Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/4

DH started watching the game and I was going to do a workout but game looked interesting so I sat down. before I knew it, the first quarter was finishing. time flew by. I wasn't sure I could watch in the exercise room, but that channel came in clear. not hard to spin and watch and it was easy to keep the pace up. probably not quite as strenuous as cathe but pretty close. it was nice to exercise without thinking about what I was doing. with a spin workout, you listen all the time. the distraction factor was nice. plus it was nice to see Brady get his clock cleaned and someone else get a little glory. I loved the one commercial with the take off on Dirty Dancing but didn't realize at the time that was a bunch of people from another football team. much funnier when you realize who they are.

I think Penzeys market is more mid west and east. I don't think they have a west coast presence, except with mail order so prevalent half the time you don't know where a company is physically located. I used to see ads from them in the King Arthur catalogue. think KA is based in NY. they have wonderful baking supplies. all kinds of chocolate, cocoa, flours etc.
All kinds of interesting new spice blends for dishes from middle east and northern Africa. we have a local spice company here where shipping is less and a lot faster. also some stores with great selections, but not close by for regular shopping.

I did Low impact sweat, the first cardio section, then MM back. the first times I did MM back I got sore legs from the dead lifts, but didn't this time.

Deb most of the yin poses are for stretching and are not hard to maintain for a few minutes. all poses I remember were sitting, stretched out on the floor, using bolster cushions or blocks to stretch out different body parts. Boring, restful maybe in some ways, but I just didn't like it much. you could hear everyone else breathing and creaking and rustling, well, I didn't like an hour of it. I ended up feeling annoyed rather than rested. maybe doing it yourself at home it will be a different experience.

Today I did X Train Bis and Tri’s for 54 minutes and 230 calories burned. My average heart rate was 108 and maximum heart rate 152. X Train is such a great series. My Bis and Tri’s are fried after that.

Deb, that Live workout is one that I’ve done a couple of times. It’s a good one. I use the yoga strap with the seated forward fold which is a stretch that Cathe uses a lot. I can’t reach my feet to hold on to during the pose so I use a strap around my feet to assist me.

Lori, maybe you can alternate Slow and Heavy with another strength series like Gym Styles or the Pyramids. Cathe has an older rotation that focuses on strength that uses Slow and Heavy for week 1, Pure Strength for week 2, and Slow and Heavy for the remaining 2 weeks. Various cardio workouts are done on the non strength days.

Diane Sue, that’s great that you had an unexpected visit with your daughter and granddaughter. I looked for the spices that I wanted at Sprouts and several other stores, but they didn’t have them. Amazon is my go to place for hard to find ingredients. One yoga instructor described Yin Yoga as seeming like you aren’t doing anything because of the long poses, but said that the body needs the slow deep stretching in addition to more intense activities.

Judy, The Ultimate Yogi provides a wide variety of practices to choose from. Does Udaya streaming have Yoga Foundations too?

Valerie, I think I ran across Penzey’s in some cooking magazine. I like to try new flavors and recipes. That’s a good workout combination that you did yesterday. I did the same Low Impact Sweat.

Hello to Janet and Melanie.

Carolyn-I just checked and Udaya does have Yoga Foundations. I'll have to put those on my list of ones to do in the next couple of weeks.

Today I did Kelly Coffey's Build and Burn Kickbox and Kettlebell Fusion, 28 minutes, 185 calories, met 6, 20# kettlebell, heart rate average 129, max 166. I then did Build and Burn Tabata Legs first 18 minutes ( I ran out of time) heart rate average 119, max 141, 107 calories, met 5.4, 2, 551 steps total, calories 292 calories, 46 minutes. My daughter called and my grandson 3 bought me a valentine that he made for me and we went to Hobby Lobby. We always spend so much time in that store when we go. So many fun projects and stuff. I used to take my children to one that was like a craft mall years ago before they started having the regular stores all over. They loved it. My granddaughter Olivia had so many things that she wanted :) Her birthday is this month so it gives me ideas for her.:) I need to get started on the rest of dinner for this evening with my granddaughter and her fiance so if I don't finish responding I will be back.
Weights that were done
4 rounds each exercise
banded side steps -blue firewalker loop
kickstand deadlifts- 20# dbs 4 rnds
squat varieations 25# dbs 4 rnds
side lunge knee pull- bodyweight
front and back lunges- 20# dbs 4 rnds
split stance plyo pops body weight 4 sets
missed last 3 exercises

Deb, my granddaughter's wedding is May 10th.

