Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 4/15

I will be doing something lighter today. My yesterday when I went shopping I twisted my knee a bit getting out of the car and it hurt. I am not sure how I managed to do that. When I workout I am careful of fast twisting movements. I was hobbling around Walmart. It feel better this morning, but there are still twinges there and my low back on the right is in some sort of spasm. Maybe push day , yoga, and possible low impact. I will see how it feels. I reordered the Joint Vibrance from Vibrant Health. It seems everytime I try other products I end up feeling pain after awhile. It is costly, but It would cost a bundle to cover the ingredients that are in it for inflammation as well as the collagen, glucosamine chondroitin, hyluronic acid, msm etc. And it has the C that helps absorption. My husband always tells me I should just get the good stuff. I dont know why but my Fit Bit is not working right this morning. Itvsays i was in bed 7 hours and 0 sleep. Then it says to restart my phone. I did that and it tells me it is notbworking and restart the app. I guess I am going to be trouble shooting it. I bet Fit Bit needs to do something on their side.

Deb, I got a Revereware copper bottom stainless 45 years ago. I gave most of it to my son who still has it and I have the smaller saucepan. I use it occasiinaly I use it because it is that or my pampered chef tephlon one. For some reason the bottom is bowed and when it get hot it rocks and moves on my ceramic cooktop. I am sorry about your back. I am in the same place today.

Judy, I had planned on doing all of Fit Split this week and checking out mixes, but since my knee is bothering me, I will probably not hit Cardio shred at all. Snow! This is some spring.

thank you all for your kind words. I feel completely exhausted. the funeral won't be for a while because the timing is too close to this weekend, so will need to be the next. I could see it coming but still rough when it happens.
Our carry-on bags are too large to meet standards now. we need to buy new ones. I posted about it months ago, but airlines have cracked down on dimensions of what is allowed.
I've kind of lost track of all the assorted nonstick products out there. I have a small green one, ceramic?, for eggs. I've had it for a few years. it has stayed non stick. I buy a big, deep nonstick pan from Costco every few years. the non stick quality wears out after a few years of heavy use, and I get a new one. they aren't that expensive. I've bought more expensive pans and was disappointed. big calphalon pasta pot and a le cruset soup pot. I don't like the idea of nonstick coating wearing off and ending up in food, but I don't like a half inch of oil in everything either. a cast iron grill pan I use a lot. not nonstick and hard to clean but it works well.
I don't buy sets, just the size I need.

I will wait until a local chain carries the sweet potatoes. If they are good, more stores will carry them. we don't have a whole foods, sprouts, etc near by.

This morning I did Strong and Sweaty Total Body Giant Sets. My time was 67 minutes and 199 calories burned. My average heart rate was 98 and maximum heart rate was 137. I wanted a longer more comprehensive total body workout instead of the 30 minute WS3 and I definitely got that.

Deb, I am sorry that you hurt your back yesterday. A short yoga stretch session might help it feel better.

Diane Sue, it must be very frustrating to hurt your knee with such a benign activity when you are so careful during your workouts. I hope you feel up to a gentle activity today. I use my All-Clad stainless cookware all the time and it is not difficult to clean. Soaking with baking soda works wonders. I have had several less expensive pieces over the years, but they didn’t heat evenly and were hard to clean.

Judy, great job with Low Impact Sweat and Muscle Meltdowns.

Valerie, there are so many little things like correct luggage and what clothing items you need, etc. that can be very time consuming. I have nonstick skillets from Costco too. When I use my cast iron grill pan I add water to it immediately after using which helps to loosen food that’s stuck. I also coat it with oil after it’s clean and dry before I store it. I have a flat cast iron grill and I cover that with wet paper towels to soak.

Lori, I hope things are going well for you.

Take care everyone.

Today I did Fit Split Low Impact cardio, cardio only mix, 116 average, 146 max heart rate, 179 calories(map my fitness), 1,804 steps, met 5.8. I then did Fit Split shred time saver push only mix skipping the lower body quad focus and calves at the end, 30 minutes, 141 calories, met 4.0, 666 steps, heart rate 103 average, 148 max. I finished with Suzanne Bowen Barre Amped Strength and Stretch lower body stretch, 19 minutes, 42 calories, met 2, 34 steps. Total time 77 minutes, 362 calories. I just did the warm up for the Push workout on shred using the floor and not the step.
Weights 3 sets each exercise
super set
bench press 20#dbs 10,8,8 reps
chest flys 15#dbs 10,8,8 reps

push ups -knee taps 10 reps, 8 reps, plyo push ups 20
super set

alternating close grip press 20#dbs, 16,12,8 reps
lying barbell extension 30# 10,10,8 reps

