Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/19/2023

Good morning. Judy, thanks for starting us off this week. I did my weekly yoga today. Otherwise it’s another rest day.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

good morning. things are the same here, Im really tired and he's coughing and keeping us awake at night. thought we might get some sleep last night with the new cough syrup and inhaler but ti isnt making much difference. Ive been doing my therapy exercises and will try to do something else today too.

I did Pyramid Pump Lower Body today.

Carolyn good job keeping up with the yoga.

Valerie sorry to hear the cough syrup is helping your husband. I'm sure you're both exhausted. Great that you were able to keep up with your therapy exercises anyway.

I did 30 on the spin bike, abs from train and a set of general upper body exercises from no particular workout. skipped therapy work. I think he's coughing less so maybe we will get some uninterrupted sleep tonight.

No workout today. Yesterday I spent a lot of time preparing for birthdays today. No workout today as it is my usual planned rest day.

Valerie, I am sorry your husband is still not doing well. Last time my husband was sick he had a cough that seemed to go on a very long time. I never find cough syrup to work all that well. I usually combine cough syrup and taking chloroseptic cough lozenges that sort of numb the throat. Lots of ginger tea.

This morning I did Step Sync, combos one and two, for 33 minutes and 198 calories burned. My average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate was 148.

Valerie, I’m glad that your husband seems to be coughing less. Hopefully the worst is behind you now. Nice job with getting in a workout.

Cathy, great job with Pyramid Pump Lower Body.

Diane Sue, I’m sure that you had a good family birthday celebration.

Waving hello to Judy.

we have some old chloroseptic spray he's using, could not find the lozenges. some other cough drops, a codeine (rx) cough syrup plus OTC cough syrup. pharmacies were out of everything! a lot of people sick around here right now and stores keep their stock ridiculously skimpy. I get so angry when 3/4 of the shelf space is empty. brand name or house brand, everything was out of stock. he is doing a mild workout this morning. still coughing but getting better. he thinks it will help. it's up to him. he got some sleep last night with coughing fits. I am still OK. will do a similar workout today. I need to wipe down whatever he used.... if he didn't already, including the TV remotes, machine handles and screens.

we are having crappy weather, cold and rainy with possible snow tomorrow so we aren't missing anything good. need to do groceries today because tomorrow might be a mess. people go crazy when it snows here.

I worked this weekend, my first full one in a while. Saturday I did 40 minutes of Peloton rides after work. Yesterday I got a lot of steps in at Home Depot but I didn't do a regular workout. Today I went to the gym with Chris and did an upper body workout. Peloton is adding in Yin Yoga sessions starting tomorrow and I'm looking forward to trying one. I'm also getting excited about STS 2.0 and really looking forward to getting started with it.

Carolyn-Great job with your yoga and Step Sync, combos one and two.

Valerie-Great job with spinning, abs and upper body. I'm glad your husband is coughing less and felt like working out. That's a good sign. We had some nice weather but it's getting crappy here again too. We have a winter storm watch for Wednesday and Thursday.

Cathy-Great job with Pyramid Pump Lower Body.

Diane Sue-I hope you had a nice rest day.

Today I did CDorner 30 minute, high energy step aerobics # 269, 34 minutes, heart rate 118/152, 153 calories, 3,721 steps. I then did some of Kelly Coffey Trim Down, 11 minutes of the boxing drills premix followed with some of the weights from the weights only mix, for a total of 25 minutes. I wanted to refresh my memory on the premixes and how I used them. I really want to do more of a weight workout tomorrow so did not want to overdo it. this was 91 calories, heart rate 112/170, 970 steps. I finished with Raw Athletic Stretch #2, 29 minutes, 45 calories, heart rate 77/94. 88 minutes total time, 289 calories, 4,691 steps.
Trim down weights that I used
Spiderman squats with 5# dbs-squats alternating dumbbells overhead like climbing
plie squat with 8# dumbbell touching floor and reaching overhead.
single leg suitcase deadlift holding 2 dbs together ( I held 1 15#)
stopped at this point.
We had a great time with the birthday party here yesterday.

Cathy, nice work with Pyramid Pump lower body yesterday.

Carolyn, nice work with Step Sync combos 1 and 2 today and your usual Sunday yoga yesterday.

