Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/21

whoops I meant to say for the CAN I put the top back on, then plastic wrap it with an elastic. the squeeze tubes have a tiny opening with a screw on cap.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was Tabatacise and this was my only workout. Felt like this was plenty for the day. Time was 46 mins / 402 cal. Last time I did this (which was a while ago) my HR with my Polar device registered a high of 174, I remember it well. My Apple watch says the high was 164. I will take this as I am more fit! Lol!

Diane Sue...I did not due both together. I made a premix of each workout with 2 sets each. In case I was short on time. Cardio shred is up for tomorrow. Not sure if I am feeling this workout. Will preview it tonight and see how I feel about it. Tabatacise was fun. If it comes up again going to try it with the rebounder just to mix it up. Awesome workout today!!!!

Deb...she has 4 Live Fit Tower workouts now. I love the 3 previous ones and I am sure I will love this one. Saturday is Hardstrikes but thinking I will sub in this new Live FT workout. It is over an hour long! How do you like the FS Boxing? I know you are not a huge fan of kickboxing. I should look into those coffee shots. You mentioned before but I completely forgot about them. I love getting up early but that does not mean I am awake! I added to my wish list on Amazon so I will order them tomorrow and try them out. The post it’s are a great idea.

Judy...hope you and your husband are feeling better soon! So much is going around at work. I have been staying away from everyone.

Carolyn...good for you with the abs workout. I watched it once and I immediately knew I had no desire to do it. Even after reading it does get easier. Nope. Don’t care!! You girls amaze me with all your freezing. My poor husband is so deprived as I do none of that!

Valerie...great you decided on the new tower. I agree this makes complete sense.

Hi to Janet and Melanie!

Valerie, I have seen the squeeze tubes for other items with the screw on caps. I don't think I would put the lid back on. It seems wrapped or put inside a freezer bag would do the trick.

Lori, there is a premix on the dvd with a shorter time saver mix of Shred. I keep meaning to look at it and see which moves are in it. I think I have it up for tomorrow. I have my 3 year old grandson here tonight and am hoping I can get up and get it done before he wakes up in the morning. It is not one that I am looking forward to. I think it will be one that if it is not in a rotation, I will not do very often, like I do not do RWH Plyo on the step one very often. It is funny because I am getting higher heart rates for cardio than I did with Polar now, but less calories. I guess it is the way the devices work. The rebounder would probably be fun for some of tabatacise.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. Took a rest day.

Judy, I hope you and Chris feel better soon. He sounds like he got the worst of it. If he is not better in a day or so, make sure he sees a doctor. This whole flu thing is scary. The STOK are meant to be added to a caffeinated drink to up the caffeine, but for my purpose, I just drank them as is to get the effects of having a cup of coffee before a workout, without having to brew it etc. What is the LIVE version of Muscle Endurance called? I did not know there was one.

Diane Sue, I found that even with the sticky part of a Post It, I still had to use Scotch tape because the glue from the tape would not hold up after being frozen. Yes, I use the Polar HRM for the workout....I use it all the time. I don't like the Fit Bit one...it is usually way lower than the Polar. Funny you got over 1400 steps doing KCM's KB workout....:). Probably all the arm swings with the KB. Good job on the Bonus Abs. I didn't see that there was a shorter premix of Shred Cardio. I need to look at that the next time is it up on the rotation.

Valerie, I sometimes use the Tower bar if Cathe is doing a lot of push ups at once, same concept as you do with the step. I can lower it or make it higher so the push ups are easier or harder. Is the juicer attachment part of a blender or food processor? I have both but neither has a juicer attachment. Great that you got the new computer.

Carolyn, great that you are sticking with the Bonus Abs....I need to do that too. Maybe it would get easier.

Lori, that was a good premix that you made. I actually liked the FS boxing. Not too complicated...which makes it fun.