triceps dips barbell 30# 32 reps

super set shoulder press barbell 30# 10,8,8 reps
goal post 15# dbs , 10,8,8 reps

Valerie, we purchased about 3 different sets of cookware. We would not have bought the set of Pampered Chef, but my daughter was hosting the party. I was extremely disappointed in them. Even looked up the warranty, but if I remember right there were some clauses in there that made that void. I still have a soup pot and small saucepan in the pampered chef. I like something non stick for frying some things like my husband's potatoes. They tend to stick and burn in my stainless and cast iron skillets. I also do not like the flavor of toasting nuts in the cast iron after Ihave rubbed it down with bacon grease or cooked salmon in it. That was a lesson learned, as it tends to hold flavors since I don't scrub it with soap and water and do not want to remove the seasoning of the pan. I need to purchase a commercial seasoning for cast iron and see if it works better. I try not to use too much oil in the pans. The thing with Teflon is that it is not supposed to used for high temp cooking and we often cook higher than we should in it.

Carolyn, I have used baking soda on the pans to get stuck on stuff off too. I found one time when I forgot a pot of food on the stove with my porcelain dutch oven and couldn't get the black cleaned off. I finally used an idea I read on Pinterest using coke and heating it. That finally did the trick. It still was/is scratched up from all of the trying to scrub it off. That was a good choice for a total body weight workout today.

Good evening ladies,

Valerie, I just started reading posts and want to say how sorry I am to hear of your mothers passing. So very sad. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Yesterday was a rest day. I was called on Sunday to come into work early yesterday and when I got home I was just about to workout and my boss called and needed me to take care of something. Oh well. Sunday, I did a complete Lekfit bounce with all the sculpting intervals (this really exhausts your muscles. My glutes are still feeling it.) Then in the evening I did a 45 min bellicon bounce since I knew I would not be working out in the morning. Today was back to SB rotation along with a few upper targets to compliment the workout of the day.

Everyone has had some great workouts!

Diane Sue...hope your knee is better quick. Gigi is the same as Gertie. She needs to be where we are. I have the copper bottom stainless revereware. Have had the set since 1980! My mom bought them for me and I still use them today. I do not mind cleaning them. I also have some cast iron ones I use that go back to the 70’s maybe even older.

Judy...I still have my snow tires on and so glad I do. Yesterday we had snow and sleet. What a mess. When will this end!!!

Deb...oh no!! I hope your back is ok!!!! A few years ago I bought a kettlebell and hurt myself. I immediately returned it and never used one again.

Carolyn...things are well...just insanely busy at work. (When am I not? Lol!)

Have a great night all!

Lori, you still manage to get some great workouts in even with all of the time you spend working. I had a cast iron skillet that was my grandmothers and I gave it to my son when he left home. Those and the stainless with copper bottoms are durable pieces of cookware.

Carolyn, I have read so many things about using coke for cleaning. Even in the toilet. I never was much of a soda drinker. I can only imagine what that does to those people that drink several a day.

Thinking about drinks, there is a new children's flavored waters with no sugar or diet sweeteners in it. It is called rethink kids water. Walmart is supposed to carry it. I didn't see it in there yet though. My daughter is cutting out all of her children's sugar. So, I am on the lookout for low to no sugar items for them.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday and none today. My back is still aching, and I don't want to mess it up any more. I am entered for 3 days in our club's agility trial this weekend and I want to be able to do it.

Judy, that was a great combo, and a very long workout!

Diane Sue, I agree with your husband. You should get what works, even if it is a little more expensive. Can you include a link to the one you like? My FitBit did that yesterday, but I thought I had clicked on the wrong day to see my sleep patterns, instead of the day before, that is why I thought it showed."0" sleep time. So glad I never really drank Coke or Pepsi, really do not like carbonated beverages at all. John drinks it every day, diet type. I keep telling him how bad it is but he doesn't listen.

Valerie, Although we think we are prepared to lose someone, it is still a blow when it happens. I can understand why you are exhausted. I have used the same carry on bags for about 10+ years with no issue. I think they are 19" or 20".

Carolyn, thanks, I may do a yoga stretch, or maybe one of the STS extended stretches. I find that if I soak a pan filled with very hot water and add some dish washer detergent, anything burned or stuck slides right off.

Lori, nice workouts. I have one copper bottom stainless kettle type pan that I use a lot. If anything sticks, I use the hot water/dish washer detergent soak. I love the KB workouts that KCM does, not sure what I did differently this time to hurt my back. Maybe went down too low or something.

Take care,

This morning I did WS3 Barefoot Cardio Core for 32 minutes and 180 calories burned. My average heart rate was 118 and maximum heart rate was 156. I am really feeling the WS3 ab workouts and I am a little sore. I think it’s because the movements are different from other ab/core workouts that I do.

