Penagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/20

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Today I did LIVE Ice Total Body Compound , 42 minutes, 267 calories. This is somewhat like the DVD version, but I think its a little harder. She does some different moves in this.

Valerie, I hope you are able to find some heavier DB's soon. There is no second hand workout exchange gear type place around there? We have a couple of those here, but they are probably out of everything. 4 or 5 Nordic Tracks.. there must have been something about them that you liked. I hated ours from the first day we (actually John) got it. I never felt comfortable on it....just get not get smooth movement etc. It became one of the infamous "dust collectors", and was used for many other things, like hanging junk on it. I actually was responding to something on the forum about it, when someone posted that she always wanted one, and she just happened to live here, so all she had to do was come and pick it up. I was happy to get it out of my workout area.

Diane Sue, with how you describe the learning sessions, I can't see how any children under 12 could do this alone. Glad you found a Live workout that you like! I like when Cathe messes up...it makes is more "real" or something. On the Burn Sets Lower Heavy Weights, she keeps doing static lunges, when we are supposed to be doing rear lunges....it's kind of funny.

Cathy, can you just sign into the Cathe Live without using the app? I found that the apps never worked for me. I just signed into the site, just like signing into the forums.

Carolyn, nice job on Lower Body Circuit. Yes, this Superset PHA is a little harder, because instead of one upper, one lower, she does 2 of each, for 8 exercises in a set, then repeats the whole thing,,,then does another set of 8 different exercises. I was wiped out.

Judy, how are things going at HD?

Waving to Lori,

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

This morning I did Live PHA Supersets. I loved it! This will be one of my favorites! She really packed a lot of work into 43 minutes.

Deb-Things are going pretty well at HD. It's not as busy since garden season is over. I think more people are ordering online and doing curbside pickup too so not quite as many customers in the store. I'm just taking it day by day and will decide whether or not to go back on leave if things get bad during the flu season. If everyone keeps wearing masks and social distancing it might not be as bad.

I have to work this afternoon so I will check back in later.

Have a great Sunday!

Did my first LIVE workout. Fit Tower: Light Total Body. If you hate Barre, don't do this one. After the warm up you do barre legs, then upper body, then more barre legs, pushups, planks and then abs. It's a really thorough workout and that high rep, light weight upper body section is killer!

Deb and Judy-seems like it's the day for Live workouts. I'll be making note of what you guys say about the ones you do. Deb that's what I ended up doing, I'll see what they say when they answer my questions, but I'll probably end up doing the same.

Judy I hope things continue to go smoothly for you at work. In the area, I shop mask wearing is pretty much 100%, but I know that's not happening everywhere.

Carolyn it's funny you mentioned buying scones because you were hungry. My oldest does a daily Oatmeal Chat on SnapChat where he posts a pic of his "daily oatmeal" and inspirational/goal stuff, and today one was "never shop hungry." A rule to live by for sure. It's gotten me in trouble enough times in my life when I ignored it. LOL Good job with that RWH workout.

Diane Sue is it possible that it's just an issue with your Fitbit? I haven't notice mine doing that, but I have a Charge 3. After my Versa exploded on me last summer (okay the face popped open and broke while I was driving) I opted for something more basic. Maybe you could contact Fitbit and ask them. Definitely making note of that Live workout. For quite a while I didn't do much step, but ever since Step Boss I've been really enjoying it. At my Whole Foods they have a big row of freezers and refrigerators up front for all the delivery/pick up orders, probably spent too long in a vehicle.

Valerie glad you got the disk to work. Always better when it's the disk needing to be cleaned and not the player. Hope you had a great hike. I'm still processing RGB's death. We all knew she had severe health issues, but it seemed like she'd keep going forever.

Today is a rest day for me and I need it after a week of RWH. One thing that I’ve learned about the RWH workouts is they really exhaust me after a few days.

Deb, nice job with Live ICE Total Body Compound.

