Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 4/4

This morning I did Perfect Pump Upper Body for 33 minutes and 201 calories burned. My average heart rate was 128 and maximum heart rate was 158. We had a busy morning again today. The plumber was here to repair two problems in one of the bathrooms. It started while my daughter was here in December, but we didn’t want to have anyone in the house at that time. Anyway we had that repaired, and the landscapers were here to remove some of the front shrubs that are out of control. My husband’s trainer also came and I needed to go to Costco because I was out of coffee beans. What a crazy day!

Judy, nice work with the RWH upper body workouts and the Peloton HiiT. RWH has some very serious strength workouts. They remind me of STS. I don’t blame you for taking a little time off from HD until you are fully vaccinated.

Valerie, you deserve a day off. You have been working very hard lately. That’s funny about your husband and the grill. It reminds me of my Father’s efforts. Grilling back then usually involved low, slow cooking on charcoal, which he was terrible at doing! My family was so happy when my brother took over that task.

Hello to Diane Sue, Deb, Cathy, and Lori.

Yesterday was the last leg day of STS! Today was shopping, so I just stretched. Waited to get gas until I got to the town closer to home and I had planned to go in and reload my fuel card, but there was a guy going in with no mask, just as a woman was coming out with no mask. So, I didn't go in. When I got home, I emailed the company and they said they pass on the info to the appropriate personnel. There is still a mask rule in place here, and like Judy said cases are increasing here again. Our county, next to Lansing, but containing some of greater Lansing, has less than half the population, but is running neck and neck in new cases. Ugh. And of course, it's spring break and people are heading south. Our school district had already had to go back to virtual for K-12 because of the number of cases and exposures. Where I shop everyone is wearing masks, yet so many people in that community are traveling that the superintendent announced they will have an additional week of break to try and keep potential cases down. But, that is a wealthy community so many may just opt to stay gone longer.

Valerie that is definitely some great endurance conditioning you are getting in. I didn't realize your ski season would last that much longer. Even the places still making snow here will be done soon. I'm not sure anywhere in Michigan except maybe some of the higher elevation, forested areas still have snow.

Carolyn great job on Rock'm Sock'm!

Judy good choice to take some time off. Great job on those RWH workouts and Peloton rides!

Today I did Step Sync, combos 1 and 2, for 33 minutes and 230 calories burned. Average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 153.

Cathy, great job with STS Legs.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Cathy congrats on finishing STS. a long tough commitment.

I think we need to keep an eye on what's happening in Europe and south America. they are having virus surges and some variants are worse than the original version. I am not locked down and suffering. wearing a mask and not doing group things is fine with me. No way to tell who will get very sick and who will skate thru. its not just about "me" its about overall number of sick and dying people. I am DONE with morons who act like this is "nothing"...... its not "nothing" when people you know die of it. I dont think I would personally be vulnerable to it because of my overall health history, but no way am I testing that theory!

I didn't understand about mountains and snowpack until I lived here. we have a lot of large mountain ranges with volcanic peaks of 12-14000 feet. perpetual glaciers, snow and ice there, but the surrounding lesser peaks create their own refrigerator and snow lasts a long time, gradually melting out over summer and feeding streams and rivers. we gradually get access to higher and higher elevations as the melt out continues. for DH and myself, we ski roads until June many years. Hiking then gradually opens up to higher and higher locations. walking on snow is Ok but often need snowshoes, spikes, or you end up "post holing". we ski the roads as they slowly melt out. not many people do that, is fine with me. right now the ski areas at the closest mountain pass ( 4000-5000 feet elevation) have a base of 152 inches and we still are getting snow the last couple days. most ski areas close down in May due to lack of interest not lack of snow. good backcountry skiers ski thru the summer but you need downhill boots /skis and some skill. I think of xc skiing as hiking or riding, a faster method than walking to cover mileage. a way to travel efficiently over snow without sinking in much. I love it.

Did stacked upper body and abs from x train yesterday. today is last official day of yard project so almost done.