Deb, I hope your back is better soon. I avoided kettlebells for a long time for fear that I would hurt myself. I watched several instructional videos before I tried it.

Hello to everyone and I hope you have great workouts today.

Reactions: WD
thank you all. the travel rearrangements are making this difficult. we had a trip to MT planned and had to cancel a bunch of things and move a lot of things around. complaining about that only because we've had a very open schedule for months and this was the one week we had actually mapped out with numerous commitments.
I am kind of relieved that she is gone. I mean that in a kind way. she was not having any fun anymore. things were getting worse quickly. there are people her age in good shape yet, able to enjoy life, but her vision was going, barely walk, and was incontinent. her next home would have been a nursing home. she got to stay in her own home until the last 48 hours.

Lori I used the same carry- ons for ages. just a little larger than what is "standard" 22x14x9. we ordered smaller ones since we could not be sure which airline we'd be on. when the bins fill up, they can get picky. I've had checked bags go missing too many times, never check luggage anymore.

we used to drink occasional diet coke, pepsi. quit years ago. I switched to plain carbonated water. then I tried the filtered water from my refrigerator and realized my problem with tap water was the chlorine odor. filtering water removes the swimming pool smell. we both have converted!. I remember using coke to do something weird, like loosen corroded metal joints? wow long time ago. I don't remember if it worked. I never liked the flavor, and used to drink a little diet 7. I do agree that drinking sweet things all the time skews your tastes toward sweet. the carbonation made it taste less sweet. Not that hard to stop using it.

I also have a cast iron frying pan that's been around forever. they never wear out. I even use it on the barbecue.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did Yin Yoga, the 65 minute one from Ultimate Yogi. This morning I did an indoor ride, around 70 minutes.

Deb-thanks! I'm sorry that your back is still hurting :( It sounds like a good idea to rest it a few more days.

Lori-I'm with you on the soda. I will admit I do like diet Dr. Pepper, but I was never one to drink it every day, maybe once or twice a week. Chris was a big diet coke drinker and he finally went off of it last December. When he quit I did too, so there wouldn't be anything around to tempt him. So far I haven't really missed it.

Diane Sue-That new flavored water sounds good. I had the same problem with my Fitbit yesterday, it was recording 0 sleep. I edited it a couple of times and then it started working right.

Valerie-I wouldn't check luggage anymore either. I probably need to measure our carry-ons and replace them if necessary.

Carolyn-I really like the WS3 Add-On Ab workout on the 15 minute Fix DVD. I also avoided KB workouts for a long time.

Judy

Deb, here is a link. It is a good price on Amazon right now. Sprouts runs around 51.00 dollars. https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-Heal...sr=8-3&keywords=joint+vibrance+vibrant+health
I even had my Fit Bit tell me I had went 10 floors yesterday morning when I had only been upstairs twice. I finally entered a report when my app asked if I wanted to send a report for the problems. Kelly doesn't usually do unsafe moves on her kettlebell work. I bet you just twisted a bit or something and pulled the back into it. Kettlebells are another workout that gets the HR up without a bunch of impact. I hope that your back improves before the trials.

Valerie, that is nice that your mother never had to be in a nursing home. I have been on a plain for quite some time and always had a larger bag that we would have to check. My husband could travel with a tiny bag and manage. I can never make up my mind what I need so I carry a bit of everything. I used to drink a tiny bit of white peach grape juice with Perrier for the longest time. Then my doctor said no carbonated stuff because it leeches phosphorus out of the bones. That is when I went to just plain water.

Judy, I bet the yoga felt good. I shut my Fit Bit down and turned my cell phone off and on several times and it worked last night. My husband loves Dr Pepper. He only had an occasional one while dieting, but now I think he has at least one a day since he eats at work.

Today I did Ripped with Hiit Low Impact Hiit 1 and 2 combined, 51 minutes, average heart rate 127, max heart rate 156, 3,701 steps, 327 calories. I then did Ripped with Hiit abs #1, 10 minutes, 106 average heart rate, 130 max, 44 calories, met 4.0,183 steps and finished with Fit Split abs, 13 minutes, 59 calories, heart rate average 107, max 140,mwt 4.1, 169 steps. Total time was 73 minutes, 430 calories, 3,976 steps. I really need ot hit the house cleaning today. I don't think that there will be Wednesday Dinner tonight. My 7 year old grandson was running on hay bales and fell and broke his arm. He just got of out surgery. Praising God that they did not have to put pins in which had been one of the suggestions.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was SBF Barre Hiit for 39mins. One of her longer workouts. I then did a BBS dance Cardio for 20 mins. I am going to miss BBS. I still use her old app and my membership expires end of the month. She stopped adding new workouts since launching her newer app thru Apple.

