Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/19/2023

Just a quick check in on my phone to say, we have no power. Our estimated restoration is in 17 minutes and they have yet to determine cause

My parents and brother also have no power along with a large portion of lower as Michigan.

No workout today.

Today I did RWH Chest, Triceps, and Shoulders, two sets and no finishers. That was 32 minutes and 164 calories burned. My average heart rate was 123 and maximum heart rate was 147.

Valerie, unfortunately Costco isn’t an option for me since we only have the Business Center. The closest location with a pharmacy is 30 miles away. There is supposed to be one closer in a new shopping area that’s being developed, but I’ll believe that when I can see the building coming up.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner To the Beat Cardio Mashup, Low Impact Cardio, and Flow Mobility.

Cathy, I really hope that your power is restored before Monday. That’s a long time, but ice with downed lines is a difficult situation.

Waving hello to Judy. I’m glad that you have a generator.

Last edited:
carolyn I would not drive 30 extra miles either! this area is costco's "birthplace". we have a lot of costco stores here. I have 7 costco stores within approx 30 miles, one only 5-10 min away. we are getting set up for snow this weekend with cold temps. unusual weather conditions right now, not trusting forecasts are going to be accurate about what will happen where.

Last edited:
Today I was having the upset stomach thing again, so it took a while to get settled and do a workout. I am not sure what is doing it. I wanted to get in weights, so I did Fit Split Pull day timesaver weights with warm up and stretch and with a few changes after looking up building back up on weight training after the shoulder surgery. This took me 55 minutes because I did the warmup twice, 151 calories, 1101 steps heart rate 99/133. I finished off with Perfect 30 Flow Mobility strength timesaver 13 minutes, 32 calories, heart rate 89/105. Total time was 68 minutes, 183 calories. I want to do CDorner Fast Basic Step 30 minute workout tomorrow. I would have today, but just did not have the energy.
Pull Day Weights
one arm rows set 1 25# db 12 reps
one arm rows set 2 25# db 10 reps
one arm rows set 3 25# db 10 reps
pullovers (on stability ball =) set 1 10# dbs 8 reps ( I did not go back far)
pullovers set 2 10# dbs 6 reps
pullovers set 3 10# dbs 6 reps
overhand row with loop band and 12# dbs set #1 10 repss
overhand rows set 2 12# dbs 10 reps
overhand row set 3 12# dbs 10 reps
deadlifts 40# barbell 10 reps
deadlifts 40# barbell 10 reps
superset 1 upright rows 30# barbell 10 reps
rear delt fly 10# dbs 10 reps
superset 2 upright rows 30# barbell 8 reps
rear delt fly 10# dbs 8 reps
superset 3 upright rows 30# barbells 8 reps
rear delt fly 10# dbs 8 reps
superset lateral raise set 1 (I did more bent over delt raises as the training paper I printed up from a hospital says lateral delt raises should be avoided because it has a wearing affect on the rotator cuff and can impinge. Suggest prone or bent over position instead)
external rotation with loop and 5# dbs set 1 6 reps
superset lateral raise set 2 8# dbs 8 reps bent over
external rotation loop and 5# dbs 6 reps
superset lateral raise set 3 8# dbs 8 reps bent over
external rotation loop and 5# dbs 6 reps
Giant set Barbell curls set #1 30# 10 reps
w curls set #1 12# dbs 10 reps
sweeper curls set #1 12# dbs 10 reps
Giant set barbell curls 30# 9 reps
w curls set #2 12# dbs 8 reps
sweeper curls 12# dbs 8 reps
Giant set #3 barbell curls 30# 6 reps
w curls set 3 10# dbs 6 reps the angle was making a click in the front of my shoulder
sweeper curls 12# dbs 6 reps changed to hammer curl because of clicking
stability ball variety hamstring roll ins

Last edited:
Cathy, I hope that you stay warm. I hate power outages. Around here they usually give an approximate time, but almost always have it back up and running faster. I remember doing the workout that you did yesterday. I liked that one. This morning I pulled out a stack of live workouts that I had done before and typed up the moves. I forgot that I did that. I have a door anchor that looks like what Cathe has. I purchased it because it was sturdy and stayed in place well. I was always afraid on the smaller flimsy one that I had. I have Cathe tubing and the Beach Body B-lines that have detachable handles. My grandson broke one tying it to stuff and snapping it back.

