Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5-31

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

It's raining here, and we really needed it. Glad is it doing it today, and not yesterday.

Kylee got her title ( finally!) It wasn't pretty, and the judge was pretty generous, but hey, "a leg is a leg" as we say in obedience competition. I was thrilled to say the least. I don't think the Benadryl helped, I was still nervous and a little fuzzy. LOL. I think having Keegan there with John made her feel a little less anxious.

Lynda, that's great about the local film theater..and that you were invited to do a commentary. I am not sure what "all clad" cookware is...we have a couple of mixed up sets, leftovers from Mom, less expensive stuff etc. Our best thing we have are 2 cast iron skillets, one with a cover that I love.

Judy, thanks for the info on the watch, and yes, keep us updated on how you use/like it. Like the new avatar!

Valerie, great to hear that your cousins did well on the hike! Maybe this is a turn around sign. I agree with you on the land line. Ours is part of our Time Warner package, with internet, and I will actually ask people to call me on it if we have to talk for more than a minute. I hate talking on a cell phone too.

Dawn, nice job on week 8. Have you decided what you will do when this rotation is finished?

Josie, yes, we need pics!

Lori, pics of the run from you!

Hi to Deb2,

Housemax today, maybe John will go fishing if it stops raining,

Take care,
Take care,

Lynda, I don't have any All clad cookware... but I've always thought I'd try some and never have. I have calphalon and a cast iron skillet and some good non stick that is I think calphalon also. Please report back after you've used it a few times. I know many love it but I always though it looked like everything would stick to it unless it had a lot of oil.
Deb, congrats on you & Kylee winning a title.
the whole land line thing came up again because our bill went up. we have to rent a modem from them for internet/ land line, or at least that's what they tell us. went up $5 a month, we didn't change anything. I don't talk for hours on the phone but when I do, I want it to be intelligible. I think a cell is fine for very brief conversations but nothing more than that, especially with people who insist on using speaker phones. a waste of time. "what? what did you say? Say that again please? I can't understand you.... " and so on.

Dawn I hear you on pizza. it is my favorite food. usually vegie pizza. I LOVE it. I haven't had any in a couple months now. I save most of my pizza indulgence for longer road trips. when we drive for 12+ hours, it's the easiest and best thing to quickly reheat for dinner. I always eat a big green salad with it... but the pizza has a lot of vegies on it to start with, onions, mushrooms, red and green bell peppers, pineapple, cheese. I top it with red pepper flakes!

Another movie review. Game Change with Julianne Moore as Sarah Palin. I loved it!. you almost forget it's an actress portraying Palin, she nails it that well. If you thought Palin was a viable candidate, you won't like it. it was scary that someone so dreadfully unqualified came so close to reaching the vice presidency, and that Mccain's staff did such a sloppy job of vetting her, and when they realized there was a big problem, that they had no recourse but to forge onward. .

We finished the John adams series. Loved it. recommend highly. watching something called The Tudors about henry the VIII. I'm not following it well, don't know much about this period of history so will need to sdo some background reading.

Last edited:
Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, Judy, and Dawn--

This morning I did TB (74:00). Deb, I watched the timing on this, and if you stop right before she starts doing these big curtsy lunges, it's about 48 minutes, and your legs have been already truly worked out. She also has little stretches in between, so I think you would be fine if you stopped there.

Judy, thanks for the review on the watch. Now I probably want one. I'll see if my Apple son can get one for me at a lower price.

I love all of my pieces of All-Clad. My fry pans have a non-stick coating inside so I don't worry about that and it isn't Teflon, which is supposed to be so bad for you. One of them is ginormous, so it's great, and I use it all the time. I bought their lasagna pan on Friday. It's beautiful and came with a cover that is raised and fits nicely over the top--instead of the usual smooching of plastic wrap or foil on the cheese. I really like good cookware. For braising, I have Le Creuset and a wonderful piece by Staub that roasts chickens to perfection. Nothing wrong with cast iron, and I have four fry pans, and one of them is really big. It's great for doing a whole big box of mushrooms (every different kind) on high heat in the oven. They don't lose any moisture if you do this on 500 degrees. Fast and so good. There is a recipe for this at Epicurious.com. DH has a friend who always gives him a big box of muchrooms at Christmas. I never knew what to do with them until I found this recipe.

Valerie, I saw Game Change when it came out on HBO. It was excellent, but I also thought it aroused some of my sympathy for her. Too soon after having a baby to go through all that prep and that hectic schedule. Maybe some women can bounce back quickly, but she was clearly not one of them. She should have known her own limits. I have seen the John Adams series a couple times. Loved it. You might want to read the biography on which it was based, which is brilliant. I think it won the Pulitzer. The letters are sooooo good. I think Lori is a big fan too.

