Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/14

cathy I like to look "nice", pandemic or not. I thought I looked better with brown hair. most of my hair was still brown, until the last year. it looks like it changed abruptly. I'm hoping for a "good" silver gray and this is the only way to find out what I got in the "great hair lottery'. can tint it if its not a nice color but the skunk line was becoming too stark.
I have this itchiness issue that is not new but seems more intense lately. might just be winter dry skin from low humidity from indoor heat, but won't know until I change up the process. I might need to do the highlight process again but nothing that's monthly maintenance. I will get to the gray hair/brown ponytail spot too.

Today I checked Cathe's new live workout and will maybe do it tomorrow as I could use some lower and abs. It was not up yet. I did CDonner #77 Int/Adv fast workout. 69 minutes (64 actual as I was fighting with fitbit to get it above 98 heart rate) 106/139(139 was a short blip o the graph), 6,361 steps. I finally gave up and kept going and toward the last 20 minutes are saw my heart rate moving up. Maybe if I did another one now(NOT) my heart rate would be better. I liked this workout. A bit more choreography, but not hard to get. I need to go to youtube on my computer and get some of the workouts mentioned here.
Our snow seems to have stopped and it is in the 20's with sunshine today. I went out with Gertie though and the ice and snow melting off the roof is making a big wet patch over the already ice. I tried to see if the ice would scoop up, but it at this point is about an inch thick frozen to the pavement spot that will only get bigger. My box of Raspberry chocolate RX bars came today. These are my favorite even above the maple sea salt ones. Sprouts had them for awhile and they disappeared. They showed up when I was looking at Whole Foods and Amazon last week so I ordered a whole box from Amazon.

Valerie, I think it is human nature for many to put off things that should be planned for till a later date and they never get around to doing and preparing for things that could happen. I don't know why they don't think about the people and consequences they could cause. I had plenty of stock in meal items, fish and chicken and potatoes. The things I ran out of was berries, fruits, and vegetables. I do not usually purchase much in the frozen category. Every once in awhile I do and then I end up throwing it out because it does not get used. I am sure you have plenty of fresh garden stuff frozen for eating. I have a bunch of frozen corn because I made a corn and black bean Mexican dish that could be served cold for a funeral a few months ago. It is just sitting here. Anyway, I would not starve, but having specific health conscious food for myself that I normally eat ran out. I made a pot of soup and added super greens to it rather than my usual kale and ended up using peanut butter instead of almond or seed and nut butter without berries. I did have to eat one small carton of Chobani vanilla yogurt sweetened when normally I use organic plain or cashewgurt. I just have found myself peeking in the refrigerator and cupboard trying to find something that sounds tasty. I am not a huge peanut butter fan and too much leaves me with mouth sores.
My husband takes the snow shovel, a flat shovel, extra jackets, and we put blankets in the car. He has tools and a tire pump he carries with him all of the time. I stay home, but there are people that have to go out to work, or get medical care so that is different. My husband said there were quite a few people on the highway last night and it made it rough because it meant more braking and maneuvering, where if they kept moving they would be better off.

Carolyn, that is good that you are outside the area getting this bad weather. A lot of times we are lucky and it misses us, but definitely not this time. That CDonner workout is on YouTube. I imagine it may be on Amazon somewhere because she was mentioning her products on Amazon. I was going to see if Amazon has some of her videos. I see she has some mobility workouts, and weight workout. Pretty much everything. The two I did were not high impact. Today's had one spot jumping onto the step, but she said you did not need to. She did show modifiers, but I really did not need to modify. She has some 80's music workouts and a disco workout I want to look at. I hope someone buys soon. :)

Cathy, I did not get milk that I ordered from Whole Foods, but I did get chocolate milk for my husband and thankfully a nutpod creamer for me. I was using a bit of milk which I do not care for. I bet the grocery stores will be busy this weekend as this starts to melt. I did not feel like that Boxing Hiit felt much like a Hiit workout. I liked it though.

