Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/21/2024

Not a good sleep night, unless you count how well I slept from 3-7. LOL Opted to just do STS 2 Total Body Stretch. Sunshine here today! Hopefully will clear the road of the last of its snow. Clear in front of our house, but we aren't an area that's open to drifting.

Judy great job with Total Body Barbell.

Diane Sue nice job with Raw Box 4 Your Waistline.

Valerie glad to hear how well your PT session went. The dinosaur phase for Nick actually hindered his learning to read. He had a huge dinosaur encyclopedia that showed all the dinosaurs, location, habitat etc. By the time he was 4 he had memorized a ton of dinosaur names, continents, habitats and could "read" them. When I tried to teach him to read, he just wanted to memorize things, and that was not a good idea. I'd talked to enough people to know that as adults, those who learned to read by memorization read far less than those who had learned phonetically. So we dropped that for a couple years, and read a ton, dinosaur phase slowed and when we tried again it went much better.

Last edited:
some people have their favorite restaurant or bar. sigh...... I have my favorite PT place! and therapist! I didn't get sore from anything but I didn't do full number of reps on everything. hard to keep count. if its 3 sets of 15 and it isn't a hard move. your mind drifts and suddenly you realize you lost count long ago.

cathy funny you bring up phonics. I'm a good speller and good with words in general. DH is very smart but didn't learn things that way. he can't spell to save his life. he doesn't see how to break words into segments, and "sounding it out" that is so basic in grade school. he cant remember vowels/ consonants and the difference in how words are put together. its impossible to tell if this comes from poor instruction in grade school, or if he just doesn't do well with the topic. he is certainly smart but not in this area. I know there was controversy over "see and say"/ memorization, vs phonics. like your boys I was fascinated by dinosaurs and read everything I could but this is a long time ago and so much is new since then. I even tried a new course on paleontology but left it in MT by accident so didn't get too far. it was focusing on dating techniques when I left it. like carbon 14 dating etc. just ordered a new wall periodic chart of the elements for a review since there are plenty of rusty spots in my brain about chemistry.

rainy today so therapy plus indoor something.

I got a new pair of socks recently. they are thin double layer socks. the company is Wrightsocks. I love them. I always get blisters but if I try to wear two pairs of socks, the inner one won't stay up so I just deal with blisters. these are synthetic blend, thin, and made in two layers so nothing creeps out of place. $17 a pair . seems ridiculous for socks. DH loves them so we both have them now. they have all kinds of socks . double layer socks are not easy to find.

This morning I did my weekly Jane Adams Yoga/mobility.

Judy, thanks for starting the thread this week. Nice job with Total Body Barbell.

Diane Sue, nice job with Raw Box 4 Your Waistline. Have a wonderful family day today.

Cathy, nice job with STS 2 Total Body Stretch. Good choice for a morning after not getting enough sleep.

Valerie, it sounds like your PT is at just the right pace for a good recovery. Socks are expensive. I just bought some a few weeks ago.

Have a great afternoon everyone.

Today I did a 45 minute Peloton ride and a 10 minute stretch.

Cathy-I'm sorry about your sleep. Great job with STS 2 Total Body Stretch.

Valerie-Chris and have a few pair of Wrightsocks. They are expensive but worth it. We love them too.

Carolyn-Great job with Jane Adams Yoga/mobility.

Diane Sue-Great job with Raw Box 4 Your Waistline.

We got started looking for double layer socks before xmas because DH had some old ones that needed replacing and we couldnt find that kind anymore. came across these are are really happy with them. with both of you using them too I feel better about spending so much money on socks! I never could wear two socks because of the creep issue, so these are perfect. wish I'd found them years ago. Did a walk around our property this morning before rain started, 30 min and enough up and downhill. therapy took me over an hour. gotta shorten that up. maybe Im not understanding how many reps I need to do.

This morning I did the latest Cathe Live Low Impact Hiit and Active Recovery. I really liked it a lot, but it's definitely different. The active recovery mostly use the mat and most kept my heart rate in at least fat burning zone. Active planks, the Cossack squats where you move back and forth a few times, etc. Then I did STS Disk 16 Chest, Shoulders and Triceps. Was not smooth on my weight changes at times. And then when I went to do chest with the barbell, I accidentally added 10 lbs too much. That was NOT happening. LOL

Valerie I'm sure you'll figure out the PT soon. And I definitely hear you on zoning out when there's a lot of reps. Great job getting in the walk before the rain started. The weather people are all over today with the maybe a little freezing rain, maybe a little snow. The real potential for ice starts later. Ice I can most definitely do without. I can't imagine learning to read using whole word for all the reasons you mentioned, especially spelling and sounding out words. One of the reasons I love my kindle apps is that for words I've never come across before, I can get pronunciations and definitions. Though in some cases if you're reading historical stuff, you do NOT want to check the definition, because it's changed to something you really don't want to see! I've seen authors who write historical's say that they have some really interesting histories in their browsers. LOL

Carolyn nice job with the yoga.

