Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/10

Today I did CDorner Low Impact Disco from today, modifying the upper moves. Funny thing is that I am noticing when I spend more of the workout time trying to work harder without a lot of arm moves and overhead and adding a bit of impact like jacks without arms overhead and ski jumps and my heart rate has really got up and calorie burns are higher. At least I am guessing that is what it is. She does some speed bag arms in this and I did not do those at all. Total time was today was 55 minutes with adding Coffey FIt Raw stretch finisher, 319 calories, heart rate 149/189, 5,362 steps. That is all I did as I needed to make a trip to the grocery store since I am doing family dinner Sunday.

Carolyn, nice work today on Lite Pyramid Pump Upper Body. The sun finally came out late this afternoon. Nice to see it out as it has been so dark for several days now.

Cathy, I was hoping not to have to go back out as I had bought a lot from Walmart last week and got an order from Whole Foods, but it ended up I needed a few things for Sunday family dinner. I ended up with quite a bit of stuff, but picked up paper goods since I was out and I do not like to get that stuff from Whole Foods. Although the napkins are not bad and I get them from there. I also wanted Advil and I have learned you are not getting that from Whole Foods or Sprouts. Actually Whole Foods carries a few things like Cheerios and our local Head Country Barbecue Sauce. Sprouts did not. I asked about pain reliever at Sprouts once and the guy showed me some 20 dollar herbal product and I told him I would go to the Dollar General across the street. Prices are getting outrageous. 17 dollars for toilet paper!! Some things you have. I did manage the one workout this morning though. I have never explored the workout manager other than to post workouts and I finally quit using it like I used to. Calorie burns and met values for workouts are not accurate and having to create my own as to cardio or weights etc was too much bother. Plus live workouts were not there either. Just dvds. I know what you mean about the chaptering on some of the workouts. Usually the older ones, as I try to use portions of certain workouts like you are putting together.

Valerie, my Spin Bike is just a Schwinn, and works okay for how much I use it. It gives RPM, miles, calories(not sure how it figures calories) and time spent. Maybe I would use a higher level one more, but I am afraid it would be like getting on the Tread Climber. The Tread Climber is hard. The highest it goes is 4.5 mph and I have hardly ever hit that. I try to do it without holding the handles and at that speed you have to hold on. I used to use a treadmill a lot though. I don't know what it is that makes me not want to use the equipment that much. I feel the same with the count down timer. I never thought about trying to get back on the bike when climbing a hill and stopping. That makes sense that it would be hard to get back on on the incline and get going again.

Yesterday I did an hour of Peloton rides and 10 minutes of Peloton arm toning. Today I did 4 DS Lower Body.

Carolyn-Great job with LiTE Pyramid Pump Upper Body.

Cathy-Nice job with Live Imax and Total Body Barre. That sounds like a good combination.

Diane Sue-Great job with Jessica Smith Walk Strong 3 Boogie I.T. and Fit Tower Advanced legs, glutes, and core no core mix. I've been thinking about doing some Fit Tower workouts again.

Valerie-I prefer the workouts with the countdown timers. The Lemond spin bikes are nice.

I did a 40 min spin premix, mainly because my sister called just as I was starting and that ate some time.

we were pretty sure we would spin a lot since we ride so much outdoors, and turns out we use it a lot more than we expected to. . two people using it a lot, I'm glad we got a little better bike. we learned that we will wear out equipment! some companies make things that are fine for the first 10 uses and then start to fall apart or need service. I didn't want to spend $3000 unless that was needed to get something that holds up to regular use.

This morning I did LiTE Pyramid Pump Lower Body, up only premix. My time was 38 minutes with 150 calories burned. Average heart rate was 108 and maximum heart rate was 140.

Cathy, it’s very frustrating to come home from shopping without everything that you need. I‘ve had that happen a few times, sometimes because I overlooked it on my list.

Valerie, great job with the 40 minute spin premix. I don’t use my bike much these days, but I’m glad that I bought the one that I did, a Spnning Star Trac. My husband still uses it, and it really gets used when my daughters are here. They use it like they did in spinning classes.

