passing the plateau of weight loss

DmDj

I know that muscle weighs and not to stick too much on the darn scales. I am wondering what might some of you over 40 like myself recommend to kick start that weight loss and seeing more results.

thanks as always:*

I know that muscle weighs and not to stick too much on the darn scales. I am wondering what might some of you over 40 like myself recommend to kick start that weight loss and seeing more results.

thanks as always:*

Consistency in your workouts.

Progressive overload in your weight lifting: keep increasing those weights gradually and push yourself when it starts getting easy. Weight training needs to have more prominence in your weekly workouts now than cardio to make a difference in your body. Lift heavy. Start with total body workouts, progress to 3 day splits, then daily training of a separate body part, if that suits you. Change up your lifting program every 3 months or so.

Regular cardio workouts, 3 or 4 per week, 45-60 min sessions, including 1 or 2 interval type workouts.

Clean up your diet. Jettison the cakes, sweets and pastries. Eat hearty carbs, good doses of protein and fill up on veggies and fruit.

Patience. Change does not happen over night.

Clare

Consistency in your workouts.

Progressive overload in your weight lifting: keep increasing those weights gradually and push yourself when it starts getting easy. Weight training needs to have more prominence in your weekly workouts now than cardio to make a difference in your body. Lift heavy. Start with total body workouts, progress to 3 day splits, then daily training of a separate body part, if that suits you. Change up your lifting program every 3 months or so.

Regular cardio workouts, 3 or 4 per week, 45-60 min sessions, including 1 or 2 interval type workouts.

Clean up your diet. Jettison the cakes, sweets and pastries. Eat hearty carbs, good doses of protein and fill up on veggies and fruit.

Patience. Change does not happen over night.

Clare

I lost 5 pounds in one week (and am still losing) by eliminating all sodas and high refined sugars in my diet. And of course, keeping up with my regular fitness routines.

I think 85% of weight loss is diet related, but if you are like me, you want the toning and cardiovascular endurance that workout provide.

Oddly, my skin broke out when I cleaned up my diet - I think the toxins were being flushed out of my system.

I lost 5 pounds in one week (and am still losing) by eliminating all sodas and high refined sugars in my diet. And of course, keeping up with my regular fitness routines.

I think 85% of weight loss is diet related, but if you are like me, you want the toning and cardiovascular endurance that workout provide.

Oddly, my skin broke out when I cleaned up my diet - I think the toxins were being flushed out of my system.

Hi Clare,

I just enjoy cardio so darned much that I have to do at least 30 min with my weight training or I don't feel like I've had a real workout...no matter how much I lift.

I am a cardio junkie! I think it is the endorphins.

Hi Clare,

I just enjoy cardio so darned much that I have to do at least 30 min with my weight training or I don't feel like I've had a real workout...no matter how much I lift.

I am a cardio junkie! I think it is the endorphins.

Amy:

I know what you mean. It's as if we do weight training for our body but cardio for our mind and emotions! I do more lifting these days than cardio, but I still find running beats stress way more than even the most grueling weights routine. Funny that. Guess it's an individual thing.

Clare

Amy:

I know what you mean. It's as if we do weight training for our body but cardio for our mind and emotions! I do more lifting these days than cardio, but I still find running beats stress way more than even the most grueling weights routine. Funny that. Guess it's an individual thing.

Clare

I do the GS 3-day split workouts and core routines and lift as heavy as I can while eating as clean as I can. After reading about the research indicating that a focus on weight training (over cardio) is best for overweight girls (like me) who want to drop fat faster I began shifting my focus and it's made a HUGE difference for me. I actually LOVE eating clean now that I'm accustomed to purer flavors and got sick last week when I ate fast food (the fries did it). As for cardio... well, I don't knock myself out because I'm short on time and have fears that anything more than a 20 minute interval treadmill session will literally eat away my muscle gains. I track my weight daily and, though it's always three steps forward/two steps back, ultimately, I am gradually melting. Thus far, this is working for me.

I do the GS 3-day split workouts and core routines and lift as heavy as I can while eating as clean as I can. After reading about the research indicating that a focus on weight training (over cardio) is best for overweight girls (like me) who want to drop fat faster I began shifting my focus and it's made a HUGE difference for me. I actually LOVE eating clean now that I'm accustomed to purer flavors and got sick last week when I ate fast food (the fries did it). As for cardio... well, I don't knock myself out because I'm short on time and have fears that anything more than a 20 minute interval treadmill session will literally eat away my muscle gains. I track my weight daily and, though it's always three steps forward/two steps back, ultimately, I am gradually melting. Thus far, this is working for me.

Hi Amy,
Were they diet cokes or regular cokes? I am addicted to my diet coke but have often wondered if they are helping me "hold on" to the fat or possibly increasing my appetite. Has anyone had success with fat loss by giving up "diet sodas"? I switched many moons ago to diet soda; good grief I would be 300 lbs. if I had not switched. BUT.....I'm starting to wonder if diet drinks are keeping me from seeing results.

Hi Amy,
Were they diet cokes or regular cokes? I am addicted to my diet coke but have often wondered if they are helping me "hold on" to the fat or possibly increasing my appetite. Has anyone had success with fat loss by giving up "diet sodas"? I switched many moons ago to diet soda; good grief I would be 300 lbs. if I had not switched. BUT.....I'm starting to wonder if diet drinks are keeping me from seeing results.

Personally, I'd say give up the diet sodas. I gave up sodas sometime in my 20s, and then one day when I was something past 40, without even asking me if I wanted one, someone put a diet coke with lime in front of me, and I drank it. What a mistake! I really got hooked for a while, and perhaps it's a coincidence, but that was the start of my weight gain and my battle with sweets (so mind you, I had passed the 40 barrier and hadn't really had a problem!). When I was weaning myself off of them, I could definitely correlate sweet cravings later in the day with having had a diet coke. They are evil!

Good luck,

-Beth
[email protected]

Personally, I'd say give up the diet sodas. I gave up sodas sometime in my 20s, and then one day when I was something past 40, without even asking me if I wanted one, someone put a diet coke with lime in front of me, and I drank it. What a mistake! I really got hooked for a while, and perhaps it's a coincidence, but that was the start of my weight gain and my battle with sweets (so mind you, I had passed the 40 barrier and hadn't really had a problem!). When I was weaning myself off of them, I could definitely correlate sweet cravings later in the day with having had a diet coke. They are evil!

Good luck,

-Beth
[email protected]

I have lost 25 pounds from July to November and am 46. For me it is not about the work-out(muscle helps lose faster and maintain though), but about the diet. I cleaned it up, no processed stuff, lots of veggies, fruits, fish(at least 4 times a week, I think that really helps), whole grains.

I have lost 25 pounds from July to November and am 46. For me it is not about the work-out(muscle helps lose faster and maintain though), but about the diet. I cleaned it up, no processed stuff, lots of veggies, fruits, fish(at least 4 times a week, I think that really helps), whole grains.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.