Judy great job with the Peloton ride. Are you in for potential freezing rain there?

Hi Diane Sue!

I never could understand why there was any question about phonetics. isn't that how most people learn, break the "big thing" up into smaller units to accomplish, one by one? you dont look at a remodeling project or a math problem or a new recipe any differently. divide it up and work it piece by piece. I dont see why spelling or pronouncing words, especially bigger words, is any different. you sound out the pieces. anyway, I was well beyond that when there was some controversy about how to teach children to read. not having children I didn't watch too closely. Big projects always look "undoable" until chipped into bits and figure them out one by one. exercise is the same. long ride or hike looks impossible, but I always thought about it section by section, mile by mile. This topic gets brought up alot at WW too, for people facing large weight loss goals. maybe this is a "learned" process that starts with reading? I assumed everyone thought about things this way, but maybe not.

we are out of the winter like conditions but now its warmish and rainy. next week it will be really warm. looking forward to riding. temps are fine but its really been wet and will stay like that. I will ride here today if we get a break later this morning. so sorry you are all dealing with ice and freezing rain. there has been a lot of news coverage about Portland, OR and their frozen rain. they have had a bad stretch. we are further north but dont usually get the same thing here.

I go to therapy tomorrow and will be sore. I need to clarify the number of reps and sets. I always think of sets divided into reps. like 3 sets of 15 reps = 45 total reps to an exercise. for some things that is a lot and its easy to lose focus and forget where you are.

ha ha it got wetter today not drier, so I skipped cardio today and did my therapy in addition to some costco shopping. therapy appt again tomorrow to firm up some things after PT talks with my surgeon about what I can do and what I cant. .

Last edited:
Today I did JS One Mile of Motivation which was 15 minutes and 117 calories burned. My average heart rate was 138 and maximum heart rate was 152. Then I did STS 2 Chair Yoga. I had a night of interrupted sleep and was very low on energy today.

Judy, great job with the 45 minute Peloton ride and stretching.

Valerie, nice work with walking around your property and therapy exercises. It’s a good idea to get clarification on number of reps and sets for the exercises.

Cathy, nice job with Cathe Live Low Impact and Active Recovery.

Hello to Diane Sue.

Today I did CDorner Step # 353 70 & 80's tunes, stopping at 24 minutes, heart rate 124/153, 122 calories, 2,566 steps. I was not feeling real well and having a hard time keeping up with all of the move changes around the step. I then did CDorner 28 minute arms and abs, 33 minutes, 85 calories, heart rate 93/135. I finished with CDorener Relaxing Full Body Stretch "slow jams" 24 minutes, 37 calories. Total time was 81 minutes, 244 calories.

Today I did Live Cardio Boxing and Abs. Another one I liked a lot. Long bag segment. Schools are all closed today due to ice, any with backroads, may still be closed tomorrow, because snow on ice is really not good. We may hit 35 today and warmer tomorrow, so by Thursday everything should be fine. Our driveway is also ice, but should be fine by the time I need to get out Thursday.

Valerie hope your PT sessions is helpful is getting you clarity on how many reps to do. We are going to be warmer and rainy, too.

Diane Sue great job with CDorner Step, arms and abs and full body stretch.

Carolyn I hope you got more sleep last night. Nice job getting in JS One Mile of Motivation and Chair Yoga despite a bad night.

Judy I hope your area wasn't impacted, too much by the ice.

Yesterday I did a 45 minute Peloton ride, 25 minutes of rowing and 10 minutes of core work. Today I did Total Body Barbell and STS 2-Total Body Stretch.

Cathy-Great job with Live Low Impact Hiit and Active Recovery and Cardio Boxing and Abs. All of the schools around here are closed today but I’m not sure about tomorrow. We didn’t have to go anywhere today so I’m not sure how the roads are. I think we might have missed the worst of the ice, as the weather alert we were under was cancelled earlier today.

Carolyn-Great job with JS One Mile of Motivation and STS 2 Chair Yoga. I’m sorry about your sleep. I hope you were able to get more sleep last night.

Diane Sue-Great job with CDorner Step, Arms & Abs and Stretch. I’m sorry you weren’t feeling well. I hope you are feeling much better today.

Valerie-I hope your PT went well today.

Today I did Stacked Sets Upper Body for 38 minutes and 116 calories burned. My average heart rate was 102 and maximum heart rate was 123.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Step, arms and Abs, and stretch. I hope that you are feeling better today.

Cathy, nice job with Live Cardio Boxing and Abs.

Hello to Valerie and Judy.

Today I did Raw TBTS warm up with TBTS Box and Tone, 26 minutes, heart rate 134/162, 143 calories using 2# dumbbells. I then did TBTS Strength Lower Body 17 minutes, heart rate 104/128, 60 calories. I finished with CDorner's Total Body Mobility: Strong & Slow for Better movement, 27 minutes, 39 calories. Some of the moves were difficult. They are movement patterns done slow. Total time was 70 minutes, 242 calories, 2,510 steps. I am feeling better today. My husband is off this week and we are trying to get some things done before he has to go back to work.
Phonetics makes much more sense to me over memorization. They were using phonics and letter sounds and usage with my youngest grandson. I think most of the schools here used phonics and usage in different words around here. My children all loved reading as did my grandchildren. I took all of them to the library routinely and we read.
It was icy here one night and a little left the next morning, but temps got up to 40 today along with rain. I hope the forecast of 60's next week happens.