Lori, I am sure that you influenced your son with fitness. My daughter's used to exercise with me when they were growing up and most of my grandchildren have, since I watched them. I think that is a good influence to be active :)

Valerie, I do not think that I would enjoy hearing others around me while doing the yin yoga. It would lose the relaxing factor. I think that a specialty store would have to be really convenient, like right next to the grocery store for me to want to go to it. The only thing by Sprouts is a specialty natural dog food store. I have not been in it. It is new. I thought it was going to be a barbecue place or something at first. I saw what looks like leashes and dog stuff in the window the other day. I might go in there sometime.

Carolyn, I think there is definitely a place in the routine for yin yoga. It is one I can do at bedtime and it does not get the heartrate up. I spend so much time on Amazon :)

Good evening ladies,

I was off today. I had my annual physical and lab work so decided to take the day off. I have type 2 diabetes and have been in great control. I have lab work 4 times a year just for the diabetes and so far I have not had to increase my medication. Fingers crossed all is good! Funny my doctors always says to me “how did you end up with Type 2”

I did work out in the afternoon. I did FS Boxing Bootcamp and Legs. This leg workout really gets me good! I then did a BBS Dance Tramp workout. Total time was 88 mins / 654 cal.

Diane Sue...as always nice workout the past couple of days. That is wonderful to talk wedding plans. How lovely. I have said it before how much I love you have a close family. It is so nice to see this. I completely forgot I order KCM’s new series. I think it ships in March. How sweet you received a Valentine!!! Enjoy your dinner tonight!

Deb...so fustrating when the streaming freezes. My brother is the same way over bridges. He hates them and always opens his windows when he has to drive one. Have you decided on a rotation?

Carolyn...that is a great idea with the rotation using gym styles. Going to see if I can find that rotation. If not it will be easy for me to create one. I did Bis and Tris the other day and my arms were completely done in.

Valerie...I loved the Dirty Dancing commercial. It was hysterical.

Have a great night all!

Lori, it is hard to believe that as active you are that you would have type 2 diabetes. That is great that you are keeping it under control. So many people don't. I really enjoy the Build and Burn Set and that is why I keep going back to it. Kelly keeps putting out some interesting sounding workouts on her new streaming service. Some time I want to try it out. I downloaded Purple Player for it. I don't like bridges and high places. I get extremely anxious when we are in the car or on the motorcycle between trucks. I have a terrible fear someone is not going to know we are there. I guess there is a point that many of us have some anxiety. My husband tries to get around trucks quickly and avoid the in between them because he knows how I feel.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

Diane Sue, when you mentioned the Blu Ray player...is that a DVD player? It has the ability to get YouTube etc for streaming? I have heard of the Roku stick, which I think is similar to my Chromecast device. It is a small device that is plugged into a port on the TV. May 10th will be here before you know it! I would be interested in a specialty natural dog food store. :).

Valerie, everyone here that I talked to about the game was happy that Tom Brady lost. I guess he is not a great sportsman. Yes, I believe Penzy's is based in Wisconsin. Need to go find the Dirty Dancing commercial.

Carolyn, that strap sounds helpful. The one thing I can't do that Cathe does in a lot of her stretches is sit on the floor cross legged. My knees will not go down to the floor. When she does this with one leg in to stretch the other leg, I just put both legs out in a "V".

Lori, keeping my fingers crossed for good lab results. Which KCM new series did you order that ships in March? Is she doing another one? It seems like we just got Build & Burn. As for a rotation, I saw a post over in the Rotation forum about a Metabolic rotation. Cathe had one in 2014 that I printed out. I am making adjustments to it....for those workouts I don't like or have....like Plyo stuff or Tabata, I am using your Live spreadsheet to find Live ones to sub with. This one uses Gym Styles for the weight work too.

Hi to Judy..

Take care,

Deb, yes, it is a dvd player, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X6AGWRQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I also purchased a UHD 2.O hdmi cable for it. We have two Roku sticks one is several years old and then another we got for free when we prepaid for 2 months of sling tv. The nicevthing is being ablevto move it from one tv to another. Since I can get youtube, Amazon, and Netflix through my dvd player, I moved the stick to the sun room where the children can watch their shows when they are here. Thevsticks do notbseem to overheat in summer like our Rokub3 does. I want to get a Roku with a fan or a small fan for devices this summer.