Judy, great job with Live PHA Supersets. I’m so glad that things are better for you at HD.

Cathy, congratulations on getting the Live workout going. This does seem like the day for Cathe Live. The sad thing about the scone is that it wasn’t that good! I will have to make my own soon to satisfy my craving. Cranberry orange or pumpkin scones just seem to go with fall weather for me.

Hello to Valerie, Diane Sue, and Lori.

Carolyn-I feel the same way about RWH. I really think it's Cathe's hardest series, or close to it.

Cathy-Thank you. Most of the people in this area seem to be wearing masks too. That Live Fit Tower workout sounds tough! Great job!

Deb-I'll have to try the Live ICE workout. It sounds like a good one.

Hi to Valerie, Diane Sue & Lori,

we hiked this morning with our neighbors. 4 hours. not a hard trail but it was at about 7500 feet so the elevation factors in.

glad you are doing OK at HD Judy. we have good compliance with masks both places, WA and MT. most businesses require masks. everyone in the grocery store is masked. we drove over with our camper on, so gasoline stops were fill up gasoliine, and pee in our camper. zero contact. places with travelers tend to be low compliance.

yes RBG had our backs! I absolutely loved her. reading her life story is like a painful review of what things were like for women in the 60's and 70's. young people have no clue! all that work in college and then getting told you can't fit in because its a man's job, or told you need your fathers signature to take out a home mortgage.

My scone mix is cranberry orange. will try to bake them when we can enjoy them fresh from the oven.
Cathy "never shop hungry" is so true! the worst junk always looks good then.

we looked on amazon and a dvd player is now about $40. blue ray was more but for workouts I don't need anything fancy, just functional. we have an old Toshiba but seemed fine with the cleaned DVD.
DH had looked up a exercise equipment place, and I had talked to them about dumbbells. I never asked what city the store was in. used to be one in bozeman, but long gone. getting dumbbells at a "Play it again " sports outlet is based on luck.... if they just happen to have what you want. I can probably get some weights back in WA but didn't want to pay $50 for a pair of 12 lb weights, and this seemed like a sure thing here until we could not find the store. will look at craig's list locally when back in WA.

I was OK with the Nordic tracks when we first got them. they were cheaper than treadmills and we used them to death at first. after a while DH started elevating the front to make it harder. the position killed my back and when I lowered them I'd get my fingers bloodied and whacked every time. when we got a treadmill I switched to it and never went back to the nordic track. the company went thru some bankruptcy issues and product problems too. the room here doesn't have room for two pieces of gear so we will decide on one thing. Id be OK with my step and Cathe cardio but DH doesnt like to do them.

Good evening all!

Been doing good with my morning workouts. I bought a really bright headlamp for our early morning walks. I know this sounds odd but it works great and completely illuminates my walking path to make me feel comfortable and safe. This will allow me to get a longer workout in plus walk GiGi in the morning and leave while it is still dark. I only need it for about 20 mins until the sun comes up. This will make my mornings less hectic...only 1 shower!! Lol!

Bob left yesterday and went to Navarre to help his parents. Wow the storm really did hit hard. Screen damage over the pool and tons of debris in the pool and all around the house. Plants and shrubs all up rooted. Bob and his BIL went on the roof and saw that it is heavily damaged. They are having an insurance adjuster come. All and all it could have been a lot worse. We are grateful my inlaws were away and not home.

I have heard heavy dumbbells are hard to come by. A few months back a good friend of mine, who body builds, was having a hard time getting heavy dumbbells. He always worked out at a gym and had no weights at home. He was thrilled when I told him I had a few if he was interested in.. I had 45lbs, 40 and 30’s. I had not used them in a while and unlikely I would ever again - I have changed my workouts to lighter weights/hi reps. There was no way I was going to bring them to Florida. I did bring 20’s and below, plus a 30 and 25 body bar. This is plenty for me!

Deb...I do not use the Cathe Live app. I have always just signed into her web site. This works for me.

