Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/29

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Today I did PHA 3, , the premix that was the second half. 34 Minutes, 236 calories. I liked this one a lot better than the 1st half, mostly because there was no exercises using the slide things.

Valerie, did the wallpaper come? I don't think I will ever be able to do supermans where my hands and feet are actually off the floor.

Carolyn, Wow that is awesome that the whole family was working out! I think the risers make Supermans harder. You will have to let us know what you think once you have tried that DVD. Do you use a FitBit to record calories etc for your workouts?

Diane Sue, I am determined to do those new AB workouts, including the supermans with the risers. I don't think I will ever be able to do any "extra" moves like the swimming one or the legs in and out.

Hi to Judy & Lori

Take care,

good morning. no wallpaper here yet. there I such pressure to get things before xmas, there's a shipping slow down right after. we haven't checked tracking but expect probably Monday. lots of stuff is showing up Monday!

I don't expect those supermans will be on any of the video clips? I can't imagine how a riser would get used. I do them, I don't think I get very high off the floor but I get off and can do swimming motions, arms especially. its a move you can't see yourself doing, especially legs, so I don't know how to judge if I do them "right" ? I think even a static hold is probably effective. I never really think about them, just do them as a box to check off in a workout. I don't love or hate.

off to do a mt bike ride.
back from the ride, it was lovely out, almost 50 degrees and partly sunny. very nice for late Dec. rode for about 1 hr 45 minutes. forgot to look at mileage, 7-8 miles.

Last edited:
This morning I did Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga Hips and knees and part of the neck and shoulders before church.

Deb, I always push to do those workouts. I felt the abs 2 from Step Boss was a bit tough on the front of my shoulders where I had all of that pain. I will get used to it. It is the planks and up and down moves while in planks with the step. The second time went better so maybe I will increase some of my strength again. Those one foot off the step slide things seem a bit uncomfortable.

Valerie, the superman with the step riser just has you holding your arms out in front holding onto the riser just like a regular superman. I don't remember it in the video previews. I just remember her with the step risers for stacking. I hope your wallpaper shows up tomorrow.

Carolyn, hope you had a good day today.

diane sue, thanks for the info. I can do without using a riser so will continue doing them like that.
wallpaper came late today. I was expecting Monday, but I checked tracking and it said "delivered" and sure enough, package was on the porch. still nice tomorrow morning so will go do a walk/hike and wallpaper as soon as we get a block of time probably Tuesday when it starts raining again. . should be pretty fast for everything after the paper is up.

Today I did JS 30 Minute Fat Blaster. It was 30 minutes and 213 calories burned. Average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 153. I still have a house full of people so I’m sticking with short workouts just to make sure I get something done.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful day.

This morning I did Step Boss Step Sync mish mosh all step + double finished product. This is the finished product done 4 times. This was 65 minutes, 336 calories, met 6.0, heart rate average 128, max 153, 6,797 steps. I really felt the calorie burn was off as Cathe had 516 and 7.20 met in the workout manager and Map My Fitness had 531. Oh, well I got a lot of steps. I then did the Step Boss extended stretch lying 10 minutes, 17 calories. Total time was 75 minutes, 353 calories, 6,797 steps. So far tonight I have 10,301 steps. I doubt I get many more before bed.

Valerie, that is great that the wallpaper came. Enjoy your hike/walk tomorrow.

Carolyn, that is what I do when I am busy with family activities if I can. It just helps keep me mobile and not stiff from sitting around.

It was raining before we even got up so we bagged the hike plan and did wallpaper early got it done and then put it countertop and sink. Looks nice. Using construction cement, takes 24 hours to set so. Stopped there to minimize chance we might push anything out of place . Faucet, toilet is tomorrow after returning some. Extra pieces to Lowe’s, then just little frills like a towel ring, switch plates etc.
I did stacked upper body and the ab workout.
Now I think the main burner on my cooktop is dying! Always something!!

This morning I was finally able to try one of the new workouts. I did IMAX 4, first half only, plus bonus abs #2. Total time was 39 minutes with 233 calories burned. Average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 158. I must say that I didn’t love it, but it was okay. I might feel differently after I’ve done it a few times since I’m still learning the choreography. The abs were done on the step.

My house guests are all gone now. My daughter and son-in- in law had car problems and ended up staying a little longer than planned. They had to rent a car to drive home and one of them will need to return next week when their car is repaired. A lot of drama and stress for them since they both needed to get back.

Valerie, that’s too bad that your hike was rained out, but at least you could work on the bathroom.

Diane great job with Step Sync mishmosh and the stretch. I am going to preview the other dvds today.

