Penagenarians & Beyond W/B 12/13

Good morning,

Today I did Live Metabolic Circuit.....46 minutes, 253 calories. Really LIKE this one a lot! :). A great total body workout.

Judy, I think you will really like this one, if you haven't already done it.

Cathy, good job on Live IMAX....I have forgotten to stop my FitBit as well....very frustrating. I have never known anyone that was going to be a zoo keeper....very interesting.

Diane Sue, sorry about the allergies. That is tough, especially when out shopping. I give you a lot of credit on the virtual schooling....it sounds like it can be hit or miss with those lessons....I think I would have thrown my hands up and quit by now. Glad you liked the Live 40/20 workout, I have that on my calendar to do tomorrow.

Carolyn, great job on the workouts this past week. How fun that you all wore something red to the meeting. :)

Valerie, I think you will like the Cathe bands. I got the gloves while they were still in stock. I have really small hands so I ordered the "small". When I got them, they were really tight, I thought I would not be able to use them. However, after wearing them a few times, they have stretched out some. I am glad I got the small size. Same here on Target....I avoid it as much as I can...same with Walmart. I completely understand how it can be with getting someone to toss old clothing and stuff....ripped/stained t-shirts "can always be used as rags"...NOPE....they never are turned into rags...etc etc....

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Good morning. I got in 30 in the treadmill and abs from Flex Train yesterday afternoon.

I'm looking forward to new bands. after buying a too easy one with complicated handles, I jumped to a stiffer band with better handles but only use in a limited way. it is so stiff... I can't get decent ROM. I looked at the gloves. small won't do. arthritis made knuckles large on top of having big hands to begin with. I would need a large for sure and those were gone pretty early.

DH has mostly nice clothing, not rag bag stuff. no need for it anymore. for a while he thought he might do limited outside work to keep up his skills, but he liked retirement too much. I realize this is admitting to yourself you are never going back to work. It took me a while for me to get there too. I felt I would find "something" because I wasn't that old and had a lot of ambition yet, but the entire field I worked in totally evaporated in a few short years. Gone! I did my own very small business for a few years, but then that profession disappeared as well. I got the feeling the world was telling me something! trying to start something else didn't seem worth it at that point. my job had worked from home for 10 yrs by then so it wasn't hard to donate all the business suits . I'd been "eased" into it. he doesnt have to get rid of everything but even weddings and funerals are more casual now. 3 - 4 shirts/pants/ties would be plenty.

there are some businesses I will not support. Walmart is one. Target is just annoying. I hate the inefficient checkout. every time I try to get something there.... I cant find it, or they are out of it.

This morning I did Live All In Upper Body. I can't say it's not a good workout because it is, just not my favorite type of workout. And again, I forgot to stop by Fitbit. This time though I had a 3 hour workout! LOL Between operator error and Fitbit being weird I'll be glad when my new smart watch arrives. The company, in their infinite wisdom, is using USPS, so maybe I'll get it before next year. Out of the blue after months of me trying every trick I could find, it suddenly starting giving me notifications again. But, sleep is very hit or miss. The new thing is to do it from when I fall asleep until some random time in the middle of the night. Usually between 3-4 a.m. it'll just stop tracking sleep.

Nick made it to and from his test without issues. His pre test plan this morning got screwed up when he realized that he had registered as Nick, but all his ID is Nicholas and they are supposed to match. So, he wasted time trying unsuccessfully to find a way to change it and leaving early so he could talk to them and make sure it would be okay. It was. But, he didn't get that last test prep in and his head wasn't as focused as it would have been. He's gotten way better at test taking, but that's when he can do all the prep his way. He's one of those straight A's except for test people, so he's had to really work at. We never did find a reason why as none of the typical reasons fit.

Carolyn great job on the workout- excellent calorie burn for a short one.

