Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/26

Today I did Ellen Barrett’s Peace, Love, and Cardio for 30 minutes and 176 calories burned. Average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate was 149. This workout is a blend of pilates, yoga, and walking. I also did JS One Mike of Motivation for 15 minutes and 114 calories burned. My average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate was 140.

Valerie, having friends over is a wonderful way to spend the afternoon and evening. I’m glad that the dinner turned out as you intended.

Deb, glad that your husband made it home safely.

Hello to Diane Sue and Judy.

This morning I did Ellen Barrett’s Power 15, a low weight, high rep workout with some movement. That was 15 minutes and 48 calories burned. I used 2# dumbbells, as did Ellen. After that I did JS Total Body Circuit from her Boost Metabolism + Muscle dvd. That was 35 minutes and 201 calories burned. My average heart rate was 123 and maximum heart rate was 157.

Sunday I did Yin Yoga after work. Yesterday I did Pyramid Lower Body (Intensity Series) and today I did a very easy 90 minutes on the Peloton. I kept my heart rate low and did it as a recovery ride. I'm planning on taking a rest week soon as I've been pretty sore and feeling like I need one.

Hope everyone is having a good week

Judy

I think that I am behind again. Yesterday I got in my workout and my grandson came over to bring me my car so I could take Gertie for her yearly vet appointment. I brought her back and hit Walmart during higher traffic time so barely got home and put things away and my husband came home from work. We ate and took my car to my grandson's work and left him the key and that was pretty much the whole day. Hoping it does not take too long to get his car fixed. He needs a car for work. He has two jobs.

Yesterday I did Coffey Fit Raw Box and Pump #3 (more lower focus) 59 minutes, 301 calories, heart rate 131/165 , 3,942 steps followed by Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga neck and shoulders, 19 minutes, 47 calories, heart rate 107/132, 43 steps. Total time was 78 minutes, 348 calories, 3985 steps.
My workout today was Raw Boxing and Kettlebell 2, 29 minutes, 153 calories, heart rate 133/192, 2,171 steps. I then did Real Raw Box and Pump 2, 40 minutes using the 15 and 8# Kelly uses except for the overhead shoulders where I used 10#, heart rate 132/161, 2,809 steps, 205 calories. Total time was 69 minutes, 358 calories, 4,980 steps. Yesterday it was beautiful out. Lots of people out walking their dogs and taking their children out for walks. Today it is in the 30's and raining. Such crazy weather.

Valerie, I think I am glad your dinner was a success. I think I might have gotten an Asian chicken salad recipe from you once. I love different salads. I have been making chicken and veggie stir fries a lot lately with an Asian type sauce. Mostly put it together on my own though with tamari or Coconut aminos, honey, ginger garlic, and sometimes I use some arrowroot powder or something to thicken it a bit. I did that with my daughter and served it with rice and they loved it. I am sure you are anxious to head to Montana for a bit. Will it be skiing weather there?

Deb, right now I bet the Bahamas is nice compared to winter weather :) Our dogs always miss us when we were gone. I took Gertie to the vet yesterday and they sent me home with a print out from Cummings Veterinary Medical Center at Tufts university that says new studies show grain free dog food being bad for dogs and causing cardiovascular disease. He suggested I get Gertie some vet authorized food ( he didn't tall me I needed his authorization to purchase) called Royal Canin Satiety dog food to help her feel full without putting on weight. She is a tiny bit over her limit. I am not sure about it. I looked at the ingredients. I hate when they put corn meal and stuff in the dog food. I don't think it comes in salmon either. That is pretty much all Gertie has eaten. I will have to think about it.

Carolyn, nice workout choices. I have been wanting to do Jessica Smith Have a Ball again and may do that tomorrow.

I think today may have been a bit much for my neck. It is starting to hurt. Two days in a row of boxing and weights was probably too much. One of the workouts does some of the boxing on the heavy bag or with dumbbells. Kelly does have a rotation though where she puts the Box and Pump 2 and 3 on a Mon and Tues. One hits lower for the weights and the other upper for the weights. Tomorrow needs to be gentler stuff. Tomorrow will be extra stretching as well.

