Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/21/2023

Sleep deprived again and rib pain again. I managed a workout though. I did STS 2.0 Body Parts Biceps Express 2.0 no repeats, 31 minutes, 84 calories, heart rate 94/118. I followed it with STS 2.0 Body Parts Triceps Express #2, 21 minutes, 59 calories, heart rate 95/120. I finished with STS 2.0 Mobility #1 18 minutes, 30 calories. I also did half of the upper foam rolling, but ran out of time and needed to pick up my husband from the auto service center. Total time was 60 minutes, 173 calories. I tried to choose things that would not affect my ribs and chest wall too much.
The kneeling work in these workouts does have options for standing.

Biceps
warm up using light tubing, then 5# dumbbells, then moved to heavier dumbbells I think 8's but I did not know we were still warming up and used 12's
Barbell Curls 1 35# 8 reps
Barbell Curls pause 30# 8 reps
kneeling dumbbell sweeper curls alternating 15# dbs 16 total reps
kneeling double arm sweeper curl 15# dbs 10 reps
hammer curl 15# dbs 8 reps
cross body curl alternating 12# dbs 16 total reps
kneeling hammer/cross body curls 6 rnds 15# dbs 4 rnds and dropped to 12 2 rnds
incline curl on stability ball 15# dbs
single arm preacher curl 15# db 8 reps(stability ball)
bands and weight 5 # dbs with tubing
reverse curls 10's 12 reps
wrist curls bar or dumbbells 25# barbell seated on step
cool down

Triceps
warm up with 5 and 8 lb dbs , light tubing
lying overhead extension on step 30# barbell
seated single arm overhead triceps extension 10# db 10 reps R/L
Dips options dip station/tower/or step I used step with a 10# dumbbell in my lap
kneeling single arm kickback R/L 12# db 10 reps (one knee is on the step)
banded overhead extension tubing 10 reps
banded triceps press down I used the boss band option R/L 10 reps
banded reverse grip triceps press down I used boss band green R/L 10 reps

Carolyn, nice work on Perfect Pump Lower Body and extended stretch today. My dvs came at 9:30 this morning. I looked at the times and checked the premixes and moves on the dvds I thought I wanted to do along with equipment. I wrote down the moves before I started. Cathe uses a bit higher weight than I did on most moves. I went down a little from what she said she was using.

Valerie, nice job on getting a 15 mile bike ride in this morning. I hope you can find what is causing your problems.

its a relief to know there is no leak. you cant just rip the walls and ceilings apart to look for water leaks! the problem is pressurizer goes off. sometimes often, other times every 20 minutes. its annoying especially at night. we are not done with the issue but at least we know a there isn't a puddle of water collecting somewhere it shouldn't be, or that a toilet is leaking.

this is probably TMI but what is decided is that the pressurizer pumps water back and forth to maintain pressure so the "same" water moves back and forth, and is not leaking somewhere. this is a relief but we still want to get the problem solved. its not supposed to do that. we hear the pump go on and off a lot. it is likely to wear out the pump and its loud enough to hear at night especially.

Last edited:
Today I did Cathe Live #214, Total Body Giant Sets. I added on STS 2.0 Standing Abs:Metabolic Core and both the upper and lower body foam rolling. I loved the standing abs and the foam rolling. I am impressed with what I’ve seen of STS 2.0 so far. I think this is going to be an awesome series.

Diane Sue- I’m sorry about your sleep. I hope you get more sleep tonight. Great job with CDorner Hiit Step with dumbbells and 80's Rock no equipment hiit and the STS 2.0 Body Parts Biceps & Triceps workouts and Mobility #1.

Carolyn-Great job with Perfect Pump Lower Body and the Extended Stretch.

Valerie-Great job with the 15 mile bike ride. That's good that you don't have a leak.

Hi to Cathy!

Valerie, that is a relief knowing that you do not have a leak.

Judy, good work with Cathe Live #214 Total Body Giant Sets and adding STS 2.0 standing abs metabolic core. I looked at the ab workouts and decided to wait a bit. I liked what I did of the Lower Body Foam Rolling. I chose the first mobility one after I looked at the movements in both of them. I liked these as well.

No workout yesterday as I shopped and this morning I did Boss Bands. Less than an hour till Nick and I head to the airport. Used the new Roku for my workout this morning and it worked fine. Great colors.

Valerie sorry you didn't get to ski, but you did get in a decent uphill walk. Glad the bird app is working for you again. My sister has been using it from FL to pick up birds on their nest cameras in NC. LOL She mostly uses it to see the animals, birds and bugs. She's also yelled at deer to leave her plants alone.

Judy that's great that you have your DVD's. Mine are taking the scenic route. NJ to Philly to Greensboro, to Grand Rapids, then to Kalamazoo and they are now headed for Olivet, but since they weren't there yet a few minutes ago, I don't think they'll be going out for delivery, unless our driver heads out a lot later than I think they do. I'm waiting for the user guide, too, which they've said should be sometime next week. Hoping they'll be OnDemand soon.

