Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/4

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Agility class yesterday was great. John came and recorded the runs with his iPad. I will be posting a good one on YouTube, and will put a link here.

Valerie, I have the same issues that you do with preacher curls. It feels like my elbows are being twisted in an unnatural way. John is going to have a full body scan once a year. He says that the incision seems like it is pulling when he bends down. Otherwise it is ok.

Lori, go glad Nilla is better! There was something about doing Slow & Heavy for too long, but can't remember what the timing was. Diane Sue may remember what they say about that type of lifting...and whether you take breaks etc. Is Cathe Live different with a Roku?

Carolyn, great job on finishing the FS rotation! I feel the same about the workouts, like the weight work, but the cardio, not too much. May go over and look at the February rotation too..

Diane Sue, I am amazed at how you can remember what workouts are like, after not doing them for years. :). the Derm Dr had John putting petroleum jelly on the site after they took the sample for the biopsy, but the surgeon just said change the dressing. I thought this was strange. I tried one of the Whole 30 Fast & Easy recipes....one with ground beef. I though was pretty bland. I would definitely figure out some spices to add if I did it again. Do you remember those 1 lb handled walking weights that were red, and a big phase for a while? I have those but forget what they are called. They slip on to your hands and have a hard round bar that you hold on to.

Judy, same weather forecast here....we are supposed to have 5 inches of snow today. I use the FT rack as well since my weight bench has now turning into a storage area. :). That's really great that yoga helps you.

A workout, then going to see my cousin's new puppy! He is so cute. She picked him up yesterday. This is the one that lost both of her dogs within a 5 week period.

Take care,

Can’t sleep !!

Preachers are impossible. My elbows point toward each other and hands splay outward. Totally goofy. I usually do one arm at a time but then need to pause the disk. Getting higher over the ball helps a little but mostly I zip thru and go very light.
I like weighted gloves for lifting but for boxing ...the weight on back of your hand flies wildly from momentum and unsticks the Velcro in a minute or less.

Deb yes post the link. Love to see it

I have the same problem with preacher curls. I almost always substitute another curl when those come up.

Reactions: WD
Good morning everyone. I'm still hanging in here, finished week 3 of the Ice Rotation and my FT arrived. I think I will continue with week 4 (since it's mostly cardio) then move to the Fit Tower / Ice / Low Impact series 90 day rotation. Anyone have any experience with this rotation?

I also had my desk at work raised so that I won't have to sit as much during the day. I think this is going to be super helpful in the long run.

I'm having a struggle adjusting to my new schedule, that is why I've been a little quiet. Things should settle down for me soon hopefully.

Happy week everyone!

Good Morning,
This morning I did The Ultimate Yogi Yin Yoga for 1 hour and 4 minutes. Calories burned was 111, average heart rate 89, and maximum heart rate 127. This was my first time doing this type of yoga where the poses are held for 3-5 minutes. I didn’t think that I would like it but I was wrong. It was a very good deep stretching experience with a lot of focus on hips and lower body.

Valerie, sorry to hear that you were unable to sleep. Hope you get some rest today.

Janet, glad that things are going well for you. You will enjoy the Fit Tower. I haven’t done the rotation that you mentioned, but I have done all three of the series and I like the workouts.

Deb, I made another recipe from Whole 30 Fast and Easy that we loved. It was North African Chicken Skillet with Sweet Potato Noodles. I recently bought a North African spice blend called Ras El Hanout which includes the spices in the recipe and a few more. I used some on the chicken and in the noodles which added a small amount of heat without being too much. It will go on my list of dishes to make again. Another spice blend that I bought was Za’atar which I used on grilled chicken and in some ground turkey burgers. That one is good too.

Diane Sue, as you can see I am enjoying the cookbook. I have marked the recipes that I want to try.

Lori, I’m sure that you are prepared for a Super Bowl evening. Enjoy! Anyone else planning to watch the game? My husband is watching with his friends which is great for me. I might have it on, but I don’t really watch. I do like the commercials and the halftime show.

Judy, yoga seems to grow on you. I never thought that I would like it as much as I do. I didn’t like the first few yoga dvds that I tried and stopped doing it all until Cathe’s Low Impact Series Yoga. Now I can feel the difference that it makes with stiffness and flexibility which makes me come back for more. I was surprised by today’s Yin Yoga. I have skipped over it many times within trying it, but recently I read about the benefits and decided to give it a try.

Hello to Melanie. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Good afternoon ladies!