Good Morning,
Today I did Low Impact Step for 37 minutes and 267 calories burned. My average heart rate was 127 and maximum heart rate 142. I followed up with Element Yoga for Flexibility with Alanna Zabel for 23 minutes. This was an additional 38 calories.

Deb, a yoga strap or a belt would work well for that stretch too. Did you try a yoga class or dvd in the past? I went through a couple of years where going across a bridge sent me into a panic attack. My heart would pound and my breathing became very shallow. Fortunately we don’t have many bridges here so it usually happened during car trips. After a few years the panic attacks stopped. I don’t like bridges but I don’t panic anymore.

Lori, my husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes during a hospital stay a few years ago. I suspect that the doctor had told him that he was pre diabetic but he didn’t share that information with me. He was prescribed medication and we focused in on his diet and he started a regular exercise program with a trainer. He was able to get his numbers back to normal range and no longer needs medication. I was still working at the time and his snacking was out of control when he was home alone.

Judy, I think you will like Yoga Foundations. One pose that Travis does in Foundations 2 is shoulder stand into plow pose. I don’t do that one.

Hello to Diane Sue, Valerie, Janet, and Melanie.

Today's workout was Ice Boot Camp Circuit timesaver mx no abs and I added on the blizzard blast, 50 minutes, 321 calories, heart rate average 118, max 156, 2,784 steps, met 5.8. I then did Strong and Sweaty Boot camp timesaver #1 rnds 1-3, 25 minutes, 167 calories, heart rate average 118, max 149, met 6, 1010 steps. Total time was 75 minutes, 488 calories, 3,794 steps.

Carolyn, nice work on Low Impact Step and getting some yoga in. I am not doing so well on my extra stretching this week. I have to go out in a bit to pick up something at the library and errands and family dinner, so no time. Maybe tomorrow :)

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did Barlates Lower Body Drop Sets, Inner & Outer Thighs, and today I did a 45 minute Spinerval and Travis Eliot Yin Yoga.

Carolyn-Great workouts! I don't think I would be able to do the shoulder stand into plow pose either. Before I moved to Michigan, I lived on the Mississippi River and had to go over bridges regularly. For a while I lived in Iowa and worked in Illinois so I was crossing the bridge twice a day. I got used to it but I didn't really enjoy it that much.

Lori-I hope you have great lab results!

Diane Sue-I really like Yin Yoga so far. I felt like I could go to sleep after I did it this afternoon. I could see doing it before going to bed.

Hi to Deb & Valerie!

Judy

Reactions: WD
Good evening ladies,

This morning I did FS mixed cardio and JS 15 min fat blaster. I was scheduled to do FS Pull also but did not feel like it. I will do this tomorrow.

Diane Sue...yes it is crazy I have Type 2. It runs in my family and I had gestational diabetes carrying my son. Prior to that I was always considered borderline diabetic. I am at ideal weight for my age and build - and you all know I exercise religiously. Unfortuantely, it is what it is and I am doing my best to keep it from progressing. We have Roku 3’s and always take one with us when we travel. We love them. I have not noticed they over heat though. Need to pay attention to that. We had a blue ray player that we could stream from and used it for a while until we switched to all digital.

Deb...it is the build and burn set that I preordered. It came out on Amazon to preorder for $26 so I figured why not. But it does not ship till March which is fine. I need to update the Live list. I completely forgot about it! I will look at that Metabolic Rotation, thanks for mentioning it. I may look at an ICE rotation next. I think this might be a nice transition

Carolyn...that is awesome your husband is off medication! Unfortunately, that will not happen for me. That is ok. I was diagnosed 17 years ago and the last time my meds increased was about 8 years go. So I have done a great job keeping it in control. Some end up on insulin and then huge complications. I am trying my hardest for this not to happen.

Judy...you are making me want to do some Barlates! I used her while on vacation in August but have not done any of her workouts since.

Have a great night all!

Judy, I have looked at some of the Barlates workouts. I never heard of it till recently.