Diane Sue the workout is actually Bun Burners Barre and Ball and there are no weights. Last Christmas DH got me new glass spice jars and I went through everything I had and it was so nice to be able to organize everything as before I had a fair number that were loose in bags. I do really miss not being able to buy bulk spices at Whole Foods as it is so much cheaper.

Valerie great job with the treadmill and abs. I'm glad I have Meijer. I can scan and bag as I go and do self checkout. And at WF the checkout clerks are always great. I've never had issues there either. Though I'm sad my favorite clerk got moved up the ladder (not sad for her, but we chatted every week).

Okay time to help Derek attempt to do his part of the FAFSA. I was too traumatized yesterday to attempt anything more then, and I'm hoping by going in through his student part instead of mine it'll give me the right set of questions and fill his all in, like it has in the past.

I’m really late getting here today. This is my rest day from working out, but I have been going nonstop with things around the house.

Deb, thanks for getting us started today. Great job with Live Metabolic Circuit.

Valerie, nice job with the treadmill and Flex Train Abs. I still have a few work clothes left but they became a part of my church wardrobe. Of course, with COVID they are just taking up space now.

Cathy, great job with Live All In Upper Body. I sympathize with you on the FAFSA. I can still remember the stress involved with it.

Hi to Judy, Lori, and Diane Sue.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did 50 minutes of Peloton Rides, 20 minutes of Peloton Upper Body work and a 10 minute stretch.
This week I work today and tomorrow, then I'm off for 4 days.

Deb-Thanks for the tip! I put Live Metabolic Circuit on my schedule for Thursday. It sounds great!

Valerie-Nice job with the treadmill and ab work.

Cathy-Great job with All in Upper Body. Good luck with the FAFSA. I haven't had to deal with that since the mid 80's when I was an undergrad. It was a lot of paper work and I had to schedule in person appointments every year at the college financial aid office. With everything being online now it must be a little easier. Do you have to do anything in person?

Carolyn-I hope you had a good rest day.

Hi to Diane Sue & Lori!

good morning. I did another 45 on the elliptical last night split into two parts while watching The Crown. we finished up Downton Abbey last night. we had watched it before with each season separated years apart. mostly entertaining, but some characters get annoying by the end. twice thru is definitely plenty. The Crown follows real life and world events. I could watch this several times. I enjoy history but have a meager background in it.

Cathy, does he have alternative choices if zoo work does not turn out to be available? I think it sounds absolutely fascinating but maybe limited number of slots available. fields of employment change so dramatically now. I lost three careers including the one I went to college for. times changed and the jobs/fields evaporated. two were gone in 60 seconds. with increasing population pressures on the natural world, zoos might become more important than ever to retain animal populations so maybe it will be a growth industry!

Today I did Cardio Slam for 49 minutes and 293 calories burned. My average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate was 251. I forgot to start my Fitbit until after I had finished the warmup, but the data is close enough.

Judy, good workouts. I’m sure that it’s good to have 4 days off.

Valerie, great job with the elliptical. It’s easier to use cardio machines when you have something interesting to watch. I watched one season of The Crown, but didn’t go beyond that.

Hello to Deb, Cathy, Diane Sue, and Lori.

Today I did Live Rock it Sock it. I really liked this one. First you focus on arms and then focus on legs. I've started redoing my 1RM's as I want to start STS in January. I'm thinking for January STS and kickboxing for cardio. It certainly gets me the best calorie burn.

I finally got in yesterday and started my portion of the FAFSA and when I got to the point where you link your tax return through the IRS is stopped working. Wondering if there are issues because of the IRS getting hacked. Judy I don't think you've had to go in person for quite awhile. The year Nick first needed one, was when they started letting you pull your tax return info directly from the IRS which was a huge plus. I really don't know why they can't make it more user friendly it is a universally hated system. Derek doesn't even need loans till at least his senior year because of his scholarships, but he can't get the scholarships without doing the FAFSA. Ugh!

