Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/12/2020

WD

Cathlete
Getting us a thread started for this week :D

This morning I did Coffeyfit Raw 5 day strength day #1 back and biceps, 38 minutes, 138 calories, heart rate average 118, max 158, 309 steps. I wanted to do Step Sync, but will save that for tomorrow.
Weights today
Back
1 arm row 25# 10 reps 5 sets alternating sides ( still not ready for the 30# Kelly uses I am being careful)
1 arm seated fly 12# 10 reps 5 sets alternating sides
frog legs lying prone on step 5 sets 20,20,15,10,10 reps (Kelly says you can add ankle weights which she did not do and I am prone to avoid that when hitting my low back)
Biceps
pledges alternating 20# 8 reps each side 2 sets, 17.5# 8 reps each side 3 sets
reverse curls lying on bench 4 sets of 10 reps then 1 set of 20 reps

Diane Sue, thanks for starting us off today. Great job with Coffeyfit Raw Strength. This is a rest day for me. Waving a big hello to everyone and have a wonderful afternoon.

Hi all. going to get in a short spin this afternoon, and maybe a short weight workout. cold wet windy weather, not nice at all. some snow and hail tossed in just for fun.
did cyclemax For 40 min. No timer on this one either and that was it for me There is not much difference between the spins except the countdown timers. Even the music sounds the same. Can get a lot of work done in a short time

Last edited:
Good morning,

Sorry I did not make it here yesterday. No workout yesterday, today I did Live Strong Express Upper Body, 36 minutes, 179 calories. We had a huge wind storm Saturday night/Sunday morning. Lots of folks without power, we were lucky. It did knock down one of our downspouts though. I spend most of the weekend answering ad inquires about my Saab. I put it on a national website and the responders asked for a lot more specific pictures than I had. I had to have the storage place take a lot of pics and email them to me. I guess I should have thought ahead about that before putting it in storage.

Diane Sue, thanks for starting the thread for this week. Nice job on the weight work.

Valerie, you are doing great with the spinning workouts!

Hi to Carolyn, Judy, & Lori

Take care,

This morning I did IMAX 4 for 44 minutes and 339 calories burned. My average heart rate was 134 and maximum heart rate was 157. I also did the bonus chair stretch for 16 minutes and 30 calories burned. IMAX 4 is starting to grow on me and I enjoyed it much more this time than I did initially.

Deb, nice job with the Live Upper Body workout. I hope the sale of your Saab works out.

Hello to Diane Sue, Valerie, Judy, and Lori.

we also got snow last night, probably killing our chance to go to MT right now. we will have ongoing freezing temps for several days, and then our time window to travel gets too narrow. the mt passes have been and still are a mess. this morning when we turned on the heat the heat pump, it didn't start. the auto defrost didn't work so we probably need to replace it. had to pour hot water on it to defrost it. we can't go off when its freezing outside if the furnace might not come on when the temp drops. ( hello frozen pipes!) we thought heat pump was not acting quite right and were hoping to get another year out of it, but no. it has been sucking down more power than it used to so we had it on the agenda for this year but not until spring. well, that got decided for us. its working Ok after starting up but it might not start when the indoor temp drops to 50- something where its set.

I'm enjoying the spinning but the same thing happened with this disk on a premix where it went from one song to another in a flash with about 1 second sit down break. a lot of the same music is used on several disks, and it seems like the main difference is the count down timers. there is not much variety in moves on a spin bike. sitting, standing, surging or hovers. I get almost no posture difference so I m going to move the seat forward and see if that helps. I've been able to get my standing pedal cadence up to 75 from my previous top speed or 63-65 or so. I need to get in a posture break so take it as needed, and then get back up.

Deb, do people really buy cars long distance like that? would you need to ship it somewhere?

Valerie, I didn't believe it either until I looked into a website that specifically is for people that sell and buy Saabs. It sounded scary to me buying a car "sight unseen" but apparently they do! The buyer is responsible for all the shipping arrangements and costs. The biggest thing is not to accept any checks, even "certified" as there are a lot of sophisticated scammers out there. Paypal only, and make sure the $$ is actually in your account, and can be moved to your banking account. Most of those scammers don't really want the car, they want to manipulate you in a way that gets them some money!

This morning I did Step Sync, 57 minutes, 302 calories, heart rate average 129, max 146, met 6.3, 5,917 steps. I then did Step Boss abs 2, 10 minutes, 41 calories, heart rate 121 average, 147 max, met 4.0, 96 steps. I finished with the Step Boss Extended Chair stretch, 15 minutes, heart rate average 96, average 131, 21 calories, 10 steps. Total time was 82 minutes, calories 364, 6,023 steps. I have been cleaning house and steps are 10,349 right now. That is great for me. Tomorrow is ladies game day so I may come back from there and do Kelly's 5 day strength chest and triceps. I have to leave early enough to find the house since we are doing it at someone different this time.