Valerie, I am glad your husband is gradually getting better. Nice that you got a spin ride and some upper body exercises in. Hopefully you are in the clear on getting the flu. I bought two boxes of the Max Cough lozenges before winter. I keep them around year-round because when my allergies get bad sometimes it numbs my itchy sinuses enough to get me through a store or church service without coughing. I would sure like to figure out how to stop my allergies and I think they are not all seasonal as I have times where it just hits. Like in the laundry room, some areas of stores. And just sitting down to eat something and out of nowhere I am sneezing and coughing.
I carried around a bottle of antibacterial spray cleaner and paper towels and constantly wipe down handles and things touched. I do not get the real reason for stores being out of things. It is probably a mixture of things like less employees working, people that are hoarders and buy up and clear out the store shelves. Shipping I think is sometimes an issue. I do not know why media has to start announcing there may be a problem with shortages as it pushes people to run out and buy extra. Prices is what really gets me. When I got out my coconut pecan frosting recipe from Feb. 2016 there was a side add on it for extra large eggs for 1.99. So, they have sure gone up. I have had no problem with eggs though, but it may be because I buy the organic and free-range eggs which are ridiculously priced. I cannot stand those pale white sick looking cheap eggs. Also, there is a difference in taste quality. It is what they feed those chickens and how they are treated.

Judy, nice work with the Peloton ride and steps at Home Depot. Nice that you were able to go to the gym and do some weights too. I like new stretch workouts. I always look forward to CDorner putting out new yoga/mobility workout. I think there will be one tomorrow. I wish Kelly's new foam roller did not seem like it would hurt my back and neck. I have not pre-ordered yet, but I do plan on getting STS 2.0. I probably won't do it as a full plan though. I like the looks of all of the vid clips I have seen. I was trying to clean up my pilates ball today as I think my youngest grandson wrote all over it with a brown marker. It is pink. I may just have to get another one.

Last edited:
Only now realizing I didn't post yesterday. Yesterday I did Pyramid Pump Upper Body and today I did Step Moves. Again playing the game of when to grocery shop as we have a little bit of snow, but also ice potentially for the next two days. If it looks like it'll hold off a couple hours, I'll shop tomorrow, otherwise probably not till Friday. We can certainly make do until then, but I have a hold that has to be picked up at the library Thursday and they are all to prompt about putting things back into circulation these days. So, I'll have to call and see if they will jump the hoops needed to keep it on the shelf.

Valerie there's a lot of OTC med shortages around the country right now. In a lot of areas stuff for kids is practically non existent on the shelves. Here, too. A combo of demand, and a lot of the stuff having small profit margins, especially store brands, so they don't manufacture much excess. Did some reading up on it, as I've had trouble finding stuff for DH at times. And, there are also people hoarding. Nice job with the bike, abs and upper body work. I hope that you and your DH are getting more sleep. Glad you appear to have not caught what he has. Like Diane Sue, I've never found cough syrup to work for me at all.

Carolyn nice job with Step Sync.

Judy great job with the Peloton ride and upper body workout. I'm looking forward to STS 2.0, also, though I'm still sad that there won't be cardio workouts done to go with them.

Diane Sue nice job with high energy step aerobics, Trim Down and stretch. Haven't ate eggs in over 30 years, but we have over 30 chickens in the coop on the other side of our fence, and I'm pretty sure the neighbors just give them away. I will also note that 30 chickens can make a lot of noise. And they don't smell very nice! LOL I haven't noticed a big price increases that my family talks about with the foods they buy, but dang, I bought my husband Ibruprofen the other day and I did not remember it being so pricey and it was store brand.

Last edited:
This morning I did a timesaver from RWH Back, Biceps, and Shoulders which had 2 sets and no Finishers. That was 38 minutes and 159 calories burned. My average heart rate was 116 and maximum heart rate was 159. Then I did JS One Mile of Motivation for 15 minutes and 108 calories burned. Average heart rate with that was 134 and maximum heart rate was 163.

Judy, sounds like you had a full weekend. Good job with the steps at work and upper body workout at the gym. I preordered the new workouts, but I have no plans to do the full program like I did with STS original. I will pick and choose the workouts that I want to do.

Valerie, I have noticed some of the medication shortages, but I have been able to find what I need. I see a lot more store brands that regular brands on the shelves.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner high energy step, KCM Trim Down, and Raw Stretch. I buy the same kind of eggs and they have always been more expensive. Now they are about a dollar more per dozen. After I got used to the eggs from my friend’s farm I couldn’t go back to the pale tasteless industrial farm eggs.

Cathy, nice job with Pyramid Pump Upper Body and Step Moves. I hope that your timing works out for shopping. The incoming weather doesn’t look good.