Hi to Janet & Melanie.:)

We are leaving for Erie, Pa this afternoon. We will be back late Sunday. I may not be able to check in....if someone feels like it, you can start the new thread on Sunday...Wish me luck! Trying to get 2 more legs towards Kylee's title in obedience. :)

Take care,

Good morning! I haven’t had time to write but I have been reading every post and I am learning so much! I need to freeze food and work on advance food prep with this new schedule.

I use a Polar HRM and I love it! I use their activity tracker as well.

I will post more this weekend. Thank you all! I am so glad I found this group! I appreciate all the advice and encouragement. [emoji175]

Janet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deb, maybe I move my feet more with Kellys kettlebell kickbox. I do try to move extra. I am always surprised at steps forcsome workouts like abs. The Fit Bit is pretty much guaranteed to be lower on workouts. It is never higher. The timesaver shred cardio mix is 16:23 minutes and the first 6 combos.
Good luck with Kylee.

Janet, getting things prepared in advance really helps. I liked using my Polar Bluetooth tracker with the Polar app, but it would lose its tracking and go to 0 or have me at 228 or some other high number at times. I gotvtired of dealing with it an Polar. Itvtakes them weeks to respond.

Deb-Chris is really congested but he doesn't have a fever and seems to feel better. I'll keep an eye on him and make sure he gets to the doctor or urgent care if he gets worse. I just looked through the Live workouts-I didn't find Muscle Endurance but I found 2 Muscle Max Lives, 1 with the step and 1 without. Good luck this weekend!

Lori-I think Chris picked this up at work. Everyone is sick around here. I watched the Fit Tower Live workout and it looks great! I think I will do it this weekend too.

Diane Sue-I used to take oregano oil when I worked at the health food store. I should probably go out and get some today. Olive Leaf Extract is good one too. I used to drink meltdown and some of the other energy drinks too.

Valerie-I know what you mean and I agree about viruses being everywhere. I think Chris picked something up at work. I use hand sanitizer all the time, and I will try to get him in the habit of using it too.

Carolyn-I'm going have to revisit the Fit Split Ab Bonus. I didn't think I wanted to do it, but maybe I should give it a try.

Hi to Janet & Melanie!

Judy

Today's workout was Fit Split Shred, 30 minutes, 222 calories, heart rate average 143 average, 171 max heart rate(Polar watch said 142/226 go figure) I also did the Fit Split Bonus abs that are on tomorrow with pull because my arms are too tired after pull for the abs. It was much better doing it today. Abs was 13 minutes, heart rate 115 average, max 145 , 56 calories. Total time was 43 minutes, 278. I have my 3 year old grandson here this morning and wanted to get done :) The rotation had the option for Shred double. There is no way I think I will do that. There is a shorter premix that is the first 6 combos, but that is the most of the leaping onto and off of the step. There is one segment in the other half of the workout. It is pretty much all high impact. Starting with squat thrust push ups jump onto the step. I don't know if I will ever love that one. So far my steps today are 3,853. I can't believe I have a black eye. I bent over Wednesday to get a cord form my granddaughter to pulg in her iphone and smacked my head on the corner of a table right on the corner of my eyebrow. It just was puffy on day one. Now the bruising has run down along the side of my nose. It is embarrassing. My granddaughter, was like Nana, did you just hit your head? I should have iced it but her and her boyfriend was here and I just didn't think it would matter.

Judy, I think I got the last virus from my family who gathers together. A lot of us were going through the same thing. When my husband worked in the schools it seemed we picked up a lot of stuff and the same went with me when I did daycare. I wipe the cart handles and stuff when I go in stores now. I think I saw some oregano oil with olive leaf extract.