Carolyn...good for you doing RWH workouts! They are so hard and yes exhausting! Don’t blame you for taking a rest day!! Congrats to you!

Judy...great it is not as busy and people are wearing their masks. I hate going into a store and seeing people not wearing a mask. I agree...I think RWH is one of her hardest series.

Cathy...I love Barre and I love all the FT workouts!

RBG was an amazing woman. She will be missed.

Have a great evening ladies!

Lori this has been a tough year for hurricanes. they have run the alphabet and it's not done yet.

its not hard to find small dumbbells like 5's but 12 lbs and up are generally not available. I understand dumbbells are not the same level of need as TP or hand sanitizer, but I don't understand if they aren't being made at all , or if they get bought up instantly and never get on the shelf. we have one set of 15, 20, 25, 30 , 35. I'd be happy with 12, 15, 20. when we get back to WA I will head to an exercise store and just get them. I'm sure things will eventually loosen up but I'm tired of waiting.

Costco is a good place for headlamps and flashlights. they have nice ones usually of 3. we keep one in every car and several in our WA house. power outs are common for us in winter and "lights on" with hands free is so useful. even if you're careful, headlamps are fragile and don't hold up. theyre smaller and lighter but not very tough. we have trouble with batteries leaking and corroding the inside. take the batteries out when you're done using them for the year.

pleading ignorance here... but which series is RWH?

Last edited:
Today I did Live Advanced Step Choreography. Diane Sue I think I made note of that after you did it. Good workout. It died at about the 33 minute mark, so I had to mess with it a bit to get it started again. I don’t think it was the wifi, as we can have multiple people streaming at one time, and all DH is doing right now is working. Hopefully, it was a one time thing. I had 27 minutes peak cardio, average bpm 133 and burned 262 calories.

Carolyn you deserved a rest after a week of RWH! and why is it that when we treat ourselves to something like that it rarely is as good as we anticipated?

Valerie sounds like you had a great hike with your neighbors. The sad thing with all the weights being bought up is that once things get back open, all those people who bought them because they couldn’t go to the gym won’t need them anymore.

Lori that’s great that you solved your problem for walking in the mornings. I’m sure it’s making things much easier for you. Sorry to hear how much damage was done to your in-laws home. I hope the insurance company is helpful. And you’re right it was good that they were away.

Hi to everyone else!

This morning I did LIS Cardio Supersets. That was 41 minutes and 248 calories burned. My average heart rate was 122 and maximum heart rate was 157. We got our flu shots this morning. I have a doctors appointment Friday, but decided to get the flu shot at the pharmacy so that we could both have it done.

Valerie, that’s great that you hiked with your neighbors. RWH is Ripped With HiiT, Cathe’s series from 2014. The upper body strength work is excellent, but it’s exhausting to use it with the cardio workouts because of the HiiT. I do low impact versions of everything, but I usually just add in a workout here and there. I did the RWH rotation when it first came out, but only made it through 3 weeks.

Lori, I’m glad that you have a solution for the early morning routine. Your friend was probably thrilled to get your heavy dumbbells.

Cathy, nice job with Live Advanced Step Choreography. The new clip from Perfect 30 is up on Facebook. They posted it at noon. It should be on the forum soon if it’s not there already.

Hello to Diane Sue, Deb, and Judy.

Carolyn, thanks. I didn't get that series. I usually get flu shot in early October and will do that again.

we rode this morning, a closed rough road. 1.5 hours uphill, and then 40 min back down. really pretty scenery and a steady uphill climb helps leg endurance. only pleasantly tired now so riding regularly sure helps legs.