This morning was Xtrain All Out Low Impact. Been ages since I have done this one. I enjoyed it but changed is up a bit. When it came to mountian climbers with the sliders I did my standing version on my rebounder. I liked it so much I did all the next slider moves on the rebounder. Needed to change things a bit but I bounced my way using similar moves. Was fun. I do plan on bouncing later today. We went for brunch this morning so needed a quick workout. This low impact is only about 40 mins so this worked well.

Valerie...preacher curls are so hard for me too. Yesterday I managed to do them but only used 10lbs.

Deb...can’t wait to see the link. I love watching them. Maybe with slow and heavy I will do 2 weeks and see how I feel. I have not used the Live Channel on the Roku yet but it looks great. It is very similar to the Live App. You can select by date, type, length etc. It has a Favorite tab like the App does and all my favorites are in there. I like they all sycned.

Carolyn...my husband and I have our Pats Gear on and pretty much everyone else does. At brunch today all the staff had jerseys and 95% of the guest had something of the Patriots on. It was pretty awesome to see. The place was packed. We all want to get our morning fill in before the game. We have a few people coming over tonight to watch on the projection screen. Will be a fun evening. Congrats on finishing the rotation!

Janet...I feel for you. It was not easy for me to switch to morning workouts. I just kept plugging a long. Too many things were causing me to miss my evening workouts so that was motivation for me to keep going with it. I am glad I did, now it is routine for me and don’t think anything of it. You’ll get there.

Diane Sue...I am with Deb about your memory bank! Congrats to you too finishing the rotation. I have not done a Christi Taylor workout. She was huge into step correct? Funny story....my sons GF told us at brunch today that the Beast came out at the concert they went to last night. They were close to the stage in the pit and it was getting really tight and she is so tiny she was starting to have an anxiety attack. The larger people were pretty much shoving her and pushing her every which way. She said he got into Beast Mode and pushed everyone a side so she had some air. Nicholas has been doing Body Beast I think for about 4 or 5 weeks now and looks tough ! He has gauges and tattos so he can look like someone you do not want to mess with. His GF was funny telling the story.

Judy...If I ever do STS again I will shorten Meso 1 to maybe 2 weeks then continue one. Unlikely, I will do it again though but do not want to say never! Nice workout yesterday! :) We are getting some snow later but not much. I am happy about this.

Have a great afternoon all!

good morning ....again. I did get back to sleep ....

Carolyn I used to go to a yin yoga class occasionally. I paid for 2 classes a week and could do any two, so sometimes tried yin. It was okay but especially in a big class, it was tedious. I never could think about anything but getting out of the position. maybe if you don't have to listen to 25 other people, you can focus on the position itself, but I never could do that. I've resolved to put some effort into getting back to yoga even if the class is too far to get to now. watching the utube video with good instructions, it's possible to learn and do things correctly. I think I'll remember a lot when I'm reminded. I went to classes for almost 10 years but it never was intuitive for me. I went to 7 am classes, and often there were only a few people there, 4 or 5. later classes were always busier.

good to know I'm not the only one with issues with preacher curls. one arm at a time gets around some of the problems, but just a plain curl works fine instead.

DH might watch the game today. I will do grocery shopping. no favorite here except I am getting Tom Brady overload.

another long wet stretch here with probably some flooding today and tomorrow. it is warm, wet, spring like. all kinds of plants are up and growing.

Today was my rest day. We had our usual Sunday family day and now I am sitting at home relaxing. :)

Deb, I believe Slow and Heavy was to get past plateaus and was meant to be done 2 to 3 weeks. I don't think that she has that description on them anymore. I know it doesn't say on their site I think those weights were called Heavy Hands. That may be a brand though and just became a catch all name like Kleenex for tissue and Coke for cola :) I could be wrong though. I have done all of my workouts so many times, it just takes a quick look even after years to remember the workout and my likes and dislikes. I did separate some of those workouts on Slow and Heavy once in awhile to do just a body part or use just the abs to make them shorter so I could kick out a cardio workout too. It will be fun seeing the youtube video :) Which ground beef recipe did you try. I tend to add more spices to a lot of the recipes. I can generally tell if they are going to need something just by looking at how much is added. When I made the fajita bowl I added some chipotle powder, I also forgot the cumin. I forgot to stir some olive oil into the spaghetti squash on a noodle bowl and the second time I served a dish I forgot to put the broth on it. The broth used could make a difference as well. I think taste can change on these recipes according to if you use scratch ingredients or packaged. I loved the buffalo chicken dip on the sweet potato and think I am going to have some more tonight. I try not to skimp on the onions and garlic in the recipes. I used to think they called for too much on mini recipes, but it makes a real difference. Also I have noticed that Whole 30 does go light on the salt. I always use extra pepper. Even the Whole 30 ranch that I make has no added salt. There is a 1/2 teaspoon in the mayonnaise recipe that I make though. Have fun with the new puppy :)