Diane Sue, nice work with CDorner Low Impact Disco and Coffeyfit Raw stretch. Stores like Sprouts, The Fresh Market, and Whole Foods are certainly different from regular grocery stores. I have learned to shop there for specific items only and I still make my regular trips to Krogers.

Judy, great job with your Peloton rides, Peloton arm toning, and 4 DS Lower Body.

Have a great day everyone.

This morning I did the Bonus Cardio Tabata from CrossFire and the Live Bands and Loops. I really like that Bands and Loops one and I hope she does more of them.

Valerie I don't have a spin bike, but I totally understand the counter being helpful. I prefer the Hiit workouts that have the counter. Great job getting in the spin workout this morning, especially given you started late. I'm horrible about getting my workout in, if I start late. I stopped coloring my hair early in 2020, and I honestly thought it would all grow in gray, but there are still a few areas that are dark, and the gray is many shades. I've decided to refer to it as variegated. :D

Diane Sue great job with the Low Impact Disco. Is it really disco moves! I was in high school during peak disco times. LOL I turned 18, my senior year, the year MI drinking age changed, so I was able to drink for a whole month and my boyfriend and I went to the disco in E. Lansing once! Wasn't gonna get him there again. ;)

Judy great job with the peloton workouts and 4DS Lower Body!

Carolyn great job with the PP Lower Body! It's always better when I can come home and say the store was out of something, rather than having to confess that I simply forgot it, because then I get "how could you forget it, you had a list!" Oops

carolyn is that the bike Cathe and her crew uses? looking for a spin bike was hard. no one had much to look at. the price range was the $250 range, and then shooting up to $3000 plus with no one in the middle. finally found the LeMond. there are some things Im fine buying off a web page, but not a spin bike. maybe it was a local supply issue. the exercise equipment businesses were battling each other and we didnt have many places to look.

Cathy I came to the natural hair color decision in spring of 2021. its interesting how many colors can exist on one head, isn't it? 50 shades of gray? when I'm out and about, it seems like a lot of other women decided to make the switch during this time too. lots more grey and silver hair than I used to see. this is as close to blond as I've ever been.

did pyramid pump upper, the ab workout, and 10 min on the elliptical. I'm not a big fan of pyramid work. I sometimes think I don't push the weights enough, but I cant jump 5 lbs from 15 to 20 and weighted gloves arent enough to notice. too much diddling around getting the weight right. still do it sometimes.

Last edited:
Today I did not do much of a workout. I saved some spin workouts on youtube and did Spin Junkie, Classic Rock Ride Hiit class(all seated no jumps) 18 minutes, 3.73 miles 15.0 mph, 80 calories Garmin, bike said 137. RPM was 60 building to 107 , heart rate 116/144. I was disappointed in the results as I was pushing hard to get those last rpm's built up and my heart rate. I might have should have just stuck with cardio setting instead of indoor bike setting without the cadence counter device. The workout was just okay to me, it was intervals that built up till they were pretty hard. At first I though gee the 60 seems easy and I kept going higher than that. After this, not wanting to use my arm as the elbow hurt badly last night, I did CDorners Pilates Ball Quick Ab Burner and Inner Thigh Burner, 29 minutes, 61 calories. I also did stretching which I did not count as I was just doing stuff for rotator cuff and did part of CDorners neck and shoulderes till she got the the arms extended rotating palm up and down which hurt so I quit. Total workout time was 47 minutes, 131 calories. No steps to speak of. Bad storms hit last night. My husband got home late as they had to deal with the damage. The news says it was a mesocyclone.. It was so bad a school lost it's roof. my husbands work had one metal building lift up and move 20 feet leaving the stuff sitting in it sit. Vehicles were moves. He showed me pictures. I knew it was storming and could hear the hail and the thunder and I just went to bed. Worried when I woke and he was not home. Our neighborhood is okay though. He was only about 5 miles away.

diane sue that's scary. I assume mesocyclone is a small tornado ? I hated weather in the midwest. I cannot sleep thru that chaos. we get thunderstorms... wind, hail, and lightning but no tornados. I have a serious fear of those.