Dawn, there are a couple exercises on Supercuts that I really don't like--those sit-through thingies. Ugh!

CONGRATS TO KYLEE!!!

Hi all!! What a fun day! I only have a couple of minutes but wanted to post the link to you tube of the video I made of the Color Run. You see me through out in pictures but no video as I was taking the video. For those that do not know what I look like I am in the very first two pictures on the left my DS is on the right and his GF is in the middle. My DS wore the tutu the entire time! Was hysterica! Such a good sport.

Not sure if you can just click on the above link or have to cut and paste into your browser.

I'll check in tomorrow.

What a cool video Lori! It makes me miss running races. I used to love being around all those other people! I did a race in the late 90's, early 2000's where a bunch of the guys wore red dresses. It was so much fun!

Good morning & Happy Monday!

It rained for over 24 hours straight, and finally stopped some time in the night. It is predicted to rain more today. We needed it but this is crazy.

Lori, that is a great video!

Valerie, the only things worse than having a long conversation on a cell phone is having the other person talking to you on speaker, or the other is picking up a message from an answering machine that was left by a person in a car on a cell phone. I pick up and respond to the messages for the dog club's answering machine and most are now left by cell phones. It's bad enough, but when they are driving and trying to leave a message, sometimes I can't even get the number. John goes crazy with this with his office messages.

Lynda, thanks for the timing spot on TB. I will remember that and maybe start to sub TB for some of the STS leg workouts. I went over to Epicurious and copied that mushroom /cast iron skillet recipe.

Hi to Josie, Deb2, Dawn, & Judy,

Looks like house stuff today, rain and only 45-52 degrees predicted,

Take care,

Good Morning everyone,

Yesterday I did SB Total Body Fusion. Lori-you are right, that is a good workout! I want to try her Total Body Fusion Barre next.

Deb-Congrat to Kylee! We had the same weather this weekend. From Saturday afternoon to last night it rained and the temperatures were in the 40's last night. This morning, June 1, I had to turn the heat back on as it was freezing :( It is sunny now though and should warm up a little today.

Dawn & Lynda-I'll post a photo of the Apple Watch so you can see how the screen looks. You can customize the colors and content. I have date, time, local weather, stopwatch, activity (the circle in the middle) and battery percent full. I'll probably change as I get more familiar with the watch and the settings.

Hi to Valerie, Josie & D2,

Judy

Judy, great picture!

Lynda, a quick question...when you use the vitamin C stuff we get on Ebay, do you use it under or over SPF? It doesn't have SPF on its own.

Judy, now you are making me want an Apple Watch! I was really trying to hold out for the next generation!!!! You are killing me!!!! LOL!!

This morning I did both RWH low impact hiit workouts (50:08).

Deb, I always used the essential-C underneath my BB Garnier that has 30 sunscreen. Lately, I've been using Charlotte Tilbury's All Over Glow underneath. I really like it--it's not astringent like the Essential-C, which maybe I will go back to once summer makes my skin slightly oily again. I might try Tilbury's mascara, which I don't ordinarily use, but it has such great reviews for looking natural, I might try.

Lori, great video. I can see why it's so much fun. GOT was really good last night. Love Daenerys and Tyrion together.

Judy, I will definitely be asking for that watch and see if DS comes through. Like your new avatar.

I went to see Olivier Assayas's Clouds of Sils Maria yesterday. I really loved it. Reminded me so much of the films I would teach (especially Persona and L'Avventura which I'm sure Assayas was quoting from). Juliette Binoche, Kristen Stewart, and a small but striking role for Chloe Grace Moretz. Valerie, it's very much a self-reflexive film--a film about film, performance, aging actresses, fame, etc. I think you would like it more than Birdman. I guess there is also the plus of learning about the Maloja snake--a meteorological phenomenon in the Swiss Alps--fascinating.

Just got back from a shortened ride. got windy and started raining so we turned around at the 10 mile point and hustled back. about 21 total miles and at a fast pace because I don't like getting wet. not the end of the world but it doesn't have to rain very hard to be cold and distracting when you're going fast.
great video Lori. Looks like a fun day was had by all!. we have a some rainy weather coming so I should have time to look at the diet stuff you sent.
Unfortunately my shoulder is starting to get slightly sore again even though I haven't done anything significant. not as sore as previously, but it is starting to feel irritated again. not doing anything with it at this point but will discuss with my doc on my appt Friday for annual physical. I
Lynda I'll see if Netflix has that up yet. it's a pretty safe bet that I'd like it better than Birdman...