Valerie there are certainly other things Derek could do, he's a very talented writer, likes graphics, and photography, but from the time he was old enough to realize he was at a zoo it's what he's wanted to do. We already had a zoo membership and I took them once a week. As a toddler he would take every toy they had to create zoos and when he was old enough he started creating them on the computer. He did finally give up on owning his own zoo. When he was about 7-8 he announced one day that it was time to go drive around and find the land for his zoo! Try and explain to a kid that age why he just can't go do that-that was a fun day!

Judy great job on the Peloton workouts!

Carolyn that's a great calorie burn on a great workout!

The Crown is one of my all time favorite series. I'm re-watching #3 right now. it is hugely, vastly better to watch an interesting thing doing repetitive cardio like elliptical or treadmill. I wont say time "flies by", but it sure helps. I'm also learning to use the TV/Apple/amp/dvd set up in the exercise room. its an old apple TV but works ok. I was only using the DVD player thru the TV and thi is different.

drove to try and ski this morning but waste of time and gas. snow level is too high right now, only rain and slush. guess I will do elliptical again to try and finish this season of The Crown so we can start the new season. I read some criticism of the last season about not sticking to the history as accurately as the first seasons.

Cathy the reason I said that is because I got a very specific college degree. at the time.... tons of jobs, no problem getting one. computerization and automation arrived and work that used to take dozens of people now took one person and a machine. plus lab medicine " consolidated" so that one central lab did everything faster and cheaper than labs in dozens of hospitals and clinics. jobs went bye- bye at a stunning rate. I would never get a degree in the field I did in 1970! it was a good idea then but didn't pass the test of time. I didnt have many choices. because of finances, I could not afford to go out of town for school. there were not many degrees that could be completed at the school I went to. (Univ of WI)

Last edited:
Valerie-I've just started watching The Crown and I love it! I watched a few clips on YouTube and ordered the seasons 1 & 2 DVDs from Amazon. I will watch them while riding. I feel the same as you regarding Downton Abbey. I watched it all once but I wouldn't watch it again. Some characters were getting annoying.

Cathy-the FAFSA system sounds horrible! It seems like they could develop a more user friendly system.

Carolyn-Great job with Cardio Slam! That's another one I need to revisit soon.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live 40/20 Low Impact HIIT, 41 minutes, 269 calories and today I did Live Metabolic Upper Body, 47 minute, 276 calories.

Valerie, Enjoy your new bands! I wish The Crown was available on Prime. I also have Hulu, I should check that out too. Really liked Downton Abbey. Have you watched A Place to Call Home? Similar, but in the 50's and it takes place in Australia.

Cathy, good job on All in Upper Body and Rock it Soc it!

Judy, great job on the Peloton workouts!

Carolyn, nice job on Cardio Slam?

Hi to Lori and Diane Sue,

Take care,

b

Good morning.
Judy I'm glad you're enjoying The Crown. when something is even better the second time thru, it shows how much care and thought went into the production. I turn on subtitles especially when exercising. dialogue is mostly very understandable but Brits pronounce some words differently, use different expressions. with subtitles I can be sure of what I think I heard. I did 45 min again on the elliptical yesterday while watching it, and then the abs from Xtrain and some push ups. The Crown is a Netflix original production so I assume it will only be available on Netflix, at least while new. DH decided to re-watch it too so we are watching it together now in the evening, as a lead in to season 4. some parts I remember clearly and other parts are fuzzy so I enjoy getting continuity. it has enough detail so a second viewing ( IMO) is better than the first. .

Deb, we didn't finish that series. we watched one season. I really like the blond actress who starred. she was in another series, a legal drama called Janet King. I forget her real name. Marta or Martha something. we saw Janet King first and started "A Place" after. Janet King was more modern and edgy. really liked it. "A Place" was not bad, a little like Downton, a look back at previous times. some characters got annoying after a while, so we didnt watch the whole series. we might have started something else we liked better.
I am looking forward to the new bands! my current one has complicated plastic handles. too easy by itself, but almost impossible to hold a weight.
I need something other than elliptical today. I can stay on it longer than on a treadmill plus you get a decent arm workout at the same time. might do a spin instead.

