Penagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/6

Good morning Deb. I just showed up to start us but its done!

I did quite a bit yesterday. the half hour mt bike in am, then later I did 1.25 on the treadmill and perfect 30 upper body. I like that one, a lot done in not much time and no dread factor for me.

Hello Ladies. Today is my rest day. I did my short yoga first thing but nothing else. My daughter just arrived and it’s so good to finally be with her. I hope that everyone is having a good day. Take care.

I did Live Arms and Abs on the ball today. It's 55 minutes and very thorough. Works one area at a time. Definitely not easy and while I can often hang with Cathe on lower body weights, the same just can't be said for upper.

Valerie glad you got some good workout time in yesterday. I agree with you about P30 Upper Body. Nice short but good workout.

Carolyn glad your daughter arrived safely. Enjoy your visit. The boys have already been home almost 2 weeks and time is just flying by.

This morning I did Perfect 30 Strength and Flexibility timesaver stretch skipping the last 3 minutes because of time. I am not sure how the next 3 days will be getting workouts in. My grandson has scheduled zoom testing at 11:30 Mon and Wed. This is between classes and work and around the time I normally get a work out in. Tuesday I will be at a friends house making baskets for our lock in elderly friends. I think a pod is being delivered Friday so we can pack up some things to unclutter the house. I am tired so this all seems overwhelming. My husband surprised me and set up the tree and decorated it Friday night :) My allergies have been so bad and I called my daughter and asked her if I could take two of the Allegra at one time as one 60 mg does not work. She said she suggests to her patients that they take something else like zertec or claritin rather than the same allergy tablet. Anyway, those make my dry mouth worse and make me drowsy. I ended up waiting 5 hours and took a second allegra ( I ordered the 180 mg 24 hour that arrived today) I took a claritin last night late and this morning used flonase. Talk about sleepy this afternoon! I just messed up when I bought the 12 hour milder Allegra the last time. I really think maybe when things calm down I will try to get to an allergist. My daughter said her best friend's husband who is a physician is getting the allergy shots. He is having some problems with it though, but trying to stick it out. I will be interested in seeing how he does.

Carolyn, I am glad that your daughter made it there. Have a wonderful time together.

Deb, thanks for starting us today.

Valerie, Perfect 30 is nice for shorter workouts and I really like all of them.

I did 30min on the elliptical , perfect 30 mobility, and abs from X train.

diane sue I think you are right and should see an allergist. at minimum.... one should be able to narrow down what you're allergic to. At the time I was tested they put a dot of antigen On a tiny scratch on The skin and watched to see how you reacted.
this time of year ... not much grass or tree /plant pollen. mold or some other substance present in the air indoors? I would want to know. I did much better with allergens after desensitization shots but I still limit contact. my main one is grass pollen. DH mows the lawn, and I don't golf so that covers much of it. need an occasional zyrtec/claritin/ benadryl. whatever. much less of a problem than when I was 20-ish.
things have likely changed since I did it long ago, but it was a tiny prick of an injection. then sat in the office for half hour after to be sure no bad reaction. knowing what I was allergic to helped immensely. if you're at home and having symptoms, how could you know what to limit exposure to? WAY too many possibilities. I tested positive to a whole range of odd things, like horses. well, easy to fix that. I've seldom had a problem since. other plant pollens can cause short term problems but if I need a zyrtec 3 days a year, I'm fine with that.

Carolyn enjoy your visit with your daughter.

Last edited:
Today I did RWH Low Impact HiiT One for 28 minutes and 197 calories burned. My average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 163. I just finished putting up our small Christmas tree. It’s feels good to have some holiday decorations up.

Cathy, nice job with Live Arms and Abs.

Diane Sue, P30 Strength and Flexibility is a good stretch. I hope that you can get some relief for your allergies.

Valerie, great job with the elliptical, P30 Mobility and XTrain Abs. I did X Train Core 1 Saturday and I have really been feeling it the last two days!

Hello to Judy, Lori, and Deb.

Today I did Live Kick Punch Cardio. 50 minutes and a good workout. I've reached the point of doing air jacks again. Regular jacks my knee doesn't like but air jacks don't bother it. Go figure. Boys have dentist appointments tomorrow and we have to leave at 8:15, so I told Nick he has to make sure I workout when I get home. Whatever it takes, short of shoving me down the stairs! LOL

Diane Sue good luck squeezing in a workout the next few days. Sometimes life just puts it on a back seat. I agree about the allergist. Always have been thankful I've not had to deal with allergies.

Valerie and Carolyn great job on the workouts!

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did KCM Raw Lift & Box. Today I did Cathe Live #309 Push Pull Total Body Heavy Weights. I felt like doing a little more so I added Live #140 Low Impact Cardio Hiit.