Deb, I have a SIL and a niece who call using their speaker phone while driving, or while walking around their house. it is mostly a waste of time even when I pick up on the land line. snaps, crackles pops, dead zones. dropped calls.

Judy it's a nice watch... do you still need to carry the smart phone? apple products are always such trend setters but I didn't think wrist watches would come back although I have a sports watch I wear all the time. I like it for it's timer mostly.

Good evening ladies! Today we did Upper Fix at lunch and tonight I decided not to workout. So tired from once again driving all weekend.

Glad you liked the video. Was fun putting it together. We had a great time and DS was such a sport wearing the tutu all day. He was easy to spot when we got separated! Looked for a guy in a skirt with gauges and tattoos. For the record...I do not approve of his gauges at all. He is such a good kid and does that to his ears. I keep telling myself...he does not drink or do drugs and he's even taking summer courses at college so I should be thankful. Anyways, hoping some day he grows out of it.

Deb...yeah congrats to Kylee!! Great to hear! I agree with Lynda you can easily stop TB and make it shorter. I'll check out the premixes next time I am looking at the dvd.

Judy...glad you are enjoying your apple watch. I am still going to try my best and hold out for a bit. Glad you liked the fusion workout. Were you able to complete the lying on your side shoulder work with 8lbs? I start off with 5lbs and drop to 2lbs really quick!!!! Love your new avatar too!

Valerie...I would bike really fast if it started to rain too! I loved John Adams. I recently watched it a month or so ago.

Lynda...GOT was great, watched it last night which is unusual for me but really wanted too! The white walker battle was amazing. Yeah for valyrian steel!!!!

Dawn...great job on completing the rotation. What are you starting next? You mentioned about me eating clean. I have always watched what I ate but it has only been since starting the 21 day that I really took it to a new level and I am actually liking it. Going to stick with it for a while anyways.

Thinking of you Josie!!!!!!

Have a great night all!

Today was XTrain Chest, Back & Shoulders. I added on Tabata #1 because I'm determined that one day I'm going to make it through an entire tabata without stopping. After XTrain, I'll probably go back to one of the generic rotations I have - I like having a framework but being able to use a variety of workouts. I do miss my steady state step!

Lori - I love your video! That looked like lots of fun, and I love your tutus!
Deb- Congratulations to you and Kylee!
Lynda - I don't have the RWH workouts, but that sure sounds like an intense workout you did today!

What's with this weird weather we all seem to be having? It's only in the 50s today by me, and yesterday it was in the 40s. I miss getting outside, I mean IT'S JUNE ALREADY.

Dawn

Good morning & Happy Tuesday,

It's still cold here, we may get to 60 day, or maybe not.

Judy, So do you use the watch like you would a phone? for e-mail etc? We are just shy of the heat going on. I keep the thermostat at 68 downstairs, and at 66 upstairs all year. If it goes on, it goes on. It was 68 in here yesterday, one more degree and it would have gone on.

Lynda, thanks for the info. I have been using this stuff: I really like it. I like the Essential C almost as a finisher, and it has that smoothing effect, where you don't need foundation, but I still want to wear SPF...confusing I know.

http://www.amazon.com/Pura-dor-Vitamin-Hyaluronic-Anti-Oxidants/dp/B00KMCEA4S/ref=sr_1_6?srs=7509172011&ie=UTF8&qid=1433237948&sr=8-6&keywords=pura+dor

Valerie, sorry to hear about your shoulder, you have not been able to pinpoint what happened?

Judy, Gauges? what is that? shows how out of touch I am. I bet he will tire of that at some point, and like you said, he is a good kid, no drugs etc so you just have to wait a bit I guess. If I remember right, there are only 2 premixes on TB, both almost an hour. I can do what Lynda suggested, and just stop at a point. I wish SB would have those fusion workouts on DVD.

Dawn, you should look into the RWHIIT workouts, they are short, great lifting style, and the rotations are great. That series was the first one ( besides STS) that I actually did the rotations and enjoyed them a lot.

Hi to Josie, and Deb2,

Not sure what is up for today, still too cold and wet to garden, tired of HouseMax, but there is always something to do there.

Take care,

Too funny Deb.. 60 is cold?? they are threatening us with 84 by this weekend and I'm dreading it. I hate hot weather.... to me, 84 is hot. I think I'm happiest 45-60 degrees.
Re the shoulder... cortisone shot from 6 weeks ago is wearing off, I guess. the discomfort is very mild and just occasional, but I am starting to wonder if this will heal by itself, enough so I can return to regular upper body workouts. only bothers with certain movements in a certain position. I picked up a 40 lb bag of fertilizer yesterday from over my head into a cart, out of the cart into my car, and around the garage at home with zero discomfort, so it's a very small specific spot that is not involved with a lot of movements. yesterday was Costco, today regular groceries.

