Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 4/4

fox2star

Cathlete
Today I did Live Metabolic Circuit, 46 minutes, 267 calories.

Happy Easter everyone!

we are going to my brother's house for brunch....outdoors....under a tent with heaters.....Hope is gets warmer!

Have a great day!

Good morning. I did Stacked upper body yesterday. I've been feeling sick the last few days, but am done with the medication causing it. not sick enough to be in bed but it caused GI distress mainly at night. last night was decent for the first night in several.

Good workout Deb.

Diane sue you are doing great getting in your workouts so soon after moving.

I miss those kind of events. we are "out" of family here. will have a quiet day here, hopefully working in the garden. our outdoor project is 2 weeks in. what an incredible mess. a week to go. Mess was expected but still cant do any of normal spring planting. walls aren't not all up yet, and heavy equipment is all over the place. the people are doing a good job. it is a way bigger deal than we could have done ourselves. it will be very nice when completed. but there will be plenty of clean up planting for us to do immediately after they finish. when I look at the walls DH and I constructed, I'm amazed that the two of us did what we did. we did it all with a hand truck and shovels.

Happy Easter everyone!

This morning I did Live All Low Impact Kickboxing, Hiit and Core. Fun workout. Alternates kickboxing combo with 3 Hiit moves done on both sides.

Deb great job on Metabolic Circuit!

Valerie glad you were finally able to get a good nights sleep. Always makes such a huge difference! Great job on the Stacked Upper Body. Sounds like your project continues to move along well. I imagine it is a huge mess though.

I’m off to figure out my non STS workouts for the week.

Happy Easter my friends!

Hope everyone has been well! Wanted to pop on and give an update on Bob. So much has happened since I last came on with an update. Once he had the pacemaker inserted, he seemed to take a turn for the worse instead of better. Came home one day and found him face down in the living room wedged between coffee table and couch He had fallen and did not have the strength to get up. So there he laid for 4 hours till I came home. He could not reach his phone and he did not have his apple watch on. scared me half to death when I saw him, then it broke my heart. Called an abulance and he spent several days in the hospital. Then less than a couple weeks later he was back in for 4 days. His potassium level was dangerously high so he had to go to ER. Apparently too high potassium can stop your heart. This was a couple of weeks ago...and now that they got potassium level balanced they need to figure out why his blood pressure gets too low and why he is always out of breath Both of these are causing him to fall/pass out and they are closely monitoring. They changed all his meds around which seemed to help him immediately. He has a nurse and a PT that is visiting every week. We finally do believe he has turned the corner and is on the mend. It will take some time but he is on the right path finally. It has been a very tough year for him.

We both received our 2nd vaccine shot on Friday and are so relieved. Bob had no reaction with either shot but on Saturday I woke up with a headache, was exhausted and by afternoon had nasal congestion. Woke up this morning and I feel fine. So it lasted only a few hours. Thank goodness.

Despite all that has been going on, we are both still so happy we moved to Florida. We can’t imagine him dealing with all this, plus the cold and snow! At least here, he has the pool where he can go and chill on days he is not feeling well or just sit on the patio, year around enjoying the fresh air. He loves to do both.

Workouts could be better. My main workout lately has just been power walking GiGi twice a day with long bounces and weights on the weekend. I have made a commitment to myself to start working out in the morning again beginning tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Not sure if I mentioned I am working at Tijuana Flats, as office manager, and love my job. My CEO was a previous CEO at Bertucci’s and he hired me right away. They have been great with flexibility when I need it.

I am going to read the last few weeks of posts to catch up with everything that has been going on.

Have a great evening! And again, hope everyone has been well!

Lori, I’m so glad to hear from. I have thought about you often and wondered how Bob was doing. I know that it was very scary to have him passing out like that. My husband went through a similar situation for a couple of months last spring, but nothing as serious as Bob. His problem was low blood pressure related to his medications. After some changes in medication he is doing much better. I hope that the doctors can find out what is causing your husband’s problem. Please take care and know that the two of you are in my prayers.

Happy Easter
No workout today. We went to church and some of the family came over. We are going to do an Easter gathering and a family member's birthday on the 18th as not everyone's schedules were working for today. My husband has finally got a couple of weekends off so that makes it better for us.
More emptying boxes and putting things away. My husband would like to get things put up, and I think we are going to put some things in the attic. We were trying to avoid it. We had nothing in the attic before we moved. I swept up outside and put the cover over the gas grill. It is in a rock wall with granite counter top. Really nice, except I am am so used to using a charcoal grill. I need to clean the grates. I always kept my as shiny clean as I could. I have had family members laugh at me keeping it clean like that. I scrubbed the grates on my smoker and put them in the dishwasher. I figured out the sprinkler system and had it run this morning. We have a lot of those move in extras coming via Amazon. Black out curtains and rods were a must since my husband works nights.

