Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/30

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

No workout yesterday, but I did do a 4 hour agility workshop, and made almost 11,000 steps. :)

Valerie, taking the step to Montana sounds like a good plan. Especially now that you are getting those step workouts down. Do I remember you buying some type of rowing machine? was that for the Montana house? I like the risers you posted the link for....you can use them for both regular and incline?

Diane Sue, that KCM workout seemed to be perfect for how you felt. I am not surprised that Kelly has some where she focuses on not feeling 100%. Is the Gaspari Nutrition Dymatize Elite vanilla bean no longer available? I still need to try collagen for my stiff joints, but have not found any yet. I have that small Reebok step too. I find it more comfortable now for step workouts, ( the few times I ever do one), because I find myself tripping more with the length of the normal club step. The shorter one is easier to go over, end to end.

Carolyn, good job on the rotation! What is it I have heard about schools and illness? Something about them being large petri dishes...

Hi to Judy & Lori ( is everything ok?)

Take care,

Moving this over from previous thread

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did Yin Yoga from Ultimate Yogi. I think I will do a spin workout today.

Valerie-That is really cool that you were an early REI member. Great job with the step workouts! I need to try to do them more next year. I have several of Cathe's that I need to work on.

Diane Sue-Wow, that's great that your husband built your first step. I found my full size step on Craig's List a few years ago for $25. I have the small step too. I bought it last year when I started doing Basic Step.

Carolyn-The January rotation looks good. I might do part of it while waiting for the new series to arrive.

Hi to Deb & Lori!

Judy

Hi girls, I hope you don't mind me asking a question in your thread, but I noticed
Some of you use Kelly's streaming classes, and I was hoping maybe you wouldn't
Mind explaining to me the steps in getting set up with her service....I think you
Have to subscribe first thru her website, then download the Vimeo app? Thanks
If you don't mind replying...I appreciate it.

Hope everyone here had a good holiday season so far!

Good morning! I wont buy a plain step workout, but when Cathe uses a step for part of a workout, I can muddle thru now.
Yes we bought a water rowing machine. We both use but very low level cardio. totally different from hiking and riding. That riser holds the slant position securely. I could have gotten along without it but I bought along with the step for only a few dollars at the time. I never bought the bigtriangular one. It will sub for a weight Bench there. I have 5,8,10 lb weights and a band. That will be enough.

when I had bursitis, walking is what killed me. strong work on 11000 steps.

Judy I’ve had that REI number so long it’s almost like a SSN! funny to see how things have changed. It was only one run down building to start with.
This was a wonderful place to live back then . Not so much anymore. Too many people now

Not sure what to do today. I think it’s still raining although no windstorm ever developed yesterday. Tomorrow will be dry so might try s ski again.

Last edited:
This morning I did Ultimate Yogi Flexibility for 70 minutes and 208 calories burned. Average heart rate was 104 and maximum heart rate was 140. This practice has a series of active movements before going to long slow poses.

Deb, schools are definitely germ magnets. We had regular training from the health department on universal precautions, but you can’t protect against everything. Great job with those steps yesterday.

Judy, I plan to do the January rotation until the new workouts arrive, too. I really enjoy doing the Ultimate Yogi workouts when I have time.

Hello to Lori, Diane Sue, and Valerie. Have a wonderful day everyone.

yep, kids are like petri dishes!. schools especially. kids have a lot more viruses and lots of unrelated people together is ideal for spreading from person to person with close physical contact and common surfaces. door handles, counter tops, endless list. plus less than ideal sanitation issues. kids are not great at hand washing, sneezing and coughing etc. I remember being sick all the time as a kid. constant colds and flu.

Deb, I will post the links here. Dymatize and Gaspari Nutrition are two different protein powders that I used a lot. Gaspari is the really good tasting one. It has sucralose in it though. I did not used to worry about sucralose. Then the Dymatize has some sucralose and stevia along with carragenan in it. I did not know what carragenan is. As far as collagen, I generally still take the Dr Axe Ancient nutrition multi collagen twice a day mixed in my coffee. He does sell it in tablets. I don't taste much difference in my coffee with cream in it. When I am out and waiting on an order I pick up individual packets of Vital Proteins at Sprouts. The problem with it is that it is only bovine and type 2 collagen. It can still help, but it is better to have the 1 and 3 and I try to get the egg white membrane in my formula. The joint formula from Dr Mercola has the egg white membrane, astaxanthin, and frankincense (Boswellia), and hyaluronic low density (not sure what that means). I think that Egg white membrane is type 5 collagen. It is in Multi collagen as well. Right now I am having no joint pain. I am taking my supplements regularly again. It definitely makes a difference.
I heard on the news that they may have an ebola case in Nebraska. I am trying to avoid going out too much till I get my system back to normal. Unfortunately I am going to have to make a grocery trip tomorrow. I drank most of a 24 pack of bottled water.

Valerie, kids have not developed their immunity to a lot of viruses yet. I wish my daughter who teaches and her children would get the flu shot. I was relieved when I when to urgent care that it was not the flu since I had had the flu shot. Although what I has been miserable. With the step and the weights that you have you should be able to get some pretty effective workouts in.

