Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/12/2020

I don't get the emails from the NG's. I don't think I ever signed up for it, but that might work for me now. do you know how I access the info? was it in this weeks newsletter? I'll go look but I don't remember seeing anything. I try not to use facebook.

I used to get email from the NG's but I haven't for quite a while. I did one of their programs a few years ago.

Reactions: WD
Deb, I looked at the link from the email and the cost is 67.00. That’s a $30.00 discount using the code from the email. In the past there were people who couldn’t start on the designated day. They started their 7 days at other times and were able to complete the cleanse on their own schedules. You don’t have to cook a lot if you don’t want to do so. I received a recipe packet and foods to choose from similar to what we received with Mega Energy. The focus will probably be on whole foods and eliminating some items like added sugars during the 7 days. That works best if you do some simple cooking or food preparation. I did not eliminate my coffee!! They posted a recipe on Facebook for a cranberry elixir. I had forgotten about it, but it’s something that I really liked.

I did a mini workout since now we will try to ski tomorrow. I did 15 min on the spin bike, then 3 sets of 25knee pushups, dips, and abs from x train.

I'll take a look carolyn, thanks.

Last edited:
Today I started with Lite Rev'd Up & Rumble mix main + calories crush, 51 minutes, 282 calories, met 6.34, heart rate 133 average, 156 max, 4,877 steps. I then did Raw 5 day strength day 3 shoulders and legs, 35 minutes, 103 calories, met 3.6, 519 steps, heart rate average 107 max 131. I finished with Lite extended stretch 2, 10 minutes, 30 calories, heart rate average 105, max 140, 18 steps. Total time spent 96 minutes, calories 415, 5,414 steps.
Weights today
Shoulders
side lateral raises thumbs down 10# dbs 5 sets 10 reps
butterfly to overhead press, 10# dbs 2 sets, dropped to 8# dbs 3 sets 10 reps
Core, plank knee drive in hip drop 5 sets 10 reps
Legs
squats 35# bb front squat positions 1 set, then I tried 25# dumbbell front squat position 1 set, last 3 sets of 10 reps I used the 35# barbell on my shoulders like Kelly did. I was trying to find my comfort zone here as my low back is sore from the prone frog legs on day one. I kept wondering why my back was achy yesterday and then figured it out. This happened last week too.
Bridges with shoulders on the step 35# barbell 5 sets of 10 reps and 10 pulses at the top

Deb, nice work on the steps. I have got over 10,000 steps a couple of times lately. Cathe's Step Sync really racks up a lot of steps. I think my new Fit Bit Versa 2 is picking up steps a lot better than the Blaze did too.
Running dogs through their course and training would get a lot of steps in. I think the new workouts look good. I was glad to see one of the Hiit workouts is low impact. I will probably order, but not right away. She did that quick!!

Carolyn, I think setting my Fit Bit to remind me to move is helping me get a few more steps in a day, even though it is not always 10,000. It will be between 8 and 9 thousand steps for me today. Nice work today on Cardio Party. I almost chose that one myself. I thought I needed to not push doing step every day.

Valerie, I hope you get a chance to go out when the snow is right. I think we are going to get some sleet here. I am hoping it waits till after I go pick up my grandson. Most mornings I have some coffee and maybe oatmeal or something. Today I ate an orange and then I workout. If I have appointments I do the workout right away. No sitting reading or anything before I start. Afternoons are just hard for me to do. I usually have the afternoon slump where I feel really sleepy.

Judy, I find that the Raw 5 day strength workouts are a good length that allows me time for extra stretching or cardio without making it so long. Kelly keeps coming up with new workouts. I think there is a couple that I have not done. A new one is coming out on her Raw channel this weekend.

This morning I did Gym Style Back, Shoulders, and Biceps. My time was 50 minutes with 254 calories burned. Average heart rate was 117 and maximum heart rate was 160.

Have a great day everyone.

