Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/15/2023

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning. planned a hike/walk this morning.

. we did our walk this morning, an hour and a half. a road we would ordinarily mt bike but Im waiting a while yet before riding. doc said 3 weeks but I think I can do it before that. these are very easy gravel roads , not trails. I can wear a wrist brace. Im first going to see how spinning at home feels.

carolyn, this post is out of order.
I'm sure childhood fear is part of it. we would get violent thunderstorms regularly. 70 years ago "tornado alley" was further north than it seems to be now. when I was a teen I was babysitting for 4 children and was alone with those kids and tornadoes were touching down. I wasn't home so I wasn't sure how close some of the touch down places were. it was an awful night. that's what finally did it. I wanted to get away from my crazy family anyway, and that was another reason.

Last edited:
Good morning. Today I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice for 18 minutes, always a nice total body stretch.

Valerie, I’m sorry that you weren’t feeling well. I hope that you are able to hike this morning with no problems. Your fear of tornadoes is probably related to the fact that you experienced them as a child. I am the same about hurricanes after growing up in Louisiana.

Diane Sue, nice job with Raw Heavy Bag/Shadow Box and Raw Finisher Stretch.

Cathy, nice job with the step workout and floor stretch that you put together. It takes a while for injuries to heal, but waiting can be difficult.

Hello to Judy.

Yesterday I did a 45 minute Peloton ride and today I did Coffey Fit Raw Upper Body Strength.

Diane Sue-Thanks for posting the breakdown of the upper body strength workout. I really liked it and will do it again. Great job with Raw Heavy Bag/Shadow Box and the stretch.

Carolyn-Great job with Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice.

Valerie-I'm sorry you didn't feel well yesterday. Nice job with your hike/walk today. I agree about tornado alley being further north when we were younger. It definitely included the Quad Cities area of Iowa and Illinois and also Wisconsin. I was fortunate enough to never actually be in a tornado but had several that were within miles of where I lived. I remember all the horrible thunderstorms too.

Cathy-Great job with the step workout and stretch. I hope your ribs continue to improve.

judy glad you agree with me. since I havent lived there for a long time, I have not heard weather forecasters say it, but it used to be iowa illinois, indiana, wisconsin especially south eastern WI. of course there were and are exceptions. weather reporting has changed from back then too. its much more comprehensive and accurate now, and its easy to get information for areas outside where you happen to live.

No workout today. We had a nice time celebrating birthdays today and lots of dessert. Fortunately, two cakes went back out the door and I have very little leftovers. One of my granddaughters and her mother brought in two cakes. If I had known, I would not have made the chocolate pound cake.

Judy, nice work on the Peloton ride yesterday and the Raw Upper Body Strength. I liked the Raw Upper Body Strength too. I also liked that it was not a super long workout. One of the things I like about the Raw workouts is that many of them are between 30 and 45 minutes and she has things that can be added to other workouts.

Valerie, it sounds like you are progressing well on healing. I do not worry about the tornados so much anymore. I just do not want to be out on the road during one ever again.

Carolyn, nice work on Jane Adams Morning Energy.

Today I did Strong and Sweaty Cardio Slam, low impact modifications premix. That was 49 minutes and 306 calories burned. My average heart rate was 126 and maximum heart rate was 161. I’ve been staying away from most of Cathe’s cardio workouts for a while since my knee has not been at its best. I enjoyed getting back to Cardio Slam today.

Judy, great job with the Peloton ride and Raw Upper Body Strength.

Valerie, last week I read that the tornado alley that was mostly in the middle states has moved further East over the last decade. It stands to reason that it has moved in other directions as well.

Diane Sue, your family get together sounds like fun. It’s good to have the leftovers leave with the family.

Waving hello to Cathy.

Yesterday I just stretched. This morning I did P30 Low Impact Hiit and Stretch Max with the band. I really like that stretch and band stretches are working well for me right now. I feel like I'll be able to start weights and more range of motion by this weekend. But, I think I'm gonna have to ditch doing STS. By then it'll be close to a month, because it happened in the middle of my rest week, and I do NOT want to do Meso 1 again, but feel like I wouldn't be able to use the weight I normally would for Meso 2, so thinking about other options.

Carolyn nice job with the yoga and Strong and Sweaty Cardio Slam.

Judy great job with Peloton ride and Raw Upper Body Strength. I agree about the tornados being more prevalent when I was young, at least it certainly seems that way. I was just looking some up. Only F5 here was in 1953, F4 in 1976, but I was shocked to see they classified the one in Portland (MI) in 2015 as an F1 that did way more damage than the F3 that hit downtown Gaylord last year. There's also the fact that they classify so much stuff under various wind categories now.

Diane Sue it's always a plus when those kind of leftovers get sent home with other people!

Valerie it sounds like your wrist is doing really well, that's fantastic!