I've settled on a different thing for the caffeine boost. a bottle of Cold Brew coffee. there are some shelf stable brands, and also some in the refrigerator case. lots of brands and sizes. some have milks or sweetener added.... but there are plain "black coffee" cold brews. I can add a little to my regular coffee, or mix with non fat milk. hot or cold. the "open" container dating is good for the black coffee, so the ones I've used stay for weeks. refrigerate after opening. you pour out as much as you want. I've tried a couple brands and all were good. I never found a good source for STOK unless I wanted to buy a lot. I like cold brew hot or cold and always have a bottle in the frig now.

I did a slightly shortened spin yesterday. 40 minutes. my niece called and I wanted to talk... so I jumped off early.

It is HARD to avoid cold viruses when they are everywhere. we have fewer colds now that neither of us are exposed to dozens at work. kids always have colds. I used to rub my face and nose unconsciously. I think I have broken the habit which helps a lot too. most viruses need some kind of direct contact to transmit between people. more later.
ETA diane sue sorry you have a black eye. break out the wraparound sunglasses and heavy make up.
It's good to have new people here.. new ideas and perspectives.

Last edited:
Today I did Fit Split Mixed Impact Cardio which was 29 minutes. My average heart rate was 125 and maximum heart rate 149. I burned 191 calories during the workout.

Deb, enjoy your weekend away. I like using the band during Bonus Abs which makes the moves feel different to me.

Diane Sue, that’s terrible about bumping your head. I have done that and I know how much it hurts. I would never do the double it option for Shred Cardio either. I step up instead of jumping up on the step but I use 2 risers on each side to keep the intensity.

Valerie, I think that short workouts are good sometimes. It keeps the body guessing. Talking with your niece was a good reason to stop.

Lori, great job with Tabatacise. I haven’t done that one much. I’m curious to hear your thoughts on Shred Cardio.

Judy, it took me a couple of times doing Bonus Abs to decide how I feel about it. It is definitely a different type of Ab workout. It’s funny, KCM has a similar piston move in Build and Burn Cardio Core.

Janet, this group is very motivating. I am glad that I joined it too.

Have a good afternoon.

Today I did the warm-up from 4 DS Kickbox, then Muscle Meltdown Triceps, To The Mat Bands & Floor Only Premix, and the bonus abs from Fit Tower Advanced. Total time was 73 minutes and calories burned was 209. I expected it to be low since most of the workout was on the floor and my heart rate did not get that high. To The Mat is tough, and one that I need to do more often. I will be feeling it tomorrow.

Diane Sue-I'm really sorry about your black eye :( I went to Fresh Thyme this morning and picked up some Solaray Oregano Oil Complete and Barleans Olive Leaf Extract. They had a nice selection of immune support products and their prices aren't too bad.

Good evening ladies,

I have read so many times that the cueing is off but I was fine and had no issues with Cardio Shred this morning. I only used 1 riser and that was plenty for me. Like Diane Sue, I do not see me doing this workout outside of the rotation. It was a great workout just not a favorite. I loved the Push workout!

Deb...wish you luck in PA!!! Go Kylee!!!!!!!

Judy...I really thought there was a live ME. Perhaps I was thinking of something else. I will look thru the live to see what I was thinking. I am curious now. Hoping Chris is feeling better soon.

Diane Sue...I would NEVER do a double of Shred. It was ok but not a favorite. Oh no! A black eye!!! Good thing it did not hit your eye! Ouch!

Valerie...a 40 min spin is a full workout in my book!!!

Carolyn...good for you with 2 risers! I was never huge step fan and would use 2 risers and would be miserable. Once I went to 1 riser I was a little happier!

Hi to Janet and Melanie!

Lori, don’t be impressed with me using two risers. I only do that for stepping up and off the sides or other moves where I don’t jump. I alternate between using one riser and using two during Shred Cardio. I don’t use two with regular step workouts and some days I don’t use any—just the 4” platform.