I am tired. I had such a hard time falling asleep last night, then when I did it was about an hour and I woke and watched the clock most of the night. My silent alarm did not go off and I was scrambling when I got up. I unlocked the door for my daughter and the children and ran upstairs to get dressed. I did Cathe Live Cardio Leg Crush# 241, 46 minutes, 214 calories, heart rate 121/163, 3,750 steps, and I used 12# dumbbells for all of the weight work. I kind of liked this one. I wanted to do Kelly's Raw Body Fit, but I am still having a lot of pain in my neck and shoulders and just was not up to some of the moves even though they are body weight. After I did the CL workout I did Lindsey Samper neck and shoulder stretch for 14 minutes, 15 calories, 57 steps??(this is all seated or lying on the floor) Total time was 60 minutes, 3,807 steps, 229 calories. I did not help myself out yesterday with the family dinner, cake and chips. It is no wonder my pain was even worse last night. No workout yesterday.
My husband ordered me some of the things that I had on my wish list on Amazon last night. I have Walk Strong 3 with Jessica Smith coming, some new workout capris and sports bra, the super feet shoe inserts I keep putting off spending 50 dollars on, that I had put in there. So I am excited about getting them Wednesday. I am looking forward to having the Walk Strong 3 workouts after having a friend let me try them out from her downloads.
I had extra calories show up on my fitbit for cycling yesterday. I finally figured it was when I went out after everyone left and mowed with the rotary push mower in back.

Yesterday I did LiTe PHA 2 with the bonus abs. I also did a short Peloton ride.

Valerie-I agree about places with travelers being low compliance. It will be a long time before I feel comfortable going anywhere. I agree about RBG. She was amazing and she accomplished so much in her life.

Lori-Wearing a head lamp is a great idea. Chris and I both have one for running/walking in the evening.
Dumbbells are very hard to come by now. I'm so glad I put my gym together when I did and got everything at normal prices.

Cathy-Great job with Live Advanced Step Choreography. The Perfect 30 clip posted yesterday looks great! I can't wait to get the new workouts.

Carolyn-Great job with LIS Cardio Supersets. We got our flu shots at CVS last week.

Diane Sue-I'm sorry about your sleep last night. Nice job with Cathe Live Cardio Leg Crush. I need to look at that one. I'm also going to look at the neck & shoulder stretch you mentioned. That's great that you are getting Walk Strong 3. You will like that series. That's funny about Fitbit thinking mowing was cycling. I've had mine show an elliptical workout when I was at work.

Hi to Deb!

its obvious that when people go on vacation, they don't do what they're supposed to. the gas station stops, especially ones with some sort of food service, seems like compliance is about 10%. employees are masked and not many others. we bring most supplies with us, snacks and water, coffee etc. we drove the camper so we even had a bathroom. stores where " locals "shop, groceries and hardware, compliance was quite good. just the rest stops and gas stations where no one was masked.

I'm pleased that I'm able to ride strongly uphill even at altitude. yesterday was steady uphill for 90 minutes. we stop briefly several times to pace ourselves, posture break. back down was only about 30 min and it takes that long to rest hands from constant braking. hiking today. want to go places here before hunting season revs up.

Good morning ladies!

yesterday was a rest day from my workouts. I still took GiGi for a 30 min walk in the morning, plus a 20 minute walk in the evening. This morning was a SB Adv bounce and I added in a 10 min hamstring workout. Then walked GiGi. I am liking the head lamp a lot. I had one when we first got GiGi and used it for a while but then my walks shifted to day and it was not needed. I stupidly forgot it behind when I moved. Getting my 29 year old son to mail it to me will take forever! So I bought an inexpensive one to hold me over.

I like the looks so far of the new workouts. The length is perfect for me with all the walking I am doing!

Valerie! I noticed the same while we were driving here...larger stores everyone practiced decent social distancing and wore masks. Gas stations and small convenient stores...not so much. We only stopped when we had too to avoid the interaction. Congrats on that hill! Good for you!

Judy...I have been seeing the Peloton app has so much more than cycling. Looks like a bunch of different workouts. Yes if you waited on your gym you would be at a loss. I am very happy with the weight selection I brought. My son and Chelsie are happy because they made out well with our exercise equipment and weights we left behind. Ready made gym for them!