Lori, it is good to hear from you. I am sorry your husband has been going through all of that. How frightening for both of you. I hope that they find out what the problem is soon. I am glad you found a job with one of the CEO's where you worked before and they work with your needs.

Deb, nice work on Live Metabolic Circuit. I hope it was not too cold during brunch and that you had a nice time.

Valerie, I bet it will move much faster for them doing the wall terracing. There is usually always some clean up after heavy equipment comes in and dirt is moved. I am glad the you are feeling better and was able to finally sleep. Good workout today.

Cathy, that one was a fun live workout. Nice work.

Hello to Judy!

Hi Everyone,

Thursday I did Cathe Live Boxing HiiT Express then RWH Chest, Shoulders and Triceps Timesaver Premix.
Friday and Saturday most of my exercise was from work. I did Yin Yoga Saturday night.
Yesterday I did a Peloton HiiT ride before work. I only had a 4 hour shift so it wasn't bad.

Lori, It was so good to hear from you. I'm so sorry about Bob. That must be so difficult for you both. I hope his doctors finds a solution and that he is feeling much better soon. That's really good that you found a job with someone you know.

Deb-Great job with Metabolic Circuit. We sold a lot of grills and patio heaters at HD this weekend so I think lots of other people are planning outdoor get togethers.

Cathy-Nice job with Live All Low Impact Kickboxing, Hiit and Core. I really liked the Boxing HiiT Express workout.

Diane Sue-Gas grills seem to be the most popular at HD. It sounds like you are getting settled in and enjoying your new home.

Valerie-Nice job with Stacked Up Upper Body. I'm glad you feel better.

Hi to Carolyn

Lori so good to hear from you. I know more about pacemakers than most people. I have a very simple problem that the pacemaker addresses but there were some times in the first few months when I didn't think it would ever be right. they are an amazing number of features that can be adjusted in infinite ways. it takes a while to sort out what each individual needs, and then it can be tailored to that person. He might need a medic alert device to wear, just to be sure he has a way to notify someone if he needs help. all you need to be able to do is press a button. I get tired of dragging my phone everywhere. Cardiac issues are well researched and understood so hopefully he will get tuned up, feel better and be less restricted.

no formal exercise yesterday, did a load of garden work on the areas not affected by the wall project. they are supposed to finish this week but that seems like a stretch to me. we are fine with them taking longer if needed. they are working under our deck right now and can't use big machinery so its manual now and will take longer.

Good luck with the grill grates Diane sue. I've tried everything to keep food from sticking. for me, nothing has worked well. I don't cook fatty things or even things with skin, so getting to "no stick" has been challenging. we have a gas grill but don't use it that much partly due to the clean up after grilling. ours says to close the lid and turn up heat for 15 min after cooking, to burn off residue. so-so results.

back again....we mt biked today for 1 hr 40 min. our usual spot but they are doing some logging so its a little different time.

Last edited:
Today I did Low Impact Sweat, both workouts, for 46 minutes and 293 calories burned. My average heart rate was 127 and maximum heart rate was 154.

Diane Sue, I’m sure that you enjoyed having family over yesterday. We have had a gas grill for so many years that I can’t remember our last charcoal grill. I think of it as an extension of the kitchen and it’s so handy. We turn up the heat after cooking as the manufacturer recommended and we use a grill brush to brush off the residue. Cleaning them has never been a problem for us.

Judy, great job with Live Boxing HiiT Express, RWH Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps, and Yin Yoga.

Cathy, great job with Live Low Impact Kickboxing, HiiT, and Core.

Valerie, outdoor projects are definitely messy. Hopefully they will be able to finish this week.