Carolyn-Nice job with RWH! I hope you have a great time with your daughter.

Diane Sue-I'm sorry about the allergies. I know how hard they are to deal with. I still deal with them to some degree every day too. I think it's a good idea to see an allergist.

Valerie-Great job with the elliptical, P30 Mobility and the ab workout.

Cathy-Nice job with Live Kick, Punch Cardio. That one sounds good! I'm not very good at air jacks. I usually sub in regular jacks when those come up.

Hi to Deb & Lori!

Today I did Perfect 30 Low Impact Hiit, 31 minutes, 152 calories, heart rate 119/160, 2884 steps.
That is all I had time for. It was a busy day. Tomorrow I will take a rest day. My neck is better today, but still even doing low impact, bouncing around hurt a bit. I changed the filter on my air purifier in the bedroom today as the change light had come on. I noticed when I checked out local pollen report that some were medium range today and yesterday. I am going to get together with some of the ladies and make the Christmas baskets up for our shut in friends tomorrow and let my two grandchildren do their work on their own. Maybe give the 6 year old a new movie to watch while I am out. He had testing this morning and we have a scheduled testing on Wednesday.

Valerie, I can't help but think some of the problem is the when the furnace is running. I always get a bit of a reprieve for several weeks then winter hits and bam I am a mess. I change filters often though. Also I have been outside a lot more lately trying to keep up with leaves and that new sod. So I am sure that is not helping either. My husband reminded me that I had allergy testing before. I vaguely remember as it was so long ago my children were still young not adults with grown children. I cannot remember what I was allergic to. My oldest daughter is allergic to kapok, feathers, latex and mold and has developed some others over the years. She had lots of skin reactions and stuff as a child. At this point she keeps an epi pen handy for travel and benedryl. She went on vacation and had a reaction in the plane once and was glad she had some benedryl in her purse at the time. Never was sure what caused it. It just seems over the years it has gotten worse and I have tried every natural thing I can and inhalants from the doctors along with the over the counter stuff and they do very little for me other than make me feel crappy. I mow the back yard myself with a push mower. I only used the weed eater once this year. I try to avoid as much as possible and I have worn a mask for several years now when mowing, although I seriously do not think it helps. I just cough and sneeze inside the mask. Produce area of the grocery store and the laundry soap aisles almost always set off coughing fits. I try not to breath and grab what I need and run. It is worse at Walmart as you can smell the cleaners. I started ordering all my cleaners from Amazon or Whole Foods.

Nice work today. I really like the P30 yoga workouts. I like having the mixes when I am short on time, but would love to do them both combined sometime.

Carolyn, I think it makes it feel more like Christmas having the tree up. I did not put out a lot of stuff though since I may be doing packing and cleaning more things out. We set up our glass top coffee table with it's usual Christmas scene. I used to collect figurines and houses that were small from Dillards and have accumulated some other pieces and my children and the grandchildren have always loved it and a lot of time helped set it up. Our coffee table has a black velvet lined drawer that pulls out and I line it with white stuffing and then we set up the scene with a mirror for the pond and santa and mrs claus and elves etc..
That is it except for an outdoor wreath and a couple of items I set on our book shelves.
Nice calorie burn doing RWH low impact cardio.

Cathy, air jacks bother my knees on the landing. I just do jumps more like Cathe's pencil jumps. Grounded jacks are okay. I still have not made my dentist appointment. My last scheduled was February and was cancelled and the the covid virus came and I have not been back. Right now I have two other appointments during the holidays when I do not have the grandchildren. Not sure I want to add the dentist in too. I have a hard time getting in to working out if I have already been up and out the door. One in awhile I can push to do a weight workout or some yoga, but the desire is not there. I am a morning workout person.

Judy, great workouts the last two days. Box and lift is fun. Hopefully I can get in another heavy bag Raw workout later this week. She has the two with different upper body work between boxing. I have yet to do the just heavy bag one which is the shortest.

I kept it simple... 40 min on the elliptical. close to 5000 steps at level 9. ours has the arm levers so a good total body workout. I get more steps in less time with upping increasing the resistance.
I'm not very good at jumping vertically at all anymore. I do half jacks! any less jumpy modification.

diane sue as I remember, they measured reaction to the various antigens, showing weak to stronger. keep in mind this is AGES ago. I didnt care if I was allergic to horse and cow dander, but dog and cat would have been significant. I did react to cats but not strongly. I never had problems. so I had a list of things at the end but most were not a concern. grass/ tree pollen were significant. so mowing threw up grass pollen plus all the tree pollen that landed on the grass. I'm sure testing is more complete these days, plus probably a lot more things to check for sensitivity to. I then had the choice to do desensitization shots. it took a couple weeks as I remember but easily workable.
maybe selling your house/moving will be beneficial if it's something in the house itself, like carpeting? it might give a clue what to avoid where you move to. I was miserable in wisconsin and would have gone to the moon to get some relief. throat itching was unbearable! it started in late spring and went thru fall. when I moved to WA, symptoms disappeared. then I bought a house and started mowing the grass. it started up again. that's when I got tested, late 1970's. ever since then, I don't mow lawns and no golf, no other big changes. I take an antihistamine a couple days a year if I feel itchy/ sneezy. if they can (or cant) help you, I think it would be a good thing to learn. when detergents and cleaning agents were powders, I had trouble and could taste the soap when in that aisle. now that most are liquid that went away.