Officially done with STS now, so I have to figure out what I'm doing until May. Probably an upper body, a lower body, and a total body each week and then cardio and core to fill in, but next week will just be cardio and core. Going to look over the Cathe Live weight workouts.

Boys went on a salamander adventure last night. The large park in Marquette has a road that is now closed every year from evening till morning, so they can safely move about. Apparently, they are all over the place. Would be cool to see, and I'm so glad they are taking time to do things together, because once Nick heads to Texas their future opportunities may be pretty much gone. It's unlikely they will end up in the same place.

Valerie that's fascinating about the snowpack. Nothing like that here. Some places have closed already and some still have snow they made, but it's gotten to warm to make more. There's a resort up in the Keeweenaw Peninsula for extreme skiers. Including the ability to take groups in a Snowcat up to a remote mountain to ski down. Noting of course that said mountain, is something you would not consider a mountain. LOL Great job with the stacked upper body and abs!

Yesterday I did Coffey Fit Raw Hi/Lo step 39 minutes, 218 calories, heart rate 138/171, 4,240 steps and CDorner Cardio Step Workout # 106 first half with an added stretch of my own, 21:38 minutes, heart rate 132/169, 1,657 steps. Total time was 60 minutes, 329 calories, and 5,897 steps.
This morning I did CDorner Dance Workout Wham! 59 minutes, heart rate 143/169, 344 calories, 5,092 steps. This was fun and the music was a lot of the song Wake Me Up with some slower songs for learning the next moves and ended with stretch and Careless Whisper. I have two left feet and tripped up a bit, but she is such a good instructor and as many times as we went through the moves I pretty well had it by the end. I wouldn't want someone watching me as I probably looked silly since I am so stiff and not a loose personality. Anyway, I enjoyed it and it was low impact and on the floor. I also did all of the latest mobility this time which was from head to toe and no down dog moves. This was 27 minutes, 48 calories, heart rate 82/106, 72 steps. Total time was 86 minutes, 392 calories, 5,974 steps. I do not have the grandchildren today so I stayed up till 1 am cleaning the master, putting shelf liner in the under the sink cabinets and gave Gertie a bath which was quite an experience. Everything is so high in here. My husband had replaced the shower head with a handheld which is what I use when I give her a bath. (actually there are two shower heads in the shower) . I had to stand on my toes and work to get it down and then it did not come all the way down to the floor, it just dangled spraying water. Gertie marched right in till I tried to reach over her and push her within reach of the shower head and she was ready to leave. It is a walk in shower. Finally I got her settled and I stood over her and stroked her while giving her the shower. She does not like change I guess.
I need to go to the bank and get some more things cleared out in the garage today. Also I need to do some cooking and meal planning.

Carolyn DH has a "thing" about food being "done". I don't eat raw things, sushi will never cross my lips, but I also don't like things cooked to rubber. I like shrimp. he wants them over cooked so we seldom have them. really, he cant cook. or he shouldn't cook.... things he fusses over don't get made often.
yesterday last official day of our yard project. today they will finish a few odds and ends and clean up. a huge success. also a huge mess. it rained a lot last night and this morning its raining and sleeting. sigh. almost spring. total mudfest out there. we were busy all day with decisions and choices . no workout. got in a
costco run and the car tires swapped out from snows to regular tires, ran out of time.

diane sue I think I know what you mean about "high". we have rented and stayed at hotels where the shower head is so high I can barely get my hair wet, and can't reach the handheld device. sometimes counter tops are ridiculously high, as are beds using a huge box spring. one house we rented I used a step to get onto the bed. when we built our houses, I made a point with the contractor early on to make counter tops "normal" height, and shower heads lower. I dont know anyone 6'5", so I don't get the overall accommodation to ridiculously tall people. I want things low enough to reach them. I am NOT that short.... even if less convenient for taller people, they will be able to reach, whereas I cant reach tall things at all. Its a big deal to reposition shower heads after construction is complete.

