Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/15/2023

Yesterday I did RWHiiT Back, Shoulders & Biceps. Today did a short Peloton ride.

Carolyn-Great job with Total Body Giant Sets and the Strong & Sweaty PHA premix.

Cathy-Great job with 30 Minute Kickboxing Express and your Finished Combos. I agree about people buying/building homes close to shores or cliffs. I'm surprised so many people do.

Valerie-Great job with the spin and Xtrain Abs.

Diane Sue-Great job with CDorner Intermediate Step Aerobics Party workout and the mobility workout. I agree with Carolyn, the mobility one sounds good.

did 30 on the elliptical and 30 doing therapy exercises. going on a hike tomorrow with nice weather forecast. all the spring bulbs are coming up, about an inch tall already.

I like a nice view but I simply would not build a house on the edge of a cliff. we had the option when we bought this house but we chose the other side of the road. less of a view but I could not sleep 30 feet from a several hundred foot drop off. we are on a downhill slop, not a cliff, with quite a lot of space between us and the edge. made an appt to see orthopedics about my shoulder. its not worse but not better either. don't think it's rotator cuff but maybe a muscle connection problem below my shoulder. sigh. always something. see what orthopedics says.

Shopped yesterday. Today I did the IMAX workout I put together.

Valerie my sister is in FL and the housing situation there is a mess. My nephew and his fiancé have qualified for a $350,000 loan, which is insane to me, but standard bottom price there. Problem is that there's hardly anything available in their area and when something is available it's gone almost immediately. The number of people moving there is crazy and they are building new subdivisions with 100's of houses all the time. And the a lot of people there apparently didn't read their insurance policies well because the deductible in hurricane situations is a percentage of the value and a lot of people couldn't afford it. So, OTOH you've got out of control building in some areas (with no infrastructure like roads, stores, schools) and after the hurricane there were so many people needing housing that snowbirds who don't already own or have contracts to lease got caught in that. There's now talk of the fact Michigan is going to be the place to be in coming years because of the climate and just NO! We don't have the infrastructure here for that many more people without destroying the reason they would be coming and it'a all about the money. Developers just don't care and they are happy to grease any palms needed.

Hi to Carolyn, Judy and Diane Sue!

Today I did Cardio Party for 39 minutes and 307 calories burned. My average heart rate was 139 and maximum heart rate was 179 (?). I think the high bpm is a little off.

Judy, great job with RWH Back, Shoulders, and Biceps and Peloton ride. I like the RWH strength workouts.

Valerie, great job with 30 minutes on the elliptical and your therapy exercises. I’m sorry that the shoulder is still bothering you. Making that ortho appointment is a good idea.

Cathy, great job with your IMAX workout. I haven’t done a step workout in a while. I might try it next week.

Hello to Diane Sue.

we did a hike ths morning, 2 hours. very hilly, along the water, saw dolphins briefly. really pretty morning.

cathy I don't know real estate prices in FL but I will say you can't buy an empty garage here for $350K money. it got crazy here many years ago. the tiny little house I bought ( 900 sq ft) in 1970 for less than $30K sold for way over $1,000, 000. I dont know how anyone can afford to build a million dollar house and watch it get destroyed by wind and water, and turn around and rebuild in the same spot, betting it wont happen again. WA was an inexpensive place to live when I got here. now its right up with with LA and SF. costs spiral out of control quickly. I personally think FL is a horrendously awful place and dreaded going there for sales meetings. the heat and humidity are unbearable. flat and boring, and I'm too "pasty white" to live anyplace skin is exposed to tropical sun all day, all year. I don't like water sports so nothing for me there. climate change is going to submerge it eventually. we see that here too, build a bunch of houses, and then think about roads and schools in the future. our freeways are parking lots. the whole tech sector caused a lot of the increases. microsoft was based here. it supported a huge amount of tech with high paying jobs.

Last edited:
Today I did CDorner At Home Cardio Kickboxing & Abs, 38 minutes, heart rate 114/151, 163 calories, 2,954 steps. I then did Kelly Coffey Burn Sets Upper Body, 23 minutes, 76 calories, heart rate 99/123. I skipped a little of this one. I finished with CDorner Stretch after step and some of her Neck and Back stretch, 30 minutes, 42 calories, heart rate 76/100. Total time was 91 minutes, 3,584 steps, 281 calories.
I liked this Kickboxing workout. I followed the low impact moves which were mostly needed for the jacks. This is 30 minutes of kickboxing with some core built into the boxing/cardio and then ended with some abs on the floor.
Weights
Upper Super Sets
Shoulders:
reverse grip press 5# dumbbells 8 reps
lateral raise and extend 5# dumbbells 8 reps
repeat 2 more times

Biceps
pulse curls 10# dumbbells 8 reps
Pledges 10# dumbbells 8 reps
repeat 2 more times

Triceps
seated overhead extensions 10# dumbbell 8 reps
tate press 8# dumbbells 8 reps
repeat 2 more times

Chest
Reverse grip bench press 8 # dumbbells 8 reps
connected dumbbell press 8# dumbbells 8 reps
This bothered my front shoulder so only did one set

Back:
seated rows 12# dumbbells 8 reps
standing cross row 12# dumbbells 8 reps
repeat 2 more times

Burnout with light dumbbells 8's

Today is a rest day for me. I went to the Farmers Market for the first time in weeks and picked up some great produce.

