Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/29/2022

Good morning. Today is my rest day. We don’t have anything special planned for the weekend, but we certainly have beautiful weather.

Hello to All and have a wonderful day.

This morning I did Fit Tower Boot Camp 2. A pretty thorough workout. Uses the tower, loop, band, and 10 lb weights. It's a beautiful sunny day here an we are headed for 80.

Valerie do you have binoculars with you to ID the birds you see? Sounds like a good ride yesterday even if it was raining. What's happened with the shootings is beyond comprehension. I did multiple active shooter sessions with law enforcement when I worked at the school for 6 years. The response in TX is nothing like what the protocol is supposed to be and the constantly changing story is beyond frustrating.

we are back, a fairly nasty long 12 hr drive. it rained a lot sometimes heavily. no major traffic tie ups but it was busy all day especially in WA. I dont know what has happened to people but the average driver in WA seems to be an aggressive, speeding, lane changing asshat cutting in and out of lanes like its the Indy 500,and a few seconds will actually matter. very windy besides. Yes, 12 hours of uninterrupted bliss!

this second amendment crap infuriates me. there were certainly grave mistakes made by the officers in texas. we do little to prevent unstable people, in both of the last mass shootings, from accessing weapons and tactical gear that far out strips local law enforcement. other countries have unstable mentally ill people too but its not easy for them to buy military level weapons with no questions asked. it is getting worse every year. its not "freedom" or "liberty" if I have to seriously worry about being gunned down shopping at the local grocery, or if little school kids need to worry about being blown to bits in their classroom. we should be focused on preventing this scenario, rather than reacting to it after it happens.
Okay, done, but I do urge everyone to contact your representatives so maybe we can work toward getting this fixed!

Cathy yes, we have binoculars, big ones and small ones, in hiking packs and bike packs, along with bear spray if we're in grizzly country. I use the Sibley birding app on my phone to ID birds I dont recognize. I never remember bird characteristics well enough, its best to look them up right away.

Last edited:
This morning I did Ellen Barrett’s Feel Good Fusion, a mix of Pilates, dance, and yoga. That was 30 minutes and 139 calories burned. Average heart rate was 116 and maximum heart rate was 139. Then I did Jessica Smith’s One Mile of Motivation for 15 minutes and 116 calories burned. Average heart rate was 137 and maximum heart rate was 157.

Cathy, great job with Fit Tower Bootcamp 2.

Valerie, I’m glad that you made it back, but it does sound like a miserable trip. I share your outrage over the recent tragic situations. As someone who spent almost 40 years working in schools in two different states it is very painful for me to even think about Texas. I worked in San Antonio and in a small town outside of San Antonio and I can almost feel the pain and outrage.

Hello to Judy and Diane Sue. Have a wonderful day everyone.

DH bought expensive binoculars a few months ago with a motion stabilization feature. they are larger. DH loves them! I don't care for them. I still have to sit/lean and prop my elbows to get a good look at anything, and pushing a button to stop jiggling doesn't help much. my eyes are further apart than his too so we constantly adjust the spread or use two different pair. I prefer smaller ones without that feature. we have a spotting scope too but use it from our house and take it in the park sometimes, but its not something you can hike with. we've done outdoor things for a long time and binocs are handy. we always carry a pair.

carolyn seeing this kind of thing must be especially painful for a school employee. I worked in a grocery store for years when I was a starving student. no place is immune anymore but after Sandy Hook I gave up hope of change. maybe something will happen now. I will not vote for anyone who doesn't support changes.
we knew a holiday weekend would be busy so we picked the least busy time. careless aggressive driving was scary. we are not slow drivers but we are driving a truck camper. its big and not agile, but its nothing like a motor home. most drivers especially young ones, do extreme moves to get around/past just because they don't want to be behind a camper. it's impossible to stay in the right lane. people from (especially) rural areas merge onto the freeway without looking AT ALL. guaranteed! they assume there is room for them and that drivers in the right lane should jump out of the way. this is not the law and is not what is taught in drivers ed, but avoiding crashes is our goal. it's stressful when agile zippy cars cut in and out dangerously. we sit a little higher, so we can see some really incredible moves! yesterday was especially unnerving as it was raining with a lot of spray so visibility was not great. we saw several wrecks happen over about 800 miles.