Carolyn, Sundays are generally my rest day too. I don't know why, but I am getting much lower cardio calorie burns with my new Fit Bit Versa 2 watch. Today was pretty low, but I realize the heart rate was probably correct. I felt I was working, but not really winded that much. I think once I get the moves down and a workout flows well is when I start enjoying it. I doubt anyone enjoys something when they are still trying to get the moves correct. I thought that there was a mix that was all of Step Sync and the Intermediate bonus step, but I checked and the one that is a mix of the two is shorter than the actual Step Sync is. I was a bit surprised. I may try that one one day though. I think it is combos 1 and 2 of both workouts and finished product?

Valerie, I think that the music is different on Pedal Power. I always like certain segments and their music. Music makes a difference to me. It seems one of the workouts, not Pedal Power, has more seated in it. I just know when I sit too long I rub the insides of my thighs too much on the seat, and even the gel seat cover does not help with it. I really don't like sitting and leaning over the handlebars for too long. It is uncomfortable. I really noticed when I was having that painful arm neck and shoulder problem. Kelly Coffey does some different things like stretching one arm up and shifting to other arm up and some push up moves on the handlebars while pedaling in some of her Ripped and Ride workouts. Those are off and on the bike though and I like them a lot better than just doing a spin workout. You definitely would not want to leave if the furnace isn't working right. I worry about mine, as it is old and we have been here 6 years. I think the thermostat may be a problem though. It was put in by the electric company to help save on our electricity and it seems to have a hard time firing up. I have had to manipulate the thermostat a few times to get the heater to cut in. Upstairs works fine though. Wish our vents were not in the floor downstairs.

Deb, I hope that you get it sold quickly and then you won't have to answer calls and provide pictures. That is a task I would have my husband do. I do not enjoy answering questions about something like that. It seems there are so many scammers out there, it is worrisome. They seem to manage to find all kinds of ways to rip people off.

wow... I can't imagine buying a vehicle off an internet ad. yes that sounds like scams could be around. of course, I could not imagine buying a lot of things that I now purchase without seeing them since amazon arrived.

did Stacked upper body after starting x train burn sets and realizing I don't want to work that hard today. xc skiing uses a lot of upper body so I don't want to start out tired. I did stacked upper and abs 2. we want to ski tomorrow if we can, depending on how roads are in the morning. we didn't have a problem today here, except for the heat pump pooping out on us, roads were OK most of the day. we are putting our trip off until feb.

I like music, but not much of the music on the spin disks. its mainly background noise with a beat to me, unless I really DON'T like a particular song. the ones I dislike really get on my nerves while the rest are just OK. I don't really like much music these days. sounds synthetic and uninteresting to me. I don't HATE it, but I just never hear much that I actually like. I hope that doesn't sound too cranky but I dislike rap and nobody does decent rock anymore.

This morning I did Step Boss PHA 3 which was 60 minutes and 351 calories burned. My average heart rate was 122 and maximum heart rate was 155. PHA 3 really works the lower body, in my opinion. I can feel it already.

Diane Sue, great job with Step Sync, Step Boss Abs, and chair stretch. I really like the chair stretch. You are right that the step workouts are more fun once you start to learn the choreography.

Valerie, nice job with Stacked Sets Upper Body. I can understand not wanting to do Burn Sets the day before cross country skiing.

Deb, I’m not sure that I would even attempt to sell a car over the internet! It sounds like you have considered everything and have the process well planned.

Hello to Judy and Lori.

I finally got a workout in this afternoon. It is hard to push myself and I am tired, but I got it done :)
I did Raw 5 day strength day 2 chest and triceps followed by day 5 stretch. Day 2 was 33 minutes, heart r ate average 120, max 150, 130 calories, 351 steps. Day 5 stretch was 36 minutes, heart rate average 108, max 147, 95 calories, 102 steps. Total time was 69 minutes, 225 calories, 453 steps.
Weights
Incline flys 15# dbs, 10 reps 5 sets
flat bench press 17.5 dbs 8 reps 2 sets, 15# dbs 3 8 reps 3 sets
Single arm kickbacks palm up 12# db 1 set 10 reps, 10# db 4 sets 10 reps
seated single arm overhead extension 12# db, 10 reps 2 sets 12# db 8 reps 12# 2 sets, 12# db 1 set 6 reps
variations on crunches

Roads and weather were not good this morning so I later on did a 50 min spin. good enough. used pedal power this time. I am able to work harder when I know how long the song will last.

