pantyhose or no?

I routinely wear pantyhose to work, and I'll go on record as saying very, very few women have legs (especially the skin tone and texture of the legs) that are attractive to look at bare. Maybe that's not the case in Orange County but it is most other places.

A-Jock

I havent worn pantyhose to work since I moved to Florida from Upstate New York six years ago. I work with lots of ladies that wear hose every day though.

I recently discovered Sally Hanson Leg makeup, blends in nicely and does not transfer onto clothing. I also have worn the Sally Hanson Glow on my legs. Give that a try.

Carmen.

No pantyhose is more of the trend, but I agree with others that a professional setting warrants nylons. Also, my legs are pale, which is fine, but if I get even a little cold, they start getting shivery, goosebumpy and sometimes kind of blotchy looking, so I wear nylons if I anticipate getting cold! =)

I also vote no panty hose. An alternative, I think, would be sheer black hose. But it sounds like you have the legs to rock the bare-legged look!

Personally I can't pull off no-hose well because I'm so pale that my legs look almost blue, and every splotch, bruise, and tiny vein shows up from a mile away! Attractive, right? :p What I do is wear opaque black tights in the winter, and in the summer I either wear trousers to work (which I prefer anyway) or I use fake tanner so my legs don't glow in the dark. Because I just don't like wearing skin-colored hose!

Step away from the panty hose! :eek:

Seriously, I understand some professional settings require them, but other than that... NO. They are just ewwww....

I want to tell you all thanks for the response. And I went with my little black dress, strappies and NO pantyhose. And guess what. NOBODY and i mean NOBODY had them on. I saw legs of all looks and sizes too! I am so glad I listened to you all. Thanks so much!

I have to admit I feel quite out of the loop regarding dressy occasions. I have a fancy wedding this weekend. I have a simple black dress with pink straps, and pair of black heels. I had not planned on wearing pantyhose because I do have decent legs and my teenage daughter says not to. However, speaking to some other ladies at work, some say one should wear them. What is the current trend? BTW I'm 43, but proud of my fit legs/body. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

I don't even OWN pantyhose anymore

I routinely wear pantyhose to work, and I'll go on record as saying very, very few women have legs (especially the skin tone and texture of the legs) that are attractive to look at bare.
I agree.

While I enjoy the feeling of being without hose, I miss the look of perfect legs.

I agree with A-jock

I routinely wear pantyhose to work, and I'll go on record as saying very, very few women have legs (especially the skin tone and texture of the legs) that are attractive to look at bare. Maybe that's not the case in Orange County but it is most other places.

A-Jock

I've seen plenty of bare legs, and I must say that I prefer pantyhose, much as I hate to wear them myself. My are not attractive at all in spite of all my exercise because of my varicose veins, etc. So my vote is Yes to the pantyhose.

I normally wear them as well, although I can't say I like it. I think they are appropriate depending on your profession and the clothing you wear to work. I wear mostly business suits and I'm a manager so wearing hosiery is part of the formal professional look and whether they are "in" or "out" of style doesn't really matter.

It also must be a regional thing as well - I dress similarly, and I never wear pantyhose. I'd look out of place if I did, actually - they certainly are NOT part of the formal professional look around here.

I am required to wear some type of hosiery on my feet at work. It is part of the dress code here.

As for social events, I pick and choose when I wear them and when I don't. I live in NJ so it gets cold around here in the fall/winter months. During those times I will always wear pantyhose under a dress or skirt. In the warmer months, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I hate them overall but depending on the event, my clothes and my shoes, I feel better having them on. They serve as protection between my feet and my shoes at times that will make the difference between me and misery. My feet automatically begin to hurt when I wear heels but if I wear them w/o hose on it's much worse so I will wear them at times just to save my feet!

Overall though, if I had my way...NO PANTYHOSE EVER would be my motto! :D

I hope you don't mind if I piggyback on your thread Wendy, but I have a hose question too. ;)

I have a wedding this Sunday. My dress is sleeveless & it's too chilly here to go hose-less, but despising the discomfort of hose the way I do--not to mention the unattractive muffin top line you get around the waist--I got thigh highs, which are a much more comfortable alternative to control top hose. :eek:

Anyway, to my question--my dress is a dark plum color, & I'm wearing dressy black pumps w/a black cashmere wrap. Should I wear sheer black, or sheer nude hose? I'm getting the feeling that sheer black went out of fashion when I wasn't paying attention..............:p

I think you are good with the black stockings (sheer or not). I've seen them a lot in magazines lately on celebrities.

Opaque tights are more "in" than sheer hosiery, but if opaque doesn't go with your outfit or the season/weather, I would opt for sheer black.

It's so hard to find nude hose that don't make legs look mannequin-y -- a friend of mine who has to wear hose to her job in a law office swears by Donna Karan sheer nude hose, but a) I don't wear hose, and b) if I did I wouldn't pay $15+ per pair for them!!!

LOL Nicole! I don't have much of a choice, I think tights might be too casual for the dress. I love tights myself--I wear them in the winter under pants as an alternative to long underwear. I also like how they keep my skin moisturized after I get dressed. :p

Well I tried the nude on last night, I think they make my legs look too pale--I'm kind of olive skinned & I think my legs looking paler than my arms would look weird. I'll probably end up w/the black.

Bobbi, DK are my favorites too. Very comfortable & flattering! :)

BTW, here's the dress. I really like it--it's relatively inexpensive, fits beautifully & something I can wear to work in warmer weather.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3107951?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=0

Oh My...I haven't worn pantyhose since I was 10 years old and my grandmother HAD to force me to wear them. I hate them...even today I refuse to wear pantyhoses. ;)

LOL Nicole! I don't have much of a choice, I think tights might be too casual for the dress. I love tights myself--I wear them in the winter under pants as an alternative to long underwear. I also like how they keep my skin moisturized after I get dressed. :p

Well I tried the nude on last night, I think they make my legs look too pale--I'm kind of olive skinned & I think my legs looking paler than my arms would look weird. I'll probably end up w/the black.

Bobbi, DK are my favorites too. Very comfortable & flattering! :)

BTW, here's the dress. I really like it--it's relatively inexpensive, fits beautifully & something I can wear to work in warmer weather.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3107951?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=0

Love the dress! I think black would be best matched too, however, the model is rocking that dress with bare legs and the gold shoes!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.