Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/24

Carolyn thanks for starting the thread . we went off to the park this morning and did some walking, probably about 6 miles altogether . left early and I cant start this from my phone. a nice day, saw lots of critters. bighorns, pronghorns, elk, bison and lots of bear tracks. hunting season started outside the park so not sure what we will be doing for the next few days. will decide one day at a time.

This weekend flew by. Friday was a rest day. Yesterday I worked 8 hours at HD and got almost 20,000 steps. Today I did 80 minutes of Peloton rides and a 10 minute Peloton arm workout.

Carolyn-I hope you enjoyed your rest day.

Valerie-It sounds like you had a nice walk this morning.

Diane Sue-Nice job with the CDorner step workouts and the chair stretch.

Cathy-I'm sorry about the sleep issues. I hope you can get more sleep this week.

Today I did CDorner Low Impact Cardio no jumping "walking" ( really it is just a low impact workout with fun music), 32 minutes, 201 calories, heart rate 145/175, 3,971 steps. I then did some Stretches and moves from Dr Joe on youtube.

we had a good walk/hike today. two actually. the first was longer. I cant decide the difference between a walk, hike, and a climb. I call it a walk if I'm not carrying a pack ( 20 lbs) and fairly flat terrain. a hike requires a pack and usually more elevation gain and loss. a climb is a longer more intense hike. mostly for figuring activity points. so yesterday was two hikes. today is a day off.

carolyn I tried the recipe card printout this morning, a new WW feature. it worked fairly well. it prints big and uses a lot of ink. recipe for a stuffed acorn squash. isn't complicated but prints in large dark characters, on one side of the page, with the other entire side of paper a picture of the dish. I wanted to use some ink this morning. our cartridges dry out before they get used. all printers are different. I have an HP envy. at least it doesn't have ads or shopping lists that stretch out over 4 pages. editing recipes before printing isnt always possible.

Today I did Ellen Barrett’s Feel Good Fusion for 30 minutes and 110 calories burned. Average heart rate was 112 and maximum heart rate was 137. I decided to do a few days of gentle recovery type workouts. This one is a fusion of pilates, yoga, and dance.

Judy, great job with the Peloton ride and arm workout. How are your work hours these days? Hopefully things are less hectic now.

Valerie, nice job with the long walk/hike. I haven’t tried printing the WW recipe cards, but I like to pick them up when I’m in the studio. I browse the recipes on the app for things that appeal to me. The stuffed delicata squash with mushrooms and farro is one that I have made a few times, including last week. I made half the recipe because I wanted it as a side dish rather a main dish.

Diane Sue, nice job with CDorner Low Impact Cardio.

Waving hello to Cathy. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Today I did RWH Chest, Shoulders & Triceps with Bonus Abs One. Afterwards I did 45 minutes of easy spinning on the Peloton.

Carolyn-Nice job with Ellen Barrett’s Feel Good Fusion. Doing a few days of recovery workouts is a good idea. I try to do that regularly too. I've been getting a lot of days off at HD. I've been working 3 days a week on average. I try to keep it that way otherwise it would be too much.

Diane Sue-Nice job with the CDorner Low Impact Cardio workout. That one sounds like fun.

Valerie-Great job with your walk/hike.

Hi to Cathy

This will be short because I'm exhausted. I've had 4-5 nights in a row now of broken sleep. Fall asleep, wake up for 2-3 hours, back to sleep for a couple... fun stuff.

I did get a workout in yesterday though not what I planned. I did a tabata workout I created, but apparently not when I was thinking clearly, because it had too many similar moves, so I'll edit it at some point. Then I did core and followed it up with an extended stretch. Was too tired today to do anything. Three times in the last week, I fell asleep and slept until DH was up and turning things on between 7:30 and 8!

I did stacked upper body and the bonus abs 1.

cathy I sympathize. I get that too for no good reason. I'm sleeping fine and then suddenly I am awake at all hours and it goes on for a while. no explanation, like coffee or something. just happens. lots of time, quiet, no rush or any reason, but I wake up and cant sleep.

Today I did another workout from Ellen Barrett’s 7 Day Challenge, Power 15. This is a muscle conditioning workout using light dumbbells. It was 15 minutes and 44 calories burned. Average heart rate was 101 and maximum heart rate was 121. Then I did Jessica Smith’s Streamline Sculpt for 16 minutes and 76 calories burned. Average heart rate was 115 and maximum heart rate was 134.