Lori I have no idea what gauges are either. I don't have any tattoos and will not get one... anyone else tattoo free? (or tatoo-less) sometimes I feel like the only one. I've read about people having allergies to the ink especially red colors, and after becoming allergic to nickel in jewelry I'm not pressing my luck. ticks me off that I can't even wear an earring anymore.

looks wet today, but if it isn't too rainy I need to do garden max. major weed growth...it's a jungle out there!. I will have snap peas in a couple days, strawberries too. harvested lettuce, swiss chard, coriander for weeks already.

This morning I did RWH ch, sh, tris with core 1 (47:58).

Dawn, I did not buy the whole set of RWH--just the low impact hiit workouts and the weight workouts. My knees really cannot take all the pounding of Cathe's high impact hiit workouts. Deb is right--the 2 low impact workouts are fast and fun. My problem is that I really like a longer workout, so I put the two together and feel like I've done a lot. I sold my tabata workout immediately from the XTrain series.

Deb, that looks like interesting stuff. A lot of good reviews at Amazon. I like the Murad stuff, but only when my skin starts getting oily in the summer. We have only been in the 50s here, and I turn on the heat in the morning. Too cold for me too.

Lori, I'm not sure what gauges are either. I guess I will have to look at the video again and concentrate on the ears instead of the tutu. I did notice the tattoos. Neither one of my sons has any tattoos, although one of them was tempted when he was on the wrestling team in prep school. He thought they might be scary. I was worried about doing any spoilers on GOT, but I totally agree. Terrifying the way the dead rise again, replenishing the army. Glad there's something else to use than dragonglass. I think next week is Stannis hitting Winterfell. Another battle!

Valerie, I like warm weather. 84 is perfect if it's not too humid. Gosh, what a bummer about your shoulder. I guess you will just have to eliminate certain moves (pushups?) from your strength training. Hoisting 40 lb. bags sounds pretty challenging to me.

Hi to Josie and Judy!

Good evening ladies!

Today at lunch we did Barre Fix and again my only workout. Worked late and came home and chose a glass of wine over a workout. Sometimes you just need that glass of wine!

Gauges are when you have these huge rings in your earlobes. Really hoping this phase does not last long. His GF has them too although not as large. They both are loaded with tattoos which really does not bother me. Like I said before it could be worse. He is a great kid so I pick and chose my battles.

Lynda..I am going to rewatch GOT sometime this week. It was that good! I heard on the news this morning that yesterday's temp tied for the coldest recorded in June. Crazy!!!! Can you PM me your last name and mailing address. I have something I would like to send you that I think you may like.

Deb...I too use a vit c product and use it under my suncreen. I feel it makes a huge difference in my skin care. I also use Retin A which has transformed my skin. Started using it at about 44 so close to 10 years now. Completely reversed my sun damage and dark spots. Retin A is amazing!

Valerie...I have no tattoos either and never had the desire too. I do have my ears pieced 3 times though. It was a high school thing and I still like them after all these years. I had a second shot in my left shoulder and that finally did it. if you remember I went and had one in each shoulder in April. At my follow up in May my left was still nagging a bit so we did another shot in the back of the shoulder and she went pretty deep. I have my followup on Thursday and I am thinking all is good.

Dawn...I love Tabatacise!! Very tough. Just keep plugging along and eventually before you know it you will be doing the entire dvd! I feel the same way with rotations. It is very hard for me to stick with one for 3 months as I have so many workouts I like to do. Right now STS is working for me. It is only 3 days a week so I can still do the other workouts I love.

Hi to Judy and Josie!!!!

Today was XTrain Cardio Leg Blast with core - 81 minutes. Good thing I have the time in retirement to do a long workout. I took my daughter's car in for service this morning and the guy who would have driven me back home was out, so I walked home. And I decided to walk back to pick it up this afternoon because it was nice out. So that was a mile each way.

Lori and Valerie - No tattoos for me either, and I'm not planning on any either. My daughter has five, but she has them in areas that can be covered for work. She also had them done by a good artist and takes care of them (avoiding the sun is a big help). And they're tasteful and most importantly not anyone's name!

Deb and Lynda - I wasn't going to get anything in the RWH series, but these are starting to sound real good. Did you catch Cathe's comments on Facebook tonight that she's got a new series planned? I'll need to reread the comments to see if there are any hints I might have missed the first time through.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.