Hi Everyone,

Tuesday I did the Strong & Lean Intervals premix from KCM's Strong & Lean DVD. I like the strength work but I didn't like the kickboxing as much as I do Cathe's. Yesterday I did a 60 minute Peloton Power Zone ride and 30 minutes of restorative/yin type yoga. I was loosely following a Peloton restorative yoga class and added a few yin poses. Today I worked 6 hours at HD and I got quite a bit of exercise. We got about 9 inches of snow Monday night into Tuesday. The roads were much better today but it looks like we got another inch or two of snow since I got home.

Diane Sue-I had to look up the Spark. That's a really cute car. Nice job with the CDorner workouts. I've never tried one of hers.

Carolyn-I'm glad your medication worked better yesterday. I hope that continues. Great job with Rev’d Up Rumble.

Valerie-Good luck with transitioning to gray. That's something that I've been planning on but haven't quite got there yet. I like the idea of using highlights to help. I'm getting tired of having my hair colored too.

Cathy-Nice job with Boxing Hiit Express.

Hi to Deb & Lori,

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live PHA Supersets. A great total body workout. Sorry I have been MIA. A tough week last week. John had a typical reaction ( chills, achy, etc) to his 2nd vaccine, but that did not last long. He then had pain in his lower right side, which he immediately knew was a kidney stone. I took him to the ER Friday morning around 5 am. They did a CT scan, confirmed it was a stone, gave him fluids and pain meds. We went home, hoping it would pass. He got a little better, but Saturday night into Sunday he was in real dire pain. Back to the ER Sunday morning, again at 5 am. Luckily the same DR was there, and he consulted with the on-call Urologist who advised him to call his office first thing Monday am to get in for a procedure to remove the stone. That was done, and now he is just hanging out, to heal etc. He has a follow up on Thursday.

Valerie, that is a lot of snow for your area! My SIL who lives in Seattle got some, but not as much as you. We got a storm a few days about, about 8 inches, not so bad for here. John could not do the snow blowing, and I am not one to use that thing, one of our neighbors did our walks, ( we didn;t even ask him but he must have seen me doing the minimum to make sure the mailman could get to our porch, and figured something was up). Nice people! I have noticed some itching too after getting my hair dyed. There are a couple of brands that can be used for people that have this problem. I think they are a little more expensive, but worth it. I may ask the person that does mine to start stocking it for me.

Carolyn, nice job on the workouts this week! Hope you are able to get a different BP med.

Cathy, good job on the workouts. Not sure what happened to your arm, but glad it is better! That is a great offer that Nick got. I know it is farther than what you would like.

Judy, nice job on the Peloton ride, Turbobarre and the KCM workout!

Diane Sue, glad you were able to get the heating situation fixed.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

This morning I did LIS Lower Body Trisets for 39 minutes and 186 calories burned. My average heart rate was 119 and maximum heart rate was 151.

Judy, nice job with Strong and Lean Intervals, Peloton Power Ride, and restorative yoga. I finally bought a yoga bolster to use with restorative practice. I’ve used pillows and blankets, but the bolster is great for holding poses comfortably.

Deb, I’m so sorry that your husband had the health problems. That’s wonderful that he was able to get the necessary treatment in a timely manner.

Valerie, I totally understand your husband’s efforts to work to overcome his genes for health issues. I have done the same thing most of my adult life. Health and wellness are huge motivators for me. My family could care less.

Hello to Diane Sue, Cathy, and Lori.

last night I did 30 on the elliptical at level 10 with the last 5 minutes at 11. that's noticeably tougher. then did curls, push ups, dips, tricep push ups, and abs from x train. then did my modified pull ups, 4 of them. lowering myself slowly and then going up works best to activate my back muscles. I will get this!