Judy, great job with RWH Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps, Bonus Abs One and the Peloton ride. Three days a week sounds just right for part time work.

Cathy, I’m sorry that you are having such sleep issues. It’s not surprising that you feel exhausted.

Valerie, nice job with Stacked Sets Upper Body and Bonus Abs One.

Hello to Diane Sue.

Finally, finally, I got 8 hours sleep! I went back and looked and I hadn't slept that long since April 24!! Amazing how much more energy I had today. I did Live Crossfire Quick Fix plus Core. It's 3 rounds of 4 exercises repeated and not low impact. The second set of four uses the loop. I managed to do all the cardio, but had to adapt a few core moves for my back. It also reminded me why I have rarely ever done the original Crossfire in it's entirety. LOL It's a good workout, just very intense. Then I did Upper Body Pump which is a good upper body workout. Four rounds Biceps, back and shoulders and Chest and Triceps and Core.

DH has to go up to Cadillac tomorrow for work. About 2 1/2 hours north so he'll be gone most of the day and gets to get up at 5:30, as he has to add picking up a State car into the trip. Going to be a very early morning for someone whose been getting up after 7. Because of COVID he hasn't actually traveled since 2019 as they don't go out on projects in the winter. I'll be using the time to get some things around the house done that are just easier when he's not in the way!

Carolyn great job with Power 15 and JS Streamline Sculpt.

Valerie nice job with Stacked Sets Upper Body and Abs. You're right there you are going along getting an okay amount of sleep and boom suddenly it's nights of messed up. Hoping to get back on track now.

Today I did CDorner Step # 157 which played for me this time without freezing, 59 minutes, heart rate 132/162. 289 calories, 4,926 steps. I then did Coffey Fit Raw Stretch plus a few minutes of CDorner latest mobility stretch which started out okay , but went into inchworm and stuff that would not work for me. Raw Stretch I did a different stretch for my hips when she did the plow and shoulder stand(I forgot about those), This was 33 minutes, 54 calories, heart rate 80/101, 69 steps . This was 92 minutes, 343 calories, and 4,995 steps. I know if I could swing my arms around I would have got more calories from the step workout, but it still was good.
I could not sleep last night. I kept trying to get comfortable and had taken some Curcumin extract and collagen before bed, but I still hurt. Finally got up at 2 am and took a melatonin sleep mix tablet, and still was a long time before I fell asleep. I almost gave in and got up to get Advil. I feel much better this evening after the stretching and movement. Even my hips and legs hurt this morning. Not sure why.

This morning I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix workout one which was 26 minutes and 196 calories burned. Average heart rate was 135 and maximum heart rate was 157.

Cathy, good news on getting 8 hours of sleep! Great job with Live Crossfire Quick Fix plus core and Upper Body Pump.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Step and Coffeyfit Stretch. Do yo take medication for your arthritis?

Hello to Judy and Valerie.

This morning I did P30 Low Impact Hiit and after breakfast started cleaning. Moved furniture and swept, vacuumed and mopped the whole upstairs. Small house but still all that took a couple hours. Then after lunch I did the basement stairs and the bottom area. The rest of the basement is carpet and I can do that anytime. Brought up all the bags of clothes the boys and I sorted out over the summer to donate (it's a LOT) and I need to call the place tomorrow and find out hours for drop offs.

Carolyn great job with KCM's Cardio Quick Fix!

Diane Sue great job with the CDorner Step and the stretches! Sorry to hear you are still in so much pain and how much it's affecting your sleep.

This morning I did CDorner basic step that she did outside. This one does not do around the step moves and is easy to follow. You could see Kevin dragging out a hose and in and out of their storage building in the background. This workout was 30:56 minutes, heart rate 139/177, 181 calories, 3,020 steps. I then did Boss Loops Timesaver #2 no floorwork glutes and abs, 26 minutes, 145 calories, heart rate 138/166, 1,178 steps. I used my heavy fabric loop band. I also did some rolling and stretching.
Time was 57 minutes, 326 calories, 4,198 steps. I slept well last night. My arm and shoulder did not hurt as bad and I was able to sleep on my back which always helps my neck and traps. With the arm hurting I kept having to lay on my side with a bolster behind me to lean my right elbow on with it slightly behind me to alleviate pain.

we did a load of shorter hikes tuesday, for a good 3 hours of hiking. in the snow. yes, a fair amount of snow made everything more interesting. went back in the park today and did about 2.5 hours of the same. it was colder, and way windier so we didn't go as long as planned. first spot was too windy so we went for 45 minutes and bailed. must have been gusting to 50 mph in between snow showers.