Back in a bit.

This morning I did KCM’s Power Splits Upper Body for 36 minutes and 178 calories burned. My average heart rate was 122 and maximum heart rate was 164.

Diane Sue, great job jumping right in to STS 2.0 with the Body Parts Express workouts and Mobility #1. I’m sorry that you aren’t able to sleep well.

Judy, great job with Cathe Live Total Body Giant Sets and STS 2.0 Standing Abs and foam rolling.

Valerie, I hope that you can find the source of the water pressure problem. It’s good that it isn’t a leak.

Cathy, nice job with Boss Bands and getting your shopping done.

Have a good day everyone.

I'm back and Nick is in the air. No idea what is happening with my workouts. It's been saying all day that they are on their way to their destination from Kalamazoo and it's barely an hour, and even if they stopped at other PO it should be there by now. Crazy. And they are coming Priority Mail.

Judy nice job with KCM’s Power Splits Upper Body, Live #214, Total Body Giant Sets and the STS 2.0 abs and foam rolling. Jealous. Fingers crossed they are finished putting them on On Demand then I don't have to wait. I'd planned to try the ab, mobility and foam rolling ones.

Diane Sue that's great that you were able to start doing the STS workouts. More jealous. LOL Sorry to hear that you are having sleep issues and rib pain still.

Carolyn great job with Perfect Pump Lower Body and the Extended Stretch.

Today I did 4 Day Split Lower Intensity Step skipping the stretch, 32 minutes, 154 calories, heart rate 121/147,3,986 steps. I then did STS 2.0 Body Parts Legs Express #1 no repeats, 38 minutes, 106 calories, 99/123 heart rate, 250 steps. I finished off with STS 2.0 Recovery Total Body Stretch, 27 minutes adding a bit of rolling, 40 calories. Total time was 97 minutes, 300 calories, 4,236 steps.

Body Parts Legs Express no repeats
warm up
weight warm up squats 10's/10 reps, 12's/8 reps, 15's 8 reps
Squats #1 25# dbs 8 reps
squats #2 with fabric loop and 25# dbs 10 reps
squats #4 heels elevated squats with weights on shoulders 15# dbs 10 reps
Deadlift #1 25# dbs 8 reps
close grip sumo squat 40# db 10 reps
static lunge rear R/L 15# dbs 10 reps
side lunge # 1R/L 15# db 10 reps
elevated lunge R/L 15# db 12 reps
forward leaning elevated lunge R/L 20# db 12 reps
Barbell Hip thrusts # 1 I used 30# dumbbell option
side lying hip raise using fabric loop L/R 12 reps
calves in a box 15# dbs 16 reps each direction then a bonus of 8 reps each direction(this is 96 reps total)

This morning I did JS One Mile of Motivation for 15 minutes and 120 calories burned. After that I did STS 2.0 Chair Yoga which was 21 minutes. I wanted a light workout today and this was just right.

Diane Sue, great job with 4DS Lower Intensity Step, STS 2.0 Body Parts Legs Express, and STS 2.0 Total Body Stretch. Thanks for listing the leg exercises. That workout looks like something that I would like.

Cathy, I hope that your STS arrives today. I know how much you are looking forward to doing them. Maybe on demand will be available.

Hello to Valerie and Judy.

I was able to start previewing the workouts with On Demand last night. This morning I did my finished cardio and then the new metabolic core with the weight plates and finished with the lower body foam rolling. The foam rolling ones are really more instructional in nature as she stresses that people should take the moves and use them as they need them. My DVD's arrived this afternoon and at some point I'll make sure they are all okay, but I love the way OnDemand is set up on the Roku TV as it's easier to use that then deal with a DVD. Normally I'd hope that the Guide would quickly follow since the OnDemand part is uploaded, but it's a holiday weekend and I'm sure they could all use a break. So, I'm not expecting it till at least the middle of the week. Hoping to be able to start a rotation June 1.

Diane Sue great job with 4 Day Split Lower Intensity Step, STS 2.0 Body Parts Legs Express #1 and the stretch. How did you like the Body Parts workout? At some point I want to do a rotation using the Body Parts ones, but I don't know if I'll do it first.

Carolyn nice job with JS One Mile of Motivation and the Chair Yoga. How did you like the yoga workout?

Cathy, the chair yoga is very similar to the chair stretch on the IMAX 4 dvd. There is more emphasis on breathing and some repetition of poses as one would expect with yoga. I liked it just fine and I feel like I got a good stretch.