I made the Spanish Chicken and Cauliflower Skillet from my Whole 30 Fast and Easy cookbook tonight. It was really good. I did not leave all of the bacon grease in the pan as suggested. I just put in a couple of tablespoons. I use whole 30 approved bacon without nitrates or sugar. I also used black olives instead of pimento stuffed green olives which I do not care for. I don't think a lot of my family would care for it because all of the red bell peppers in it, but I will make it again for myself.
I looked up some stuff on Fit Bit reading others asking about the differences in calorie burns on the it. They answered saying that if you are doing a workout and do not choose a specific one the Fit Bit figures your calories by your usual step patterns and heart rate. If it is something that does not have a lot of steps it won't pick it up right. So, I will see. I did follow the suggestion to go into the dashboard and my Fit Bit and find the heart rate under my profile stuff and turn it off then sync the Fit Bit, turn it back on (suggested auto) and sync again. I will see how that works. They also suggested if that does not work it says to go to someplace and put custom settings. They only thing like that that I said was heart rate average and max. I don't know how customizing that would work or what one would be putting in it as I don't no what the defaults are.

Valerie, I love cold brew coffee. I usually purchase Chameleon cold brew when I buy it. I buy the large bottle of flavored but no sweetener or cream/milks in it. I have made my own, but it seems like a lot of work and takes up pretty much a whole bag of coffee to make the concentrate. From what I understand it has a lot less acidity. I might look a little silly going inside a store in winter with sunglasses. I did not go out today. I put on several layers of concealer. My husband said to match my eye shadow in that area. That won't work since it moved from the center of my eye to the inside corner and bridge of my nose. Otherwise an eggplant shadow might have blended it in a bit.

Carolyn, my family teases me because I am always hurting myself. One time I put a can on top of the refrigerator, turned to get something and opened it and the can came down and hit my right in the middle of my forehead. I have a 1 inch scar where it split my head. I was by myself. It is just a white line now. I had a hard time covering that one up and my husband wasn't around. My daughter noticed it right away even though I had makeup on it. I have used the step with two risers twice and with one riser twice now on Cardio Shred. I did some of it without jumps and some with the first time. The last two times I have been able to pretty much do it as is. I used 1 riser today because my knees didn't feel right with two the last time. I prefer the way Kelly does the Piston move. I feel like I am tilting to one side when I am doing it. Maybe I am still doing it wrong. The first time I was just trying to get into it and was alternating sides throughout.

Lori, it seems I noticed one of the workouts cuing off as I was just getting over doing one thing and all of the sudden she is doing something else by the time I got up and look at the screen. I haven't had it really bother me though. I think 1 riser is best for me with Cardio Shred. I like the Push workout. The length of these is nice. That lower workout at the end is a good one. I like the addition of calves. I always feel everyone tends to skip that area. I was thinking when I did Shred today, that I would probably have liked all of that jumping when I was younger and things were all working well. :) I see some that love the workouts and I figure they are probably not 65 years old or are lucky enough to have really healthy joints.

Today I started with Kelly Coffey Live Amped Up Cardio workout 2, 30 minutes, 230 calories, average heart rate 129, max 164, 2,203 steps . I then did Fit Split Pull only timesaver, 42 minutes, heart rate average 107, max 144, 209 calories, 966 steps. Total time was 72 minutes, calories burned 439.
Fit Split Split Pull weights
one arm rows 30# x 12, 10,10 reps
pull overs on stability ball 112# dbs x 8,6,6 reps done slow
overhand row with 15# dumbbells and med loop x 10,10,10 reps
Deadlifts 45# barbell x 10, 10 reps
upright row 35# barbell 10,8,8 reps superset with rear delt flys 12# dbs x 10,8,8 reps
lateral raise 8# dbs 10,8,8 reps superset with external rotation 5# dbs x 10,6,6 reps
giant set-
barbell curls 35# 10,8,6 reps
w curls 15#,12#,12# dumbbells 10,8,6 reps
sweeper curls 15# dbs 10,8,6 reps
Hamstring roll ins with stability ball approximately 86 reps
regular 16,16, toes turned out 16, 4 count lift 10?, roll in pulse 7 4 times