so when I say "a lot of snow", this is the road up to mt baker ski area, the mountain I am closest to. a lot of snow falls directly, they got 700 inches so far his year with another foot last night. and some areas snow slides pile it up even deeper. they are road clearing. some years there is more than others, but this is likely April of some year. most years this is snow free around august

1618074321901.png

Last edited:
This morning I did Live Cardio Kickbox Mashup. Not a fan. Got a good workout, parts were okay. Not sure exactly what it was, though I was distracted by what to my mind were really ugly leggings. Sometimes what she's wearing isn't something I would choose, but they were seriously bad IMHO. LOL

I am very familiar with the too high thing. I only keep stuff on the top shelf of my cupboards that I never use. I don't use the upstairs shower at all. It's also one of the detachable ones, but I pretty much have to stand on the side of the tub to reach it. And hotel showers! The one that really bugs me are businesses who have their counters that are practically at my neck level and I have to stand on my tip toes to use their card readers or sign things. After 25 years, DH still hasn't accepted the fact that I sometimes climb on counters, but there's a long history of woman in my family standing on counters, tables etc.

Diane Sue the workout sounds fun! I'm sure you'll be happy when everything is finally set up the way you want it.

Valerie hope they get everything cleaned up today. Definitely doesn't sound like a fun day to do it.

DH mowed the main part of the back yard this morning and I can hear the neighbors now. First time of the year.

Today I was planning on doing Strong and Sweaty Bootcamp, but I just didn’t feel like doing that. I considered another workout, but decided to make this a rest day instead. I had a meeting this morning and it would have been a rushed workout anyway.

Diane Sue, nice work with the Raw and CDorner workouts. I’m sure that I would enjoy the Wham dance cardio since I really like their music. In my opinion stumbling through the steps is fine if you are having fun.

Cathy, congratulations on completing STS. I had to find the video clip of that Live kickboxing just to see Cathe’s leggings. They are unusual, probably not my choice either.

Valerie, that’s great that your outdoor project is finished. That is quite a mountain! I have never been near snow like that. We have a rainy, cool day here. The type of day where I just want to curl up and read.

Hello to Judy, Deb, and Lori.

Cathy you are right about the card readers. I cant even see the display unless I tweak the screen. Im OK as long as things adjust. Not with shower heads counter top heights! when I use high sinks, the water runs right down my arms and up my sleeves. I dont use top shelves in my cabinets except for storage.

when we built our vacation house, higher counter tops were an option. but if you look around, most people are not that tall. I remember getting ticked off trying to find pants that might fit DH. it struck me that nobody I know, or one person, has an inseam to fit the lengths that filled the rack. most men do not have 36 inch inseams. Men buy the only pants they can find and let the pants legs drag on the ground. it's like garments are designed for maybe 10% of the population. consumers overall becoming more ethnically mixed, asian and mexican men tend shorter and maybe that's why its getting somewhat easier to find "short" sizes.

That is not what our "local" roads look like, , but when we go to the mountains, that is what kind of snow we get here. higher elevations get lots more. the pic is around 5000 feet elevation, but mt baker is one of the heaviest snow areas. road gets cleared for summer access to parking area.

I took a look at the video clip and yes, those are some seriously ugly leggings. unappealing pattern, no one would look good in those.

Last edited:
his morning I did Perfect 30 Low Impact Hiit, 34 minutes, 191 calories, heart rate 137/167. I forgot to check the steps before I started. This is not one of my favorite workouts. It seems like mostly drills repeated and is rather boring. I wanted to do CDorner new step workout 80s music. It is not up yet. I then did CDorner #165 leg and booty just the first round since it is done 3 times with "changes" with the warm up and cooldown that is at 57 minutes if done in its entirety. This was 31 minutes, heart rate 99/130, 90 calories, 223 steps as I remembered to check before I started this one. Total time was 65 minutes, 281 calories.
I wonder where the guy that mowed our lawn two weeks ago is. I hurried my workout expecting him to come and mow. I need to trim some plants that are coming up from the bottom. I see one rose on the rose bushes and all of the dead stuff from last season. Also other bushes. The bulbs are dying off in front. Fortunately we have a nice row of tall junipers along the fence.

