Panhandlers...

I just spent the morning running errands downtown. Our city has a vibrant historic, waterfront downtown that attracts tons of tourists. As the tourist season gears up so does the number of panhadlers. Today I couldn't walk a block without someone putting out their hand or hat. I am completely bewildered by the young spike wearing panhandler with his pit bull...as a hardworking, single Mom of 3 I am not about to drop him some change to feed his dog which sounds so cold...For some reason it felt like a dilemma today. I don't know whether to fill my pockets with dollar coins before heading downtown or just avoiding eye contact altogether. So do you 'contribute' to panhandlers or not?

Take Care
Laurie:)

I never give to panhandlers unless they are a senior citizen.

I don't feel bad about it either.

I have a cute story about panhandlers. My DH and I and 2 sons (they were around 8 and 11) was downtown and a lady panhandler called out "got any change". My son turned to me and said "I have more teeth than she does". He was in that stage where he was starting to lose his teeth. I thought it was cute. My boys learned what panhandlers were that day (we hardly go downtown where they are prevalent). And no, we don't give them any hard earned change.

I struggle with this as well. I tend to lean on “not giving” because a lot of them are there by choice. I do however give when I feel moved to do so.

I will give to street performers. In San Francisco, there is a lot of competition, so the pan handles have gotten creative. One guy had a big bushy branch and would hide behind it then jump out and scare people. It was actually funny - he was obviously not trying to really scare someone, or appear threatening and everyone was having a good time. I gave him some money. But, if they are just standing there asking for money - no.

I don't. I have a list of charities who get donations from me annually.

Now, if a panhandler happened to eat at my local foodbank, s/he just might benefit from my donations. ;-)

Christine, I agree about the busking...we have a huge Buskers festival here every July and some of it is truly amazing (acrobatics, music, comedy...) I have no problem giving them $5.00 or more but what I saw today did not constitute busking, scraping on an old fiddle isn't busking, I was inclined to tell him I'd give him a 10 spot if he would just stop!!!:)

Lisa, that is a cute story:)

Debbie, it really struck me today, I've lived here for almost 5 years and some of the panhandlers are the same ones I saw on day 1. Strange...*shrug*

Take Care
Laurie

I do if I have spare change. What's a little pocket change to someone who needs it more than I do?

Something to consider....

Why say no to panhandling?
According to studies, giving money to panhandlers does not help those in need because:
# Cash given to panhandlers will most likely be used to buy alcohol or drugs.
# Most panhandlers are NOT homeless.
# For some, panhandling is a profession and at times, studies show, a lucrative one.
# Homelessness is not the problem for truly needy panhandlers, but rather a symptom of underlying problems. They need help, not handouts.

I'll contribute to street performers, but not to panhandlers.

I contribute plenty to the services (food bank, shelter, Good Will, etc) that help people in need.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that a good majority of the panhandlers that are just asking for cash, are looking to use it for booze, drugs, cigarettes, etc...things that the above services would NOT provide.

Panhandlers are a constant thing here in Chicago year round, on every street corner and in every intersection.

Years ago, someone did a study on what they actually make in "donations", and discovered that that average panhandler makes over $40K/yr...which of course there are no taxes on!

So, no, under no circumstance to I ever give to them.

Not to pick on anyone but "Years ago, someone did a study on...." What study? By whom? Where? I suspect if the 40k were that easy there would many a graduate student hustling a few bucks in the streets (or Catheites raising money for STS), but hey, I could be wrong.

Now mind you, I'm not inclined to give handouts. I don't feel safe opening up my wallet in front of some often times shady stranger. At the same time, those who are less fortunate may indeed be inclined to buy booze, cigs, etc. I am fortunate enough to have dinner with the girls, blow off steam at the gym etc. Some bum may blow steam off with what he can afford, a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20. It's not ideal and only contributes further to the problem, but we all have our problems....

I don't give panhandlers money but have been known to give them a food item or two from one of my grocery bags.

I don't give money anymore, but a couple of times when I've been approached after leaving a restaurant, I have given a homeless person my leftover food.

I have not ever given a panhandler money because I don't know what he/she would be spending it on (alcohol,cigs,etc) but I used to keep lunch sacks of non perishable food in my car to hand out if we happened to see a panhandler on the street corner.
I need to start doing that again.

Gin:)

I have given money to pandhandlers before. I live in a somewhat rural area and don't have many encounters with them. I don't give often but when I do, it's given freely out of an expression of love and kindness not judgement. If they choose to use the money for drugs or booze then that is their choice. When I give a gift to someone, I don't apply conditions on how the gift is to be used or spent.

A few years ago there was the lady who was maybe in her late 40’s early 50’s. She was always downtown dressed in rags panhandling. A reporter decided to follow her after her day of panhandling and she went home to a nice condominium where she lived. They knocked on her door while filming and tried to talk to her but she slammed the door. Apparently, this was her full time job. It was stated that she was able to make $200.00 - $400.00 a day. I guess every day would be different - sometimes less and sometimes more.

Stories like this and the fact that some of them would use the money for drugs, etc. makes we not want to give away my hard-earned money.

I have seen that guy Christine! "The BushMan" LOL I love SF
LD
http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL395/10721112/19111645/307955868.jpg[/IMG]

>I have given money to pandhandlers before. I live in a
>somewhat rural area and don't have many encounters with them.
>I don't give often but when I do, it's given freely out of an
>expression of love and kindness not judgement. If they choose
>to use the money for drugs or booze then that is their choice.
>When I give a gift to someone, I don't apply conditions on how
>the gift is to be used or spent.
>
I'm like this also. Especially if I'm with DH (I always feel safe with him). Otherwise I will only if it's convenient and I don't have to go through my wallet. I've also given away food many a time. My sister once gave away a somewhat expensive ring because it had lost its happy meaning for her. It felt good for her to turn the ring into something positive.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.