Last edited:
This morning I did Love Me Some of Cardio Kickboxing. It's one of my favorites.

Valerie glad you made it back okay. I swear drivers get worse all the time. I haven't traveled on a holiday weekend in decades. And I try not to travel north on Fridays or South on Sundays ever because of traffic. There are very few times of year when at there aren't people going north for the weekend in Michigan. A lot of people have cottages here. DH and I share a pair of binoculars in the house and every time I grab them I have to adjust them back for me. I have my own pair, but I often leave them in my car.

Carolyn nice job with Feel Good Fusion and One Mile Motivation.

I do not know why, or what tipped the scales, but my neck, shoulder, and back turned terribly painful starting Friday. Weird as my non surgery shoulder was really hurting and my neck was the worst on that side. I have taken days off last week, so I don't get it unless the arthritis just kicked in big time.
I couldn't find my heating pad so got one from Walmart today. Today is better and after icing, using a muscle soak, and taking Advil last night before bed I slept good. I was pretty cautious as I needed to do some PT and wanted to work lower body strength. Friday morning was just mobility and I had a nice time with Grandchildren here. Yesterday was the worst day for me.
Anyway, today's workout was CDorner 50 minutes, legs and abs workout using the fabric loop bands and dumbbells. 58 minutes, heart rate 86/114, 126 calories. I then did PT strength with the band etc., but skipped the rows, and pullover moves as my scapular area was still sore.
Total time was 85 minutes, 189 calories.

CDorner 50 minute legs and abs Chris uses 15 and 20# dbs and heavy fabric loop band

timed 1 minute 3 moves done twice
walking lunge 12# dbs (Chris uses 20's for this)
reverse lunge alternating with 3 pulses each reps 12# dbs
holding 1 db at chest side lunge all right side, then all left side 12# db
repeat

banded heal elevated squats with 10# dbs
wall sit with band calf raise/abduction
floor band and 12# db glute bridge
band only bridge
band bridge heels

abs side plank clam open(she gives option of not a plank, but on knee) repeat on left side
side plank reach overhead or option repeat on left side
on knee leg extended or option of standing oblique with 12# db repeat left side

4 moves all on one side
stationary lunge 12# dbs
deadlift leg lift balance or keep foot on the floor 12# dbs
reverse lunge/knee up/lunge/deadlift with leg lift or foot on floor 12# dbs
angled forward lunge/straighten leg 12# dbs
repeat all moves on the other side

abs skipped as it was oblique crunch reaches (irritates my neck)

stretch

driving gets more extreme all the time. cathy, we debated about whether we wanted to come back this weekend at all because of the holiday, but we couldn't wait until next weekend.
we stay in the middle lane if possible. Try to avoid the right lane dodge that occurs when most cars come down the on-ramp. maybe this is a regional thing? its more common in rural areas. I watch drivers and they look, if at all, when they're almost in the right lane. they assume everyone will move over for them! this is interstate with heavy semi truck traffic. I feel for those big rig drivers! everyone wants them in the right lane but they cant stop on a dime or zip to the left as car after car comes down the on ramp like there isn't a huge truck (s) going 70 mph there already. properly yielding right-of-way is a gigantic factor.

it has been cold and wet here and garden is not looking great. not growing much. will need to replant some things. we had record cold and wet in may.

Today I did Ellen Barrett’s Power 15 which was 15 minutes and 49 calories burned. Average heart rate was 104 and maximum heart rate was 133. This is a high reps upper body workout using light weights, similar to barre strength without the barre. I used 2# dumbbells, the same as Ellen. Then I did Jessica Smith’s Tone and Flow from her 30 Day Plan. That was 32 minutes with 150 calories burned. Average heart rate 114 and maximum heart rate 151. I used 2# and 3# dumbbells.

