Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/21

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

No workout yesterday, agility class though, so at least I was moving. :). I am in a quandary about what to do starting today with a new rotation. Nothing really "hits me". I want to continue using the Fit Spit workouts, but need something to go with them. I am not that much of a fan of xTrain...I like the weight work, but not the cardio that much. I may look at the RWHIT /Fit Spit rotation, although when I first looked at it, I thought it looked pretty tough. The play was great last night. Has anyone seen this before? ( Mama Mia)?

Janet, so glad that Mr. LInus is doing better and has his appetite back. (my first name is Deb).

Valerie, good that you discovered that function that allows you to make the font/type on the computer larger or smaller. I use it all the time to make things larger. If you click on a screen for example, hold the control key down, and use the wheel on the mouse, you can make the print on the screen larger or smaller. I need to look for a good roasted vegetable recipe.

Carolyn, nothing more frustrating than going through the whole hair routine and not being happy with the results. :(. A sheet pan dinner sounds great....another thing I should try.

Lori, great workout combo and congratulations on using 2 -15 pound DB's! I have started to use 2, but right now am using 8's. I think it depends on the shape of the DB...if they have the squared ends, they are a lot easier to keep together...the round ones are not! I didn't remember that you did not pre-order Build & Burn when KCM put it out.

Diane Sue, Just curious....why did you do Cardio Shred, but itself, then Push (without the w/u)? Isn't that the main workout?

Melanie, it sounds like you had a very busy time away and you are going away agai? Safe travels home!

Hi to Judy!

Take care,

Deb, I thought the Ripped with Hiit It Split rotation looked pretty tough. Could ypu work out something with Ice or, Fit Tower, or the Low Impact series and Fit Split? I separated the workouts to see how the outcome was for calorie burn that way versus the two combined with my Fit Bit. The Calorie burn was somewhat higher than the last time I did this one with them as a whole. Fitbit just does not monitor weight work well. Combining them it lowers the average heart rate substantially. It was more of a curiosity thing. I dont know that I will do it all of the time though.

Deb that mess is my old computer. not faring well getting Win 7 updates. DH had increased the screen from 100% to 125% and didn't mention it. with all the other problems, I didn't realize I only had to size it back down. it is unable to open most email and I get security alerts on everything. we are having a fup monday from Microsoft. we will see if we can get Win 10 at a discount because they are not able to get this working at all. if we have to pay the full $120 I may buy a new system instead of putting money into a 6 yo computer. my screen, keyboard, speakers are fine so would only need the tower.
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/262156/roasted-salmon-rice-bowl-with-beets-brussels/print/ this was the sheet pan recipe I did to try the beets. It's a basic recipe, think you could use most vegies nd I only tried one beet, and threw in chopped butternut squash instead. It was easy and tasty. I like salmon but DH doesn't so I thought this was a way to have salmon but not have a strong smell as it roasts with the vegies. He hates the smell and this camoflaged it nicely. I used a wild rice package blend. I will skip the seasoning packet that comes with it
diane sue maybe that's why I liked this beet!. didn't taste too beet-ish. I thought it was good and didn't get the red color bleeding all over everything else.
I did total body metabolic yesterday. forgetting if I posted that. dinner out today so need to work out earlier.

We are watching some interesting series. one called Peaky Blinders that has several seasons. we saw it several years ago but now some more seasons are available so we rewatching the first part. I'm not sure if it's Netflix or Prime. Irish/British, turn on the subtitles! some characters easy to understand, others not so much. good story. neither of us followed the story very well the first time. whole lot of f-bombs in the dialogue so if this is offensive to you, skip it. started one called the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. 1950's to '60s New York Jewish community. only saw a few episodes but it is a hoot! unlike anything I've seen before. they capture the attitudes and fashion from the '50's that I remember. I went to school, close friends with lots of jewish kids so this is a revisit to childhood. Also watching This is Us. it's a TV series but better than I expected. Netflix DVDs for this one. I usually don't watch much from regular TV but this is decent.

Carolyn the bad hair day is rough. you don't realize how much you depend on who does your hair until they aren't there! I'm reminded of a perm I got once...OMG I drove home, realized it made me look older than my mother... and kind of like her, but not in a good way. I begged to get back in and had the whole thing undone the next day. luckily my hair survived.

Good afternoon ladies,

This morning was BBS Trampoline Cardio DVD. I only did a cardio premix. Do not want to do any strength while I am doing this rotation. I have plenty of weight workouts during the week. 48 mins / 445 cal. Tomorrow is Cardio Leg Blast. Been ages since I have done this workout and I am looking forward to it.