Valerie, great job with the hike. I’m always amazed when I look at housing costs. I can’t imagine having to purchase a home these days.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Cardio Kickboxing and Abs and KCM Burn Sets Upper Body.

Hello to Judy and Cathy. Have a wonderful day everyone.

I did In the Ring today which though it sounds like a boxing workout, definitely falls into the kickboxing category with a bag section.

Carolyn great job with Cardio Party. I wish I had a farmers market convenient to me. My sister has been tormenting me with her talk of how great the Florida strawberries are, but I haven't seen any here yet. We have a very small window when you can find them here. Very little of our produce comes from there, it's all trucked from CA and those have not looked good.

Diane Sue nice job with At Home Cardio Kickboxing & Abs, upper body and stretch.

Valerie sounds like you had a very cool hike! You couldn't pay me enough to live in Florida. When the boys were still homeschooled we went twice to visit my sister, once in spring and once in fall, and the weather was quite moderate. I'm not a fan of humidity at all. We get some here in the summer, but nothing like they do and I hate living with air conditioning. Way prefer being able to open my windows for at least half the day. If I was my sister I'd never leave NC! But, there's no ice rink near and her husband still plays hockey as often as he can. She doesn't want to deal with, what I consider to be, a baby winter. LOL He grew up near Winnipeg and she in Michigan!

Today I did a short workout because I had groceries arriving and my granddaughter's husband was coming over to get some things from our garage. I did CDorner 30 minute step aeribics 128bpm// from 2 days ago. I went back a few minutes and did the combined moves a little more time so it was 40 minutes, 111/141 heart rate 160 calories, 3,100 steps. I had a hard time getting my heart rate up will the last few minutes of the workout when everything was put together. I liked the workout though. She starts out showing a rug she bought at Target that does not slide around to show how a person could make it non-impact pretending the rug was the step.

Judy, nice work with RWH back, shoulders, & biceps and the Peloton ride. I enjoy a lot of Chris mobility workouts. I actually look forward to them when she does new ones. She is always trying to encourage the importance of that area of fitness. Of course, I do have my favorites and I save them to use over again.

Valerie, we really have not had winter here yet. It is hard to imagine spring bulbs at this point. It always seems when freesia comes up that we get a freeze and they all fall over. I think we might get some winter like weather next week, but that could change. Today's forecast for rain has dropped off. In the 50's today.

Carolyn, nice work doing Cardio Party yesterday. That does seem a bit high on the heart rate for that one. I rarely get that high. It seems one day a while back I did, and looking at the chart it was a short blip on the graph. So I am not sure why. Maybe the watch has to recalculate algorithm and loses itself. That 141 I got today was right at the end of the workout. Every time I looked at my Garmin it was between 111 and 113. I really was not winded and tried to push to get it up, but that is how it ended up.
House prices have risen since we moved into ours. They have slowed down somewhat since the interest rates have moved up. Million Dollar homes here are huge. Costs are way lower than a lot of other places. And they are still building all over the place.

Cathy, nice work with In the Ring today. I remember that one. Isn't it the one where they switch off to the heavy bags in the live class? Every time I hear the title I think of Amy Bento(Ross) In the Ring workout. It used to be a favorite with the Kickboxing and medicine ball stuff in it and a great sound track .I still have it and I would probably find it tough at this point with joint issues etc.. I did not mind the humidity in Florida all of the times I have been there. Now Houston area is another story and in summer it is so thick it is hard to breathe. No need to shower because you will stay wet even after toweling off.

I never went to Houston and will never go. Florida was miserable. I remember getting off the plane and by the time I got to baggage my hair was a ball of frizz! the hotel windows had water running down the inside almost like it was raining, from condensation. it was a nice hotel too, like a marriott. it rains a lot in winter here but summer are not humid at all. I used to hate Milwaukee too, when we would get weather moving up from the Gulf. it was horrible. we didnt have air conditioning. I never saw a car with air conditioning until I went on vacation and flew to CA when I was 20 or so. air was not common back then, except for grocery stores and shopping malls. makes it possible to live in uninhabitable places, just like heat in the winter.

did 30 on the spin bi8ke and therapy today.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.