Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/29

Good Morning. Today I did Rock’m Sock’m Kickboxing for 48 minutes and 350 calories burned. My average heart rate was 134 and maximum heart rate was 165.

Deb, great job with the treadmill workout. The Fitbit takes some getting used to after using a Polar, but it is pretty reliable. Occasionally I notice a small lag with it showing my higher heart rate, but that doesn’t happen often.

Valerie, previewing Cardio Party again was probably a good idea. I do that sometimes when I don’t remember a workout. Cardio Party is a fun workout.

Judy, that’s a great accomplishment riding 15 days in a row. PHA 3 is fast paced and has a cardio feel. My favorite of the three is the original PHA from Strong and Sweaty.

Waving hello to Diane Sue and Lori.

Today I did Gym Style Back, Shoulders, and Biceps timesaver. My time was 38 minutes with 168 calories burned. Average heart rate was 117 and maximum heart rate was 145. I followed that with part of the timesaver from a Gym Style Chest and Tripes. That was 27 minutes and 87 calories burned. Average heart rate was 106 and maximum heart rate was 137.

A big wave to everyone and I hope that you are having a great day.

I tried cardio party yesterday. failure. it's not even a workout.... changes movements too fast. by the time I see what I was supposed to do, she's on to the next. I end up standing still... trying to see what to do and doing nothing. I can get on the elliptical at level 9 and zip right along at the same pace with arms and legs, so its not the fitness part of it, but my feet wont , not to mention my arms. No way. I must be thinking of a different workout that I did once or twice. I thought once I got to the boxing moves it might be Ok, but same thing. she keeps changing moves and I can't follow. or I get one sequence once, but she did it 3 times and is on to the next. just forget it. not in this life. there are reasons why I don't do step workouts. I'll try slowing the speed to 0.8 . I struggled for about 25 minutes, then got on the elliptical for 10 and did the Ab #2 workout. I can do the kickboxing... same move is repeated, so my brain learns the move, but the rapid fire change is not possible.

Valerie, I’m sorry that Cardio Party didn’t work out for you. Maybe it’s ICE Cardio Supersets or Strong and Sweaty Cardio Slam that you have done before. A frustrating workout is not fun.

Yesterday I did Imax 4, 46 minutes, met 5.9, 234 calories, heart rate average 129, max 187?, 4,035 steps. I think this is wrong, but that is what the Fit Bit gave me. The 187 was just a brief high point and it stayed around 155 for a high. I then did Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga Neck and Shoulder flow, 20 minutes, 56 calories, heart rate average 116, max 138. This morning I had the stress test that took 2 hours. I have my daughter and grandchildren here so have been extra busy. I am sorry I haven't been able to check in much. I got an appointment set next week for the pulmonologist. I hate seeing new doctors.

Valerie, it does take some time when she doesn't repeat the sequence enough times. I still do that a bit with I Max 4 and I think this was my 3rd or 4th time doing it. She does the 6 rounds of a move before the blasts but I sometimes find myself on the wrong side of the step and I have to watch.

Judy, I liked the Strong and Lean workouts. Sometime I will try the two together. As far as the weight portion I think I liked the Raw Strong and Lean better. I have done it multiple times. Still trying to get Raw back on the Roku. The Vimeo OTT did email me back some instructions but I have not had time to check it out. Particularly with little people watching youtube.

Deb, I think Step Sync is easier than I MAX 4. I like it better than I Max 4 myself. Then the Bonus Intermediate step is similar to Step Sync, but slowed down a bit more. It does not have a warm up.

Carolyn thanks. I was thinking the workout I did used a step, and cardio party doesnt. lost track of whatever workout it was. cardio party is fast and not hard. I am just a total moose at fast foot moves. I can do grapevines, and side step sort of. its like there is no connection between my brain and feet! I cant bounce from foot to foot, she calls shuffle. can't do it. I will look at those other two and see if one is what I was thinking of. I think that's why kickboxing works for me. repeating the move 6 or so times, then adding on to it. THAT I can do. so Revd up Rumble and Rock Sock get used regularly. watching Cardio party I thought I could. Nope.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

Valerie, I always wondered what people had to do with those big gaps left from the insert style TP holder. That turkey breast sounds pretty convenient. I wonder also if they have a similar whole turkey one. There are some workouts that are just not a "good fit". Not worth getting frustrated over.

Carolyn, what I keep doing with the FitBit is I hold and press the button to stop the workout, and remember that if I do that, all the data is no longer visible. I have to go to my phone and my FitBit displays there to get calories burned etc. I keep thinking that there is something I am doing wrong when I start or stop my workout.

Diane Sue, how did the stress test go? Was it what some of us described? When do you get the results? Unfortunately, the DVD I got for the Bonus Ab workout and the Extended stretch is the IMAX 4 one. I may have tried that intermediate bonus on STep Synch but not the Imax workout.

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

I did Revd up rumble yesterday . I can do that without getting frustrated, so yes, its the repeating/add on moves I can get. . hate defeat like that! I will try short sections added onto something I can do. I love the energy of Cardio party so maybe in small pieces I can get it eventually. I enjoyed watching it while I was on the elliptical. not going to focus on the whole workout. looked and it wasn't Cardio Slam.

you patch the hole in the drywall with a piece of wallboard and then fill in/patch over with some mud/plaster kind of thing. done ahead of wallpaper or painting. even if we'd realized it, not sure we would have bothered. the TP holder is behind the door. anything sticking out more might be a problem.

Deb they had bigger packages in the same Jennie-o green and white bags. I didn't look past the small ones. I assume some version of a whole turkey? we don't have enough family to ever need a whole turkey. this was really really easy, plus I have leftovers. I hate the defrost that takes a week. this was the last year I will be doing a big dinner. the roast is not a ridiculous amount for 2. it came with a gravy packet but I didn't make it since we are not fans of gravy. it cooks in a bag so no pan drippings at all. I like to make soup or tacos with the leftovers.

Off to do some shopping, workout this afternoon.

No workout today. I decided that my knee needed a little rest. It doesn’t really hurt, but I’m aware of it it that makes sense. I really need to get new workout shoes and I think that is my problem.

Deb, I do the same with my Fitbit at the beginning and end of a workout. If I want to look at my heart rate during a workout I just lift up my arm and the screen comes on. I record my workouts in a small notebook that I can refer back to if I want to do that.

Valerie, there’s nothing wrong with working on one segment of a workout at a time. That’s how I am approaching the Step Boss workouts. You just do what works for you.

Diane Sue, I’m glad that the stress test is behind you. I was planning to try Step Sync today, but I decided to wait until next week.

Hello to Judy and Lori.

Did Rock/Sock along with triceps muscle meltdown, and the ab workout. not a great shopping trip. didn't get anything we needed, but did return some xmas gifts that didn't work. I'm thinking the workout I'm missing might be Low impact from the ICE series.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.