Last edited:
with tornados damage is so specific and localized. one side of the street might be totally destroyed, while 100 yards away is untouched. homes in the upper midwest tend to be more solidly built and often have basements, whereas no basement mobile homes or light frame houses are more prevalent in the more southern areas because climate is milder.
not noticing my wrist changing much but I find I'm doing more normal things without even thinking about it, like using both arms to lift myself up in bed.

cathe I used 2 weeks on each section of STS. maybe you could go back and repeat the last 2 weeks of meso 1 and see if it works Ok? test it out to see if you could go right into Meso 2.

Today I did CDorner Low Impact Cardio Steady State 54 minutes which includes 10 minutes from the low impact she had posted yesterday, 204 calories, heart rate 109/131, 5,586 steps. The one from yesterday had jacks in it and I switched. I don't mind if she shows a higher impact move, but when she continues doing the high impact move and it says low impact, I am done with the workout. I finished with CDorner Stretch after step newer one, along with some foam rolling shoulders and mid to upper back, 23 minutes, 44 calories, heart rate 83/105. Total time was 77 minutes, 248 calories.
I was sore through my shoulders yesterday and today from the boxing Saturday and decided another day till weights. My youngest daughter and grandson came over for a little while this morning so I got a bit later start. I enjoyed the coffee and visit with them. No school today and they were going to the dentist.

Valerie, we have mobile home parks around here, but I would worry about living in one here. Plus your vehicles would probably have to be parked outside and would get hailed on. All of the homes our home builder put up have a in the floor garage shelter. So, there is that option. Plus, most homes are brick.

Cathy, I used to change up STS by doing 1 week of each mesocycle or just two weeks each just because I had done it so much and was sort of bored with it. It seems odd how they categorize tornadoes. I know the storm that took our fence and roof and other things off somewhere never to be found was not called a tornado. I thought my hanging flowers on the patio were going to come through the big window. It was weird watching my fence go into the neighbors in slow motion as the metal poles bent. There was stuff all over the neighborhood.

Carolyn, nice work getting in Cardio Slam with low impact modifications. I understand on the cardio work. Cathe's low impact is often a bit more intense on the knees than some others. I am babying my knee right now as it was swollen a couple of days ago. Not swollen today though, but still achy.

This morning I did a 60 minute Peloton ride and tonight I did Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga.

Carolyn-Great job with Strong and Sweaty Cardio Slam, low impact modifications premix.

Cathy- Great job with P30 Low Impact Hiit and Stretch Max with the band. Tornadoes seem fairly rare in SE Michigan, at least compared to where I lived in Iowa. I can only think of one time that we spent an evening in the basement because of tornado warnings, I think that was 2015 or 2016.

Diane Sue-Great job with CDorner Low Impact Cardio Steady State and CDorner Stretch.

Valerie-It sounds like your wrist is healing well. I bet you will be glad to get back to riding.

Just finished 30 Minute Kickboxing Express. Didn't use any weights. While I still have some soreness, I also have a lot of torso stiffness so it was good in helping loosen that area up.

Judy great job with the Peloton ride and yoga.

Diane Sue nice job with Low Impact Cardio Steady State plus the extra low impact, stretch and foam rolling. The tornado categories drive people nuts, because what insurance will cover depends so much on the label. My grandparents lost a big hip roof barn back in the mid-60's and the insurance company decided it was just heavy winds, because sure heavy wind is going to completely flatten a very sturdy large barn. Only thing I really remember is after that we were never allowed to go barefoot because they were afraid nails had gotten scattered. Nothing else was damaged but the barn sat on a slight hill a distance behind the house.

Valerie it is so bizarre how tornadoes can completely destroy one thing while leaving things next to it completely intact. Because I can remember what Nick was doing, I know the last time we had to go to the basement was in the 2020. The zoo is about 1/2 an hour SW of us and they were also under a warning but got cleared first so he took off driving north to his then GF about 1 1/2 hours away. While I was like seriously you're really doing that, but that was also the time my husband after a short time went upstairs because he was bored. Ugh

I remember reading the reason tornados cause more deaths now is they hit more often where the water table is higher and homes don't have basements. hiding in the bathtub is not as good! I once saw a "potential" tornado hanging from the clouds but it disappeared quickly. we worry about earthquakes here and also land slides and trees falling. no way to get insurance for them. incredibly expensive if you can even get it, ends up barely covering anything. there are a lot of big trees here. wet soil and wind causes a lot of blow downs. depends on the risks you can live with. nothing is perfectly safe from everything.
I've only done therapy work for several days. getting old! I have a minor dental appt this morning and then maybe I will try a spin.

Today I did Total Body Giant Set, no round 5. My time was 52 minutes with 277 calories burned. My average heart rate was 120 and maximum heart rate was 149.

Cathy, nice job with P30 Low Impact HiiT and Stretch Max with the band. Stretching and going slowly with resuming your weight work is a smart thing to do.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Low Impact Cardio and Stretch. Cathe’s low impact cardio is definitely more intense than some others. Cardio Party and Rev’d Up Rumble usually work for me, but I have to be cautious with most of the others.

Judy, nice job with the 60 minute Peloton ride and JS Gentle Yoga.

Hello to Valerie.