Deb that is rough! painful process especially if the stone hangs around. hope he is feeling back to normal soon. we tend to get more snow that most areas and it was true again this time. the geography here makes for a pretty big range of snowfall totals. one area will get dusted and others hammered. we have never bought a snow blower. we haul out the shovels since its a good workout.
I knew there were alternate color products to try, but I suddenly felt I was "done" with it. Cathy seems to have gotten to the same point. I will see how I feel long term. I can always change up things if I dont like the shade that grows in. I didn't like the mousey brown/gray but now that I seem to have progressed to gray/ silver ... I will see how it looks. I see many people with fabulous looking gray/silver/white hair so maybe I will be lucky.

carolyn yes we have dealt with DHs genetic tendencies. everyone has high BP in his family. he does all the "non medical measures" that none of them do, but still needs a meds. took a lot of tweaking... drugs, time of day and amounts to get it right.

Diane sue, it is indeed human nature to put off necessary things that are inconvenient. sort of out of sight, out of mind approach.. can be an expensive lesson. smart to carry extras "just in case". depending on season and where we are going, we have hat, gloves,tools, shovel, sleeping bag, water, extra food, first aid etc in all cars. chainsaw sometimes. we've needed things ourselves and have helped others out. its no big deal to be prepared. you just have to do it. DH ( gets a big atta'boy for that) is smart to have things with him. cousin just bought a new car without a spare tire. REALLY? he says call AAA. I would never, ever(!!!) buy a car without a spare/jack. and know how to use them! we have had flat tires ( guessing 30 times at least) over the years and often in places AAA would not go to, assuming there is cell phone service... even when I traveled for business I carried extra clothes. down jacket, hat, gloves, flat shoes. stuffed in the bottom of my business case. used them more than one time. unfamiliar areas in a rental car and know no one at all..... what could possibly go wrong?:oops:

I know not everyone cooks meals at home all the time, but living there and not having any food on hand? that's crazy.

Last edited:
Our internet went out yesterday morning and has been on and off every few minutes since. Chat yesterday afternoon, got us an hour, and then it was on and off again. Tried another chat this morning and that time he said we just need a new router. So, that comes sometime Monday. DH took yesterday afternoon off since he couldn't do much work. This morning I tried to explain to him that he might be able to run his work computer through the hotspot on his work cell, but he has no ability to grasp tech stuff beyond how to use his computer. This after I put our computer on my hotspot this morning, so he could pay a bill. I have a small data plan though as the boys and I are almost always on wifi.

Yesterday I did STS Disk 18 which is Back and Biceps. Backed off on the barbell curls this time and found a weight that was very challenging and was 6 lbs less than what it told me to use that time! Definitely a 1RM that was really off. Today I just did Stretch Max with the band, as I'd worked out on my normal rest day and my back wasn't real happy with yesterday.

Diane Sue I great job on the workout! I agree that the Boxing Hiit Express, while good, really doesn't feel like a Hiit workout. I do want to try the one Cathe did this week, but not till after STS. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

Judy good job with the workouts! We didn't get that additional snow yesterday, which I was fine with, just flurries. I went to Okemos shopping and all the roads were completely clear even ours which surprised me as I'd expected drifting still as light as that snow earlier in the week was.

Lori so sorry to hear about your husband's kidney stone. I've never had them, but both my Dad and sister have. She had hers while pregnant and they misdiagnosed as preterm labor! She had a baby and a kidney stone within 24 hours and said that the birth, with no drugs, was definitely the better of the two.

Valerie great job rocking that elliptical! I agree that help along the road isn't always available. Especially now that people have cell phones and just assume you'll call for help. I know that out where I live someone would stop to help, in the upper peninsula, it's likely to find help, but on the highways here? Forget it. I had an alternator die years ago getting onto a highway. Freezing cold and would have been more than a mile to walk for help. Luckily I had a tracphone and was able to call to get a wrecker an for DH to come get me and just leave the car to be towed. I was there for at least 1 1/2 hours. Was not close to home, and in that time not a single person stopped, and not a single cop ever passed. Without the phone I'd have been walking.

Damn just got a message about data. Dropped 17% today. Gotta go.