I did a mt bike ride around the neighborhood yesterday for 5 miles about an hour. all on paved roads so not challenging but there are significant hills. Not flat! today we did a hike about 1.5 hours at a state park. we expected "busy" but even tho the campground was full, it was early and still quiet. we don't join the mobs going "somewhere" so a nice uphill/downhill walk was fine. its near the water and a lot of things are blooming and all leafed out. especially the nettle.

this afternoon Im spraying packs and clothes with permethrin . drying now. on our last visit I found several ticks on me and my clothes. still snowy then, thought it was too early. surprise, it wasnt. this is tick season for sure now so spraying our packs, pants, shirts. boots if I have enough spray but they are leather and I think spray rubs off too quickly to matter. socks would be good too. I dont have special socks and I dont want to spray an entire drawer full. I spray the packs first, then spray the clothing on top of the packs so extra spray ends up on the packs. dont want to waste it on the gravel. we have deer and elk all over our property so no doubt we have a tick population there too.

Today I did Raw Box 4 your waistline which I really am enjoying, 32 minutes, 174 calories, heart rate 134/153,1,252 steps. I followed this with STS 2.0 Abs premix standing abs metabolic core +mini ball, 22 minutes, heart rate 98/124, 66 calories. I used the 5 and 10# weight plates like Cathe and a pilates ball. I finished off with STS 2.0 mobility #2, 17 minutes, 28 calories. Total time spent was 71 minutes, 268 calories, 1,876 steps. I will try to get in the shoulders and back next week. Not sure about chest till I look at it. Chest and shoulders are areas I keep lighter. I already did all of the body parts Monday with CDorner anyway.
I finally got a bit more sleep, but things like a silly alarm clock that just decided to start going off at 12:40 am. My husband both tried to follow the guide and could not shut the alarm off. I just unplugged it and took it out of the room. This morning I got on Youtube which is where the last time I needed to reset the time I found a video for the clock. Instructions that work are completely different than in the manual. I wrote the correct instructions for setting last time on the front of the manual. Today I wrote them for shutting off the alarm. I spent two evening messing with that clock. The first when it started waking me and then last night I got in be and it did it again and between my husband and I we were messing with it till 1 am. I was ready to just get another clock! China does not do well on instructions. I never have figured out my wifi connected light switches. I tried and instructions did not work that I got off line.

Cathy, I hope that your workouts show up soon. That is the one thing I did like about getting the downloads, is that I had them right away even if they had not landed on my doorstep yet. Although it seems I usually got them downloaded and the dvds showed up within a day. I did not do downloads this time. I love the case the dvds came in. It is really nice. I figured doing the Body Parts Express would give me an idea of what I would be doing with the entire workouts. There are some moves that are just one set while others would be 2 or 3 sets if done as a full workout. The foam rolling workout is nice. I liked the mobility that I did today a lot. Yes, I noticed that the foam rolling was more instructional with pointers. I like the way CDorner does them as a workout. Although you get to hear her chatter about things throughout. For me lower body is always the one I would like to avoid. I get bored to death when an instructor stays in one spot like the thigh or a calf and you are just lying there looking for a knot which seems endless. Chris says you should stay on that knot for 30 seconds or so. I have turned on a video on youtube of the foam rolling and turned on something else like make up or clothing on youtube to take away the boredom. I mainly do a couple of go to moves that work for me when something feels tight and needs it. I think they said the middle of next week for the guide. I have been putting in the dvd and writing down the moves ahead of time and equipment before I start the workouts. It will be nice when the guide is here because I usually print up plenty of work sheets and it is nice to see the order and reps etc.. I really am liking the Body Parts workouts so far. They are not fast paced and I can work with them well with the options given. Cathe seems to instruct a little more on these which I like. I did go lighter than Cathe for almost everything. I think the hip lifts on the step with the barbell looked like she had maybe 70 # minus the weight of the bar on it. With 6 orange weight plates and two of the black ones. I use the Beach Body Barbell from Les Mills Pump with similar weights and the bar is 5#.

Valerie, I am sure with a holiday weekend everything like that is busy. I was going to do a Whole Foods order and then thought the stores will probably be low on stuff and I won't get everything I want. I hate bugs. Dealing with the ticks would be bad. Nettle is not fun to get around. I always got welts all over me when I was a kid and we lived in England. I don't know why I thought I wanted to keep going back and exploring the woods so much.

Carolyn, nice work with Kelly's Power Splits Upper Body yesterday and Today's JS 1 mile to motivation and STS 2.0 chair stretch. I checked out part of the active stretch yesterday and decided to save it when I wanted something more to get things moving before weights or a day when I am not working out. Particularly when you start out in bear position and walking out and in on the hands. I was not in the mood for it. Mainly my mood was not wonderful yesterday, too many complications all day long. One of those days where I should have probably given up the work out. The Body Part express workouts are a nice way to see what weights you will want to use and equipment options before doing the whole thing. Plus they are a nice length. Not fast paced either.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.