Valerie, a lot of things I did for therapy with my shoulder were timed with a timer. Like 3 minutes of door stretch with 10 second holds and repeats. When the timer went off I moved to the next thing.

Cathy, nice work on Live Cardio Boxing and abs.

Judy, nice work yesterday on the 45 minute Peloton ride, 25 minutes of rowing and 10 minutes of core work and today's Total Body Barbell and STS 2 Total Body Stretch. I did get more sleep last night.

Carolyn, good job on Stacked Sets Upper Body. I hate those nights of wakefulness. I hope you get some rest. It is hard to be motivated to do things without enough rest.

Today I did Cardio Quick Fix, workout two, which was 29 minutes and 219 calories burned. My average heart rate was 137, and maximum heart rate was 164.

Diane Sue, great job with TBTS warm up, Box and Tone, Strength Lower Body, and CDorner Total Body Mobility. I’m glad that you are feeling better.

Hello to Cathy, Valerie, and Judy.

Today I did STS Disk 17 legs and P30 Extended Stretch. I used the barbell for squats as it's easier for me than holding heavy dumbbells. That workout is tri sets. We're in melting mode here.

Diane Sue great job with Raw TBTS warm up with TBTS Box and Tone, TBTS Strength Lower Body and mobility. I hope you and your husband are able to accomplish everything on your list this week.

Carolyn nice job with Stacked Sets Upper Body and Cardio Quick Fix.

Judy great job with the Peloton ride, rowing and core, Total Body Barbell and STS 2-Total Body Stretch. Schools are all back open, but our trash is delayed by a day.

Hi Valerie.

did my therapy work early and then went to PT mid day. more work there . when I got home it was a little sunny-ish, or at least not rainng so we mt biked our neighborhood for another 45 minutes. next ride we will go to the tree farm and ride on gravel roads. a little harder but not much and no distraction from cars.

diane sue I brought it up with my therapist yesterday and she agreed that time is easier to keep track of than # of reps. especially on all these little contractions that need 45 reps. the video links all "count reps" but Id rather calculate the time and stop the annoying count that I always lose track of. a lot of the things Im doing use shoulders and arms that also engage core. I wish I could get down on the floor and just crank thru sit ups etc but they want other movements for a while first. so I will follow the plan. I was a little sore this morning in various spots but less than I thought I'd be.

more issues with my sister. she still can barely use her phone. this time I ordered a special battery for her land line phone & told her to not expect on-time delivery with bad weather everywhere. I get notification when it gets delivered but unless I call her and get dragged into a conversation, I cant let her know it arrived, since she cant text and never lets calls go to VM. I said expect delays, and look on the front porch a few times a day. sure enough, saw it got delivered and a day later she called and said it hadn't arrived yet. I always let her calls go to VM to minimize the aggravation. I thought it would get her to organize her thoughts but it doesnt. I got online and looked at order to be sure it was her porch pictured. called her and turns out she had not even looked! it sat out there for 2 days, while she calls and says its not there . she was too damn lazy to open her own door and look. she was home doing nothing the entire time. then she gets "hurt feelings' because I got angry. too aggravating. I had to figure out the model # of her phone, find the right battery, order it, explain how to install it, keep track it got delivered and she's too lazy to look out her door to see if its there before calling to say its not.
just venting here, I dont expect solutions.

Last edited:
Today I did a Killer Legs timesaver with moderate weights. That was 27 minutes and 121 calories burned. My average heart rate was 118 and maximum heart rate was 137. Then I did the Extended Stretch from the original STS which was 15 miles and 31 calories. That’s one of my favorite stretches.

Cathy, great job with STS disc 17 and P 30 Extended Stretch.

Valerie, great job with your therapy work, PT, and mountain biking in your neighborhood. I’m sure that you feel a lot of frustration with your sister.

Hello to Diane Sue and Judy.

Yesterday I did 40 minutes of Peloton rides and a 30 minute Yin Yoga. Today did 35 minutes of rowing and 25 minutes of Peloton strength & core work.

Carolyn-Great job with Stacked Sets Upper Body, Cardio Quick Fix, workout two, Killer Legs timesaver and STS Extended Stretch. Cathe’s stretches are very good.

Diane Sue-Great job with Raw TBTS warm up with TBTS Box and Tone, TBTS Strength Lower Body, and CDorner's Total Body Mobility.

Cathy-Great job with STS Disk 17 legs and P30 Extended Stretch. Schools are back open here too. We had fog advisories the past 2 days but that was all.

Valerie-I’m sorry about the issues with your sister. Great job with the therapy work, PT and mountain biking.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.