Judy, the first step company I purchased was a real problem. I bought it in a local store, Academy Sports and Outdoor, and the rubber was coming off when I took it out of the box. I took it back and got them to take them out of the box till we found one that the rubber was stuck down on. It still only lasted about a year and I kept trying to glue it down. Finally gave up and bought the second one from Fitness Wholesale and it has lasted for many years. I am just ready for another since it is wearing now. I often looked at the full size Reebok step and thought about getting one. I see Les Mills sells one that has rounded risers on the ends.

Carolyn, a lot of the Les Mills full yoga workouts have a kind of mobile flow at the start. Like Tai Chi. I kind of like it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hi all! Can’t believe it has been over a week and a half since I posted. It has been a tough couple of weeks. I am still accepting Madeline’s passing. The past few years I have visited her in December and I am missing her. My mom passed 24 years ago in December so I am sure this is why I am feeling like I do. Then if this isn’t enough I received word that my Uncle passed Christmas Eve. His funeral was yesterday. I may have mentioned when I get in my moods I kind of become very quite. I am ready for 2019 to be a lot better. This years it seems there was always something.

Been keeping up with workouts. Couple of Cathe Live. Did her two newest. Loved Awesome Upper Body and Cathe Claus. Enjoyed them both. BBS released Trampoline Cardio on their new app so I have been all about that. :) A couple of days I was short on time so I did a quick Bellicon bounce just to do something. Christmas Eve we usually go to Chelsie’s (my son’s GF) parent’s home. But her brother had strep so at 11am it was decided everyone was coming to our house at 6pm. Yikes! Our house is usually presentable, but not to host Christmas Eve without notice. We were like the tasmadian devil getting everthing ready! We needed to get all our entertaining stuff out and ready and dust!!!! :eek: We made the best of it on short notice. We all had a blast. Played dominos and another card game my son brought.

Diane Sue....made a 5lb chicken and a pot roast in my instant pot this past week. Both were delicious and so easy. My husband was very impressed with them both. He was convinced they would not be as good as they were!!

Hope everyone is doing well. I will read last weeks post tonight to catch up.

Have a good night all!

Lori I am also sorry.. its rough when people pass on "special" days. it helps remember them but it can mess with what the holiday means to you. My mother passed on her birthday.

we are going to try ski tomorrow so wanted a short not intense workout. I did what turned out to be a nice combo. did the warm up to rock sock, which is pretty long for a warm up. then Core 1 and then the MM triceps all from the same dvd. took 35-40 min all together but felt "worked". I'm cautious about warming up shoulders and arms before, and stretching after.

This morning I did a timesaver premix from Intensity. I did Step + Low Impact HiiT for 47 minutes and 334 calories burned. My average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 169. I used no risers and kept the step movements more low impact.

Lori, I’m sorry that you are having a difficult holiday season. The loss of a loved one is especially difficult at this time of year. It’s nice that you were able to host Christmas Eve at the last minute. It sounds like it was fun.

Deb, we have no special plans for New Years Eve. We keep it simple after the big Christmas celebration.

Waving hello to Judy, Diane Sue, and Valerie.

Thank you all for your understanding. It warms my heart the support we give each other.

We have no plans for tonight. We prefer to have a quite evening at home.

Lol! Deb...we are hoping we see 10pm!!!! I just made fresh fruit frozen margaritas in our vitamix. The recipe calls for a peeled orange,lemon and lime. It is delicious. A couple of these and I will be sleeping by 10pm!

No workout this morning. Needed to be in work early. Was able to leave early, so that was nice.

Valerie...hope you were able to ski today!

Carolyn...I have never done the Intensity workoit as is. Always did a premix.

Hi to Judy and Diane Sue!

Happy New Year!!!!!

Yes! we skied. it was not perfect but pretty nice and very pretty out. 3 hrs 45 min. these are new skis, DH has new boots besides. we plan on a nice walk early tomorrow morning before the mobs wake up and get noisy.

we have no plans either. this used to be my favorite holiday, but no one does anything anymore. we know our neighbors will shoot off illegal fireworks around midnight, so its best to go to sleep earlier with ear plugs. we used to go out to dinner with friends or family, go to a cocktail lounge for some live entertainment etc.
I will have a margarita too. no vitamix but tequila will cover it for me!

Hi Everyone,

This morning I did Super Cuts and the 100 rep challenges for Triceps and Biceps. I skipped the situp/pushup combo in Super Cuts.
We don't have any plans for tonight. It's been raining all day so a good day to stay home.

Deb-Same here, it's just another day, lol! I can't remember the last time we did something special for New Year's Eve.

Valerie-Our neighbors started with the fireworks a little while ago. They went all out this year. It's legal in Michigan, from 8 am to midnight, the day before, day of, and day after a national holiday. Poor Chino is going nuts-he is terrified. I feel bad for everyone that has pets around here.

Carolyn-Great job with Intensity! That one looks pretty tough.

Lori-the margaritas sound good!

Hi to Diane Sue!

Happy New Year!

Judy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.