Have a good day everyone.

we are still plugging along. he is better but still coughing. I definitely dodged this virus and I'm happy I did. both of us sick at once would be difficult. I did 30 on the spin bike yesterday. am sleeping a little better again. there is no explanation for good nights vs bad ones. not sure what I'll do today. still raining. Blechh. depressing.
the short shelf stock is a constant at Rite aid. worse than usual now. most of the time they have one of an item on the shelf. this time most of the shelf was empty. I've tried CVS but it's inside the Target and if there is one store I loathe, it's Target. CVS has terrible selection, no employees, good luck finding anything. products are spread out over a huge area in no sensible order. this area is dominated by Rite aid. It really is the choice. I'm fine with store brands but they were gone too. cosmetics are always filled to the brim, but medical and dental products are always low to sold out. there was a smaller drug chain here, but rite aid bought them and now they're out of everything too.

a lot of food prices have gone up. I'm not a huge fan of eggs but I use some. I hate the smell of cooked eggs especially hard boiled. So a dozen every 2 months mainly baking or cooking. our next door neighbor sometimes has chickens and had a rooster for a while. they can be noisy. lately he had turkeys. he has pigs and sheep too. we are all on 5 acres, so they are a long way away. we seldom hear a thing and have never smelled anything. His turkeys get loose from their pen sometimes. I spent a few hours last year hazing them back into his yard. they dont hurt anything but they are safer if kept in a fenced pen. he's a nice guy, no complaints.

later this afternoon I did 30 on the spin bike and a premix for ch,ba,sh from x train. for 30 min.

Last edited:
I had a lot of interruptions this morning with people at the door twice. I had to call my bank to check on a text message I got saying it was my bank and they were verifying purchases. No way was I just going through the text message numbers. Anyway, it is all clear there thankfully. I finally did get the workout in. I did CDorner All Standing Cardio and Weights, 49 minutes, heart rate 118/153, 211 calories, 1,877 steps. No real rests, it just goes from weight segment which was usually upper and lower at the same time for several moves then a short cardio burst ending with standing abs for the final strength grouping. It required various dumbbells and one firewalker type band. I then did CDorner 30-minute mobility flow to warm up, activate, and rejuvenate, 28 minutes, 52 calories, heart rate 83/99.Total time was 77 minutes, 263 calories, 2,021 steps.

Cathy, Nice work on Pyramid Pump Upper Body yesterday and Step Moves today. Too many chickens cand really smell bad. I had a friend when I was a teenager whose family got free rent to live in the house and take care of the chicken farm. I could hardly stand the smell when we drove up there. Odd though that I had an aunt and uncle that had a building with lots of chickens and pens of baby chicks and I do not remember a smell there. I think it was cleaner in their facility.

Carolyn, nice work with the Ripped with Hiit Back, Biceps, and shoulders timesaver mix and One Mile to Motivation JS. My parents always seemed to manage to get fresh eggs from someone with chickens. When in Nebraska with farm family we always had them. My daughter had chickens for a while, but they finally quit raising them. A few times something managed to catch some of them. Also, they had some cows and bees. I think it was just getting to be too much work taking care of all of it and a big garden along with work and chores, weddings and school activities. I wouldn't eat the eggs if I had to purchase the cheap pale ones. My husband might.

Valerie, around here if there is a CVS on the corner there is a Walgreens across the street almost everywhere. If I can find a smaller pharmacy I use it, but generally stay away from the drug stores. I get my perscription sent to my house or when I had surgery, we went through drive up. I get cold meds and cough items from Amazon or Walmart. I did find a small local pharmacy in town. If I can switch I will as I have always found them to be kinder, and more helpful. The one I used to go to before we moved, I was able to just walk in and get a flu shot or other shot and no waiting. Usually, I will have an omelet or scramble the egg with some veggies and wrap in an almond flour tortilla. I do not eat them often. But for baking and my husband I use quite a lot. Weekends he will have a couple of full breakfasts with sausage, eggs, and hashbrowns.
Turkeys are funny creatures. They used to come over our fence in England and would chase me all over when I was 9. My Dad found it funny that I was scared. He shoos them away and they would take off.

Last edited:
Just did Bun Burners Barre and Ball. One of those that seems fairly innocent, but hits you the next day. Standing section, then Barre and finishes with ball. First time using my new bars for barre and I really prefer then to my tower. My tower, while holding weights is great, but when using it as a barre, it has a fair amount of movement. The new bars don't move at all and the size is much better for my hand. The ice storm hasn't reached us yet, but pretty much everything preemptively closed last night, and I got an alert from the library a bit ago. Which probably solves the problem of my hold that would have vanished from the shelf by Friday. Just checked radar we are sitting in a weird area that's getting nothing, while being surrounded by it, but it'll get here.

Valerie I'm glad your husband is improving. I hate coughs, when I get one it lasts for weeks. Has for as long as I can remember. But, masking solved that problem as I haven't had even a slight cold the last three years. Glad you are sleeping better. Nice job on the spin bike. When I was growing up, there were four locally owned pharmacies in town, now it's just Meijer, Walmart a CVS and one other chain.

Carolyn great job with RWH Back, Biceps, and Shoulders and One Mile of Motivation.

Diane Sue nice job with All Standing Cardio and Weights and Mobility workouts after all your interruptions. This far into winter with the occasional warm day comes the knowledge that the coop next door really needs to get cleaned out. Years ago I helped clean coops out a couple times and it is really a horrible job.

