Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 11/27/2022

This morning I did STS Disk 2 which is back and triceps. It was rather a mess. LOL I haven't readjusted to all the equipment changes as I use three ways to increase my weights by 1-4 lbs. Wrist weights, weighted gloves and my adjustable ankle weights if I need 2-4 lbs more. And the workout manager on that one doesn't help by having an exercise way out of order. I paused a fair amount of times and because I've been using OnDemand for the majority of my workouts instead of videos at one point I hit eject instead of pause! That was a bonus break. But, I did it and next week I'll be better prepared. Filled in all my other workouts for the month on my calendar.

Valerie in general Michigan is good about reflectors on the highways as well as lining the roads. I haven't paid attention in the lower peninsula, but I know there are several stretches in the upper peninsula that are set up with opposing rumble strips on the side and middle of the road and in white out conditions (as long as the snow isn't too deep) people up there use them to stay on the road. Because the patterns are opposite each other they sound different. So they aim to keep the right side tires on the outside rumble strip. In the moment I doubt I'd remember, but I've read comments by people who have done it on UP social media pages. I don't mind the actual driving, though I could do without going around big cities. And definitely without snow! My car is one of the ones that doesn't allow you voice on maps while using Sirius, but I've got hundreds of songs loaded on my phone and I also listen to podcasts and audio books. If Derek is with me it isn't so important that I have voice on maps as he can watch it. My kids learned young that if you are in the car in the dark, you are on eye patrol. We did the same thing when I was a kid. The more eyes watching for eyes the more likely they will be seen in time. Though deer have the amazing ability to come flying full speed out of nowhere. I'm always happy when the corn is harvested each year as it makes it so much easier to spot them.

Judy great job with Live #28 High Reps-Total Body and the Peloton rides. A lot of the people in my area have their generators permanently wired so come on automatically. But, that's also why I have to call the neighbors to tell them the powers back on because they can't easily test it. We always know because everything comes back on again. But, the permanent generators don't automatically shut off.

cathy lot of neighbors with full house generators. our neighbor across the street just bought one. he's fed up with the power outs already this year. we resisted, power outs used to get fixed faster. this small one will give us an idea of noise and convenience level. it will run a fridge/ freezer and a few other things. we'll see how it goes and reassess. we'd be able to sell it easily if we wanted to go larger. after the trial run, I don't think camping with one would be good. too loud for a campground. we've camped when other people ran them, dont want to do it.
that's our strategy, all eyes on deck. good training for your kids. early morning and early evening are the prime times for deer moving. a lot of obvious "hits" on the freeway. I can't imagine what hitting a big critter at 70 would be like. it would be hard to react. a couple we know hit a moose ( Montana) on I-90 in the dark. they were Ok but totaled their car. we've had deer come from behind, race to catch up and pass in front, instead of calmly walking across the road after we passed. That was a scary one! it happened so fast, I saw the deer on the right, yelled, but it was past the front of the car stretched so low we barely saw it. it was a gravel road with trees so we weren't going fast, lucky for all.

I use the navigation from phone. we didn't buy the electronic package for the car for the few times we would use it. they're great for cities but rural areas.... not so accurate. I never progressed past CD's for music. I dont hear much music, sure isnt much on the radio anymore. I dont know where to start. most of what I hear isn't enjoyable or interesting. if we had kids maybe we'd be up to date and find things we like.

Today I did Cardio Party for 39 minutes and 287 calories burned. My average heart rate was 136 and maximum heart rate was 177.

Judy, great job with the Peloton rides and Live High Reps Total Body. I’m glad that you found a small generator that seems right.

Cathy, great job with STS disc 2 Back and Biceps. I’m not surprised that you were sore from the first workout! It takes a little time to get your routine set before the workouts flow more smoothly.

Valerie, I wish you luck with your generator search. I lIke music, but I don’t listen to it much these days. I am pretty eclectic in my tastes and can listen to most things for a while. Christine McVeigh’s death this week made me very sad. I love Fleetwood Mac and I get nostalgic listening to their music.

Hello to Diane Sue.

Yesterday I did Raw Cardio Core Fusion, 33 minutes, heart rate 129/159, 172 calories. I forgot to check steps today. I followed this with Raw Box and Sculpt 26 minutes, 134 calories, heart rate 125/156.
This is the second time I have done Cardio Core Fusion. I like it and need to write up the moves. She goes through all of the moves and then says you can stop there (around 15 minutes) or repeat them with them. This time I used the step with 4 risers like they did. The first time I used 3. It is a high intermediate workout with the risers they use. Options are to lower risers or to up it add a weighted vest or you can pick up dumbbells for some of it. I think I will try some different variations. It works legs a lot and there is some boxing for recovery. None of the core and abs work is crunches. It has seated knee pulls, boxing, and two plank segments using the step.
Total time was 59 minutes, 306 calories. A plus today is that my neck and shoulders do not hurt at all

Today I did CDorner Low Impact High Intensity all standing, 54 minutes, heart rate 137/179, 296 calories, 6,2005 steps. I did this one not long ago and had put it in my watch later workouts since I got a great step count, calories (for me) and it being fun. Music was good, but not my favorite. I followed this with CDorner Stretch and Mobility, 30 minutes, heart rate 80/113, 53 calories, 65 steps. This is another nice stretch and relaxing I have done multiple times. Total time 84 minutes, 349 calories, 6,270 steps. I will be busy this weekend so am not sure if any workouts will happen. I wasn't sure about doing weights today. I don't want to go on the two-hour trip for the wedding sore. Riding is bad enough.