I am done with my cardiology appt for this six months. need to get hair done later today. sick of traffic, the drive this morning was pretty rough. there is no end to bad traffic here, no matter when or what day.

diane sue I don't think I ever printed the Asian chicken salad recipe. its a mish mosh of different recipes . its loosely based on a Panera salad recipe, using their chicken marinade, basic ingredients and a dressing recipe from somewhere else. its colorful, light on calories but filling. I slice wonton wraps into slices and bake them. restaurants often use chow mein noodles that I don't care for. I serve toppings in bowls separately along with the dressing so everyone can use as little or as much as they want. cousin is finally on a serious diet, it was his 70th birthday. I didn't want to undermine his progress. he has lost about 40 lbs by sticking to a diet and finally, regular exercise. we've encouraged him for years, and he finally got serious about 6 months ago and is doing great. I can use coconut aminos in the dressing as a sub for soy sauce DH thinks is a migraine trigger. I ordered it in restaurants often, but my own version is better.

while I was on the elliptical I watched the low impact sweat blast. no, footwork is too fancy for me. the main workout is OK but not the blast.

I always thought dog food was a mix of meat products, vegetables, and grain. I think I read the all meat foods seem to be connected to cardiomyopathy , not a good thing. our dog would eat anything and everything.

Valerie, the won tons sounds like a great idea for a topping. I like the flavor of tamari better than coconut aminos. sometimes I use a tiny bit of tamari with the coconut aminos. I have not had a migraine in years. I keep looking for good quality bottled dressings for when I don't want to make my own. Many tend to want to add sweetener. Even the so called Paleo ones. I am not a fan of overly sweet dressings. A tiny bit of honey is okay. Maybe you posted the Panera salad recipe. I often make a different dressing recipe or change them up to my liking when I do salad recipes. That is great that your cousin has lost so much weight. I bet he feels a lot better.
Years ago I don't think people really spent that much time worrying about their dogs food. They usually lived many years and were fine with some dog food and table scraps. As I looked at that dog food that is a vet approval dog food, the first ingredient was cellulose then corn and wheat. I think it has a tremendous amount of fillers. It is supposed to make the dog feel full so they don't need as much to eat. I am a bit leery of the health benefits of the food. I avoid shredded cheese because of cellulose. I am not paying for wood pulp in my food. Makes a difference in flavor. Not really wanting it in the dog food either.
The food my dog eats is salmon with sweet potatoes and peas in it. Many grain free foods use quinoa, lentils, garbanzo beans and that sort of thing. The cardiomyopathy is what the article my vet sent home is about. The reason I choose the food I have used is my dog had a hard time with stomach issues with other meats and the grains. Maybe she has outgrown it? It sure seems all of that fiber stuff would give the dog flatulence.

yesterday was chaotic. traffic was horrible and took way more time. I had to come home before my hair appointment.. too much time in between but not enough time to do much, so I did a 30 min pedal power spin. cut it slightly short but felt good I got it in at all. I thought I posted this. maybe I accidentally pulled up an older thread.
the dressing has sugar. its very flavorful. by the time you divide it by # of servings, it is pretty insignificant but you would miss it if it weren't there. I sub for some of the things, like coconut aminos for the soy.
Ginger Sesame dressing
1/4 cup neutral flavored oil ( canola or avocado)
1 TB toasted sesame oil
2 TB sugar
1 TB soy sauce
1/4 plus 1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp 1/8 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp black pepper

1/2 TB toasted sesame seeds

this is 1/4 of the original recipe....WAY too much dressing. this portion easily made 8 main dish servings. blend with stick blender. add sesame seeds after blending.
if you look up Panera asian chicken salad the simple chicken marinade is there. this is good and easy to do for a group. you can have all the ingredients in separate bowls, people add what they like. I have chopped red pepper, sliced toasted almonds, toasted won ton chips and canned mandarin oranges, plus a big bowl of greens like spring mix.

Today I did JS Stride and Step for 30 minutes and 230 calories burned. Average heart rate was 133 and maximum heart rate was 157. I went to WW this morning after my workout.

I have that Asian Chicken Salad printed out. I think that I looked it up after Valerie posted about it before. It’s called Panera Copycat Asian Sesame Chicken Salad. I think I’ll make it again soon.

Valerie, I hate having down time between appointments. It’s great that you were able to fit in a short spin workout.

Diane Sue, I hope that your neck is okay to day. I’m doing more gentle workouts this week to give my body a break. I was starting to feel tired.

