Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/24

we've seen wolves many times but they aren't as easy to see as 10-12 years ago. the population soared after introduction and they were not being hunted anywhere so were pretty easy to see. people follow them with radio collars and technical things but I don't do that. we have been very lucky...one morning in winter we saw wolves chase and take down an elk from maybe 100 yards away. we were driving to a ski and they were chasing and grabbing and pulling down the elk. I've never seen anything like that before, it was incredibly exciting to see 'live". saw them many other times too, more quietly. when hiking or skiing. usually from a good distance but also very close from the car. one crossed the road right in front of us once. absolutely stunning and eerie. coyotes are usually around the same areas but are smaller, but if there is nothing to compare size, its easy to mix them up. now the wolf population is lower and states are actually encouraging hunting, not in the park, but all around it. makes everything more wary. a wold cant tell a thing about park boundaries. yes, I feel bad for the wolves and the elk but that's the way mother nature works to keep things in balance. traps and baiting and chasing down with snowmobiles and atv's. disgusting. the park was overpopulated with elk before and that's not good either. weve heard them howling many times. coyotes are everywhere, sometimes I think more in the suburbs than in the wild. they like the easy meals with small dogs and cats. the world works better if people don't mess with it.

no workout today, will hike tomorrow.

This morning I continued with Ellen Barrett’s 7 Day Workout Challenge and did the 15 Minute Quick Cardio. That was 15 minutes, 92 calories burned, average heart rate 126 and maximum heart rate 141. My husband had an early doctor’s appointment, but that was something that fit in my time schedule. This series is about nourishing the body with workouts that are 15, 30, or 45 minutes.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful day.

Hi Everyone,

Wednesday I did RWH Back, Shoulders & Bicep and an easy 30 minute Peloton ride. Yesterday I did a harder 45 minute Peloton ride. Today is a rest day.

Carolyn-Great job with the Ellen Barrett’s 7 Day Challenge workouts. That sounds like a nice series.

Diane Sue-Nice job with CDorner basic step.

Valerie-Great job with the hikes. That’s interesting about the wolves.

Hi to Cathy

back from another great hike. 3.5 hours. saw pronghorns, tons of elk, bison. you can see all these things close by driving thru the park. it is so much more exciting and thrilling when you are out walking in an mountain areas and you come across an elk herd. a car functions as a "blind" where animals don't recognize people. you can get close without spooking them. easy to get close up pics. on foot though, they know what you are and don't let you close. this is where problems come up with people jumping out of cars to take a picture from 10 feet away of an elk or bear. I cant explain how different it feels to see a wild animal when you are on foot compared to driving. no similarity at all. it levels the playing field! you feel really small and defenseless.

anyway, now that I'm well acclimated to the altitude, its time to leave!. DH said I "sprinted" up the mountain yesterday, and it felt easy, I admit. occasional stops for breath but dramatic difference from a week ago.

Last edited:
Today I did Step Boss Step Sync, 57 minutes, heart rate 140/167, 318 calories, 4,967 steps. I also did CDorner Stretch it Out #36, deep stretch full body and no down dogs. It is a nice stretch I have saved to my watch later. My legs were getting tight and stiff and knees feeling off so I really needed this and the upper at the end is good as well. This is 28 minutes, 35 calories, heart rate 74/92. Total time was 85 minutes, 353 calories. We are waiting for my 9 year old grandson to get dropped off so we can go do some things. His Dad is bringing him after school which is soon.

This morning’s workout was Yogini Sculpt, yoga with some resistance. I used 2# dumbbells which is what Ellen and her team used. It was 30 minutes and 77 calories burned. Average heart rate was 103 and maximum heart rate was 129.

Judy, great job with RWH Back, Shoulders, and Biceps and the Peloton rides.

Valerie, nice hike with great wildlife sightings.

Diane Sue, great job with Step Sync and the CDORNER stretch.

Hello to Cathy.

Yesterday was another, I didn't sleep well, so I skipped a workout. I did go pick up my new reading glasses though! This morning I did Live Hi/Low Hiit, not a fan, mainly because of the moves used though I can do them. Then I did All In Upper Body, which is a really good, fast paced workout.

Valerie it's so cool that you get to see all that wildlife. Michigan has an elk herd in the lower peninsula and moose in the UP, but I've yet to see any in the wild. Deer I see way too much of around here. And with hunting season starting soon, they will be extra agitated. There's an island called Isle Royale in Lake Superior which is a national park in Lake Superior. The wolves and moose on the island have a fascinating history of ebbing and flowing and for the most part naturally regulating each other, but a few years ago the population of wolves dwindled to two so they did an introduction program. Currently there are around 14 wolves and 2000 moose. I think the introduced close to 20 wolves, but at least one took off over the ice in winter and went to Canada. That sounds like a great hike you had yesterday!

Carolyn great job with another 7 day challenge workout and the Quick Cardio, and the yoga sculpt workout!

Judy great job with RWH upper body workout and Peloton rides!

Diane Sue great job with Step Sync and CDorner Stretch.

I'm probably one of the few people in Michigan NOT watching the Michigan State vs- Michigan football game right now.

Today I did CDorner Low Impact Cardio no jumping, 33 minutes, 192 calories, 3,337 steps. I also did some of the Deep Stretch I did yesterday and work on neck and shoulder tightness and knots. I really hurt last night and today. Hoping better tomorrow.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.