlife that you have seen sounds amazing.

Deb, our router is upstairs and quite a distance from the television. The cable company actually installed a booster for that reason.

Diane Sue, nice job with Coffeyfit Raw Kettlebells and the stretch with Lindsay. It’s good that you found a stretch similar to your PT exercises.

Lori, I liked that Jenny Can Cook website so much that I bookmarked it. She has some good recipes there.

Have a great day everyone.

we did a short mt bike this morning, about 5.5 miles. 1 hr 45min Rode a FS road near our house we've done many times before. spring runoff caused major road damage. both good/bad news. good because no cars or wheelers can get through. it's gated and cant be opened in this condition. damage disrupted our ride in multiple places. the creek has undercut the road in several places, one fixed last year. that part is washed out again. in other places it over ran the road leaving debris, sand, mud, plus several trees were down. we moved the trees. sections where the road split crosswise, with a 2 foot ledge where the road bed dropped down. cracks across the road were frequent. when it dries out most of the road will be OK to ride and we probably wont have any company. not sure maybe horses could use it? depends on the horse. the dropped sections do not have a way to go around.
Carolyn I agree , Ice and Lite are doable without much or any modifying so they are what I reach for most often.

I did Kelly Coffey 30 minutes to fitness Amped Up Cardio Live both workouts, 59 minutes, 307 calories, heart rate 130/178, 5,555 steps followed by Lindsey Samper Yoga Therapy #5 deep hip stretches, 35 minutes (longest workout in this season) Fit bit 34 calories(health mate 109 calories and Cathe 77 for low yoga) ridiculous. Total time 94 minutes, 341 calories, 5,586 steps.

Deb, that scooping and moving rock will be a lot of work. You have been busy. I need to dig all of the rock out of my planter by my front door. It would be a lot of work as it goes so deep and I have not been able to plant anything there without hitting rock so I just have pots sitting on top.
Yes, it was a slip collar leash. I purchased a harness for when we went on a camping trip once and it just sits in the cabinet. Such a pain to put on and Gertie gets so excited about getting a leash on to go outside. I prefer it to be easy, but safe. The audio problem is something odd.

Valerie, my other dog was a hard puller when I had a leash on. I used a training collar for awhile that was a heavy sort of plastic with points that helped some, but when I took her to the park I resorted to the metal prong collar. She was a mixed breed and really strong. She had lab in her, but there was something else as well. She was well behaved inside and great with grandchildren. My one granddaughter used to put clothes on her and blankets. I remember when my youngest granddaughter was learning to walk she pulled up on that dog and it was like she knew to be careful as she stood like a statue till my granddaughter sat down on her rear after her wobbly legs gave out. But, walking with her was work on my part.

Carolyn, the cross back lunges can bother my knees if they are excessive. Just before my knee surgery I found two workouts that had a lot of them in them really caused my knees to hurt. One was Kelly's shape up which was tabatas and had 8 Tabata set of them done off a step which really hurt. Then the other was a Jari Love that was one of the later ones and she was doing high reps of them over and off both sides of the step which was tortures. I quit using the step when they did this move. I realize now I can get away with a few and not go too low, but those higher rep ones are a big no. These therapy stretches are working well for me.

when I got my dog, it was a first for me. my family never had dogs. I signed up for an obedience class because I didn't want untrained since he was big and a lot of people are afraid of Dobermans, so I wanted good behavior. went to class once a week for 6-8 weeks and practiced at home what we learned. it is worthwhile. actually, obedience classes train the owner more than the dog! he learned to sit, stay, come, heel, not grab food. the process was fun. the bigger the dog, the more he needs to learn to heel and not pull and lunge at the end of the leash. it socializes dogs to behave well with other dogs. everyone lines up in class with their dogs at their sides. it was amazing the changes in behavior in a few weeks. I realize most people don't train. the bigger the dog, the more worth it.
taking day off today. we are both tired and need to do some grocery shopping and get a weed eater.

I am OK with cross back lunges but I don't like squats. I keep them shallower and limit how many.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did Walk Strong 3 Cardio Hit + 1 Mile of Motivation and a 1 hour Peloton ride.

Deb-I was wrong about the restaurants, they aren't open this week but will be allowed to open on Monday at 50% capacity. All retail stores were allowed to fully reopen yesterday. It seems like restaurants will have a hard time running at that capacity and making enough money to stay open.