Carolyn, nice work with Ripped with Hiit Chest, Triceps and Shoulders two sets. When they were talking about a Cosco in our city it took a long time for them to get started on the building aspect of it. My granddaughter goes there, but I am not doing a 50-minute drive to go there myself.

Valerie, one day they will be saying rain or snow and the next it never happens here. It is below freezing tonight and tomorrow, but no precipitation. It comes when it is supposed to warm back up. I do not like it when a pharmacy messes up. That is dangerous. The pharmacy at the arthritis center always verifies the prescription number and my birthdate and info when I call or pick up my prescriptions. I did go through some problems with Walgreens a couple of times and switched.

Judy nice work on the Peloton ride and yin yoga yesterday.

I hope you all stay warm and safe.

Last edited:
I did a 30 min spin, bicep curls with band, abs from x train last night.
finally a clear weather day but its very cold , for here. about 20 ish. going to stay cold and then probably snow. sunday. because of the way coastal weather works, its hard to predict. its not as simple as weather inland. portland OR got a surprise dump of snow, and usually we would have similar weather, but did not this time, portland is only 4 hours away. off for an eye appt this morning, routine check. then groceries later so Im stocked up before the pending snow. unseasonal and very weird weather pattern but most of the coubntry is getting that right now.

Today I did RWH Legs for 42 minutes and 230 calories burned. My average heart rate was 124 and maximum heart rate was 154. This is the workout that uses contrast training, following each strength exercise with a contrasting cardio segment.

Diane Sue, great job with Fit Split Pull Day and P30 Flow Mobility Strength timesaver. I realized this week that the two RWH upper body workouts are organized into a pull workout and a push workout.

Valerie, great job with doing 30 minutes on the spin bike, bicep curls, and XTrain abs.

Cathy and Judy, I hope that you are warm and safe.

Just a quick note, we lost power Wednesday around 6 pm and just got it back about an hour ago.
We didn't think we would get it back before Monday so we are very happy.
Great job with all the workouts everyone!
Cathy, I hope you and your family are doing ok. This was a bad storm, worse than I expected.

I'll post more this weekend.

Today I did CDorner Fast Basic Step from 2 days ago, 34 minutes, heart rate 134/157, 184 calories, 3,077 steps. I then did Cathe LITE Body Weight and bands skipping some moves and only doing the seated band pulls, finishing by adding 3 sets of 10 reps 10# dbs triceps kickbacks, 34 minutes, heart rate 106/137, 125 calories, 1,107 steps. I felt like I pretty much worked the same muscles that I did for the Pull Day yesterday. I finished off with the Extended Stretch #2 adding some upper body stretches, 18 minutes, 27 calories. Total time was 86 minutes, 336 calories, 4,184 steps. I may try to get in legs tomorrow.

Carolyn, I remember that with the two upper body RWH workouts. They each had a different shoulder section where one was more pull moves and one more push moves. I should look at the moves on RWH lower. I did the Fit Split one not too long ago and had to print up worksheets and I had filled the ones from before. I kind of want to skip that one and some of the moves on the push Fit Split I would have to go light and alter the moves.

Valerie, nice work with a spin workout and biceps with bands and abs.

Judy, I am glad you got your power back before Monday.

judy its nice when the power comes back on before you expected it to. Cathy, assume you are still out or we would hear from you. monday is a long time yet. hope it is fixed sooner than that. since we got our generator, it hasn't happened here..... not that I'm wishing for a power out! sure is inconvenient but we can work around most of the difficulties but the fridge/freezer problem is the one I wanted to get past. we also could charge phones, run some small things. we don't get as many "outs" as we used to but the ones we get are longer.

I had appt for eye exam yesterday early and then had costco shopping later so ended up taking the day off exercise. it was sunny but very cold and windy. DH is slowly improving but this cough has been hanging on. we hoped for a Montana trip but the time is getting too short. my eye appt went OK but I need to get adjusted to needing cataract surgery. sort of rite of passage. if you live long enough, you need it. Im not having problems yet but dont want to stall until there are "issues" so probably this year for #one.