Deb...sometimes I follow along a rotation but sub in cardio of choice instead of what the cardio workout is for the day. Perhaps you can choose the FS / Xtrain rotation for the strength then pick a live workout you like for cardio days. This actually sounds like fun now that I think of it! I did like Xtrain and the rotation when it first came out. That was about the time I joined this group. In mexico the hotel we stay at has a little theater and we saw mama mia there. It was fun.

Valerie...thanks for the tv series suggestions. I have heard of That is Us but not the other. Going to check it out. Right now we are enjoying really old tv shows. If you remember a couple years back I watched all 1,245 episodes of Dark Shadows! I am watching Lost in Space when I can and half way through the series. My husband and I started watching Get Smart this week. We are cracking up with this series! Just fun to watch. We are goofy like that. We like the old stuff. I also have all the episodes of F Troop. I buy the dvd’s on ebay. Once we get thru the shows we have then it is on to Green Acres and I Dream of Jeannie! Lol!

Caroyln....once I had my hair cut and the girl for some reason cut my bangs way to short. They were half way up my forehead. I asked her what the heck she was thinking? It was only a few years ago so I was early 50’s and looked ridiculous. Fortunately, my hair grows quick so before long the bangs grew enough to be acceptable.

Diane Sue...I have not done Cardio Shred yet or the push/pull workouts. Looking forward to them. I thought the RWH / FS looked tough too. At some point I would like to revisit the RWH workouts and to see what I think after it has been a while.

Judy...after hearing everyone’s reviews on the new KCM and 2lazy4gym overview I kind of thought well maybe. Then seeing it for $26 I figured why not! Hoping if I do them as a rotation then I will actually use them. I find I do her workouts once or twice then I never select them. I like them but I have so many choices. Perhaps this set will change my mind.

Melanie...great keeping up with your workouts while traveling. I always try to fit them in when I can. When we drive to the Cape for weekend getaways or to our timeshare I always load up with workouts, plus bring my rebounder! Your description of your puppy is hilarious. We just went thru that last year. You have a Chihuahua! We do too and love her to pieces. She is 17.5 years old. She is slowing down though and we will be faced with a decision not to far in the future. :(

Hi to Janet!

Today is another rest day for me—sort of. I did WS3 Deep Stretch this morning for 30 minutes. I think of stretches like this or gentle relaxing yoga as part of my rest.

Deb, even Cathe mentioned that Fit Split/RWH is a tough rotation. She posted it in the new workouts thread before the user guide was ready. Lori’s suggestion to use it for the weight workouts and add other cardio that you like is a good one. I am trying to do at least one more week of Fit Split rotation to get a good feel for the workouts. The way that the rotation is arranged seems to gradually move toward doing the full cardio and weights on the same day.

Lori, great price on the preorder for Build and Burn. I like the workouts and they are short enough to pair with something else. I like to watch old television shows too occasionally. My husband likes westerns on a cable channel that carries them and I will sometimes watch with him. They make me think of watching television when we were young.

Valerie, I love This is Us. I haven’t watched it in a while but it’s a really good show. It can be a real tear jerker but in a good way. I have also heard good things about the Marvelous Mrs Maisel.

Hello to Diane Sue, Judy, Melanie, and Janet.

Today was family day and when I came home I cleaned up leaves since it was 60 degrees and did not want to miss the chance with warm temps. Then I stained the last shelves and molding for the second closet in our add on room. It will be nice to be able to clean up and put things away in there.

Melanie, I bet you will be glad when you are home and settled back in to your routine. Getting any workouts done when you are away is probably plenty. It is hard to schedule those things around activities away from home.

Valerie, my Windows 7 laptop is working fine. It did have an update recently and had a problem with one file. I had to update it several times before it finally quit telling me one of the files wasn't updated. What I find odd is that Google was not showing the workout icons on the workout manager, but they work on IE. But, IE makes me log in to Cathe all of the time and I cannot log direct in to workout manager. I have to log in to the forums to get onto Workout manager. This does not happen on my Windows 8 laptop. Windows 8 works better with Google Chrome most of the time. That recipe would be good. I love salmon. I think I want some beets when I go to the store :) Funny thing is when they had beets and canned spinach in school I was the odd child that didn't send it back to go in the garbage. I wonder what they were thinking? Maybe they thought children would want spinach so they could be strong and have weird muscles like Popeye :)