Cathy, great job with Love Me Some Cardio Kickboxing. It sounds like a fun workout.

Diane Sue, nice job with CDORNER Legs and Abs and your PT exercises. I’m sorry that you are having such pain. I hope that you are better today.

Hello to Valerie and Judy.

Did Fit Tower Total Body with Weights today. That is a very throughout workout! Uses 8-15 lbs, tower, band and mat. Hits all areas and killed my triceps while using no weights for their exercises.

Valerie I see some of the entrance onto highways without looking here, but not to the extent you describe and I do try whenever possible to be in the passing lane when I see people coming on. There really aren't many places at all where I drive that have three lanes. Usually around Kalamazoo, but this is the second year they've been doing construction there and I'm pretty sure it will continue next year and Lansing has few areas with three lanes. Sorry your garden is struggling.

Diane Sue nice job with the Legs, Abs and PT exercises. So sorry to hear about how much pain you are having. I hope it is improving.

Carolyn great job with the Power 15 and Tone and Flow.

Trying to get the basement picked up, vacuumed etc as Nick gets home in a couple days. I came down to vacuum and Mopsy showed up and promptly laid down and went to sleep. Normally he comes in in the morning and naps then goes out again, but he greatly extended his nighttime wanderings this time. And I really try to let sleeping cats lie.

yesterday was warm, 70 ish, and sunny. garden got a lot of attention today and seemed a lot better, maybe just because of the sun. today will be similar. DH worries too much, more things survived than we at first thought. some years are better than others. we did a lot yesterday and it looks much better.

cathy, except for the construction zones the interstate is 3 lanes. even the middle lane has issues. trucks stay right, so when an unaware driver enters the right lane without looking, the truck has to move left into the middle lane. middle has to brake or move left. it's a pervasive problem. the metro area is OK but as we go east, traffic is less crowded, and apparently its not taught to drivers. so pervasive! I looked up the law to be sure something hadn't changed. it seems if people are used to fairly crowded lanes, they get smart and look. in lesser traffic areas they dont bother. we do this drive often so we learned early on the person entering cant be trusted to even glance at traffic flow until they are in it.

This morning I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix workout one for 26 minutes and 191 calories burned. My average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 158. I had virtual WW after that.

Cathy, great job with Fit Tower Total Body with Weights. Good luck with your basement clean up.

Valerie, it‘s good that you didn’t lose as much of your garden as you feared. Our interstate highways are multiple lanes and very stressful to drive. I avoid them as much as possible these days.

Hello to Judy and Diane Sue.

Was short on sleep, so I did P30 Low Impact Hiit and the Step Boss Extended Stretch. Making progress towards things that need to be moved etc for Nick. Since he's not living here, and it's a small house his areas have been taken over. LOL Really hoping I sleep well tonight as it'll be a late one tomorrow. His flight doesn't arrive until almost 10:30 and it's a little over an hour home. Would love to make it by midnight, but we go cross country to Grand Rapids and I have to watch for wildlife. My sister is having lots of fun with hers. She planted some wildflowers behind her house along a wooded area and the squirrels and chipmunks were happily digging them up yesterday. Last Friday night, their camera picked up a mama black bear with three cubs crossing their drive. So the bird feeders are gone which makes the squirrels, birds and deer (who loved to get their share) unhappy. Derek has switched locations in the zoo and he's in the primate area now so I'm looking forward to his report tonight. My incurably curious self is getting lots of behind the scenes info now.

Valerie I'm glad your garden is doing better than you thought it was.

Carolyn great job with Cardio Quick Fix.

