Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/11/2024

This morning I decided to do Jabs and Abs. Hadn't done it before and didn't love it. Not my idea of boxing or kickboxing as there were a lot of what I'd describe as cardio drills with gloves on. So, I stopped after about 30 minutes and did STS 2 Standing Metabolic Core. DH hasn't had any more pain, knock on wood.

Valerie that's great that you got in a 2 hour park. Dogs definitely change the speed of walking though a lot depends on the breed. Any dog with a bit of hunting blood in them will want to follow every smell. Your therapy is moving along really well and your progress is excellent. If I was in the market for a new car I'd go with a gas hybrid. We also drive to much distance to make electric practical. For people who live and work in cities they are a good option.

Carolyn I hope your battery issue is easily sorted out.

Diane Sue nice job with KCM Cardio Fit workout #1 boxing and lower body, KCM Boxfit #1 and mobility workouts. What a pain your back wiper issue was. My car doesn't have a back wiper, and the engineering is amazing, because unless the car is sitting still rain doesn't land on the back window. A torrential downpour I believe does, but I avoid driving it that kind of rain as much as possible, so it has rarely ever happens. But it fascinates me as to how that is possible. LOL

Hi Judy.

This morning I did 20 minutes of yoga.

Cathy, nice job with Jabs on Abs and STS Standing Metabolic Core. My battery issue is solved but I still need to find time to have the car serviced. The battery is not that old, but I realized that I hadn’t started the car in a week.

Valerie, nice job with the neighborhood walk and therapy exercises.

Diane Sue, great job with KCM’s Cardio Fit workout one, Box Fit, and CDorner stretch.

Hello to Judy.

our friends have this very difficult dog. he's a heeler, fairly young and nice looking, but has some sort of personality disorder. he bites people! anything that surprises him or really for any reason, he might bite. they muzzle him a lot. weve known them and spent many hours with the dog around us. they stayed with us in our MT house for a week. yesterday was the first time I touched that dog, and it was because he put his paws on my knee. normally you would reach down and ear scratch etc but not with him. he's on some antipsychotic meds but if it were my dog he'd be dead long ago. I love animals but too many un housed dogs and kitties in the world with predictable behavior. they are very nice people and trying to train/teach him but he's unpredictable. they don't hide it and I think the husband would have put the dog down long ago. I laughed it off and said "he was just using my knee as a step up to my throat" but I was only half kidding. so it took us longer to walk the normal route we take. they are good natured about dealing with their problem dog and we are too, just careful.
today I walked our yard for a half an hour and did all my therapy work. last PT for a while tomorrow.

Carolyn a battery should not go dead in a week. did you maybe leave a door or tailgate not closed completely so maybe a light was on? it doesnt take much, says someone speaking from experience.

Today I did Raw Stretch and Tone #2, 17 minutes, 86 calories, heart rate 122/150, 375 steps. This used 5# first time through then 2# dumbbells going through stretches with arm movements. I then did CDorner Soothing Mobility Flow 28 minutes, 38 calories. Total time 45 minutes, 114 calories. This is normally a rest day. we have light snow here right now.

Cathy, nice work on the first 30 minutes of Jabs and Abs and Metabolic Core. I am never all that happy with cardio that is done in drills anyway. My car is small, but it has big windows. My husband is always wanting me to get the windows tinted because he says it is like being in a fishbowl. I like it because I can see all around myself.

Carolyn, nice work on the yoga this morning. I like getting in a good stretch on my rest day, but often miss it. I stayed home today and slept in since snow was expected.

Valerie, we would never keep a dog that bites and is unpredictable. It is just too much of a risk. I would have it put to sleep over trying to drug it and fix it. We had a nephew and his wife that had a dachsund that was so unpredictable. I tried to set it's bowl of food down for it and it bit me. It was always biting people. I used to cringe when I would sit on the couch and he would stick his nose in my face. They insisted on keeping it till they had a baby and finally realized the dog had to go.
Nice work on the walk and getting in all of your therapy work today.

diane sue, I would have euthanized the dog long ago. they are older adults like us. dog is OK with their adult children but no one has kids yet. if someone has a baby that might be the end of it. he's not likeable and has snapped at his owners plenty of times. we've seen it happen. the woman has a soft heart and keeps working with the dog. I would never let this dog near my face and would never bend down near him etc. paws on my knee is too close. I was faced away, looking behind us and felt the brief contact. I am not trying to win his affection. I would never ever trust him. if eventually they need to put him down I'll bet he first bites the veterinarian who does the deed. I would be fine with someone shooting him just to avoid the risk. I guess you could say I really REALLY dont like this animal. theres no way anyone else would adopt him.

a lot of my therapy is stretching. I am enjoying it and think it is the most beneficial.