Lori, it is great that you are able to keep the diabetes under control. Our Roku 3 overheats during the summer when it is extra warm. You would probably know if yours did as ours would just quit till I unplugged it and let it cool down. I even set it in the refrigerator. Then it works again. I read a lot of reviewers on Amazon complain about the overheating. Then they made a Roku 4 that had a fan built in, and apparently the fan is very noisy. There is another out that I am looking at that has even better reviews that is supposed to be a bit faster. Anyway, that is where I read about the little external fans that you can buy for your devices.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Gym Styles Chest & Triceps, 48 minutes, 146 calories. That was tough! I have not done a good old fashioned weight lifting workout in a long time. I am sure I will be feeling this.

Diane Sue, that DVD player looks great. Nice that it has built in WiFi. I never knew that these were available.

Carolyn, nice workouts. :). I have not done any yoga classes. As for a DVD, the only one I have really done is the short KCM one, which I like because it is the moving type of yoga. I really need to try one of Cathe's. Great that your husband was able to improve his diet enough to be able to not need the meds. When you had panic attacks with bridges, was it both when you were the driver and a passenger? or just the driver? I only had them when I was driving the car. If I was a passenger, they did not bother me at all.

Judy, same question Judy....did bridges bother you only when driving, or both when you were the driver and the passenger?

Lori, sometimes you have to just do what feels good right? I guess I am not familiar with how a Roku works. I cannot imagine taking my Chromecast with me when I travel....not sure how I would set it up on a different TV etc. I don't think they were meant to be portable, even though they are small. I see Cathe is doing PHAT 3 Live for the workout today. I will surely do that one this week! An updated Live list would be awesome, but I know you are pretty busy so whenever you get to it is fine.

Hi to Valerie,

A workout, then may go to my friends for a visit.

Take care,

Deb, I did not realize that dvd player had so much stuff till I set it up. I bought it for a dvd player with 3D. I knew it was Hdmi and had a usb port on the front. I was pleasantly surprised.

Judy, I would not like that bridge. It we ould be one of those times that I would heave a sigh of relief when I got off of it.

Well I have been down for a couple days. we were going to mt bike wed but I didn't feel well and diarrhea on and off all day. we drove to the spot, found it marked "no parking" and then it started raining so went home. anyway, who in their life has not had diarrhea a few times?? but odd for me since I usually high dose fiber supplements. I had some generalized aches and pains so figured I had a virus of some sort. in fact I still don't know what this is.
I tried a new sugar substitute on my oats that morning, a stevia one. I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom , which is also normal for me. I felt some pain in my left heel but went back to bed. when I got up I could not walk. can't put my left heel down. the combination ... big time urgency and a foot that won't work is a bad combination! I'm using a crutch and only went down the stairs once in two days. DH is bringing me everything so being wonderful.
I keep thinking, I never used that stevia product before, only used one envelope but everything happened after that. I know that doesn't prove cause and effect. maybe a coincidence. the foot is plantar fasciitis and should get better with heat and stretching. I must have stepped on it funny though I don't remember anything. dark, middle of the night.

at any rate, I have been down for 2 days, today is not looking much better.

wow those are bothersome bridges? I am immune to that. we have LOT of bridges here. I would never get anywhere since we have a lot of water here and therefore, lots of bridges.

Lori I know exactly what you mean. when I went in for the pacer, people were amazed because I was so unusual, was not a frail 75 yr old. if there is a "glitch" somewhere in body mechanics, it can show up anywhere, anytime and at least there was something to be fixed for both of us. that is more my judgement of how serious a problem something is... can it be fixed. if it can, fix it and move on. plenty of things are not fixable..

Last edited:
No workout today. I had an appointment with a CPA and I was trying to make sure I was organized and had all necessary papers.

Deb, great job with Gym Styles. I am better on bridges if I am driving. As a passenger I try to keep my focus straight ahead and not look over the sides.

Valerie, I am sorry that you are not feeling well. I would also look to any new food as the possible cause for problems. I like your philosophy of fix it and move on. That’s how I feel.

Lori, it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job of managing your diabetes. Your doctor is probably amazed. My husband’s numbers were just above the normal range. I think it was brought on by lifestyle and poor habits.

Diane Sue I’m sure that you had a great dinner with your granddaughter and her fiancé. That May wedding date will be here before you know it.

Judy, I wouldn’t have a hard time with that bridge! That’s when I practice yoga breathing to try to calm myself.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.