Lori, I love it when I have a workout on my schedule that I am really looking forward to doing. I was looking forward to the Fit Split Boxing Bootcamp this last week and did the double it option. :) Fit Split is growing on me, but, I am still not sure about Shred. I can do it, but it makes my knees hurt a bit afterward. I think doing it the day after legs and glutes was probably not the best idea, plus those high and tight moves and front squats is taxing on the knees doing push. I would hate it if someone cut my bangs that short. I have had a few times where they were a little short, but not that short. We have went through old I dream of Jeanie shows and Green Acres. Lately we have went through some old Lucy Shows. It is nice to enjoy a show and get some laughs out of them and they are clean humor. Beverly Hill Billies is another funny one. I recently go Directvnow streaming and we have enjoyed more shows with it.

Carolyn, I like having a day where I just get in a nice relaxing stretch. I have heard that that one is a really good one. I am starting the 3rd week of Fit Split tomorrow. I will do all 4 weeks and then go from there.

Hi to Judy and Janet :)

Good morning,

Yesterday I did FS Low Impact Cardio + Metabolic Conditioning (Lori's premix), 44 minutes, 232 calories.

Diane Sue, Yes, the Ripped with FS rotation looks tough, but I don't do anything with "Plyo" in the name so will be subbing out that one for sure. I think I may have sold those on Ebay anyway. :). That will be nice when you are able to use the new room. Yes, I remember spinach being a very popular vegetable that was pushed on kids when I was young....probably why the Popeye theme about spinach came about. :). Like Lori mentioned, I like the old shows too....comedy without sex and foul language. I watched all 11 seasons of The Andy Griffith Show from the beginning. I was sad when I finished.

Valerie, I agree...you may be better off taking that money and using it towards a new computer. They come with WIN 10, and are so much faster etc. Did Microsoft charge you for those tech support calls? Did you use fresh herbs in that sheet pan recipe or dried? I checked out that series you are watching but unfortunately, it is not free on Prime. That was an awful experience with the perm....you were lucky they could fix it.

Lori, yes, that will be what I do with this rotation. I like it because it will be a mixture of different weight work, and I can always throw a Live cardio in here and there. The play was great, and I am really not a fan of Abba. I love the concept, they took the music, and developed the play from there. I remember you watching Dark Shadows. :). That was during my Andy Griffith marathon.

Carolyn, agree on the FS rotation. I have done a couple of the workouts with the full cardio and weight work and that is tough too. I really like the premixes where you can do the weights first.

Hi to Judy, Melanie, and Janet..

Puppy class this morning...so much fun. :)

Take care,

Deb there was no charge for the tech calls. DH’s system updated fine but mine is not doing well. Computers are close in age . if they give me a discounted price I will go to 10 on it but won’t pay $120. Will go to a new system instead.
Is Mamma Mia the Meryl Streep movie where daughter is trying to sort out who her real father is and she brings all the possibles together? The movie was fun. one of the only musicals I ever enjoyed.
I used a sprig of fresh rosemary and some fresh basil. dry would be fine. I have a rosemary plant on the deck. The store sells tiny fresh basil plants that last for a month or so, I used that. I love fresh basil but dry would work fine I used fresh lemon slices to help tone down the salmon scent. Working hard to help DH enjoy this. laid the lemon slices across the top of the salmon.

I remember the school lunch vegetables. yeah, slimy spinach. it's so good when made right, or fresh. some of those old methods made people vegetable haters for life. they used to give us pickled beets. Ugh. I don't like anything pickled, even pickles. there are usually better ways to prepare things if you experiment a little. I think I've said before that I hated winter squash until I tasted it without a boatload of sugar and butter, or worse... marshmallows. I love it now but with onions and hotter spices.

I didn't watched tv much for big chunks of time so haven’t seen many old shows. I hated the “laugh track” or the overbearing music. Still, good writing holds up over time. Would watch MTM or All in the Family era if I found them. Never watched most of the other oldies. Gun smoke and Bonanza. ??Never watched soaps.

Did 20 on the elliptical and abs from High reps yesterday.birthday celebration later for cousin.

Last edited:
Today I did Fit Split Boxing Bootcamp and Legs and Glutes. That was 57 minutes with 357 calories burned. My average heart rate was 123 and maximum heart rate 157. I am on week 3 of the Fit Split rotation.