Cathy...great job on the adv step!! I avoid all step workouts, although I do like the interval max‘s and tabatacise...

Carolyn...I was the same way with RWH...it exhausted me! I did not finish the rotation either. I loved the workouts - just too much hiit for my liking.

Diane Sue...That was so sweet your husband ordered the items for you! You will like Walk Strong 3 - it’s a great program. Hoping you sleep better tonight.

Hi to Deb!!

Have a great day all!

Today I did X Train Chest, Back, and Shoulders. My time was 54 minutes with 218 calories burned. Average heart rate was 108 and maximum heart rate was 158.

Valerie, great job with your uphill riding. You should be very proud of your strength and endurance. I think that you would like the RWH Upper Body workouts.

Diane Sue, I’m sorry that you weren’t able to sleep well which left you tired yesterday. I hope that last night was better. Great job with Live Cardio Leg Crush and Lindsey Samper stretch under those circumstances. That’s wonderful that your husband ordered those items for you. You will enjoy having WS3 with all of the variety.

Judy, nice work with PHA2+Bonus Abs.

Lori, I’m glad to see that you took a rest day. Are things going well with your new job? Less stressful I hope.

Hello to Deb and Cathy.

Today was walk at the zoo, but I did Live All on the Floor Core this morning. It's 34 minutes long and at 8 minutes, I was like "maybe I'll make 15" LOL Next time I looked it was 22 minutes and I figured I could make it the rest of the way then. I modified a couple things, but did most of it though maybe not always the same number of reps. ;) Walked an hour and 47 minutes with an average bpm of 103. Only 20 minutes of it actually got considered cardio. Total calorie burn was 399.

Diane Sue I'm sorry you had so much trouble sleeping. I hope last night was better. That's wonderful that your husband ordered you all that stuff! I sure hope your neck and shoulders get better soon. Neck pain is always so horrible to deal with especially at night.

Judy great job on PHA2! That's my favorite of the PHA workouts.

Valerie when I went up to see the boys everyone inside the restaurants and gas stations was masked, but outside pretty much no one was. 90 minutes riding uphill is pretty amazing!

Lori sounds like you got in a good workout and walk this morning. Glad that you've smoothed out your morning routine to fit it all in.

Here's a pic of my sister's new puppy. She works from home and I honestly don't see how she gets any work done with something that adorable present!

CF62B8E2-20E7-4A79-805A-CC6ED0D13518.jpeg

oh boy.... puppy is a cutie!. what breed is it?

we did a hike today, 4 hours and a few minutes. ended up at 8600 plus feet. saw moose prints but no moose or anything else. september is rough for seeing wildlife.

it really seems like people go on vacation and toss normal behavior aside. I see how that can happen but it doesnt take much to grab the mask and do like you would do every other day.

Lori it will cost him plenty to mail a headlamp, probably as much to mail it as it cost. just get another one. good to hear you have your new routine all sorted out and everyone is happy.

This morning I did Live Circuit Cardio Crush. Very fast moving. Six rounds of cardio, lower body, upper body, and core. I used 5-15 lb Weights. Noticed 25 minutes in that I hadn’t hit start on my FitBit. :(

Valerie he’s a Cotin de Tulear. Unfortunately for him, he ate something on one of his walks that upset his tummy and he spent 10:45 last night till 4 this morning at the emergency vet. They will have to be really vigilant about his outdoor snacking. Do you want to see a moose? I’ve spent four years driving up to Marquette and wanting to see one and haven’t yet. But, I want to see it a reasonable distance off the road. My car and a moose would not be a good combo. They brought in 59 moose from Canada in the 80’s and there are over 500 now. What else do they have where you are? The UP has moose, black bear, wolves and mountain lions, though it took the DNR years to admit that there are mountain lions up there. They’ve confirmed 6 sightings this year. Generally from trail cams. They don’t tend to believe people.

Hi to everyone else-hope you all have a great day!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.