Was watching the video yesterday for the new door/band or tube holder. STS uses wall ones for some workouts. I dug out the one I had gotten with my tubing to use over the top of the door and while not as kind to my band as the new one would be, it actually works fine along the inside of the door, and at the bottom. Years ago, they never talked about it as anything but useful for doing chest work from the top position.

Yesterday I did a 45 minute Peloton ride and 2 of the new Peloton Yin Yoga classes. The yoga was good. Similar to Travis Eliot's Yin, but fewer poses per class with the poses being held longer. The 45 minute class had 7 poses and the 20 minute class had 3. We have an ice storm warning for this afternoon. I'm hoping the power doesn't go out but at least we have a generator now if it does.

Valerie-I'm glad your husband is improving and that you haven't gotten sick.

Diane Sue-Great job with the CDorner workouts, KCM Trim Down and Raw Athletic Stretch. We only get organic, cage free eggs too. Fresh Thyme seems to have the best price for them around here.

Cathy-Great job with Pyramid Pump Upper Body, Step Moves and Bun Burners Barre and Ball.

Carolyn-Great job with the RWH Back, Biceps, and Shoulders premix and JS One Mile of Motivation.

its as if each p[harmacy chain stakes out a geographic area so they are the only store, with several outlets, in an area. Walgreens are a drive. I transferred prescriptions to costco and have been happy with them. I used rite aid before but they kept making big mistakes. another person using the store had the same name nobody at rite aid did anything so I finally started using my birthdate. then they filled an rx wrong. wrong drug with a slightly similar name. I didn't notice until I pulled away from the drive thru. they apologized all over the place and filled it properly but that was it. I dont use Walmart for anything. QFC has a rx but always long lines. costco does a much better more efficient job and has great employees. I use them for some groceries, rx, and tires. its close and convenient.

most of us will have crummy weather the next few days. we got a tiny bit of snow but getting really cold thru friday. hard on spring plants. nothing like many of you will suffer thru.

the turkeys were so skinny! nothing like the great big tom turkeys with huge feathers. they didnt look like they would taste good. I dont care much about the flavor of eggs. cant get past the smell. we are having them for lunch today so I "dose" mine with mushrooms, broccoli and hot sauce.

This morning I did RWH Low Impact HiiT One for 28 minutes and 215 calories burned. My average heart rate was 140 and maximum heart rate was 172. I’m sore from yesterday’s upper body workout.

I don’t eat a lot of eggs, but when I do I want them to be good. I usually have an egg white omelet with vegetables or oatmeal during the week. Sunday mornings we will have scrambled eggs or a frittata for breakfast.

Valerie, great job with 30 minutes on the elliptical and XTrain Chest, Back, and Shoulders premix. Our drugstore is Walgreen. We used Rite-Aid until Walgreen bought them out several years ago. I don’t like CVS but that might be because it’s not as familiar to me.

Valerie, I just saw your new post. Clark Howard, consumer finance person, always recommends Costco for prescriptions. I know many people who use them.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Cardio and Weights and Mobility flow. You managed to get a good workout even with the interruptions.

Cathy, great job with Bun Burners Barre and Ball.

Judy, nice job with 45 minutes of Peloton rides and the Peloton Yin Yoga. The yoga sounds like a nice addition for them. It’s good that you have a generator now for emergencies.

Have a great day everyone.

This morning I did CDorner To The Beat Cardio Mashup 42 minutes, heart rate 118/168, 4,163 steps. I then did CDorner 5000 step low impact cardio, only 15 minutes of it to add on, 96 calories, heart rate 144/163, 1,398 steps. (not sure how that would come to 5000 even if I did all) I finished with her Relaxing Flow Mobility /bonus neck and shoulder, skipping the wrist work. It hurts to turn the hands back facing myself and my wrists are achy right now. This was 27 minutes, 54 calories, heart rate 83/108. Total time was 84 minutes, 400 calories, 5,666 steps.

Carolyn I have been more than happy with costco. it's smooth and efficient, rx pricing is good. lines are minimal. their whole rx department has great prices on products they have, but not the wide selection of items you would get in a regular pharmacy. I generally know what they have, usually in a much bigger package and at a vastly better price than chain pharmacies. I get my immunizations there too. the pharmacy techs are well trained and very sharp. the same people tend to work there for years so they know what they're doing. their phone system works great. costco treats employees well so they keep their staff. so thats my endorsement of Costco. if its convenient for you, its a great choice. I called my docs office for a rx renewal and 2 hours later I had a text from costco saying ready for pickup. this was for medicated shampoo, not even something urgent. Costco started here in the seattle area. Kirkland is a community near here, the name of their house product line. I definitely don't do all my shopping there but even for us, its worth it. we live 10 min away.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.