Hello to Deb, Judy, and Lori.

good morning. we went shopping and bought some small things we needed to finish the job. things you don't think about change. apparently everyone is using TP roll holders that stick out from the wall now, most without the spring bar. the old standard recessed ones are hard to find. we have a hole in the wall and did not want to patch it. we think the door would bang on a stick out one anyway. we tried Lowes but ended up ordering one from amazon. sink went in this morning.
cooktop burner seemed to work yesterday but I want to decide before the last second. this burner went out once before during warranty so I'm not replacing it again. probably 20 years old.

carolyn, good for you. I don't learn choreography. I hate it and am done wasting energy trying. I had no doubts I was skipping this series.

Hi all,

Yesterday I did I-Tread Walking series, 31 minutes, 219 calories, plus the bonus abs from that DVD. There are some new and tricky moves on that Ab workout, especially using the platform. pretty good. Today I did PHA3 Upper Body premix, 34 minutes, 170 calories. I think this is the hardest PHA workout Cathe has put out. I had to modify a couple of the exercises, but the upper body premix is much more doable then the whole thing.

Valerie, Congrats on getting the wallpaper done! Like Diane Sue mentioned, don't think there is a video clip of the supermans in the Ab Stacker bonus workout. You have to hold one of the risers straight out in front of you while doing the supermans. I find it makes it even more difficult, since I have a hard time getting any real raise without holding anything. I do like using the risers to do the sit ups, when you stack them behind you etc. Assume your cooktop is not connected to an oven? Are you going to replace it?

Carolyn, it is always nice to get back to a regular routine. I want to hear what you think of PHA3.

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

This morning I did Kelly Coffey Strong and Lean weights/strong workout 1 + bonus extension 37 minutes, heart rate average 121 max 159, 897 steps met 4, 145 calories. I then did Strong and Lean workout 2 kickboxing/lean, 32 minutes, heart rate 144 average, 167 max, 200 calories, met 7.4, 3,199 steps. I finished off with Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga neck and shoulder flow, 19 minutes, heart rate 116 average, max 151, 62 calories, met 3.5. Total time was 88 minutes, 4,138 steps, 407 calories.
Strong weights this uses, a barbell me 25#, dumbbells 12# me, tubing I am not sure what Kelly is using as she has one plate on each end of the barbell.
Biceps
barbell curls 25#, hammer curls/alternating hammer curls 12# dbs, tubing standing reverse fly
Back
rows barbells 25#, plie position rows dbs 12# dbs, standing reverse fly tubing
Lower Body
squats 25# barbell, side to side lunge 12# dbs, side to side step tubing
Shoulders
overhead press/push press 25# barbell, alternating upright row 12# dbs, lateral raise front raise tubing
Triceps
barbell dips 25#, skull crusher 12# dbs, seated kickbacks tubing
Chest
bench press 25# barbell, single arm flys 12# dbs, seated fly/pec dec tubing
BONUS Extension
barbell bridges on step
knee pulls on step, lying on step get up with 1 db I used 10#
lying on step feet on the floor reverse crunch

Valerie, at least you had a productive day getting the bath done. Amazon is always good for finding the things that are not in the store. I have the old spring loaded stick out tp holder in the upstairs bath. Should change it. My other two have those us shaped toilet paper holders which do not stick out as far. I bet you are liking the new look in the bath.

Carolyn, I enjoyed Step Sync much more than I Max 4. There is some getting used to choreography. I still want to try I Max 4 with double the blasts one day when I feel energetic. But, then when I think of those squat thrusts it does not sound as good to me. That must have been upsetting to your daughter and her husband. Having unexpected expense and working out the problem is distressing.

Deb, those bonus abs on the step were tough for me because of the plank moves using the step. My shoulders were really feeling it. Hopefully my strength gets built back up some more.

bathroom is not done yet, but one big step made, the sink, faucet set up. tomorrow we think the toilet. DH has said, we only do one "plumbing thing" per day. its looking very nice. diane sue, I'm not sure what those TP holders are called officially. I call them 'recessed" since about 1/3 of the roll is inside behind the wall. the newer ones are mounted on the wall surface and therefore stick out further into the room. not a huge difference, but we already had the recessed set up and didn't consider we might need to change it. still a couple more days worth to get done. small, picky things after the toilet. Im fine with the spring loaded TP holders but I need a brushed nickel one.

Deb, its a separate cooktop. we have a wall oven off to the right. not my favorite set up but its what the house was designed for. it was built in 1990 and those downdraft / grill top cook tops were real popular then. It seemed to work fine today again, but I will not be surprised if it suddenly poops out, or the main larger burner I use mostly. I want to know what I will replace it with.

I did Revd up rumble later today. busy all day otherwise.

Carolyn, any time your vehicle fails unexpectedly its hard thing to work around. especially if you need to find a service place in an unfamiliar town, plus the back and forth to pick up and drop off.