This morning I chose Jessica Smith workouts for everything. Hers are gentle on the joints and my low back is sore along with my neck. I did Walk Strong and have Fun: Steady Ready Go 33 minutes, heart rate average 138, max 169, 3,256 steps. I then did Ready Steady Go: Step and Stride, 30 minutes, heart rate average 135, 166 max, 173 calories, 3,387 steps. I finished off with Gentle Yoga back and chest, 22 minutes, heart rate average 107, max 139, 54 calories, 5 steps. Total time 85 minutes, calories burned 417, 6,648 steps. I am picking my grandson up from school this afternoon. I plan on leaving plenty early to at least (hopefully) miss the sleet on the way there. Timing is right when the weather shows it starting. Maybe if I am lucky I will be back and not see anything.

Carolyn, nice workout and calorie burn. I swear with this new Fit Bit I get better calorie burns with weights and yoga than the other one. Cardio is a different story though. I am under what my stats were with the Fit bit blaze. I have been trying logging food with the Fitbit. I am not sure if I like it or not. I ate breakfast this morning having oatmeal with half a scoop of protein powder and some macadamia milk on it along with matcha tea and coffee. It told me I was over my calories. I guess it means breakfast? I just thought it was odd. Let alone, I am not trying to lose weight.

Valerie, I hope skiing goes well for you today. I wish I liked going out in the cold more than I do. I can never seem to bundle up enough to be warm. I know you have the clothing and the layering down though.

skiing went OK today, not great. now there is too much snow! one extreme or the other. we couldn't get to the road we wanted because of trees down across the road, so parked, skied around the trees and got to the road we wanted, but the snow was impossibly deep. went a mile or two, then retreated and drove to a less deep area and skied another 2 hours from there. my boots need to be replaced. one pair is too old and too soft, the other too stiff and a little too short. they are very old too. women don't have as many boot choices, my feet are not big enough to wear men's boots. euro sizing is less precise with big jumps between sizes. most ski boots are made elsewhere. it was pretty out. so much snow!

diane sue I wear a lot of clothing to start, in layers, so as you heat up you can unzip or peel off a layer. a puffy jacket is usually too warm. you need a thinner layer or two, and then a shell jacket. we always carry a puffy jacket for sitting, eating, emergencies. you will overheat wearing it while skiing. then you sweat, then you get cold. as you warm up, you take off a layer or open zippers so you stay warm.... but not sweaty. the same thing doesn't work for everyone so it takes experimenting. skiing is a huge energy burner though. you heat up. then remove something so you don't overheat. when you stop, you put it back on. I usually wear light long johns under winter pants, that makes the upper layers less critical.

Today I did Low Max, intervals 1-4. That was 47 minutes and 346 calories burned. Average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 151.

Diane Sue, Jessica Smith’s workouts are always good for those days when you don’t want to overdo. I have never tried logging food on Fitbit. I still use SparkPeople (the free version) when I want to track calories and nutritional information. I rely on the WW program app for my main tracking.

Valerie, I’m glad that you were able to do some skiing even though it wasn’t all that you wanted.

Hello to Judy, Deb, and Lori. Have a wonderful day everyone.

I don't think I explained clothing layers very well, but it's key for comfortable exercising/ working outdoors. Trial and error. Get a clothing system down, and tweak as needed. merino wool has gotten popular but my skin goes crazy with wool, so I stick to synthetics, especially base layer. If my ears get cold, I feel cold all over so I wear a hoodie, earband, or hat whereas DH pulls off his hat first thing when he gets warm, while I pull off my shell jacket, keep hat on. he wears double socks, but I want one sock and less heavy boots since my feet get too warm. if you plan to get somewhere, sit down to eat, put on a warm layer immediately when you stop, even if you are warm at the time. if you wait until you cool off, you will get cold. if you sit and eat, when you get up to move usually hands and feet will get cold but warm up within 10 min. garments fluctuate with season and location but the principle is the same. Ok, lecture over!
outdoor clothing is WAY better than it used to be but you need to adapt thing to your own needs. cant do hot weather, that is my off season. exercising above 70 starts to be a problem because I cant cool myself, never could.