Valerie, I have gotten where I don't fear the storms like I did when we first moved to Oklahoma many years ago. The year we came here, we had two small children and it seemed there were storms and tornado warning a lot of nights that first spring. I couldn't sleep as I was so worried and it seemed storms hit evenings a lot. As it is now, I really don't want to go in the garage and crawl into that tiny hole in the ground shelter that is under my car. I can't get it open even if I wanted too. I tried to push the button in with a screwdriver to look inside and see if there were critters in it, but I just don't have the strength right now. For some reason the thing that should have been attached to a broken off wire to push it in and open it is missing. We had a large in ground shelter put in at one house with ventilation vents on top. I told my husband this one made think of being in a coffin. He says you cannot stand in it. One station was calling it a wind event. Over the place my husband works the winds were up to 110 mph. There were several areas hit. I guess they measure the storms by the wind velocity or something as to what they call it. I kept telling my husband the one we had that tore up roofs, power lines were all over and our fence was gone along with bending over the neighbors chain link fence poles and windows out was not called a tornado. So, I am not sure why they called it what they did. Lots of damage though and the airport lost part of a hanger. It seems weird to have those kind of storms this time of year. Usually it just gets rainy and chilly outside. A lot of time there are warnings for flooded areas.
I have almost always colored my own hair unless I needed help with a hair color experiment I did. So, I just bought 6 boxes of color at a time from the Nature Tint company and never had to worry about going out. I think if I had to go out to color, I would probably quit because I do not like going to salons. It is something I always dreaded. My husband cuts and I color. I have had to make adjustments when coloring the back though. At our other house I had shelving that I could sit my adjustable make up mirror on and tilt it just right and could see the back of my head when working on it. Here I finally have dragged the ladder in that has wide steps and set in the bathroom for my mirror.

Judy nice work with the Peloton ride. I guess when you sign up they have other workouts besides just rides?

Carolyn, I have come to like a lot of products I get from Whole Foods and I buy a large amount of stuff from there. Then I order some items like laundry soap etc. from Amazon. So Walmart is just generally those few things I could not get. I get some of the Primal Kitchen frozen dinners from Whole Foods for when I am busy or just tired. I like the meats and chicken from Whole Foods best. I get the chicken that is organic and no broth and water added to it when it is packaged. I cannot count on Whole Foods to always have the packs of water though. I like it when I can get it so I don't have to haul packs of water in and out of carts and the car. I started buying Gallon jugs of alkaline and osmosis spring water which is easier. Walmart always has those on the top shelf though.
Nice work with Lite Pyramid Pump Lower premix today.

Cathy, the workout plays some disco type music. Chris does some moves that are a bit dancy, but nothing crazy. She is easy to follow and it is fun. Even the workouts that are dance workouts are easy. I would imagine if I tried to do some of those moves somewhere where they were dancing, they would laugh. I do enjoy fun music with the workouts. LOL on having an excuse when you really forgot the item at the store. Is the live bands and loops workout total body?

Good afternoon. This morning I did P30 Low Impact HiiT for 31 minutes and 210 calories burned. My average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate was 160. I went to the farmer’s market and got some Delicata squash and the small sweet potatoes that my favorite farmer grows. Also picked up kale and a small jar of buckwheat honey. It‘s a perfect fall day here and the fall vegetables look wonderful. I had to be careful not to buy too much!

Cathy, nice job with Crossfire Bonus Cardio Tabata and Live Bands and Loops.

Valerrie, yes my spin bike is the one that Cathe uses, although I didn’t know that at the time that I purchased it. I have the home version rather than the one made for heavy duty gym use which made it a bit less expensive. I keep my weight workouts recorded on a workout sheet and I use my last workout to gauge the weights that I want to use. That helps me with Pyramid workouts since I already have a range of dumbbells out. Sometimes I go heavier or lighter, but the dumbbells are close by and easy to switch weights.

Diane Sue, nice job with the spin workouts from YouTube and CDORNER Pilates Ball Abs and Inner Thighs. That storm around you sounds scary. Regardless of what they are called, storms with high rotating winds can do a lot of damage. I’m glad that your home was safe.