We got our power back Thursday about 5:30, so we were actually only out about 10 hours. We really thought we'd be among the last because they usually focus on more populated areas, but the majority of outages were south and west of us, and we are near the county line, so I think we got lucky that the workers up here dealt with things near then, before going to help other areas. My parents are still out and they are finally getting a hotel tonight. I really think my Dad would have done it sooner, but my Mom does not deal well with unfamiliar surroundings. They finally got out yesterday and went to walk and then to the hockey game at Western MI (they have season tickets) and when they got home it was only 41 in the house. At that point, they gave up, but they can't get in their room till 4 today. The hotel only just got power and they are getting things started back up. The hotels that did have power were pretty much full already.

I didn't workout Thursday since without power and the basement being dark it wasn't really feasible, then yesterday I had to shop. Trying to figure out cold food options on the day you normally shop was not easy, and it was a huge plus that it only lasted for breakfast and lunch. My parents have a gas stove and they still had water, so they could at least have hot drinks and warm food. I just did Boxing Hiit Express. Late start so I needed something short. And that was the end of my rotation, so I really need to figure out something for the next four weeks. I don't think we'll have STS 2.0 before that, but one can always hope.

Did everyone see that they are going to be selling the workouts individually? I know a lot of people on the forum had requested it. Especially for the abs and stretch/relaxation ones.

The nearest Costco to me is another 8-10 minutes from where I shop and that's already 35-40 minutes depending on traffic. So, I haven't even bothered to check it out.

Judy I'm glad your power came back sooner than expected, too. I spent a fair amount of time messaging with my sister the last couple days trying to figure out how to get our parents to go somewhere. Kept meaning to pop in and say something, but kept getting distracted. It was a good thing, my portable car charger works for my phone, because I was messaging so much Thursday, I had to charge my phone multiple times in just the 10 hours!

Today is a rest day. I went to the farmer’s market for fresh greens then to Sprouts and The Fresh Market. The vendor that I like for most of my veggies has some prepared foods as well. Many people come by for her salads and homemade soups. I bought a bag of slaw mix to save myself a little time with today’s dinner. I like her mixture of red and green cabbage, carrots, and a whole scallion to add if you want it. The ratio of each ingredient is good and it’s freshly cut. I make my own vinegar based dressing.

Diane Sue, nice work with CDorner Fast Basic Step, LiTE Body Weight and Bands, and the Extended Stretch. When I do RWH Legs I keep my cardio low impact.

Judy, it’s great that your power has been restored.

Cathy, you were very fortunate with the power coming back after 10 hours. I’m glad that your parents were able to find a hotel. I have a gas cook top and electric oven. That allows me to cook something when our power is out. I really have been thinking about the generator. I have a feeling that we are in for more of these power outages for one reason or another.

Valerie, I have the beginnings of cataracts too. My doctor always says that if you live long enough you will get them. He is monitoring them for now. I’m glad that your husband is improving.

Enjoy your day everyone.

I knew I had the beginnings of cataracts but not a rush to do anything. I noticed it when my pupils were dilated, on one eye. after that wore off, I don't notice anything but that tells me the time is approaching. the Ophthalmologist said the "c" word this time too.

we are all electric here except for our wood stove. when power is out, we are totally dead in the water. we have our camper and we keep propane full so that is an option. in winter its emptied out, so a bit of fuss to move supplies out there and get things rolling. Ive tried a few pre made bagged salads but my experience is the ingredients dont age well and its a last resort.

cathy thats great you got reconnected so quickly. here, power companies prioritize by # of customers who are "out" and go to the biggest groups first. sometimes if you have a localized outage you can get shoved to the end of the line. happened to us 2 years ago. we were out for 4-5 days and our community was running out of water but they finally got to us. we have a community well. we are a cluster of 150 lots, and the outage was right at the beginning of our road, so it didnt affect thousands, just us.

off to do a spin. and some weights. 30 min spin, therapy and series of weights using mostly bands. also dips.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.