Good afternoon ladies,

On the rotation was Hardstrikes. I almost subbed in a Live Boxing but decided to stay with HS. So glad I did. Loved it and felt like I was visiting an old friend. :). I always liked the music in Xtrain. The sound-a-likes did not bother me at all. I did not do the conditioning as I wanted to do the new live FT workout. Wow! What a great workout. Some moves were new and the music was fun. It felt very fresh and it was tough. I wondered how she would be able to create different workouts so they all did not feel the same. She did a great job with this one! 92 mins / 564 cal.

Diane Sue...that dish sounds delicious. I always by nitrate free bacon and sandwich meat when I do purchase them. I have prescription sunglasses and sometimes on a bright day I forget my clear glasses and will go in the stores wearing my sunglasses. People sometimes stair but I forget my glasses so frequently it does not bother me anymore! I am feeling the pushwork out today. When doing HS I put my hand weights down to take it easy with my upper body. I feel I still got a great workout without the weights. I punched really hard nd aggressive to make up for it. I really felt my core working hard in this one.

Judy...I went looking for it and did not see it either. I need to look to see what I was thinking.

Hope everyone has a great day!!!!!

Today I did Low Impact Cardio and Metabolic Conditioning. My time was 50 minutes with 254 calories burned. My average heart rate was 115 and maximum heart rate 140. I wasn’t feeling very energetic this morning and my calories were lower than the last time that I did this workout. I looked back in my logbook and saw that I burned 291 calories the last time. I’m just glad that I got it done.

Hello to everyone and have a good day.

Lori, I sometimes like using light dumbbells when I am doing kickboxing instead of weighted gloves for the same reason. I can put them down when I feel I need to. That way I am not pausing to put gloves on and take them off. Hard Strikes is a good one. I feel like I get lower and upper body well in that one instead of like some workouts are more devoted to boxing. Maybe one day soon Cathe will put out some more Fit Tower dvds. I hope that the live workouts are not the only ones we will get. I do need to do that again. When I purchase bacon and hot dogs etc. at Walmart , I purchase nitrate free. I pretty much only eat the bacon or sometimes sausage (preference is Applegate chicken and apple) . When I shop at Sprouts I buy Pederson Farms whole 30 approved or Garrett bacon.

Carolyn, I have seen some variations this week on my calorie burns. I had more energy this week on the Shred workout, except my low back hurt this morning. On the weights I have lowered a bit on some moves. Today I used Cathe's weight on the deadlifts and had my knees bent a bit while not going as low. I didn't want to push my low back that much. I like being able to refer back through my logs and see what I did before. I see that I have Shred two days in a row on the schedule for this last week. I realized today that I will have been through these 5 times because I did not start the rotation till after I got the rotation and downloads. It seems I am starting every week with the Low Impact Metabolic workout.

Last edited:
Deb I don't remember if I answered about the citrus juicer. I have an old small Cuisinart, discontinued model now. It came with an add on juicer with 3 different citrus reamers for lemons, limes, oranges. it fits on the center post, uses the regular bowl. I would not buy a special appliance. it isn't worth using it for one or two limes when you have a whole bag, it's terrific. we rip thru 30 limes in a half an hour. this was from when food processors came with a dozen different blades and add- ons.

I did the harder cardio 2 of LIS using 2 risers. slowed it to 80% for a couple moves so my feet don't tangle up. then ab workout from Ab circuits, part of STS. didn't like it especially. there are about 7 on there so will try others. I like the abs from High Reps best, but I've done it a lot and want to try a new one. .
Everyone... Is there an ab workout you especially like? I have Coremax but used it until I got tired of it. I wasn't always careful about looking at disks for bonus ab sections so maybe I have other good ab sections I don't know about.
so I know coremax, ab circuits, and butts and guts but I guess there may be more?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.