I very rarely drink diet coke. Once in a blue moon. However, I now will completely pass on it. I do like seltzer water. We have a soda fountain at work and I will grab a seltzer a few times a week.

Diane Sue...nice workouts today. Funny while reading I thought that would be the day I did 2 Ab workouts! lol! In all seriousness, I am very committed with my workouts. Especially since I have type 2 diabeties. No matter how much I work I always try and fit in a workout. So sorry about your grandson. Ouch!

Valerie...it sounds like it was a blessing your mom passed. She is not suffering. So sad on her bday though. When I plan our annual conference I am always reminding people about the size of carry ons.

Deb...hoping your back is better soon. Wise not to push things. Sometimes you just move so slightly and it can throw things off! What are you reading? I have been reading the Scapetta series and I am almost at the end. I am on book 22 of 24.

Judy...Nice ride! I was never a huge Dr. Pepper fan. It is not very popular here in New England. My husband loves it though and grew up with it.

Carolyn...how did you like the Barefoot Cardio? I vaguely remember it. Will need to look it up.

Have a great night all!

Carolyn, somehow I missed your post this morning. I was just wondering where you were. I have several beginner kettlebell workouts and some with movement tutorials on them. I purchased Amy Bento's beginner one after I had already purchased one of her other ones. The ones I have a hard time with are the double kettlebell workouts. I can never go as heavy as some of the instructors do for some of the moves.

Lori, maybe you will find something else that you love as much as bbs. I have always liked doing longer ab workouts. I always think we spend a lot more time on other body parts than we do on abs. That is great that you are conscientious about keeping up your workouts since you have type 2 diabetes. They sent a picture of my grandson after he woke up from the anesthesia. He was grinning. I bet he is not grinning when the pain medicine wears off.

the trouble with carry ons is if yours is a teeny bit bigger, you can be forced to check it at the last minute. extra cost, and of course you need to trudge to baggage to get it. my old one is probably a half inch to (at most) 1 inch bigger than new size rules. especially if the flight is full and bins get overloaded. then they can crack down on the rules.

we did garden work and then I did 20 on elliptical and abs from HR.
Judy I have never in my life been able to get down a dr. pepper. Lori, yes, it was a good thing. the next level was going to be a nursing home. she could not have stayed at home much longer, and her vision was so bad she could not read anything anymore. and her hearing was fairly bad too. and incontinent so constantly getting infections and bed sores. it is hell getting that old.

Good morning,

Still resting my back. No workouts yesterday.

Carolyn, What type of different moves does she use in the WS3 Ab workout? Are they standing or on the floor? I don't know what happened with the KB. I have used them for years, I think I let my mind wander a bit and must have moved wrong somehow. I will definitely focus more clearly the next time I use one.

Valerie, that was good that your mother got to stay at home for as long as she did. I was always grateful that my Dad did not have to go into any type of nursing home either. He always dreaded that day. He died peacefully at home, with his dog at his side, the newspaper, and had just made a pot of coffee. This was his morning routine.

Judy, I would be interested in knowing if Chris noticed any differences in how he felt etc after quitting diet soda.

Diane Sue, I hope your grandson is okay! Good thing they didn't have to put pins in. thanks for the link. I will take a look at that. I agree, Kelly is very safe with her KB moves. Like I mentioned, I think I was not concentrating on what I was doing, and like you said, moved wrong.

Lori, nice that you have your own soda fountain at work. LOL. I am reading a series about a sheriff in a small Texas town, it is the Sheriff Dan Rhodes series, by Bill Crider. I also just read a really good mystery called All the Beautiful Lies, by Peter Swanson.

We set up at the arena today, I will not be doing what I usually do!

Take care,

I had a soda stream machine that I used for years to carbonate my own water. It works nicely and you can carbonate as much or as little as you want. suddenly I got sick of it, and realized that flat water was just fine if it was filtered. a lot simpler this way. a beautiful day today so we will ride as soon as it warms up a little. clear nights make for much colder temps in the am.

Reactions: WD
Hi Everyone,

This morning I did Body Beast Build Shoulders and Bulk Arms. Total time was 74 minutes. It's sunny and in the 50's here today. The forecast looks promising for the weekend too. I think we are finally getting into normal spring weather.

Deb-One thing I've noticed is that Chris doesn't need prilosec or pepcid much since quitting the diet soda. He doesn't complain about heartburn or stomach upsets anymore. I will ask him if he has noticed anything else.

Valerie-It is good that your mother was able to stay at home for so long.

Diane Sue-I'm sorry about your grandson's arm. I hope he has a quick recovery.

Lori-That's too bad about BBS. I hope you find something else similar.

Hi to Carolyn!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.