Last edited:
I am so tired today. I just hardly slept last night. I woke at 4:30 this morning. I did Step Boss I Max 4 premix all combos, no blasts, 34 minutes (I somehow turned my fit bit off so restarted and did the warm up a second time) 187 calories, heart rate average 132, max 159, 2,512 steps. I just used what calories map my fitness gave me for the warm up and added it on minus a bit. I went for my carotid ultrasound and to talk with the doctor and then ran errands. It has rained all day, but fortunately not freezing temps.
The doctor said my tests were good and no problem there, but the heart CT did show some plaque and with the sore over 100 he thinks I should take a statin. I told him I was not sure I wanted to do that. He said diet helps, but it won't get rid of the plaque that is already there and the statin would keep it from getting worse. He called in a plant based prescription for me and said if I want to go home and research it I can just not pick it up if I don't want to use it. Plant based means little to me. There are a lot of bad drugs that are plant based. I think there is a statin that uses some red rice yeast or something as part of it. Still not happy with the idea.

Valerie, I remember when I lived in Colorado wearing layers of clothing. Shoveling snow would sure have me sweating soon after starting. Fortunately here shoveling has been only sporadic on different years. Although we get a lot more black ice instead. Further north in the state we got more snow. I cannot wear wool. I have a wool coat and if I put it on I have to have a lot of layers between me and the coat and a scarf around my neck so the coat won't be touching my neck. I break out in a rash and itch like crazy. Even sweaters that have some wool along with nylon leave me itchy. European sizing can be hard to get right, particularly if shopping online. I could use some long johns when we ride the motorcycle in cool weather. I don't like riding unless it is at least in the 70s. I have purchased a lot of Dansko and Birkenstocks and they vary on fit.

Carolyn, the amazing thing with Jessica Smith's workouts is I get a good step count out of them without overdoing it. I feel good afterward. Fit Bit throws me off sometimes. I accidentally put my food in for the wrong day and could not easily switch days. Also it tends to want me to eat less which is not appropriate for me right now. They do have a pretty good data base though. I still find my fitness pal easier.

My new ski boots arrive tomorrow. hopefully they will fit. Euro sizes have such a huge jump from one size to the next, and that doesn't allow for differences between manufacturers. size charts don't even agree. REI carries this boot but not in small sizes. DH has this boot for a year now, so I know its good quality but our feet are very different. ski boots should fit snugly rather than loose. I have small volume feet and its hard to tie laces down tight enough. we will see.
I love the way wool sweaters look and merino is soft but it still itches. I used to wear wool when I was a kid, but always with a layer under against my skin. synthetics are easy care but mostly, they don't itch like wool. I can't stand wool hats if they touch my forehead or ears, so I always get synthetic. beautiful things made with wool, and all natural, wish I could wear it.

I took yesterday off, just tired.

Today I did most of Gym Style Chest and Triceps. My time was 43 minutes with 146 calories burned. Average heart rate was 105 and maximum heart rate was 138.

I went to my hair salon this morning where a frightening and amazing thing happened. A huge deer crashed through a front window, slid across the floor, ran through the salon and jumped out of a kitchen window above the sink!! The sound was like an explosion and glass went everywhere. Everyone was stunned and no one moved for a few seconds. The salon is not in a rural area. One of the guys in the barber shop area saw the deer running across the four lanes of traffic, the grassy median and the parking lot just before he crashed through the window. My heart was pounding for quite a while after it all ended. That was too much excitement for a Saturday morning!

Hello to everyone and I hope your day is less stressful than mine.

Oh my that poor deer! Hope he/she found its way to safety. Carolyn how exciting! the deer around here are acclimated to people.... they get into trouble because people and cars can get close, then suddenly its too close and panic sets in.

Everything happened so quickly then the deer was gone. There was some blood on the floor where he jumped through the glass. We were worried, but couldn’t see the deer after he went out of the back window.

Deer are pretty tough, as long as he/she got across traffic chances are good all be be OK.

I did 15 fast on the elliptical, just under 2000 steps, then gym style back /biceps. a 38 min premix. I haven't done GS in ages. I was stunned at how totally ripped Cathe is. wow. I didn't remember that. she is certainly fit these days, but I did not remember how low her body fat must have been.

got very little sleep last night, so hopefully I can sleep better tonight.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.