Hello to Deb, Judy, and Lori, if you are still reading the posts. Have a wonderful day.

Carolyn you are correct, I did post it before! however, I kept experimenting... the dressing I posted today is the one I use now, instead of the one on the Panera recipe. I follow marinade , prep and ingredients on the Panera version.
I kept looking because I was trying to duplicate a dressing I get at a local restaurant. That's the one I posted today. It made too much dressing for 2 people, so I cut it to 1/4, that's why the odd numbers. it is still plenty for 8 servings. both are easy.

I started out yesterday planning on meeting a friend for lunch in between appointments, but I cancelled because traffic was awful, didn't think I had enough time.

Lori, I miss your posts. maybe you could drop in occasionally if regular posting is too time consuming

ETA did Revd up rumble today. tomorrow should be a rest day with driving most of the day.

Last edited:
Valerie, I just looked at my notes on that recipe and the dressing was too sweet. I reduced the sweetener to two tbsp and used honey instead of sugar. I also increased the oil to 4 tbsp.

I wanted low impact today so I did Jessica Smith Walk Strong and Have Fun: Have a Ball, 33 minutes, 172 calories, heart rate 129/150 ( I hope everyone realizes I mean average and max :) ), 3,143 steps. I then did Kelly Coffey Cardio Quick Fix #1 which is the low impact one, 29 minutes, heart rate 135/191???, 160 calories, 2,795 steps. I also did the Cardio Quick Fix Bonus abs/hips & glutes, 16 minutes, 71 calories, heart rate 125/138. 503 steps. I used 3# and 2 # for this. I finished off with Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga chest and back, 21 minutes, heart rate 94/126, 31 calories, 28 steps.
Total time was 1 hour 39 minutes (long but I really wanted to get in the stretching too) 434 calories, 6,469 steps I got in the 10,000 steps yesterday. Maybe I will get there today too. I just got back from taking my grandson to pick up his car.

Valerie, thanks for posting that. I need to go pick up a new bottle of toasted sesame oil. I threw what I had out because it was past it's date and totally ruined the last dish I used it in. Stale tasting. Bleh! I don't usually mind having a little extra dressing and using it for a few days. But then it will be just me eating it, so I would probably make a smaller amount.

Carolyn, I really like all of the JS have fun workouts, but my favorite is the step and stride. I have noticed when I workout really hard a lot that I feel more fatigued during the day. I needed the lower impact and a bit slower work today. Neck is better today. I ended up taking Advil last night and it was not near as painful this morning. I am giving it a rest for a couple of days. Maybe some lower body or just another cardio day tomorrow.

the recipe is "summery" but I love it any time of the year. Yes, toasted sesame oil is terrific stuff! the only kind I buy. rancid is not fun. I use it often enough I don't have it go bad here. one of my favorite flavors.
cousin is feeling much better. his reflux is going away, BP is better, and he has hopes of ditching his cpap too. don't know what finally sunk in, hes been trying to diet for years but going to the gym daily has helped immensely.

This morning I did Ellen Barrett’s Quick Cardio for 15 minutes and 97 calories burned. Average heart rate was 123 and maximum heart rate was 168. I followed that with EB‘s Core Yoga which was 30 minutes and 68 calories burned. My average heart rate with that was 99 and maximum heart rate was 127.

Diane Sue, great job with the JS Have a Ball and KCM Cardio Quick Fix workout one. I like both of those.

Valerie, it’s wonderful that your cousin has decided to work on his health. I eat salads year round, so I don’t mind if a recipe is “summery”.

Hello to Judy and Deb.

Hard to predict what motivates people but for cousin, he and wife are moving to AZ in spring I think he decided to not be the fat guy in his new home. He tracks his calories and workouts and is committed.
I signed up with WW yesterday. My birthday is coming in two months and I want to be at goal weight by then. Tired of not making any progress. Weather has been too crummy to ride or ski much rain rain.
carolyn I didn’t mark down what I didn’t like. This newer version is less sweet and probably could be further reduced in sweetness. The Panera version used rice vinegar and they vary a lot between brands and seasoned or unseasoned products.

Valerie, I’m doing the green plan on WW which has fewer zero point foods. That makes me more accountable to myself for portion sizes. Does WW send program materials for online only, or must you read the plan guidelines online?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.