Janet, nice work getting through your rotation. I have not done that 90 day rotation. I am sure that you will enjoy the Fit Tower and that rotation will probably be a really good one. Changing schedules will become a habit. It just takes time :)

Judy, I just fight through the preacher curls on the ball :)

Carolyn, I discovered yin yoga when I started doing Sarah Beth and it is excellent for getting a deep stretch. I always feel so much looser and more relaxed when I am done. Of course she does a variety of yoga styles. My first experience with yoga was P90X and then I purchased some that were recommended to me by others. I got rid of some of them because I like nice stretching or active yoga. I do not care for some of the stuff that seems a bit weird. I am not a fan of breathing and puffing, lions breathe, really odd positions that I don't think my body is supposed to do and then again some instructors are like 60's hippies to me. I am enjoying the Fast and Easy. I go through it and mark recipes to try and once I do them I remove the marker to another few I want to try. I need to get some stickers or something for favorites. I used to just write in my cookbook something like, "yum" or changes that I made to make it "yum" I hate writing all over it though :) I saw that Sprouts has some new spice blends. It took me a long time to find Chinese 5 spice blend for some ground turkey lettuce wraps that I have made from Practical Paleo. I need to find some other recipes to use the spice blend with :) I also need to remember a spice mix I put together for a roast and that keeps sitting in the cupboard because I forget it is there. I did the same thing with a bottle of a sausage blend that I made from a recipe. I need to label them and that might be helpful.

Lori, good idea doing the slider type moves on the rebounder. LOL on the Beast having them move aside for your son's girlfriend. I bet that was fun though. Maybe not for her at first though. Sagi seems like he has a sense of humor and a kind heart when I read some of his posts on his website.

Valerie, I am glad that you were able to get back to sleep. I laid in bed awake a lot last night 3 am I was looking at the clock. At 6:45 I thought I should get up, but somehow fell asleep and got up at 8. I do not feel very rested at all today. Going grocery shopping during super bowl is usually a good time to find the store not crowded except for other who don't care :) I don't pay much attention, other than my husband talking to the players on tv.

Last edited:
Good morning,

Yesterday I did the latest Live workout; "Low Impact Boot Camp". This is a great total body weight workout, done is rounds of Cardio, Legs, Metabolic, Upper etc, 51 minutes, 300 calories.

Here is the link to one of the runs we did in class on Saturday. Some of it is hard to see, especially in the back of the hall, where she goes up and down a teeter, and weaves through 12 poles. I hope it works.

Valerie, why no sleep?

Janet, I like the idea of a raised desk at work. You must work for a flexible company. Most would not hear of doing that. Good job hanging in there with the rotation.

Carolyn, great job on the yoga....holding a pose for 3-5 minutes has got to be tough! Where do you get those spices? We have a Penzy's here, but we have been kind of staying away from the store...I don't like his advertising. He is way too political. Not a good business move.

Lori, you always do a good job in modifying! Unfortunately the Live app for Android does not work well on my phone. Rather than mess up what I have, I steer clear of anything but using the web site access. That was scary about your sons GF and almost having a panic attack, but I like what she did to get out of it!.

Diane Sue, Yes! Heavy Hands! I still have them. It was the Fajita Beef Skillet recipe from Whole 30 Fast & Easy. I will definitely have to up the spices the next time I try one. Going grocery shopping during the Super Bowl is a great idea!

A workout, something cardio, then puppy class this morning.

Take care,

Deb, I loved the video. It looks like so much fun and rewarding for both of you at the same time. My Avon 1 # dumbbells are sort of like that. The whole thing is 1 solid piece shaped like a letter D. I use those a lot for kickboxing. I have never heard of Penzys. There are a couple of places I do not shop, and I miss some of their stuff, but for the same reason.

Last edited:
Deb-I love the video too! That looks like so much fun! We have a Penzey's in the Detroit metro area too. I agree, he is way too political. I won't shop there either.