Just finished STS Disk 25 Chest and Back. First of Meso 3 and these are long workouts.

Valerie we wouldn't keep a dog like that either. My grandparents had a pure bred dachshund that everyone hated except them. Older it got the meaner it got and they way overfed it. Of course, at the point her health got so bad they agreed it was time to euthanize her she was about 14 and 40+ pounds. A weight a pure bred dachshund should never get close to! They couldn't do it, so I took her to the vet and I told them they should muzzle her. Over the years she had nipped/bit people, always people she knew and was familiar with. And I have an aunt and uncle who are over 90 and continue to get dogs they shouldn't have. Though the current one isn't a biter, it's just a herding dog living with people who can't even walk! The poor dog only gets walked a couple times a week because they pay someone. Over the years we tried second dogs twice and had to take them to the humane society because they had issues that we couldn't deal with. In both cases, I was able to give them very detailed into about the dogs. One just was incredibly needy, and wanted to kill cats, and really would be fine in a home with no other animals and someone who wanted a needy dog. The other they actually said they would try to place as a guard dog. Though he, too, could probably have done fine in certain settings. The last dog we had was such a good dog tempered dog, but I'm just not really a dog person and my husband didn't push getting another one.

Carolyn great job with your yoga workout.

Diane Sue nice job with Raw Stretch and Tone #2, and mobility workout.

Hi Judy.

they cant even get shots at the vet like normal dog owners because the dog goes crazy. they pay for appts just to get the dog used to a particular veterinarian. like I said, this is way beyond what I would tolerate. there are certainly situations where even a well trained dog might lose control and snap at someone but this is a daily constant issue for them. they are such nice well educated people I don't know why they live with this. there are many good natured dogs in need of homes. this guy has long outlived his "use by" date. he is fairly young ( 3-4)yet so they are stuck with him unless they opt to do what is needed. cathy we see so many people on the walking/biking trail with dogs that are untrained and completely out of control. I always wonder what they were thinking when they decided to get a dog. did they think he would train himself?

Today I did LiTE Rev’d Up Rumble which was 41 minutes and 267 calories burned. My average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate was 170. I preordered Cathe’s new Lift, Move, and Restore series.

Diane Sue, great job with Raw Stretch and Tone and CDorner Soothing Mobility Flow. Staying home out of the snow was probably a good idea.

Valerie, your neighbor’s dog sounds like a demon! It’s interesting that much of your therapy is stretching but that makes sense as you try to restore flexibility and mobility. I‘m not sure what was the problem with my car battery, but I will have it checked soon.

Cathy, great job with STS disc 25 Chest and Back.

Hello to Judy.

Today I did CDorner "Taylor Swift & Usher" Super Bowl Workout. 58 minutes, 283 calories, heart rate 131/163, 5,039 steps. This had fun music, and was different as they had brief breaks changing outfits and different guests for segments. It had Hiit, Tabata, hi/lo cardio segments ending with some abs. I then did CDorner Day 18 Chest & Shoulders mobility stretch and day 16 standing legs stretch, 23 minutes, 46 calories. Total time was 81 minutes, 329 calories. I see the new Raw work outs are up tonight. I probably will not get to one till Thursday. I was reading your posts ready to comment, but had to clean up after my dog decided to go outside and come in with mud and grass stuck in her paws and up her legs. Even on her nose. It is so wet and muddy around the fence line where plants are. I just cleaned the floors! Oh well, I have to get up early and am going to a valentines get together with my lady's group. I will come back tomorrow.

I do not know why anyone would want to hang on to a dog that bites and acts like that.

Today I did IMAX 3 combos and STS 2 Mobility 1. On our third weird cat issue, first two Chester's paw and Mopsy's ear resolved themselves, but now Mopsy has what appears to be a hematoma in his ear. Ugh. He's a big cat and managing to catch and get him to the vet would be a big endeavor. He's strong and does NOT like being contained. Sadly, most of what I've read really points towards a better outcome if a vet deals with it. Ugh

Diane Sue great job with the Super Bowl Workout (sounds fun) and mobility workout. Dogs always seem to manage to find the area you least want them to play in.

Carolyn nice job with LiTE Rev’d Up Rumble.