Today I did Kelly Coffey Shape Up weights only premix. I have used this on a lot in the past as the weights only is all upper body. The cardio portions are lower and have jumping on and off the step and some intense stuff. This was 38 minutes, 108 calories, heart rate 97/130, 1,301 steps. I then did CDorner Cardio Weights and stretch Cardio portion and stretch portion. This has markings at the bottom of the screen for each section and is fun music. I keep it in my watch list. Cardio was 18 minutes, heart rate 108/125, 75 calories, 1,888 steps. I did the low impact options for most of it. I then did the stretch and it was 18 minutes, 20 calories, heart rate 78/91. Total time was 75 minutes, 203 calories, 3,189 steps.

Judy, great job on the 60-minute Peloton ride and Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga.

Cathy, nice work on 30 minute Kickboxing Express. Loosening up the rib cage probably was helpful. I had not thought about insurance paying by what the winds were called. It is wild how those storms can tear up one building and leave the others around it standing. My husband's work had one large metal building lifted in one since we moved where we are picked up and moved to another area. I remember on the news during one of the bad tornados showing film of this elderly lady sitting in her rocking chair in what was her living room, and the house was gone. It left her there. It was really weird. She must have had her guardian angel there.

Valerie, I do not understand why people want to buy homes where they may have landslides and stuff. Sure, it is beautiful for view, but seems crazy to me. I know Ca has a lot of those mud slides and stuff where expensive homes are.

Carolyn, I really like the Cardio Party and Rev's Up Rumble. When I pulled those out I looked at some others and then remembered jacks and jabs and those jumping ground and pound moves and decided I was not up for that. I have to modify with I Max 4 on some of the moves even though it is supposed to be low impact.

Last edited:
I did my Finished Combos workout today. I'd forgotten that Low Impact Challenge has burpees and pushups on the step. LOL I was able to do them though. I woke up more sore than I was yesterday, because my darn brain allowed me to sleep on my stomach for awhile last night. Ugh

I don't get why people buy/build close to shores or cliff edges. Being surrounded by the Great Lakes Michigan has plenty of examples of erosion and flooding damage. In Marquette, along Lake Shore Blvd they had to move the road inland farther not that many years ago, because the lake threw so many rocks up on it. And Mackinac Island had a large section of road along the north side washed away a couple years ago. But, there were no houses in those areas, because the roads are by the water.

Valerie great job with the spin bike and abs.

Diane Sue nice job with Shape Up weights, Cardio Weights and stretch.

Carolyn great job with Total Body Giant Set.

cathy look at florida. every hurricane pics show pic high rise condos 3 feet from waters edge. how did they get permits to build who would insure them? why can they rebuild in the same spot? too many people have so much money they don't care. there is a story right now about large tracts of homes in AZ losing water supply and need to truck it in. why did the state issue building permits for areas without water? this is the area we mt biked on our vacation last year. we recognized the name immediately. in WA houses are built on steep slopes, or below steep slopes that can slide. the risk is less than many hurricanes every year., but still risky. lake michigan levels change year to year. things safe one year are at edge of the water later. we probably all watched the house & bridge collapse and float down the yellowstone river this year in the spring floods. with climate change and ocean levels rising building codes need adjustment. I dont want my (disaster support) tax dollars going to compensate rebuilding in the same hazardous location. but they do. its crazy. people like to be near water but ocean levels are rising, no question about it.

going to probably ride again today or maybe elliptical.

This morning I did Cardio Quick Fix, workout one, for 26 minutes and 187 calories burned. My average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 149.

Cathy, nice job with your Finished Combos workout.

Valerie, nice job with 30 minutes on the spin bike and X Train Abs.

Hello to Judy and Diane Sue.

Today I did CDorner Intermediate Step Aerobics Party workout 133bpm. This was 41 minutes, heart rate 112/134, 167 calories, 3,551 steps. This was a fun one that she did in a gym with some other women. I followed this with her 30-minute magical mobility flow//get the body moving, 29 minutes, 58 calories, heart rate 86/102 heart rate, 263 steps. I liked this mobility. It was more mobility and movement which I needed today. Not extreme moves, but a flow and work to loosen up enough as you try to do the yogi squat several times throughout to see how much easier it is. It really was much better by the last time doing it. I was worried at her saying yogi squat, but she did not hold these for a long time. My knee did fine with the step, so maybe I can do some lower body work tomorrow.

Cathy, I remember doing Low Impact Challenge the first time and being surprised by the push up burpee thing. I guess people think they are not going to be the one having a bad experience purchasing a home in an unsafe area.

Valerie, I hope you had a nice workout with elliptical or Spin again. They put hotels and condos along beaches and water because it makes money.

Carolyn, nice work with Cardio Quick Fix 1.

This morning I did Strong and Sweaty PHA. I did a timesaver with 4 of the 6 rounds. My time was 37 minutes with 198 calories burned. My average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate was 147.

Diane Sue, nice job with CDorner Step Aerobics Party and Mobility. That mobility flow sounds like a good one.

Hello to Judy, Cathy, and Valerie.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.