Good morning

No workout yesterday, but I did manage to get 10,140 steps in. That's pretty easy when you take 2 dogs to training. :) Wow what a surprise that Cathe sprung yesterday on that new set of DVD's! Anyone else preordering? It's a bargain for 6 workouts, with bonuses and premixes.

Diane Sue, I see you also got in over 10k in steps the other day, good job, especially since you are also doing workouts! There are no calls with the ad for the car, only email requests. If someone got to be very serious, I would definitely speak with them. I would also be a nervous wreck if I thought my heat could possibly go off at any time. With our luck it would be in the middle of the night on the weekend.

Valerie, good job on the spinning workouts! I would say that the most important thing besides the time would be the music.

Carolyn, nice job on PHA3! Kudos for doing the whole thing! It is really tough, and like you said, the lower body parts are very hard.

Judy, I also ordered the new DVD's!

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Today I did Cardio Party for 39 minutes and 293 calories burned. My average heart rate was 133 and maximum heart rate was 154.

Deb, great job with getting 10,000 steps. I try to reach that number most days, but it doesn’t always work out. I was very surprised by Cathe’s announcement about the new series. I plan to preorder but I haven’t done it yet. I’m happy that she will include a yoga workout.

Diane Sue, kudos to you for doing an afternoon workout.

Valerie, your area of the country has had some nasty weather lately. Hopefully you will be able to get your skiing soon.

Judy, I hope that your work schedule has settled down to be more what you wanted. Things must be much quieter now that the holidays are over.

Hello to Lori.

Today was supposed to be the stormiest and it's cold but otherwise pretty benign. not windy and only a little more snow. we were almost counting on a power out and a load more snow. I need to recheck the forecast. sometimes it feels like they make it up as they go along. roads are still a mess but not as bad as yesterday.

I didn't look at the new series yet. not sure I need any more workouts although I know the presale is great pricewise, but I'm thinking I have enough.

I'm a fan of afternoon workouts. I am WAY too hungry to workout before breakfast, but I used to try and do them mid morning. I find the time before dinner keeps me out of the kitchen and snacking, and it makes me plan ahead better for dinner. its funny because when we ride, hike or ski we always go in the am but indoor workouts I prefer later. our workout area in the basement doesn't get heat so its cool down there, probably about 50-55. sweating doesn't happen much!

we are getting our furnace ( heat pump) replaced on Monday. it has worked fine since the first morning when it froze in place but we knew it was becoming more inefficient. might as well do it now and be done. it will have a new thermostat that we can monitor remotely. our old one is mounted too high on the wall and I've never been able to read it. need to stand on my toes and use a flashlight to see the print along the bottom edge that is invisible if you are short. the new one is bigger and should be readable for me.

by the time roads get better, it will be quite warm ( 45-50) so the snow will not be very good anymore. colder temps are better for nice snow.

Last edited:
Carolyn, I see the NG's are offering a wintr cleanse. Did you ever do one of these? I know you did Mega Energy ( I did that one too!)...

Deb, I saw that NG email too. I was actually considering doing this one. I did an End of Summer cleanse 3 years ago. It served as a mental and physical reset for me. A seven day program is relatively easy to do.

Hi Everyone,

Monday I did Yin Yoga with a Jessica Smith stretch. Yesterday I did an hour of Peloton rides before work. Today I did RWH Lift it Hiit it-Chest, Shoulders & Triceps with Abs One. I added on KCM Raw Legs & Glutes finisher. I decided to start the 1 month RWH rotation next Monday. We have a new weekend forecast that includes lots of snow. It's going to start Friday night, with 4-8 inches by Saturday morning.
I preordered Cathe's new workout series yesterday. It looks like another good one!

Deb-I was so surprised when I saw a new series announced yesterday! I was ready to order before I even knew what the series was, lol! Great job on the steps!

Carolyn-Home Depot is so quiet right now! My schedule is much better. I'm getting 4 hour shifts, and only 2-3 days a week. This will probably go until March, then I have to decide if I want to go all in with the spring season like I did last year. I'm not sure I can work that much again, but I'll probably work full time on weekends.

Diane Sue-Great workouts this week! It is hard for me to do afternoon workouts. Nice job with Raw 5 Day Strength. I plan on doing that later this year. I need to do more of the Raw workouts.

Valerie-I feel that way about our forecasts too, like they are making it up as they go. It's good that today wasn't as bad as you expected. Nice job with the spin workouts! I love Pedal Power!

Hi to Lori!

Judy

Carolyn, thanks for the info. I was wondering how they say "you can pick the start date"..and then say that they have a private FB group for support etc. Was it very expensive? Did you have to do a lot of cooking?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.