It was seriously raining and windy here all day yesterday. diminished the "fireworks at midnight" celebration.. We actually got decent sleep, so will do toilet today. words of wisdom here, almost like a NY resolution ...... Never ever start a plumbing project when the stores are closed". Lowes is open today so we can move forward. DH is finishing up some details on the sink.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Happy New Years!! I can’t believe it’s 2020! This morning I did Step Boss PHA 3. I did a timesaver with 3 segments for 51 minutes and 327 calories burned. My average heart rate was 128 and maximum heart rate was 159. I did not do the one arm rows in plank position, which is hard on my shoulders. I did them standing instead. I also did the Bonus Lying Stretch which was 10 minutes.

Deb, I liked PHA 3, but I think it is hard. I’m glad that I decided to do only three of the four segments. I actually selected the wrong premix. I intended to do the repeat of first exercise group and one segment of group two, but I did just the opposite. It was fine in the end.

Diane Sue, I’m looking forward to Step Sync to see how I like it. When I previewed IMAX 4 it didn’t seem like something that I wanted to do from start to finish. I modified the squat thrusts.

Valerie, you are so right about car problems when you are out of town. They have a Volvo and we discovered that there is no dealership anywhere near us. Anyway, it will all work out in the end. The car is under warranty, but trying to figure out what to do was very stressful.

Hello to Judy and Lori. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Today I did a 20 minute Peloton ride with a 5 minute cool down. Today is my 15th day in a row of riding. I will try to get a strength session in this afternoon.

Deb-Great job with the workouts! PHA3 looks challenging! My favorite PHA from the DVDs is PHA2 from LiTe.

Carolyn-I'm with you, I can't believe it's 2020! Hard to believe that Y2K was 20 years ago!
I plan on trying PHA3 next week. It does look like it's harder than the other PHA workouts.

Diane Sue-Great job with the KCM workouts!. I have Strong & Lean on my list of workouts to do. I'm planning on doing a KCM strength rotation this year too. I really need to do more of the Raw workouts.

Valerie-It sounds like your bathroom is coming along nicely. Great job!

Hi to Lori!

Judy

All went Ok, and we are pretty much done unless something unexpected popped up. the toilet was a different kind of mounting bracket than any we did before, but it was MUCH easier. no nasty wax ring, or trying to align the blasted bolts vertically. setting toilets is right up there with wallpaper for anger management needed. this has a different hook up. ( Kohler) worked well, looks very nice. how excited can you get about a toilet? looks good, and works. the TP wall bracket is not here, so that is left. leaving everything empty to check for minor leaks over the next day or two but all looks good.

wow Judy that is a lot of days in a row on the bike, but its low impact compared to most other things.
I am experimenting, trying one of those direct freezer- to -oven Jennie-o turkey breasts. I wanted a "regular" one like I made for xmas, but they all disappeared from the stores quickly. Never tried one of these before. it will be way easier if it turns out well. no defrosting at all. I hadn't thought about Y2K in ages. talk about a big deal over what turned out nothing.

eta started to do cardio party and decided I needed a review so warmed up then switched to elliptical and watched it. That was best.... I am so bad at even simple footwork. 45 min

Last edited:
Good morning,

Happy New Year to all.

Yesterday I did I-Tread Walking Series, 32 minutes, 211 calories. I think I need to revisit fixing my Polar HRM. The Fitbit heart rate monitor is really erratic. When I think I am going my fastest, it shows a really low heart rate for what I am doing. Then when I slow down, the HR shows it going up. Very strange. I know I gave up on the Polar as it was doing it's "OOO" thing.

Diane Sue, nice job on the KCM and JS workouts! Is Step Sync supposed to be harder than IMAX 4? I only have the IMAX 4 DVD. I cannot do the plank moves that involve the step.

Valerie, the bathroom sounds very nice. We went for the style of TP holder that you just have to slide it on the holder, no spring loaded bar etc.

Carolyn, agree on PH#. I liked the premixes where you can do the first or the second half. The second half is much easier than the first. No sliding disks involved.

Judy, wow! 15 days in a row...that is awesome. Did you get the new DVDs"

:)
Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Deb, style changed to the "slide on" TP holders. we didn't realize until we shopped for the towel bar and ring to go with the faucet. if we'd wanted to close over the hole, we needed to do it before wallpapering. Not happening now. we found a brushed nickel one on amazon easily. its a small room, and the newer style protrudes more. I like recessed better anyway, though no strong like or dislike. we are done except for TP holder.

we had a "no defrost" turkey breast yesterday. I wanted "easy" while finishing up bathroom things yesterday. jennie-o. it was good! it was easy! I didn't even wash the roasting pan. I didn't try the gravy packet that came with it, but I don't like gravy so I cant say anything about that. simple. take out of freezer, unwrap, roast about 2.5 hours, check temp, its done. I don't know if this is available all year or not, this was the first year I noticed them. this worked out great for us. its boneless/ skinless so leftovers will be easy to use. It has some injected flavoring but I don't think any turkey doesn't nowadays. I think this same format comes in a full turkey size but I didn't look closely.

will try to do cardio party later while still fresh in my memory. its not too complicated but I get put off easily by fancy footwork.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.