Yesterday my brother gave me his old 55” flat screen smart television and Blu-ray player. He brought it over and set everything thing up. While it’s not a new television it is so much better than our old one. He has TVs in several rooms and he just bought a 75” screen that he put up where this one was hanging. I sent a picture of our “new” tv to my youngest daughter and she is thrilled. She always complains when she is home about the quality of the picture and not being able to play the movies on Blu-ray. My brother heard an earful when they watched movies during the holidays. I was fine with the setup that we had because everything worked for me. This morning I had to use the new player but I only had one small problem which was my error.

Hello to everyone and have a great day.

Just a quick and to share this picture of my little Nilla. She was not feeling well yesterday and this morning she fell asleep in my arms while I was having my coffee. Needless to say no work out and I let her stay nice and comfy until I had to get going for work. I hope to workout tonight if not then today will be a rest day. I will come back later to read posts. :)

Attachments

• Nilla.jpg
    Nilla.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 11
Today's workout was Fit Split Low Impact/ Metabolic workout, 58 minutes (had to pause to write and get something for dh so I went back and restarted the segment that I was on) 359 calories, average heart rate 118, max 177, 2,250 steps. I then did YouTube Sarah Beth Yoga 30 minutes , sciatica, 29 minutes, 48 calories. This one felt really good on my low back and hips. Total time was 87 minutes, calories 407.

Deb, nice work today. I did not do Lori's edited today. I wanted to see what was missing. After I got to the weight part and looked at my workout sheet I wondered why I did not write some of the moves down then I had the duh moment that I did not do those moves last time. I could have probably just looked at the worksheet. I did burn more calories with those moves in it. I had to be careful though. My low back and right hip has been giving me problems since I started these workouts. I need to take note of which days make it worse. Although I did not workout yesterday and it hurt when I got up this morning. I have been trying some more specific to the area yoga lately to try to help. Have fun with puppy class. :)

Valerie, I used to use frozen spinach and made spinach balls that had some egg and parmesan cheese and baked them and my children loved them. It was a way to get them to eat it :) I think I am more picky about what I eat than I was when I was younger though. But then my family did not use a lot of pre-packaged stuff. There was the butter and brown sugar squash thing though. I ate it like my mother who liked it with salt and pepper when she would bake acorn squash. I prefer my yellow veggies with some garlic and onion. Sweet potatoes as well. Pumpkin soups are good as long as they are not sweet. Why is that even cartons of butternut squash soup is sweet and has things like cinnamon in them. I have tried them and been so disappointed and couldn't eat all of it. I have a can of pickled beets in my pantry that I may as well throw out. I purchased pickled by accident. No one is going to eat those. I love dill pickles.

Carolyn, I have that workout on schedule Wednesday. That is great that your brother gave you that tv and blu ray player. It is great that it is a smart tv.

Last edited:
Hello Ladies! I am back again. Ended up not working out. Looking at my Apple Watch my last rest day was 12 days ago on Jan 10th. I am due!

Carolyn....that is great your brother gave you that TV. Very nice. And set it up for you too! We are like your brother and have tvs everywhere. We even have one in our bathroom. :D

Deb...how did you like the premix? Hoping you loved it! We have watched the Andy Griffith show several times too! I forgot we have MTM and All in the Family too. I think Valerie mentioned these. We have Soap too. Yes clean fun! I am not a huge alba fan but it works for mama mia.

Valerie...yes that is the mama mia movie. I think they are doing a sequel. I could be wrong but thought I heard this.

Diane Sue...my bangs were horrible! I had posted a picture on FB and received a lot of comments! Fortunately, I did not have to live with them too long. I loved your duh moment. Too funny!!

Hi to Judy, Melanie and Janet!

Lori, you were definitely due for a rest day :) I try to take 1 rest day a week for sure unless I have an impending vacation coming up where I will have rest days anyway.
I don't blame you for just cuddling Nilla. Too sweet!!

Good morning,

Yesterday I did R/W/Hiit Low Impact Hiit, 30 minutes, 172 calories.

Valerie, I hope it turns out well with your computer. I never saw that movie, but yes, that is the plot of the play. It was amazing. Good to know that the recipe can use dried herbs.

Carolyn, that's great that your brother gave you the television and player! ...and that he set it all up for you. :). Is this the television you will do your workouts with?

Lori, little Nilla, so sweet! Of course you let her stay in your lap and sleep! Definitely good to take a rest day after 12 days. I have used the edited version twice now and really like it.

Diane Sue, I hope your hip etc is better. I think all the up and down moves are not good for that kind of thing. Lori's is great for that.