Just finished LIS Slide and Glide Cardio and Stretch. I've always found that a good solid workout. I just had to watch all the videos Cathe put on FB yesterday demonstrating the new products and now I have the "I wants!"

My car has Sirius, but it blocks the audio on my maps, so I don't use it for long trips. It also allows me to run my phone through the audio system for calls, it reads me texts, and plays the music downloaded onto my phone, audio books and podcasts. Because of trips like that I downloaded a lot of music. It's a pretty eclectic collection. 70's, 80's some country, some classic and some current stuff. I will admit to having downloaded Taylor Swifts new album the night it released. LOL and yes, having the boys around, especially the years we were driving to and from school meant that I heard a lot of the current music. The biggest issue I've had with my maps is in city construction because it doesn't always know about it.

Diane Sue nice job with Cardio Core Fusion and Box and Sculpt. Hope your drive goes smoothly.

Carolyn great job with Cardio Party.

Yesterday was an active rest day. I did yin yoga and foam rolling. We went to the "Winter Markt" in Birmingham, MI. It wasn't too cold so we got a lot of walking in and stayed for the tree lighting in the evening. Today I did Live #391, PHA Super Sets #3. That is quickly becoming one of my favorite PHAs.

Carolyn-Great job with Cardio Party. We are happy with the generator so far. It's easy to store and seems easy to set up and run. Christine McVeigh’s death made me sad too. Tango in the Night was what got me into Fleetwood Mac. That was a great album and it brings back a lot of memories of when I had just graduated from college and started working full time. Lots of nostalgia there.

Valerie-Our generator came in early and we picked it up yesterday. We might need to use it as we are currently under a high wind warning and there are a few outages around us at the moment. We have Sirius in our cars. Mine is usually on Lithium (90's) or First Wave (80's).

Cathy-Great job with STS Disk 2 and LIS Slide & Glide Cardio. I watched the videos yesterday too and the STS Bars look so good for doing dips at home, especially with the band. I need to talk myself out of this though as there is no more room in my gym for anything of that size and I already have the Fit Tower.
My musical preference is mostly 90s, 80's new wave and some from the early 00s. However, due to Peloton I've been exposed to a lot more current music and have found some that I like. Taylor Swift is pretty good.

Diane Sue-Great job with Raw Cardio Core Fusion, Box & Sculpt and CDorner Low Impact High Intensity all standing. That's good that your neck and shoulders didn't hurt. I hope you have a good trip this weekend.

Today is a rest day for me. I had planned to do a lower body workout, but my knee didn’t think that was a good idea. I made a quick trip to Farmers Market where I found great fall vegetables. I‘m going to try roasting brussel sprouts with butternut squash which was a recommendation from my favorite vendor. I was thinking about doing this anyway. She adds dried cranberries and pecans near the end and drizzles with a little maple syrup. I don’t plan to do that this time, but it sounds like a good dish to try when the family is here.

Diane Sue, great job with Raw Cardio Core Fusion, Raw Box and Sculpt, CDORNER Low Impact High Intensity, and Mobility Stretch. I’m sure that you are having a wonderful time at the wedding.

Cathy, nice job with LIS Slide and Glide and Stretch. That is one of my least favorite workouts. I don’t mind the gliding discs for a short period, but not for a full workout.

Judy, you chose good workouts for your active recovery day.

Hello to Valerie.

Reactions: WD
I always loved Fleetwood Mac. sad about christie mcvie passing. most of our music is the 70's thru the "90's. not sure I ever heard Taylor Swift. or Beyonce. didnt try to avoid them and Ive seen them on awards shows but never heard enough of their music to judge. I tried hard to like soft jazz but I don't. DH liked that and had a lot of CD's he used while working or driving. tried podcasts but it sure is hard to find good ones. I d love some ideas if you have good ones you recommend.
the only music genres that dont work are rap and country. most of my driving locally is short enough that I dont need much music and usually keep track of traffic reports, weather, and news. unfortunately a radio station I like (in the morning) devolves in the afternoon to a right wing wacko. I keep CDs loaded so I can avoid his toxic spewing. even bad music is better than that. I am the first to admit I should make more of an effort to find some new music. there must be good things mixed in with the junk just like it always is. it used to be hard to avoid music everywhere, and now it seems you have to seek it out or you dont get new things.

our recent storm threats never developed. no use for the generator yet. after the last power out I had to toss a lot of freezer items so I hope to avoid that. Judy make sure you do a trial run to check for noise and that it works and generates power.
it will take a lot of groceries for the generator cost to balance out.

yesterday I did x train core 1, therapy work, and 20 min on the spin bike. this morning we went on a not hard 90 minute hike. a friend of ours is playing in a live band tonight so we are going to go listen. no idea what it will be like. at a wine bar.

Back from the wedding. It was a beautiful setting and fun. This morning I did Raw Cycle: Sculpt, 51 minutes, 225 calories, 1,844 steps. This alternates 2 minutes seated and standing spin with a weight segment. Kelly does this with 10# dumbbells she says you can set on a table or somewhere if it works as she does not get off the bike and says if you do stand still while performing the upper body moves with the dumbbells. It had great music which I loved. I used 8# for the lateral raise and 10's for most of the rest.
I also did Raw Stretch finisher and the first part of CDorner Neck and back stretch, 27 minutes, 48 calories. Total time 77 minutes, 273 calories.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.