Last edited:
This morning I did a timesaver from RWH Back, Biceps, and Shoulders with 2 sets of each exercise and no finishers. That was 34 minutes and 172 calories burned. My average heart rate was 119 and maximum heart rate was 144. After that I did Mobility Basics Stretch timesaver for an additional 20 minutes.

Cathy, nice work with Live Kick Punch cardio. I hope you are able to get in a workout this afternoon. I never have good luck trying to do that. Like Diane Sue, I’m a morning exerciser. If I don’t do it in the morning it’s not likely to happen.

Judy, great job with KCM Raw Lift and Box, CL Push Pull Total Body Heavy
weights, and CL Low Impact Cardio HiiT. Are you still on leave from HD?

Diane Sue, nice job with P30 Low Impact HiiT. It’s wonderful that your group is putting together baskets for shut in friends.

Hello to Valerie, Deb, and Lori. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Diane Sue-Thanks! I really enjoyed the Box & Lift workout. I plan on trying more of her boxing workouts soon.

Carolyn-Thanks! I went back to work today. It's not very busy right now and I'll only be working 16 hours a week for the next month or so.

Well I actually did a workout and didn't start until 1:00! I always put on my workout clothes first thing in the morning and if I haven't started by 10:00 it rarely happens and having to put on something other than workout clothes first is usually the kiss of death. LOL I did Live Total Body Band and Glide. I've done that one before and it's not that hard which was a plus. Neither of the boys had cavities so they were quite happy about that. I'm going tomorrow afternoon and have fingers crossed. Then Nick goes to the eye doctor Friday and Derek next Tuesday and were done with appointments.

Judy nice job with the workouts! I've considered Push Pull Total Body Heavy Weights, but haven't done it yet.

Diane Sue great job with the P30 Low Impact Hiit! I sure hope you are able to find something to help you with the allergies. When Cathe does regular jacks, I generally do heel jacks.

Valerie 40 minutes on an elliptical is a great workout!

Carolyn good job on the workout! That 20 minutes of mobility has become my fave stretch.

No workout today. Things went well though and when I got back from getting the Christmas baskets done we were able to finish school work earlier than usual. I was worried about not being there for morning zoom, but when I got home and was setting up for library zoom I found they did not have morning anyway as zoom was not working. I am tired, so will see how early I can get up. I still need to get school work together for tomorrow.

Valerie, years ago when I had allergy testing they had little patches on my arms and back and I had to keep them dry till I went back to check for reactions. Weird that I do not remember it real well. I know I was glad that it wasn't dogs as I was not going to get rid of the dog at we had at that time. I think they do bring in pollen on them though when they go outside, the same as we pick it up on ourselves. I just know it seems like all pollen allergies seem to affect me as I watch which ones are out there when having a reaction. It seems ragweed and cedar seasons are some of the worst. It would be nice to see if they do a better job figuring out what I am allergic to.
Nice work with the elliptical today. I guess you would be better with step count on an elliptical because the arms are moving at the same time. I wish the spin bike was better at calorie burn, because it does not get many steps.

Carolyn, nice work with RWH back, biceps , and shoulders. One of the ladies we were doing baskets for texted the group today saying she was having problems with her platelets which were 53. She has ITP and gets infusions regularly. Praying she is okay. They did a strep test and covid test, but they are waiting for results. She does not go out at all. She lives with her son and his wife. They have her own suite for her. Several of these ladies are in their 80's and one is 90.

Cathy, good for you getting the workout in even though it was one. I put on workout clothes first thing too. Once changed I do not want to put them back on. That is why, if I get inspired to do something later it is something I can do in my blue jeans, that is not real sweaty as I am not showering again. I have not done band and glide. Band work often sets off pain in my neck and shoulders. I do not know why though. They had me use bands at pt and it set off pain too.

we went shopping today. found free weights, 15's and 20's. 2 pair of hard rubber ended ones, $100. yipes. still have not found 12's. then we bought an elliptical for Montana. DH didn't like the rower so we gave it to neighbors in exchange for the snow plowing the road this winter. the ellipticals are backordered but we will get it by mid january. we will take our old one to MT and keep the newer one here. we went to the Precor store and we got a good price plus a mat to put it on. it will be delivered in Jan. we looked at other brands at a different store first but the precor is more solid, the foot position is better, and costs much less than some others. some we saw were very very expensive. we get a fairly basic Precor one, the one we've had 20 years. its a nice solid machine with basic electronics. I do not want or need all the bells and whistles