Hi to Judy, Janet & Melanie

A workout, then class this morning with Kylee...

Take care,

Deb, RWH low impact os a workout that I enjoy.. i can really feel all of those up and down movements. I should have done Lori's version for sure. I try to go down to the floor and get back up with knees bent, and take a bit longer. I think part of my problem is my hip flexor area pulling. I am working in more stretching. I can always tell when I let up on it.

I believe today is Fit Split mixed impact and bonus abs. I have to go to the store and get things for family dinner. My grandson 7 requested tacos. I usually make a salad with tacos and use the taco meat on top. I may make the ground turkey version from the Fixate cookbook along with the beef version. I am working on my diet to try to cut out a bit of the fats. My problem is that when I do that I sometimes dont get enough calories and find myself yhrowing in a bed time snack somI dont lose too much weight. Any ideas for marking freezer containers? I am getting enough items in my freezer that I have cooked up , that sometimes it is a surprise when I thaw it out.

Good Morning,
Today I did Fit Split Push Day for 39 minutes and 151 calories burned. My average heart rate was 116 and maximum heart rate 165. My stats are a bit off today because I accidentally stopped the Fitbit instead of pausing it. I had to start it again as a new workout.

Deb, Low Impact is a good RWH workout. It’s one that I have used quite a bit. Yes, the new television is the one that I use for my workouts.

Lori, good for you taking a rest day. My brother works in the computer industry and he loves tech. He is also a television fanatic and wants the biggest and latest for watching sports and movies.

Diane Sue, I have tight hip flexors too which is one reason I try to work in some longer stretches or yoga. I think the up and down movements in the series is hard on my back and knees. I will do a couple of squat thrusts then I modify by not going down to the floor. Going up and down repeatedly also makes me dizzy.

Hello to Valerie, Judy, Janet, and Melanie. Enjoy your day everyone.

Nice brother to have! We are not very tech oriented. never bothered with blue ray, still using our old dvd players. we don't watch sports, gaming, or "special effects" movies so most of the technical "advances "are not noticeable for us.

we did a 2 hr mt bike yesterday at a new section of the tree farm. no maps at all for this section so will take a while to see if it's worth it. we have a few circuits worked out in the regular riding area. it gets more use. it isn't as easy if no road has a name or number. you need to be sure you can get back to where you parked. this morning we headed off to xc ski but weather pooped out almost instantly, and the snow was very nasty with a breakable rain crust. we went about 100 yeards and decided to bail. so need to do something later today.

I mark containers with a sharpie. I even use sharpies on foil wrapping. if the foil is dry it works fine.
Deb, I can't tell much difference between fresh and dried herbs except basil. I love fresh and I thought the fragrance would help DH get past the salmon scent. I don't think salmon smells bad but he does. I enjoyed the Mama Mia movie, which was a surprise since it was more or less a musical and I usually don't like musicals.

Ha ha ...as you can probablt tell, I was very impressed with what squash really tasted like. I try to be open minded about other things. the right seasoning for YOU makes such a difference. I never liked pickled things. I finally got smart enough to not blame the vegetable, and to try it in other ways.

Oh Lori... Nilla is just adorable. hard to believe she is that old.

Valerie....Nilla is 17.7 months. She is a cutie. Her face used to be tan like her body with a white line down her nose. Her face is so white now the line is long gone! She has had epilespy since she was 5, thyroid issues at 7 and was born with heart murmur. With all this against her -her doctors are amazed she is still with us. :).

Hi Everyone,

Sunday I did an hour of yoga, 30 minutes of Jessica Smith's Gentle Yoga and a Yoga Relax Premix. It was a good combination. My low back had been tight and the yoga and stretching really helped. Yesterday I did a longer indoor ride, 1 hour and 40 minutes. For the ride I did about 30 minutes of high intensity intervals then the rest was easy aerobic base. Today I did an old favorite of mine, Muscle Endurance.

Deb-The RWH/FS rotation looks good.. I might have to look at that one, even though I'm not a big fan of RWH. I should probably give it another try.

Lori-Nilla is so sweet! You have taken very good care of her and it shows. You definitely earned a rest day after working out 12 days in a row!

Valerie-Great job with the mountain biking!

Diane Sue-I'm sorry about your hip and low back. I've been having some minor issues with my low back again too. Yoga seemed to help so I may do it again tomorrow.

Carolyn-That's great that your brother gave you the tv and player! That sounds perfect for your workouts!

Hi to Melanie & Janet!

Judy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.