Kylee is just darling!. Deb, you get quite the workout in the process too.

My whole "shopping during the superbowl" went down the tubes yesterday. I didn't need much , so I ended up watching a good part of the game. it's a lot more fun to watch when you don't care who wins. it was a good, not boring, game. I'm a casual rather than rabid watcher, so I got on the spin bike and did 35 min during part of it.
I am thinking Penzeys is Wisconsin based. companies take business risks when they make their politics known, but it cuts both ways. some people will go out of their way to support them. It can be upsetting to find out a company whose products you like supports political positions you oppose. I try to reinforce my vote with my cash/credit card when I can.

The Yin classes I went to had you hold positions for 3 or so minutes. the positions were all sitting or lying as I recall. we did not try to hold warrior for several minutes! it was not as easy as it might sound but I never enjoyed it and found more movement enjoyable.

Today I did ICE Low Impact Sweat 1 for 28 minutes and 178 calories burned. Average heart rate was 123 and maximum heart rate 145. After that I did Fit Split Legs and Glutes without the warmup. That was 30 minutes and 109 calories burned. Average heart rate 102 and maximum heart rate 133.

Deb, that’s a nice video of Kylee. I ordered the spice blends from Amazon. The brand that I bought is Teeny Tiny Spice Company. There is a Penzey’s here but I’ve never bought anything from them. The yoga poses were seated poses as Valerie mentioned. I used my yoga strap and block for some of them.

Valerie, I don’t think I would enjoy a large group for Yin Yoga either. Using the props helped me with some of the poses, but I am always aware of my physical limitations. Most were held for 3 minutes, but a couple were held for 5 minutes. I couldn’t hold that long and had to come out of those early. I agree with you about companies mixing politics and business.

Diane Sue, I often add additional seasoning to most recipes after I check the taste. I make my own spice blends most of the time and I have forgotten to label them sometimes. I have seen recipes for both za’atar and ras el hangout, but I didn’t have all of the necessary spices. I’m glad that I ordered them.

Hello to Judy, Lori, Janet, and Melanie.

Carolyn I have tried mixing my own za' atar. recently tried a recipe for dukkah. neither one turned out very memorably. I will try buying some instead.

Valerie, that was a great idea to spin while watching the superbowl. Nice workouts today!

Carolyn-Udaya.com has Travis's Yin Yoga so I tried it last night. I really need to work on my flexibility. Holding the poses that long was challenging and I learned I'm not as flexible as I thought. I also used yoga blocks to help with most of the poses. I do think I'm going to go ahead and buy the Ultimate Yogi set rather than keep the Udaya streaming.

Good evening ladies,

No workout today. I was tired after entertaining then cleaning up afterwards. Even though the Pats lost we had a fun time. I am really happy for the Eagles as they played well and deserved it.

Diane Sue...thanks for the info on Slow and Heavy. It sounds like this would not be the rotation I should do next. I still have a few weeks to decide so hopefully by then I will know. I love that you have family days. Nicholas is really enjoying Body Beast. I love that he works out. I said to him the other day that I would like to think I influenced him and he laughed and said “yup, I have never known you to not work out!”

Deb...thank you so much for sharing the video. Kylee is so cute!!!!!! I am really quick to think of a modification. When rebounding a move I can quickly come up with a similar move using the same muscles as the floor work...plus I bounce the move. I can be very creative! Panic attacks are very scary. You might remember, a few years back, I started having panic attacks while driving. I went into therapy to help and it did wonders. Apparently, I needed to reduce my stress. My boss at the time was not the nicest. Anyway, he is gone and and my stress has been reduced considerably! No more panic attacks. :)

Valerie...funny you watched the game. It really was intense. Awesome you got in 30 mins of spin too!

Carolyn...great workout today. Tomorrow I am doing FS Bootcamp and legs. Looking forward to it. Yesterday before the game I did a LEKfit bounce and then SB Intermediate Lower Body Bounce. For an intermediate workout this fries my legs. Towards the end my legs are shaking uncontrollably. More then any of her workouts that I have done. Even some of her advanced workouts do not hit my quads like this one does.

No Penzey’s here. Never heard of it.

Judy...do you still stream SBF?

Have a great night all!

Lori-Panic attacks are scary! I've had a few, when I was younger and also around the time I started menopause. I don't stream SBF anymore. I might have to look at it again in the future.