Hi to Valerie and Judy.

they got him as a puppy from a breeder they knew from a previous dog, so by the time his behavior problems were clear they had gotten attached to him and feel committed. I think it would be different if they had adopted him as an adult and he acted like this. sometimes one of them is ready to quit, and the other decides to work on the problem longer etc. and so it goes.
Cathy I dont envy your kitty issue. dogs can be fooled and tricked, but cats? not so fast. even a small cat. I love cats but they are hard to wrangle. our cats were pretty meek once they got to the vets office but getting one guy into the carrier was a thrash. they shot right back into the container after the vet was done.......... if only it worked like that at home.
diane sue dogs are masters at getting dirty and bringing it inside.

therapy yesterday she had me touch my toes and it's good. I need to restrict bending with any twisting or fast moves so some things are still off limits. a lot of workouts like kickboxing are not OK yet. no weights with any twisting. whatever, I'm getting better. going to ride an easy trail this morning on mt bike. still pretty cold for road riding but that's coming soon.

I didn’t work out today because I had to take my car in for service. I came back with a loaner vehicle since it will take longer than 2 hours for the service. The loaner is a 2024 model with only 1500 miles. It is so technologically advanced that I couldn’t get it out of park without a second demonstration!! I can’t believe how cars have changed.

Diane Sue, nice job with the CDorner workout and stretches. The Taylor Swift/Usher music was probably fun to work out with. It’s great dance music.

Cathy, great job with IMAX 3 combos and STS Mobility 1.

Valerie, it’s great that your therapy progress is going well.

Waving hello to Judy.

We did a ride on a new-to-us trail this morning. its partly asphalted and the rest gravel. its very flat, old railroad grade. oh so boring. it was too cold and the surface was covered with plant debris. mostly blackberries. no way could a road bike tire survive here for even 100 yards! next to a hwy with loud traffic noise. we did 8 miles and called it a morning. it could be a nice trail but needs to be asphalted and swept off so road bikes can use it. probably not in my lifetime!
this afternoon we are going to try the road bikes. its a bit cold yet, was only upper thirties this morning and probably low forties now. when I ride I grip the top bar. I'm too short to use drop down bars comfortably. this will be our regular bicycle trail ride, or half of it, to give it a test. I don't bend much on my road bike so it should be fine. if it's not, I will turn around and go back. not taking risks here. Ive been bending and picking up dropped things for 2 weeks now with zero discomfort. both trails intersect each other but the first trail we tried has been partially closed for a few years. the open section was not worth the drive.

carolyn I completely understand the new car confusion. I have barely driven our new car. DH loves it because of all the features except the one that alerts him when it thinks his eyes aren't on the road. his eyelids are saggy and that's what its detecting. he finally covered the feature with some tape. I especially dislike the touchscreen electronics and find them distracting. my old car had push buttons and dials, and my 2018 has a touchscreen but not as challenging as the 2023 car. I can drive it but I need to think carefully before I do anything. we have too many vehicles of different ages that all use different systems so its not like learning one path. the new car remembers the seat and mirror positions thopugh, so its just a single push to reset them to fit.

Saturday I worked 6 hours and Sunday I worked 8 hours. Yesterday I did a 45 minute Peloton ride and 40 minutes of Peloton Full Body strength. Today I did 25 minutes of rowing.

Cathy-Nice job with Jabs & Abs, STS 2 Standing Metabolic Core, STS Disk 25 Chest and Back and IMAX 3 combos and STS 2 Mobility 1. I’m sorry about Mopsy’s issue. I hope you can get him to the vet. Would your vet do a house call?

Carolyn-Nice job with Yoga and LiTE Rev’d Up Rumble. I know what you mean about how cars have changed. It really takes some time to get used to the new features.

Diane Sue- Nice job with Raw Stretch and Tone #2, CDorner Soothing Mobility Flow, CDorner "Taylor Swift & Usher" Super Bowl Workout, and the CDorner Stretches. The soothing mobility flow sounds relaxing and the Super Bowl workout sounds like fun.

Valerie-Your friends’ dog sounds dangerous. We would never keep a dog like that either.
Nice job with your therapy work and riding.

This morning I did JS 30 Minute Fat Blaster. That was 30 minutes, 216 calories burned, average heart rate 136, and maximum heart rate 171.

Valerie, I’m sorry that the new-to-you trail was so disappointing. Hopefully you had a better afternoon ride. Yes, this loaner car is something else. I kept getting the on screen message “Sit up. Driver‘s face can not be detected “. I found myself replying to the car with “I am sitting up!”. I like the car but I was surprised by some of the features. It’s more complicated than the last loaner vehicle that I had which was a 2022. My car is ready to be picked up now, something I will do tomorrow morning.