Yesterday was a busy day. I got in a workout and grandchildren came. We went outside and spent a couple of hours shoveling and me digging up chunks of ice that I could get loose. It was still an ice slick out there. They had fun stacking up ice chunks and snow and sliding down it. I got an extra workout out of this as Fitbit picked up on it. Sore neck and shoulders last night though. I was pretty stiff this morning and low back is sore. I enjoyed the grandchildren as we had more fun time rather than school. They spent the night because their mother got stuck and could not get out of her neighborhood. A neighbor went out and scooped around her tires and she was able to come and get them this morning
Yesterdat was Cathe Live Lower Body Core Sweat # 335, 63 minutes(54 actual) heart rate 98/148, 152 calories, 1,769 steps.
Add from outside work Sport 51 minutes, 190 calories, heart rate 105/125, 3,831 steps and Walk 31 minutes, 114 calories, heart rate 103/115, 2,451 steps. I know we were outside longer than that, but that is what Fitbit picked up and I couldn't help but put it down.
Today I just did a 20 minute quick mobility workout with CDornerfitness.com which was much needed. I have cleaned up and spent some time digging up chunks of ice. Things are melting, but I still have some ice on the walkway that I cannot get up. Mainly where water is dripping off the roof or the neighbors rain gutter. People are supposed to be here in an hour so I need to get a blanket spread in the car for Gertie so we can go out. Hopefully I have no problem.
Cathe Live Lower Body Core Sweat #335
light firewalker loop band, mat, dumbbells 10,12,15lbs and a couple of exercises she mentions you could use 20#
8 minute warm up
cardio jacks with loop band and side to side steps
lunges right/deadlifts/lunges left deadlifts 15# dbs
lateral walks 10's 4 and 4 steps
mat and gliding discs obliques feet on gliding discs sit ups/ pull feet in and out
diagonal lunges 4 and 4, 4 and 4 12# dbs
gliding discs plank out and unders
loop band side step walk around mat
single dead lift 15# db
side to side leaning lunge 15# db passing from hand to hand
sit ups arms out and up oblique twist feet on discs
forward leaning lunge 15# db lunge tap
seated ab side slide out hand on disc
gliding disc side slide out 12 reps 15# db singles and doubles
gliding disc slide back lunge 16 reps 10# dbs
side to side mountain climbers on discs
loop band jacks/ touch down/ angled
Calf Raises 30,25,15 reps 15# dbs
cross back lunge gliding discs 12# db 12 reps right then 12 left
squat thrust gliding discs moving into moguls (modifier alternating squats with reverse lunge)
warrior lunge gliding disc
abs firewalker loop band raise legs up and down while open and close
plank loop band step out out in in leg lift pulse

I’m taking a rest day today. I had to go to the grocery store and I did that at 8:30. They weren’t many people there at that time which is what I was hoping.

Valerie, great progress with the elliptical levels and your assisted pull ups! I’m not one of those people who would be caught with no food in the house. It might not be what I want, but there will always be something to cook.

Cathy, great job with STS disc 18. Dealing with an internet outage must have been very frustrating for your husband. I think about that often with people so dependent on the internet for work and school.

Diane Sue, great job with Live Lower Body Core Sweat and the CDorner mobility workout. I’m glad that you had some fun time with your grandkids.

Hello to Deb, Judy, and Lori.

Did Metabolic total body yesterday. I've been working out regularly but that still felt hard to me. I didn't even use cathe's weights for the whole thing.
this morning it isn't raining so we went on a walk/ hike in a nearby park. its a few miles with up and downhill and close to salt water so no snow or ice. an hour, 3-4 miles. will try to something else later this afternoon if I have a chance.

Cathy that is so right! everyone assumes you've called for help, so no one stops. I call and report things anyway, even if the SP already knows. I decided not to be a "doesn't want to get involved" person. so what if I repeat what they already knew.

I only know what I've heard about kidney stones and it was a totally unpleasant experience.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.