Hello to Deb and Lori. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Today I did CDorner Latin Step for 35 minutes. I had to stop and help my grandson with his school work and it took too long. I just went ahead and stopped my watch. I liked it okay, but kept having to make stops and it is kind of dancey and doing the choreography was going well enough, but I need to adjust where my weights are stacked because I had to limit steps off the ends of the bench with the cha cha's and mambos and on and off the step. I should try the other room as I think I have more clearance. I have an all in one computer and a roku and tv in there. I want to get another fire tv. Latin Step was 35 minutes, 174 calories, heart rate 126/155. I then did CDorner Abs and Butt 32 minutes, 78 calories, heart rate 94/123. This one was all of the abs first with some using 10# dumbbells(I used 8's as she did not mention the weight till later), my neck and shoulder handled it alright. The butt work was mostly on the floor on the elbows all one side then stand and do deadlifts with leg crossed back then repeat all on the other side, 15's for the dead lift and 1 15# for the bridge work. The rest was body weight.
Total time was 67 minutes, calories 252, steps 3033. I had to restart my watch on the Abs and Butt because I pushed the buttons and was trying to stop start moves so it counted reps and accidentally stopped the watch and restarted. I kept forgetting to do the pause stop between exercises though. I think that is best for a workout that is sets and reps. I finally got the Wifi light switches set up. Took the Doorbell cam apart and scanned the QR and put it back together and found out that it wants me to take it back to default which requires me to take it back apart to use a reset button on the back. I had a hard to getting it off as I did not have the little key so used the one for my cell phone to open the little card tray. It was just hard to get it to pop off and keep it wired to scan. I will mess with it later. I had a grandchild and a dog trying to get out the door with me. They came and buried the cable line today. I am glad I noticed they were out there as I had just opened the door so the dog could get out the doggie door if needed. I am sure she would have went out for that. She is starting to go out more on her own. She prefers to be in the house unless someone is out there though.

Carolyn, I was wondering if the gas had to be turned on. The grill is sit in a spot specifically built for it with a gas line from the house connected to it in the cabinet underneath. I am unsure if I need to turn the gas valve on before lighting? There is also a burner for cooking or heating something else and the outdoor fireplace is on the opposite patio wall. Don't you miss the charcoal flavor?

Valerie, you are busy. Gardening is a lot of work, but the produce you get is rewarding. I guess I need to try that with the grill and turn up the heat to cook it off since that is what you and Carolyn say it says to do. I have tried grilling veggies and salmon by using foil I cut holes in and putting also tried with a moistened cedar plank under it.

Judy, great workouts so far. We are getting settled in. We got a new clock today that matches well in the open kitchen dining and living room. It is over the frosted glass pantry door and looks nice.

Good morning,

Today I did Live PHA Supersets, 43 minutes, 260 calories.

Valerie, hope you are feeling better. I bet those projects will pay off and you will have a great area to plant etc.

Cathy, nice workouts!

Lori, oh that had to be so scary! I hope the meds review and change will keep things going in a positive direction. That is great that you got a job with a person you enjoy working with.

Diane Sue, it sounds like the move is going along well!

Judy, great workouts!

Carolyn, great job doing both those workouts!

Take care,

Today I did RWH Lift It HiiT It Legs which was 40 minutes and 254 calories burned. My average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate was 156. This is the workout that uses contrast training, pairing a weight exercise followed by cardio targeting the same muscles. I like this one quite a bit, though my cardio is mostly modified to low impact.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Latin Step and Abs and Butt. When we bought our first gas grill we still had the Weber charcoal grill, but quickly switched to only using the gas. I don’t miss the charcoal at all. Sometimes we soak wood chips and wrap those in heavy duty foil with holes punched in it. That gives that wood smoked flavor if desired. I only do that with something that cooks longer and at a lower temperature. I am usually doing chicken, salmon, steak, or burgers on the grill. I love to cook salmon on a cedar plank.

Valerie, glad that you were able to mountain bike yesterday. Do you oil the grates of your grill before putting on your chicken ( or other protein)? We use tongs with long handles and a small amount of oil on a paper towel to oil the grates. Usually if you wait for the protein to release before trying to turn over you don’t get sticking. It’s the same thing that happens in a pan on the stove when you try to turn the food over before it cooks enough to release from the cooking surface.

Deb, nice work with Live PHA Supersets.

Hello to Judy, Cathy, and Lori.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did a 45 minute Peloton Low Impact (no standing) Ride and RWH Legs (strength only premix).
This morning I did RWH Low Impact HiiT 1 & 2 combined.

Deb- Great job with Live PHA Supersets!

Valerie-Great ride! You've really been getting a lot done.

Diane Sue-Nice job with the CDorner workouts!

Carolyn-Great job with RWH Lift It HiiT It Legs! I like the full workout with the contrast training. It's a good workout in a short amount of time.

Hi to Cathy & Lori

Yesterday was the last of Chest and Back for STS! This morning I did Live Hard Strikes All Low Impact. Skipped the weights part and just did the boxing and core. Got a really good workout. It's beautiful, if a bit too warm out today. The type of spring day that jumps almost to 80, when we haven't really had 70's to adjust. So, I'm in a tank today. First of the year for sure.

Lori I'm so sorry Bob has gone through so much lately. I'm sure you're both very glad to have your vaccines done. Walking the dog can be an excellent workout. Though I know it's getting on the warm side for that now. My sister got her long walk with the dog done early this morning.