I got decent sleep last night even tho i did nothing any different from the nights I could not sleep. go figure... cathy good to hear you got a good night in too. diane sue, good you got some decent rest too.

Keeping the dirt cleaned up has been a chore as it has been windy and they bringing truck loads of dirt and dumping them along the street behind us in preparation for more homes going in. At least that is what I guess it is for. I was watching them from the patio and you could see the dirt blowing through the air. It rained last night so no hauling today and I imagine the piles are wet down good. I am sure these things are going to be stirring up all kinds of stuff for quite awhile as they build. I dust and I come in in the morning and can see a new layer of dirt.

Carolyn, I sat cardio quick fix out for something I might be able to workout with. I don't remember boxing in the first half. I like that one. Yes, I take hydroxychloraquine. I also use supplements to help. I use arthritisfoundation.org for suggestions. My doctor offered to change the med several years ago, but I said I would wait awhile. I really do not want to use immune suppressing meds.

Valerie, I am glad that you got some sleep. Running around tired during the day is miserable. It seems like the hikes and all of the outdoor activity would help you get good nights sleep.

Judy, nice job on the workouts. It is good that you can keep your work hours down to 3 hours at HD. Hope it stays that way for you.

This morning I did another workout from Ellen Barrett’s 7 Day Challenge, Core Yoga. It includes both standing and floor core work. That was 30 minutes and 74 calories burned. Average heart rate was 104 and maximum heart rate was 128. Then I did Jessica Smith’s 15 Minute Calorie Burst. That was 15 minutes, 110 calories burned, average heart rate 129 and maximum heart rate 146.

Cathy, nice job with P30 Low Impact HiiT. Cleaning house is a never ending task. Sorting through donations is something that I should work on here.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Basic Step and Boss Loops Glutes and Abs timesaver. Cardio Quick Fix should be a workout that is doable. She has one segment with a grapevine and jab cross, but no real boxing.

Valerie, it’s good that you could get in short hikes with the windy, cold weather conditions.

Hello to Judy. Have a good day everyone.

carolyn we try to be flexible but still enjoy what we're doing. it shouldn't be so rigid that it's not fun. the first hike was potentially long, but it was wide open and the wind was nasty. we gave it a shot and went for 30 min. we could see it would be a lot more distance in the open. we bailed and got back to the car in 15-20. if things aren't looking good, we usually set a time limit, like we will go for an hour or half hour before deciding. we tried a few more spots during the day but the wind got worse. we found an old abandoned trail that we wanted to try today but decided we needed a day off and also to clean up some things so we can leave early sat am. we will try that hike friday instead.
Shorter things make bad conditions more workable. we were pleased to find the trail. it was covered with fresh wolf prints and isn't far from the main road. a real score! park animals are used to people and cars but still avoid them. we skipped one destination yesterday because a big elk herd was grazing and we knew we'd make them move if we did it so we moved on.

No workout today as I shopped. Was not my best trip, as I was chatting with staff at Whole Foods and grabbed my Amazon rewards card instead of my husbands to pay. Ugh! That never goes over well. LOL I still got the prime discounts because I just scan the code, but he doesn't get the 5% back, which is usually at least $10.

Diane Sue great job on the CDorner step and Boss Bands Timesaver! I don't blame you for avoiding immune suppressing drugs, they create a whole new set of issues to deal with for sure. Living somewhere with continual new building is definitely a challenge when it comes to dust, dirt and noise.

Carolyn, great job with the Core Challenge and Calorie Burst workouts! Having my husband here nearly all the time, has really added to the cleaning challenges. No cleaning during live meetings because of noise, and some things are just easier when no one is getting in my way.

Valerie have you ever seen any wolves. They tend to move about so silently. The only time I've seen them is running across the highway ahead of me. And while there's an outside possibility they were large dogs, it was in the middle of a stretch of no houses for at least 10 miles so I'm pretty sure it wasn't and they weren't coyote, which I've seen more often. We have those around here. The ones that people let live.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.