Carolyn-I was surprised to see Michigan reopen so quickly. Many people thought that the stay at home order would be extended past June 12th. The cases in this county have gone down and the hospitals seem to be getting back to normal. They are now allowing visitors again, but they are screening them first.

Diane Sue-I think the working in the garden center will be good. I am hoping that I will be outside most of the time. I haven't been in the store since March 15th so I am curious to see what has changed. I know from reading the employee forums that they have been doing extensive cleaning and disinfecting and that they have a good supply of PPE and sanitizer for the employees. I think they are also doing health and temperature checks.

Hi to Lori, Valerie & Christina!

Judy

Today I did Rev’d Up Rumble + Extended Stretch #1 for 51 minutes and 289 calories burned. My average heart rate was 118 and maximum heart rate was 152.

Many restaurants here have reopened with the limited seating capacity, which makes it hard for them to profit. Local governments have allowed them to expand or start outdoor seating to help with distancing.

Judy, it’s good that you wii be working in the garden center again. Nice job with WS3 Cardio Hit+ One Mile of Motivation.

Diane Sue, I need to take a look at those Amazon Yoga workouts. They sound like they are very helpful.

Hello to Lori, Deb, Valerie, and Christina.

Good morning,

No workouts to report. We did spread the cubic yard of stones in the beds of the yard. John did most of the wheel barrowing, I racked and spread it in the beds. Lots of work for sure.

Valerie, I wish more people would be concerned with their dog's training as you were with yours. Some of the calls I respond to for the dog club are so frustrating.." he's so bad, he's been like this since we got him as a puppy 3 years ago....we need to do something".....After 3 years you come to that conclusion???? Seeing that elk mom and baby must have been amazing. I still have to investigate changing the setting on our router to see if that helps. One of those dreadful tasks.

Carolyn, great job on Pyramid Pump. Agree, doing one of the premixes like "up only" is way better. I may have to find out about a booster for the router...surprised that the cable company did not suggest that to me. I think it may be because they did not provide the router.

Diane Sue, good job on KCM Ramped Up Cardio.

Judy, nice job on Walk Strong. It's good to hear that the employees of HD feel that they have done a good job on sanitizing etc. It would be good if you could work outside the majority of the time. We have patio eating only right now for restaurants. Some of the patios are so small, there is no point in opening to have 2 table of people eating. We went by a local favorite restaurant yesterday, they had to take out a lot of patio tables, to adhere to guidelines. Even with that, there were about 8 cars in the parking lot with people waiting for a table.

Waving to Lori & Christine,

Take care

having a hard time posting this morning....I kept getting an error message, then when it posted, it left off some of what I had written.....very strange. I tried twice to edit and add back what it deleted, but it kept giving me the error message.

good morning. I'll check before I type a lot to see if I get an error message.

Dog obedience classes are way more about teaching the owner than the dog. found the class at the "Y" for little cost. you have to continue enforcing what you learn because dogs aren't stupid and will un-learn quickly. we took our guy everywhere with us. good manners go a long way to make things easier. my aunt had a dog …...beautifully trained when she got him. she let him do whatever he wanted. became totally obnoxious. didn't obey anything. grabbed food, dug in the garbage can, chewed up everything, humped everything, would not come when called etc. she couldn't control on a leash. he ran from her into the road and got hit. huge expense. my sister had dogs like that too. not one second teaching them anything, and the bigger the dog the worse it is. sometimes I think people get little dogs so they don't have to train them but who hasn't seen obnoxious small dogs? its a huge safety issue too. the teacher could take a dog and improve behavior in 5 minutes!. it was impressive.

we are having friends from WA stay here this week so I probably wont be posting much.
deb seeing the elk is not unusual in this area but this was so close so that made it special. elk and deer moms usually hide out to give birth and for a time after and aren't easily seen until the babies can keep up.

Deb this posted fine, no errors .

Last edited:
This morning I did Muscle Endurance, the express premix. That was 57 minutes (not very express) and 245 calories burned. My average heart rate was 113 and maximum heart rate was 161. The 9 minutes of abs at the end lowered my average heart rate for the workout.

Deb, I’m sure that spreading the stones and working in your beds was a workout of a different type. I hope you can get your router to work properly. Sometimes I have to reset mine, but that is just unplugging it, waiting 20 seconds and plugging it back in.

Valerie, enjoy your visit with friends.

Hello to Diane Sue, Lori, Judy, and Christina.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.