Judy, great job with the Peloton ride, Peloton Full Body Strength, and rowing. I think I will adjust to the features on a car that I purchased, but didn’t expect it on the loaner vehicle.

Hello to Cathy and Diane Sue.

carolyn that is a hoot!! Ours keeps telling DH to "get his eyes back on the road" when he hasn't looked anywhere else. somehow hes able to wear sunglasses without annoying the system. he put a big piece of tape over the camera because there was no way to shut it off electronically. part of the upgrade package. I haven't driven it enough to know what it will tell me. DH likes it for highway driving. it keeps a safe space between vehicles slowing or speeding up as needed when cruise is on. it pulls you back into the lane if you wander across lines. this is not so great in construction zones, so you need to ignore the efforts to keep you in the lane when the signage has you needing to be way outside of it. it has the automatic reset for seat and mirror positions for 2 people. it has the warnings if you are too close to something but its a little over protective sometimes and starts bleeping when you are not . I have no clue how the sound system works but I usually dont.

my ride yesterday was great!. rode 15 miles in 1 hr 20 min. a little longer than usual but not much. everything was fine. no sore spots this morning either. I did a total of 23 miles yesterday. the first ride was disappointing. if it were paved and brushed somewhat clear of debris, it would be fine. I now know why its not a popular trail. bike trails are costly to build and maintain so not happening anytime soon. I did stretching later on too.

Judy I dont think he bites badly but nips. 0 regardless, it's not OK for a pet to behave like that. all the training in the world doesn't help. I will never touch that dog even if muzzled. I act like hes not even there.

Last edited:
No workout today, as I got Mopsy a 9:00 appt. I knew it was going to rough getting him in the carrier. I managed to get him to follow me in the bathroom. He weighs 18 lbs! and he hates carriers. First time I tried to shove him in headfirst, was bad. I've never heard such a loud, scary yowl from a cat and he turned on me and came flying out. Then he ended up in the sink and hunkered down. Got him out of there and he had his nose to the door and it's a small bathroom. Managed to start at his tail and work forward until I could slam the door in his face. Wow was he mad and I got to hear all about it. Once I started driving though he quieted down. Turns out he has ear mites and it was self inflicted. He has big ears and all the area you can easily see looks fine. They cleared his ears out really well, gave me drops, and the vet stuck a needle in and drained all the blood out of the hematoma. Very good chance it'll fill back in. But, while the vet didn't tell me a price range, actually putting in a drain tube, which is more likely to be successful, is a lot more costly. Googling told me low end $1000, though not where in the country the number came from. Today was only $100. Derek and I will be checking all ears to see if anyone else needs to be cleaned up and started on drops.

Carolyn that's hysterical about your car! At 4'9" I'd be hearing that constantly! My car has a screen, but it's controlled by a nob and buttons, I can reach with my right hand between the seats. I can do it by touch without looking down. Screen isn't touch. OTOH Derek's 2009 Prius has a touch screen. My car has few bells and whistles which is okay with me. Nice job with JS 30 Minute Fat Blaster.

Valerie sorry that your first ride had issues. Glad the second one went better. Yay on toe touching, great progress. Vet tech told me this morning that they get a lot of cancellations for cat appointments because the owners cat catch them.

Judy great job with the Peloton workouts. Downside of being in the boonies is none of the house call vets come out this far.

Hi Diane Sue.

Today was a rest day. I felt like I was getting the flu last night. I had a headache and chills and my stomach was bothering me. I felt sore and tired this morning so I rested most of the day. I am feeling quite a bit better now.

Carolyn-Great job with JS 30 Minute Fat Blaster. Your loaner car does sound like something else. My husband has a 2022 and we don’t get messages like that.

Valerie-Great job with your rides. I’m glad the second one went so well. That is interesting about the new car features.

Cathy-I’m glad you were able to get Mopsy to the vet. I hope the drops help with the ear mites.

Hi to Diane Sue

too funny cathy! I remember our kitty (Puss) who did not take kindly to being put in the carrier. what a project that was! it got to require 2 people and backing him into it quickly before he figured out what we were up to. he was surprisingly cooperative once we got to the clinic. I used to leave the carrier on the floor with the door open for a week ahead of time, thinking he would think it wasnt a threat.. that worked once. I can imagine how long an ear tube would last. seconds? minutes? even our little mild mannered cat ( also named Puss) put up with an elizabethan collar for a while after healing from an abscess removal, but the wound must have started to itch. he managed to get to the stitches and pull them out anyway. I had to take him back for staples. and another bout with the collar. you will have enough trouble capturing him just for the ear drops. cats are smart that way.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.