Today I did CDorner, #210 sizzling step, 34 minutes, 149 calories, heart rate 115/138, 3,207 steps. I then did PT exercises for 39 minutes, 82 calories, heart rate 83/107. Total times was 73 minutes, 231 calories. I really felt my calorie burn should have been higher this morning for the step workout which was an intermediate workout. I did not sleep well last night, or should I say this morning. Tons of thunder cracking, power off and on, and my dog came to the bedroom whimpering.

I can't believe it's Thursday already. This week flew by. I worked Saturday through Tuesday and that was a lot of steps and exercise. Yesterday I did a 1 hour Peloton Power Zone Endurance ride and 20 minutes of cool down rides. Jessica Smith has a new series out and I ordered a few of the DVDs from Amazon. There were 2 that I didn't think I would use so I didn't order the entire series. I haven't had a chance to do any of the workouts yet but they look like they will be good. Last week I bought a new Garmin running watch, the Forerunner 745. I'm training for a 7 mile race at the end of July and I wanted a newer Garmin to run with since my other one is 5 years old. They've added a lot of new features and I can't wait to get started running with it.

DIane Sue-Great job with CDorner, #210 sizzling step and the PT exercises. I'm sorry about the pain you were having. I hope it is better today.

Carolyn-Great job with Cardio Quick Fix and the Ellen Barret and Jessica Smith workouts. Have you seen Jessica's new series? It's called "Strong & Centered".

Valerie-I'm glad your garden was better than you expected.

Cathy-Great job with Cardio Kickboxing, Fit Tower Total Body with Weights and P30 Low Impact Hiit and the Step Boss Extended Stretch. I hope you can sleep well tonight.

Today I did Ellen Barrett’s Core Yoga for 30 minutes and 103 calories burned. Average heart rate was 109 and maximum heart rate was 141. Then I did her Quick Cardio which was 15 minutes and 94 calories burned. My average heart rate was 124 and maximum heart rate was 159. I decided to take a break from Cathe and do what I think of as recovery workouts this week.

Diane Sue, great job with CDORNER Sizzling Step and your PT exercises. I saw footage of some of the scary lightning in Oklahoma.

Cathy, great job with P30 Low Impact HiiT and the Extended Stretch. I love that workout combination. I hope that you were able to get more sleep.

Judy. great job with the Peloton ride. I looked at Jessica’s new workouts but decided not to get them.

Hello to Valerie.

No workout as I shopped. Then had to find places for all the extra food! Forgot how much more another person adds. At least I now have someone who will eat what I make. Derek does his own bland thing and DH prefers excess sodium etc in his processed food life. Hopefully everything stays on time. With his flight not arriving until almost 10:30, I really don't want it pushed back. Got decent sleep, but debating a nap.

Diane Sue sorry to hear about your rough night. I had a lot of those nights with the last two dogs we had. Thankfully if things upset the cats, they just go hide. Having an 80+ lb dog trying to lay on you isn't a plus. Hopefully things are better tonight. Great job getting in the Sizzling Step and PT exercises on top of bad sleep.

Judy nice job with the Peloton rides. I hope the new watch works well for you.

Carolyn great job with the Core Yoga and Quick Cardio.

We caught some decent weather and rode both yesterday and today in two different places. 15 miles yesterday on the community trail for 1 hr 20 min, and today 2 hours and about 20 miles in a farming area, the area that has the bakery. :) DH and I split an amazing almond croissant. wonderful! did a little more garden work thrown in there around the edges. I need to curtail my urge to buy more plants and let what's growing already get bigger. before adding more.

we are lucky in that we seldom get lightning and thunder here. not never, but not regular. our pets were always pretty laid back about it but it wasn't a frequent thing. we have more than our share of power outs though, related to tree branches and trees on power lines.

Nick was less than an hour from boarding and they delayed the flight by an hour and a half! UGH Doesn't even get in until 11:42 now. So, I'm thinking no workout tomorrow. I'll get woken up because DH has to be up for work. We are going to the zoo in the afternoon, so at least I'll get some walking in.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.