Judy great job getting all the workouts in!

Valerie gardening can be a LOT of work! Glad you were able to get a ride in.

Carolyn nice job on those workouts!

Diane Sue, hopefully, you'll have all the stuff down soon, so you can relax, settle in and enjoy your new place. You are doing great getting in workouts.

I'm definitely passing on the yoga mat. Even if I use the 15% off coupon that is more than I'm willing to go. Not worth it for how much it would get used.

Went xc skiing today. sunny and lovely. 4.5 hours. yes, I am tired! 2.5 hours uphill and then half an hour for lunch and then back down. DH saw a bobcat but so briefly he wasn't sure what he saw. but its snow, so there are foot prints. we go up early when snow is frozen and then come down as the day warms up the snow and it gets softer. it was a good day.
Carolyn, we usually oil the chicken and oil the grill grates. I only do bl/sl chicken breasts that are pounded to an even thickness but they are not easy to grill. slip thru the grates and stick and never get to "release" point. no matter what. I usually do them on the stovetop because I cant get them to cook decently outside. I'm trying them on the grill using a cast iron pan next.

will read all your posts tomorrow. too tired tonight.

Im proud of myself for getting in a lot of endurance cardio. its the thing I'm best at. I'm not a big fan of interval training tho I will do it, and hours of endurance training doesn't work out too well for home workouts! skiing uphill in cold weather carrying a pack for several hours is a great endurance builder. these are not constructed trails or groomed, these are forest service roads. there are obstacles and debris on the snow, plus the snow surface is inconsistent depending on where the snow accumulated, where the sun hits and a million variables.... coming back down is not always smooth. you find out about all kinds of little muscles you didn't know about in your ankles, calves and feet. one minute breaks are needed pretty often to rest ankles and feet. as the ski season goes on, conditioning builds in and we can go longer. this looks like a good year with us probably skiing for another 2 months. its possible to ski almost year round here if you are a good back country skier. I am not. I don't do "steep". so when roads melt out we quit skiing and do more biking and hiking.

Last edited:
Today I did a Rock’m Sock’m timesaver (5 segments gone), which was 35 minutes and 263 calories burned. My average heart rate was 137 and maximum heart rate was 168. We had to go to the driver services office to renew my husband’s driver’s license. He tried to do it by mail according to the directions that were mailed to him, but the license never came. It’s been over 6 weeks, but apparently they are very backed up . It wasn’t as bad as I feared because you have to schedule an appointment online ahead of time.

Judy, nice job with Peloton Low Impact Ride, RWH Legs and RWH Low Impact HiiT. My legs are very sore from the RWH Kegs yesterday!

Cathy, great job with the last STS Chest and Back workout and Live Hard Strikes.

Valerie, your cardio endurance is very impressive! It’s great that you still have enough snow for skiing. I can see why you don’t bother with your grill with thin chicken breasts. I use boneless also, but not pounded out.

Hello to Judy, Diane Sue, Deb, and Lori.

Hi Everyone,

Last night I did RWH Triceps only. Today I did a 20 minute Peloton HiiT ride with 15 minutes of warm up and cool down rides. Tonight I did RWH Back & Biceps (no shoulders premix).
Due to metro Detroit being a Covid hot spot again, I'm taking a couple of weeks of leave from work at Home Depot. We get our second shots next week and I'll feel better working after that.

Cathy-Great job with your last STS Chest & Back workout! Nice workouts this week!

Valerie-Great job with cross country skiing. I agree with Carolyn, your endurance is very impressive!

Carolyn-Nice job with Rock'm Sock'm! My legs are sore too. RWH is tough!

Hi to Deb, Lori & Diane Sue

Took yesterday as a off day.
Judy the pandemic is endless, and people are bagging restrictions quickly. I feel reasonably well protected after shots/wait period, and mask restrictions are still working reasonably well here in western washington. I know that's not true everywhere. a lot of businesses are trying to maintain restrictions but I feel sorry for workers needing to deal with covid/reality deniers who don't want to cooperate. we still have the new variants causing issues in many parts of the world that may become more troublesome here.
Carolyn, I don't have great grill skills but DH commandeers the grill and overcooks everything. he won't let the chicken sit long enough before flipping it, and then insists it has to be "done" so we end up with chicken dried out to bicycle tire consistency. each side sticks and so half the chicken ends up stuck to the grill grates. oh it is UGLY. it's usually not hot here, so using the stovetop is usually easier and more controllable. we don't eat a lot of the foods routinely grilled.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.