Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/14/2024

Today I did Killer Legs—and yes it was!! My time was 40 minutes and 163 calories burned, average heart rate 112, and maximum heart rate 135. My legs felt like jelly when I finished.

Judy, great job with the Peloton ride, Peloton Core, and Yin Yoga.

Hello to Cathy, Valerie, and Diane Sue.

Today I did a 45 minute Peloton ride and 45 minutes of stretching. Tomorrow will be a strength day. It looks like we have more snow coming tomorrow so we did a little grocery shopping, just to make sure we have everything we need for a few days if we don't want to go out.

Carolyn-Great job with Killer Legs. I agree, it lives up to it's name. It's a tough one.

Hi to Cathy, Valerie & Diane Sue.

Reactions: WD
we got thru some snow, ice, freezing rain without any problems. never got that bad but we did need to head to an early appt this morning. drive was icy but ok. later I did 30 min spin and 30 on the treadmill walking uphill. ended up being about 1.5 miles. PT appt, the first one, is tomorrow.

Today I did Raw Hi/Lo Sculpt, 32 minutes, 127 calories, heart rate 111/133. I then did Raw TBTS Sculpt: Cardio, 19 minutes, heart rate 122/153 95 calories, and finished off with Raw Stretch Flow 20 minutes, 37 calories. I really felt the Cardio would have been more calories today though. Maybe because I have had this cold which is driving me nuts. So tired lately. Total time was 71 minutes, 259 calories, 3,065 steps.

Cathy, nice work on Live Cardio Crush. Cathe has other workouts where she used tubing as markers on the floor. I do not use them and I prefer not using a mat on the floor. I am more apt to trip over them than anything else.

Carolyn, great job on Killer Legs. I will probably get those workouts eventually.

Judy, nice work on the Peloton Ride and stretching. Good idea to do some shopping just in case.

Valerie, nice work on the 30 minute Spin and 30 minute treadmill walking uphill. I hope PT goes well for you tomorrow.

Just finished STS Disk 15 Back and Biceps. I did it but I can't say I enjoyed it. LOL Shopped yesterday so no workout. Snowed a bit overnight. Still snowing and we may end up with 2-3" but though it'll still be below freezing we are supposed to see sun the next couple days which should help the roads. Though the dirt roads will just get icy from thawing and melting. Had a possible wrench thrown into our trip to Fort Worth. The zoo posted a full time keeper position and Derek wasn't going to apply because he doesn't meet the specific criteria for exotic cats, and he wasn't allowed in those areas as an intern, so he wasn't going to apply, but then he got an email from his supervisor in education last year, telling him he should. If on the outside chance he got it, asking for 8 days off in the first couple months, probably wouldn't fly. So, we'll see. He's mainly hoping he'll just get feed back from them about other possible jobs and if nothing looks to be happening, he can apply to the other local zoo.

Judy we used to get a lot of power outages and long ones and then at some point they worked on our power station and it's been better, but out here all it takes is a tree taking an important line down and if there's a lot of outages with so many fewer houses we are low on the priority list. Consumers does seem to be better and getting things going again than DTE so I'll count my blessings. Great job with the Peloton workouts and yoga.

Carolyn nice job with JS Stride and Step. My sister is in Tampa area and she's been complaining about how cold and cloudy it is. She said they've run the heat more this winter than in a very long time. While we might actually sympathize some, we all have to give her a hard time. She says we at least expect it to be cold and she's not wrong. I actually spent some time deleting things and cleaning up my phone, was able to do the latest update and it's working okay again. So, I'm not getting a new one anytime soon.

Valerie having had two sons who went through dinosaur stages we learned about Pangea and how it separated out. That there were dinosaurs in Antarctica, and lots of other things. Honestly, in a lot of areas I learned far more about things when homeschooling the boys than I ever did in school. I do hope your weather straightens out soon. Great job with the spin and treadmill. PT! Another step forward.

Diane Sue nice job with Raw Hi/Lo Sculpt, Raw TBTS Sculpt: Cardio and stretch. I never use the markers on the floor anyway. They just get in the way and they really aren't necessary.

Cathy I knew about Pangea but not from school. the whole plate tectonics thing was accepted as fact in the early 70's, and I was finishing up college then. without kids to teach or oversee, it was easy to miss. didnt exactly get a lot of newspaper coverage.
I'm doing this course on 'How the Earth works". ate tectonics is just a small part of the course but its so basic to all the sciences now and for a long time. the more I learn, the more I realize I missed in school. I was a dinosaur freak as a kid and planned to become a paleontologist and dig up dinosaur bones in the Gobi dessert. hmm, that didnt happen! I ended up having to major in something I didnt especially like but I needed something that could be completed where I lived. parents didnt help and although I tried for a scholarship, it didnt happen. so I had to do something my part time job would pay for. parents would never ever have allowed borrowing money or any kind of loan.

we can get the same treatment from the power company. more people living here and we aren't as high on the priority list as we used to be. so far no significant power outs this year. whenever we get freezing rain that's a risk.

30 on spin bike and 15 on treadmill today and my first PT session later today.

Last edited:
This morning I did JS HiiT Walk for 30 minutes and 213 calories burned. My average heart rate was 134 and maximum heart rate was 166. Then I did the Step Boss Lying stretch. I had never done that one before, but I liked it.