Today I did the rest of the Christi Taylor workout I got at the library, Cardio Core, 35 minutes, 228 calories, heart rate average 128, met 5.9, 3,668 steps. I then did Kelly Coffey Build and Burn Cardio Core, 27 minutes, 185 calories met 6.2, heart rate 131 average, 170 max, 2,074 steps. I finished off with Build and Burn Upper super sets, heart rate average 115, max 158, 4.8 met, 32 minutes, 939 steps 168 calories. Total time was 94 minutes, calories burned 581. I started to post earlier and my daughter called and her and my granddaughter were coming over to visit before they go pick up my grandson :) I love it when they stop by. My granddaughter's job is coaching the debate team at a school and she did not have a class or to coach today because of some of the sickness at the school We got to sit and talk about her wedding plans. Her and her fiance are coming over for dinner tomorrow evening. :)

Upper Body super sets weights 3 sets each super set 8 reps
shoulders- reverse grip press 12,12,12 # dbs super set with lateral raise and extend 8, 8, 8# dbs
biceps-pulse curls 15,15,15# dbs super set with pledges alternating 12,12,12# dbs
triceps- seated overhead extension 25#, 25#, 25# db super set with tate press 15,15,15# dbs
chest- reverse grip bench press 17.5,17.5, 15# dbs super set with connected dumbbell press 17.5, 17.5, 15 # dbs
back- seated rows 17.5, 17.5, 17.5 # dbs super set with standing cross row 25#, 25#, 25# db
burn out with light weights 10# dbs

Valerie, good idea with the spin bike during the game. We watched a movie that we hadn't watched in a long time called Wild Hogs and got a good laugh. The yin yoga I have done does not have you in real uncomfortable positions for that length of time, it can be harder than one would think though. I think it is great for a really good stretch. It is not one that is easy to use a heart rate monitor with because there is not a lot of movement and I doubt much in the way of extra calorie burn. I do lean more toward a more active yoga myself, but sometimes I just need a really good deep stretch.

Carolyn, I order a lot of the things that I cannot find from Amazon. It seems I can get almost anything from there. Sprouts keeps adding some new things and more Whole 30 appropriate things. Then, many of the items mentioned in the back of the Whole 30 Fast and Easy are mentioned in the back of the book and I could find on Amazon. Have you ever tried Crio Bru Coffee Alternative made from cocoa beans? I saw some in Sprouts and it is listed in my cookbook. I am just looking for something that I really like the taste of for a hot drink in the mornings without cream. When it is cold I drink a lot more coffee, and am really trying to cut back on the cream.
I was doing well this morning with black coffee, but my daughter and granddaughter bought me a caramel macchiatto starbucks. I enjoyed it immensely since I had not eaten breakfast or lunch:) Here it is 4 and I finally had some of the pork meatballs on spaghetti squash from my cookbook.

Judy, if you like his yoga it would probably be better to just purchase those and maybe save some money. Some of those long poses can be tough even when they would seem like they would be easy.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live Crush it Low Impact...34 minutes, 174 calories. The screen froze at one point, and when I tried to get it back, it started a little ahead, so I missed a couple of exercises. Still a great cardio workout.

Diane Sue, yes, agility is a lot of fun for us. That was an easier course, not too much running. My Heavy Hands are just like that, shaped like a "D", with spongy handles. That was nice that you got to visit with your daughter and granddaughter. When is the wedding?

Judy, it's a shame about Penzy's. John would go there about once a month...I have one cupboard that is nothing but spices. LOL...:). I think any pose longer than 30 seconds would be too long for me. LOL.

Valerie, it's great that you got in a spin workout during the Super Bowl....something productive done...LOL.

Carolyn, great job on the workouts. I have never actually seen how any of those yoga props work, or what they do.

Lori, Maybe do Slow & Heavy for 1 or 2 week? Yes, I remember that you had panic attacks and how scary they were. It is funny all the things stress can do to you. A very good thing that your source of stress left! I still get I guess what would be a panic attack when driving over long bridges. I just avoid them.

Take care,

Deb, that is too bad the streaming didn't work well for that workout. That is one of the reasons imam hesitant, because od the frustration when it does not work. I don't know why but when I got my blu ray player which can be used for youtube and netflix and other channels, I quit having problems with streaming. It is the same with our newer Roku srick. I wonder if some players make the streaming work better? We have a Roku 3 downstairs though and it will buffer and is very annoying. I bet you get a good amount of steps when you are running the course. Yes, my heavy hands are sort of a spongy, flocked material covering.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.