Waving hello to Judy. Have a good day everyone.

Yesterday I did an hour of Peloton rides, a 10 minute Peloton arm workout and 30 minutes of Yin Yoga.
The weather is really changing quickly here. It was cloudy and much cooler today.

Diane Sue-Great job with the spin workouts. The YouTube ones sound like fun. Yes, Peloton has a lot of other workouts too. They also have stretching, yoga and meditation. I still prefer Cathe for strength, but it's nice to add some of the shorter Peloton workouts on after a ride.

Carolyn-Great job with P30 Low Impact HiiT. I'm the same way with grocery stores. There are things we like to get from Whole Foods and other specialty stores but we still make regular trips to Kroger.

Cathy-Nice job with Bonus Cardio Tabata from CrossFire and the Live Bands and Loops. I might have to download the Live Bands and Loops workout.

Valerie-Have a great time in Mt!

Today I did CDorner Step Aerobics 80's Sweatfest cardio, 51 minutes, heart rate 123/161, 249 calories, 3,868 steps. I did not do much with arm moves so heart rate was down a bit, but I still got in a good workout and enjoyed the footwork. I then did some foam rolling for upper back and shoulders and some moves for shoulder pain with Youtube Dr Joe. It is a football game day for my husband and I have been making enchiladas and chocolate chip cookies for when the family comes over tomorrow. Hoping 24 enchiladas is enough as 2 are not coming for sure and I know if I eat any myself it will be one. I am making a kale salad which will be my go to food. My shoulder really hurts after all of the cooking and clean up was done so I am icing it. I read on Arthritis Foundation and they suggest over double what I have been taking of Tumeric/curcumin and I have found if I take it twice a day at the dosage I was using once a day it really does help. I just took an evening dose, so I would be good for bedtime. Hopefully anyway. Trying to leave Advil only if I need it to sleep. I don't know what happened to my magnesium and zinc that I ordered from Amazon. It shipped out from PA, but seems to be stuck somewhere. It said one day shipping when I ordered. I had a couple of days left of some here and did not figure I would be out. Then I had a package from Cheekymaiden.com that should have been delivered today from GA and for some reason it did not get here either. It was priority mail though. I was disappointed. I like their natural products and ordered deoderant along with face soap and more bath soap. I think I may try some of their cleaners and laundry soap. I found them through Colen Champ's email newsletter that I subscribe to. He is an oncologist that does siminars and stuff that I have watched on Youtube. Cheaky Maiden is a family project that they use the funds to help homeless, help with adoptions, missions and those that need help. I liked how they got started and their wanting to give back and do things good for environment. Nice family project as well. Maybe I will get my stuff Monday.

Carolyn, nice work on P30 Low impact Hiit. I have not done it in awhile. Isn't it a bit more of drill type work? It seems there is a reason I keep avoiding it. It is either that or down to the floor moves. I have to watch myself, because I am the only one that eats the fresh vegetables and so it requires me to hurry up and make something out of them that I can freeze so they do not go to waste. I love squash. I bet there is a farmers market around here somewhere. I have not checked though. We got rid of the two trees the people had planted that lived here before. We replaced the one in the front with an evergreen. We have dealt with broken trees and damage too many times. Plus all of the leaves. In the back the planted some evergreens along the fence that will get tall, but they planted too close to the fence. I imagine that may be a problem as it says on the tag that they get about 4 feet around and they are planted about 24 inches from the fence. I see people do that all of the time and wonder if they even considered the size a few years later.

Judy, that is nice that Peloton has some other shorter workouts that you can add to your rides. I was looking on youtube for something that looked fun with the countdown timers or something to have a goal for. I like Kelly's Raw RIpped and Ride workouts, but I am not doing weight work right now.

Valerie, the weather was nice here today. Cool, and just right in the 60's. Hopefully no storms for awhile.

Diane Sue-You could try the Peloton app for a while if you are doing more spinning workouts. It is really nice to have the countdown timer. Also, I've used this YouTube channel for cycling workouts, they have countdown timers on all their workouts:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.