Valerie, that is a real lot of snow. I like my food well done, but not burnt. Although my husband and I disagree on what you would call burnt sometimes. I have been trying to find low carb recipes without vegetables for him and it is quite a challenge. We have done this before though and I have a few that work. Although the low cab biscuits I made last time we did this does not seem to be something he likes this time. He says they are too dry. I love shrimp. Preferably not breaded. They are wonderful in a stir fry or something. Those and scallops. I should dig out my coconut curry scallop recipe. I used to make it and put it on top of baby spinach. My granddaughters husband says coconut is made by the devil :p When we have my husbands birthday or fathers day and I make German Chocolate cake I make brownies or something for the coconut haters. The curry uses coconut milk, not coconut shreds though. My bathroom counter is several inches higher and the mirror is even higher. I saw hand prints all over the mirror aftermy grandchildren left last week and my 6 year old grandson had to have climbed on the counter to put those hand prints where he did. Wondered if he lotioned them up first! My husband buys unhemmed pants and I hem them as he is in between in length for most pants and they are either too short or too long.

Cathy, I take a bath in the guest bath as I am not going to try and mess with the shower. They even put a shelf in the tub/shower that is way high. My husband uses the walk in and the master does have a whirlpool tub. He sleeps days and I won't disturb him to bathe in there. Besides I always choose the bath close to the workout room and use a closet that area for my clothes. My husband bought me a ladder that is lighter with big steps on it and 4 steps high, to go along with the two step high step I already had. Otherwise to get to the lower cabinets top shelf I have to use the small one. The ones at the very top by the ceiling requires the tall one. Kind of inconvenient dragging out a ladder. I have the things I use the most crammed into the lower shelves. Same with the pantry. LOL on standing on the counters. I have done that forever. I am pretty good at just hopping up there and standing on it and hopping off. I often think as I age, it probably will not be a good idea LOL I think that I know which workout you are referring to. Doesn't she do boxing and other varieties of cardio in that one. I remember a couple of videos with really strange leggings. Most are cute though. I have not had experience with counters too high in businesses. That would be weird. CDonner loves leggings and wears some interesting ones. A lot are shiny and I would probably not wear them myself, but they look good on her.

Carolyn, I felt I did not do too bad on the dance workout as I got into it and it was really fun with the music played. I just had one particular area where I kept starting with the wrong foot. I was getting it by the end, so if I did it again I probably would do much better. Sometimes we just need a rest day. I should pay attention to my Garmin. It has an area that tells how much your body is recharged (Body Battery) and goes by energy expenditures and sleep etc.. It seems to be going down every day right now I am at 33/100 charged. It suggests if you are low it probably means it is time to take a rest day. It says minus 27 drained. It is down 13 points from when I woke up. Higher body battery means you are charged up for activity and lower means you are drained and you might need a break.

Just getting caught up on reading posts. We've been working on a closet project the past few days. It's something we've been wanting to do for a long time and with me not working this weekend we finally had time for it. This is what we are doing:

I managed to get a couple of workouts in. Friday I did RWH Shoulders & Triceps with Bonus Abs 1 and yesterday I did a 30 minute Peloton ride.

Cathy-I agree about the leggings. Most are really cute but those weren't ones that I would wear.
Congratulations on finishing STS. I really think that I will try another round later this year. I feel like the RWH workouts are helping me to prepare for that.

Carolyn-Great job with Step Sync. I will have to revisit the Step Boss series eventually but I haven't been motivated to do step workouts recently. I would enjoy the Wham dance cardio too. That was great music!

Valerie-Wow! That is a lot of snow!

Diane Sue-Great job with the CDorner workouts. I'm not good at dance workouts but I will have to look at the Wham dance one. That sounds like fun.

Hi to Deb & Lori

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.