I got in workout later. stacked upper body and abs #2 along with trying out a bunch of different machines this morning. I get dinner started and while its in the oven I crank out almost an hour long workout instead of standing in the kitchen thinking about what I can snack on. I like afternoons better especially for weights although I'm flexible. cardio is better earlier. when we hike, ride, or ski, I much prefer morning but for indoor workouts afternoons are best for me. no reasons that I can think of!

off to the dentist early this morning to finish the crown.

Last edited:
Today I did Rockout Knockout timesaver #3 which was 39 minutes and 263 calories burned. My average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 169. I skipped part of the last combo due to time restraints, but it turned out that I didn’t need to do that. I wanted to get finished in time for my WW meeting but I couldn’t log in :(. I thought the problem was on my end but it turns out there were technical problems at that time. They made changes to the virtual meetings and sent out an email that I received after the meeting time. A bit frustrating for me.

Cathy, I’m glad that you were able to get your workout done yesterday. Nice job with Live Total Body Band and Glide.

Diane Sue, the gift basket activity sounds like it was very satisfying. I know the recipients will be happy.

Valerie, that’s great that you finally found some free weights. The new elliptical sounds perfect.

Hello to Judy, Lori, and Deb.

Hello,

No workouts this week....:(. Everyone is doing well with workouts.

Valerie, Perfect 30 upper body is a great workout! Have you done the premix with the bonus? Congrats on the new elliptical, and finding those dumbells!

Carolyn, it's great that your daughter will be there with you for Christmas.

Cathy, it must be nice having the boys there.....yes, time is flying by. When do they have to go back to school?

Diane Sue, it must be exhausting to be getting ready to move, especially with the virtual schooling that you are doing, and trying to do the day to day stuff. Yes, probably a good idea to get to an allergist. You are super sensitive to fragrances... i have purchased some things from Norwex, which uses water only to clean. I may have missed your post on this, but have you purchased a new house? Is it in the same area as where you live now?
I hear you on the morning workouts....also agree that once I leave the house, no workout for that day is going to happen.

Judy, what did you think of Push Pull Total Body Heavy weights? It has become one of my favorite total body workouts. I think Cathe has outdone herself with the workouts she has come up with do to solo. I don't really miss the "class" setting much at all. 16 hours a week sounds like a good compromise.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Today I did Cathe Live #19, Total Body Sculpt.

Deb-I hope you are doing ok. I really like Push Pull Total Body Heavy Weights. I will be doing this one regularly. I agree that Cathe has outdone herself with the Live workouts since March. I don't miss the class setting either.

Carolyn-Great job with Rockout Knockout!

Valerie-Congrats on the new elliptical! I loved the Precor ellipticals when I worked out at the gym.

Diane Sue-We have similar allergies. I've had the testing done twice, once in the 90's and another about 15 years ago. Both times I was allergic to every pollen and highly allergic to ragweed.

Cathy-Sometimes I don't get my workout started until 11 or 12. I used to workout very early in the morning but when I retired from full time work my workout time changed to mid morning.

Hi to Lori!

I did Live IMAX today. Not really sure how I feel about it. I got a good workout, but it seemed like the intensity was really uneven. A few really intense blasts, but quite a few even ones and even the step combos seemed to vary a lot more in intensity than the DVD IMAX's. I forgot to stop my Fitbit until after my shower so my stats weren't accurate. I agree with those of you who said you prefer Live without the class. I feel like those are tougher workouts with less goofs.

This afternoon it was my turn for the dentist. Because I cancelled out appointments this summer, it had been almost a year since I've been in, but I didn't need anything beyond the cleaning. I have some fairly old crowns and fillings, so I was holding my breath. They are wearing a lot more PPE now and they have heavy duty air purifiers in every room. Plus they are spacing people out more and you wait in your car to go in, and no extra people except for younger children and those with disabilities. Really cuts down on the number of people in the office.

Diane Sue glad that your day went well. You certainly have a lot of extra things on your plate these days.

Valerie that's great that you were able to finally get some weights, but :eek: on the price! Always fun to test out exercise equipment. Great job on the workout! Hope everything went smoothly for you at the dentist.

Carolyn so sorry your workout got cut short for nothing. Technical issues are always frustrating.

Judy the boys start class again January 19. Not really sure when they will go back. The dorms open back up about a week early, but while Derek has no reason to go back earlier than he has to, Nick will be interning at the hospital and wants to start as soon as he can. Still not sure when that will be yet though.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.