This morning I did Pyramid Pump Upper Body. My time was 51 minutes with 258 calories burned. My average heart rate was 119 and maximum heart rate was 162.

Cathy, great job with Live Rock It Sock It. STS with kickboxing cardio sounds like a good plan for January.

Deb, great job with Live 40/20 Low Impact HiiT and Live Metabolic Upper Body.

Valerie, nice work with the elliptical and X Train Abs. I might go back to The Crown. I really enjoyed it when I was watching it.

Judy, I bought the Crown dvds from Amazon too. I plan to pull them out again. I love Cardio Slam. I do the low impact modifications that Cathe demonstrates for some segments.

Hello to Diane Sue and Lori.

Had to run Nick to an appointment this morning, so I delayed my workout till afternoon. Ended up doing 10 upper and 10 lower body 1 Rep Max tests. Since it was supposed to be a total body day that worked okay. Still have 66 to go.

Valerie sorry the skiing didn't work out. I'm clearly going to have to watch the Crown when I get Netflix again. So many people don't end up working in their original field. DH planned to be a naturalist. Got an Environmental Science degree went back after a few years and did a masters in Natural Resources. Then realized you can't really make a living as a naturalist and ended up with the State of Michigan as a project manager for a federal fund that does grants for Cities to update their water systems. Been doing that for 30 years. Nick's degree in Management of Health and Fitness is very broad, but he's planning on grad school to be a Cardiopulmonary exercise physiologist. Specific, but there seems to be a ton of jobs and given that Americans are really a very unhealthy group in general it'll probably work out pretty well.

Judy I forgot to even try to work on the FAFSA today. Blocking it from my thoughts. LOL

Deb great job on the workouts! I'm planning to do the Live 40/20 Saturday.

Carolyn nice job on the PP Upper Body! That's a great workout.

I did 25 on the treadmill then pyramid pump upper for 45 min. I do some moves on a bench and some moves on a ball, it moves along quickly. Adjusting incline on bench was cumbersome. easier to use both pieces of equipment .

Why are so many people exercise resistant? Rhetorical question..... We are exceptions.
Cathy he will have plenty of people to work with! Our cousin who had finally finally (!!)kept an exercise program going for months has backslid to couch surfing! the hard work of getting used to exercising was done, he'd spent a lot of time and money on a personal trainer, was losing weight and doing well. when he moved to AZ he sat down and has barely budged since. the condo he bought has abundant exercise possibilities from a gym right in the building to at least one swimming pool and a walking track on the roof. It looked nice, bright and roomy and some outdoor. he must pay plenty in his HOA dues, and hasn't used any of it. Yes, your son will have a big potential pool of clients!

Last edited:
This morning I did 4 Day Split Lower Intensity Step. That was 37 minutes and 252 calories burned. My average hear rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 159.

Cathy, I like the sound of your older son’s career plan. I didn’t realize that was a degree option but it is definitely needed.

Valerie, nice job with the treadmill and PP Upper Body.

Diane Sue, where are you this week? I hope that you are doing well.

Hello to Deb, Judy, and Lori.

Carolyn I looked at Cardio Slam while I was on the treadmill yesterday. I wonder how many good workouts I have that I don't use? that got lost in the shuffle? I won't do air jacks but otherwise it looks doable. watched most of it while running yesterday.

Valerie, there is a premix where Cathe demonstrates the low impact modifications in a small box on the side of the screen. It‘s only there for about a minute, but it helps to know an alternative movement. I use that premix if I am doing the full workout. Even with a timesaver I know the modifications and use them.

Valerie, have you redeemed any WW reward points? I have redeemed them for socks several times and I have donated some to feed the hungry.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.