Judy, nice job with the 45 minute Peloton ride and 45 minutes of stretching.

Valerie, great job with the spin bike and treadmill. I hope that the first PT session goes well.

Diane Sue, nice work with Raw Hi Low Sculpt, TBTS Cardio, and Stretch Flow.

Cathy, nice job with STS disc 15, Back and Biceps. That’s a great opportunity for Derek to interview for the open position at the zoo.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Today I did Raw Lift with Cardio Acceleration #4 that just popped up on the Raw channel. This was 30 minutes, heart rate 122/150, 142 calories, 1,354 steps. I then did Raw TBTS Strength Lower Body, 16 minutes, heart rate 106/127, 61 calories. I finished with CDorner Day 26 After Leg Workout Stretches, 15 minutes, 23 calories. Total time was 61 minutes, 226 calories. My grandson is coming to spend the night with us so I am not sure if I will do a workout tomorrow. Sunday is family birthdays at my house so no workout then for sure.

Cathy, nice work on STS Disc 15 Biceps and Triceps. It sure doesn't hurt for Derek to try for the position. I keep grocery shopping on line and not getting everything I ordered. It took deliveries from 3 different stores to finally get 14 chicken breasts for family dinner Sunday. Two stores wanted to sub tenderloins and that won't work for the recipe I am making. I ended up getting 8 from Sprouts and they said they were low in stock. It seems weird to me. I have not done delivery with Sprouts before. Whole foods subbed tenders when I ordered from them. My granddaughter does not eat beef because she has too much iron.

Valerie, nice work on the30 minute spin bike and15 minute treadmill today. Also, the PT.

Carolyn, nice work on Jessica Smith 30 minute Hiit Walk and Step Boss Stretch.

This morning I did Live Boom Boom Pow Kickbox. I really like that one a lot. Nice variety. Starts out with gloves on punching, then bags, then gloves off kicking section and finishing with gloves on kickboxing.

Valerie glad you were able to get to the appointment okay. Great job with the spin and treadmill. I learned a LOT about dinosaurs. Nick's dinosaur phase lasted a lot longer than Derek's, as Derek moved onto animals fairly early. Nick did the want to be a paleontologist for awhile, but it was pretty much over by the time he was 6-7. He went through so many stages of I want to be a...and at 25 he's still figuring it out. From the time Derek was old enough to know what a zookeeper was he's never wavered. Though there was an early phase of just wanting to own and run the zoo.

Diane Sue great job with Raw Lift with Cardio Acceleration, Raw TBTS Strength Lower Body and stretches. There have been several times lately when I was at WF that there were quite a few empty spots on shelves. The other day they were clearly in need of a shipment, though they were in the midst of restocking produce.

Carolyn nice job with JS HiiT Walk for 30 minutes, and SB extended stretch.

Hi Judy.

Today is my rest day. I’m doing some housework and trying to stay warm. I ordered a new Zojirushi bread machine to replace my 28 year old Toastmaster. While I don’t eat a lot of bread, I want good bread when I have it. My husband likes a sandwich for lunch every day. I need a couple of ingredients before I’m ready to try it out. I ordered them from King Arthur Baking and they should be here early next week. I still have wheat kernels and my grain mill is just waiting for me to get started!

Diane Sue, great job with Raw Lift with Cardio Acceleration, Raw TBTS Strength Lower Body, and CDorner stretch. I’m sure that you are enjoying your grandson’s visit.

Cathy, great job with Live Boom Boom POW Kickboxing. It sounds like a fun workout.

Hello to Valerie and Judy.

Last edited:
Yesterday I did Total Body Barbell. Today is a rest day from exercise. I’m getting caught up on some housekeeping. It’s way to cold to go outside but hopefully it will warm up a little this week.

Valerie-Great job with the spin and treadmill. I hope your PT went well.

Diane Sue- Great job with Raw Hi/Lo Sculpt, Raw TBTS Sculpt: Cardio, Raw Stretch Flow, Raw Lift with Cardio Acceleration #4, Raw TBTS Strength Lower Body and the CDorner Stretch.

Cathy-Great job with STS Disk 15 Back and Biceps and Live Boom Boom Pow Kickbox. The zoo keeper position sounds perfect for Derek.

Carolyn-Great job with JS HiiT Walk and Step Boss Lying stretch. I love my Zojirushi rice cooker.

we did our park walk this morning, an hour and 20 minutes. finally a normal temp, sunshine. most snow is gone but the cold rain is back tonight for another stretch.
PT went well yesterday. the moves I will be doing are smaller and more focused than I expected. not touching my toes or anything yet. a lot of reactivation of some specific core muscles that go "dormant" after back surgery. need to locate them and reactivate them. I can get on the floor lying flat and do very modified semi bridges and ball squeezes. I feel like I could do a lot more but I will be patient. I still need to keep my back flat, no cat/cow kinds of things yet.

Cathy I don't remember when I lost interest in dinosaurs. I lost interest in going to Mongolia for sure. sometime in grade school I started to realize it was going to be hard to go anywhere at all.

did all my therapy work today, got down on the floor for the first time in months. not doing what I really want to do but I'll get there in time. I sure am tight. a lot of what I'm doing is stretches like hamstring and piriformis stretching. hips get very tight after not moving except for limited ROM. it was lumbar vertebrae for me, and so the whole hip area has been restricted for months now.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.