Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/26

I got an email set of questions and answered, and am purple group. I got a pretty detailed email explaining and elaborating. Seems very thorough and much more inclusive for foods I eat a lot. It got so tedious tracking ingredients That it drove me crazy. Last year it seemed non meat protein sources were high points but this looks more fair so beans lentils quinoa aren’t point breakers. Even corn and peas! I feel this will work for me and it works great on my new phone. I want to lose about 10 lbs by end of March. I think that’s reasonable. I have not gotten a starting weight since not home now and gone for a week or so. No scale at other house

Today I did Step Boss Step Sync, 60 minutes ( I added a little to make the calorie burn an even number) 300 calories, heart rate 126/ 150, 5,900 steps. I finished with Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga Hips and knees, 22 minutes, heart rate 102/132, 46 calories, 61 steps. TOTAL time 82 minutes, calories 346, 5,961. My body fat went down 1% over this last month of increased weight training. Not gaining weight though....
I was going to do the neck and shoulder yoga, but my legs and hips have been stiff in the mornings so I thought maybe I should not be ignoring that area so much. Although I have been trying to do a total body stretch at least once a week.
I went to the store today and got some toasted sesame oil. Also I planned on making cashew chicken tomorrow evening since my daughter and grandchildren will be here. I forgot I wanted to use broccoli instead of just green peppers. I don't think they would eat the peppers and the recipe suggests other veggies like broccoli. I do have zucchini, but somehow I don't see it adding much flavor.

Valerie, I am having a hard time getting my weight back on since I have been cutting so many fats. I feel I am still eating plenty of fats, just not near as many and hardly any saturated fat. Adding more fruit and as always I eat vegetables. I hope you can reach your goal. It seems 6 months ago I was feeling like I needed to lose a couple of pounds. It is rather odd to see the weight just dropping off. I was a bit surprised they did not say much when I went to the arthritis center recently. The nurse mentioned my weight and that I had lost, but other than that, no one said anything. He, the nurse, always talks fitness stuff with me. He works out with his son. I had a hard time keeping weight on when I tried to do a vegetarian diet. I still ate fish and tuna though. Tofu dishes and tempeh which I used to make chili. Couldn't keep weight on.

Carolyn, nice work today. I like the Kelly Cardio Quick Fix. It is funny how I skipped it for some reason thinking it looked like it was an easy workout and I wouldn't want it. I kept seeing Judy doing it and she seems to like it and I finally decided to purchase. I haven't had it long. Kelly has it up on her Raw channel now. She put most of her 30 minutes to fitness workouts on her Raw channel along with all of her Raw workouts.

Valerie, when I track my foods I first choose the meal and my list of foods comes up at the bottom of the page. From there I just tap and track. I only need to enter a food on the search box if it’s not there. For recipes, I will look for something similar, rather than creating a new recipe. You can always edit the recipe to make it more like yours. Tracking foods is a topic that comes up often in meetings. In fact, it was the weekly topic at the last meeting. People are surprised at how simple it can be when they change the way that they track. It’s not about perfection, but more about awareness and creating better habits. I thought of you when the purple plan was introduced because of the wide range of free foods. Hopefully it will work better for you.

Today I did Ellen Barrett’s Yogini Sculpt for 30 minutes and 90 calories burned. Average heart rate was 102 and maximum heart rate was 141. This workout is yoga with light weights. I used 2# dumbbells, the same as Ellen. After that I did JS WS3 Tone and Flow for 32 minutes and 191 calories burned. Average heart rate with that was 126 and maximum heart rate was 157. I used 2# dumbbells with Tone and Flow too. Both of the workouts have a lot of shoulder and upper body work and I’m trying not to stress my shoulders and biceps. My elbow has been sore from doing bicep curls with the barbell and is starting to feel better.

I finally ordered new workout shoes and they arrived today. They fit well and feel good on my feet.

Diane Sue, do you eat beans or grains in addition to your heart healthy fats? Maybe your body is at the weight that it wants to maintain. I’m glad that you like Cardio Quick Fix. I do that one often. In fact, I started to do it this week but changed my mind at the last minute.

Hello to everyone and have a great day.

carolyn it worked... its actually intuitive. I entered a breakfast 2 days ago and went to breakfast and there it was! I eat good foods always, with very little crap. I however do not have a metabolism like diane sue. every calorie must be literally sawed and worked off. weight does not "fall off". I will survive...…... and maintain my weight...………….. when only cockroaches are left on the planet. I have to work extremely hard and be somewhat hungry or I will not lose. its a family trait. my sister went thru extensive testing when she was a child because of weight and nothing was wrong, but just not possible to even maintain without serious diligence. I have new shoes on my want list. had mine for quite a few years they need replacing .
I might have more questions but this is vacation.... so I am not being real rigid. we snowshoed 2 hours today, pretty vigorous but mainly because we aren't adapted to altitude yet.

Last edited:
This morning I did LiTE Cardio Partly for 39 minutes and 286 calories burned. My average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 145.

Valerie, I’m glad the tracking suggestion worked for you.

Workout is done. My husband and I went do some things at our church and get lunch. I got a chicken and avocado club sandwich at Charlestons. I only was able to eat about 3/4 of it. Good thing because when I looked it up on MFP it was so high in fat and calories. I took part of the chicken out. I should have got my usual salad. I did Kelly Coffey One on One Strong and Lean workout 2 Kickboxing, 34 minutes, 207 calories, heart rate 142/179, 3,302 steps. I also did Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga Total Body, 21 minutes, 22 calories, 45 steps. I may do neck and shoulders later today. I wanted to get some more stretching in my legs as my left knee and ankle were bothering me a bit this morning. Total time was 56 minutes, 229 calories, 3,347 steps.
I made a really good recipe for cashew chicken last night. My daughter went back for seconds and loved it. I got it from a website called eat yourself thin. I served it with rice though. I don't think the recipe put it on anything. I also picked up a bagged Taylor farms Asian chopped salad mix as I was time crunched on getting things done. I made enough for some left overs :) I looked over the recipes on the site and there were a lot that looked good. I noticed she had WW points on it. I found a yummy looking beet and feta salad recipe on Pinterest that I want to try. I need to go get the ingredients though.

Carolyn, I have added back in more grains. I never completely stopped them and would once in awhile eat some sprouted grain bread or gluten free crackers here and there. I have started eating some oatmeal every morning. Sometimes with some flax seed added. Ezekial or gluten free bread if I choose to have a sandwich at lunch. I use avocado as my spread and then some turkey or tuna. Also started eating some rice when I cook for family instead of getting out the cauliflower rice I generally have in the freezer that I bag individual portions of. I rarely eat beans. They usually do not agree with me. When I tried vegetarian I soaked them with some sort of seaweed or something first and it was supposed to help them digest better. I am working on finding what works.

Valerie, I know we all have different metabolisms. My mother was always thin as well as her dad. One of my brothers is terribly thin and the other is pretty heavy. On the other hand I have not dropped so much weight in a long time, but I think the Paleo diet and use of a lot of grassfed butter, virgin coconut oil, and nut butters in my diet was too much. It kept my weight up though. There are a lot of people that struggle with keeping the weight off. You are so active and eat so well, I am sure you are in excellent health.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.