P90X vs STS...help me decide.

dmd

Cathlete
Hi there,
First, I want to wish everyone a Happy Holiday season! I have been with Cathe since 1996 and have loved becoming fit and educated with her. I am at an a wonderful juncture now and need your help. I have recently lost the last ten pounds of a 40 lb. weight loss journey and need to find the best program for the new year. I own all of Cathe's weight tapes (except the newest ones),STS, P90X, and Chalene Xtreame. My fitness level is pretty good. I just ran a marathon last month, can complete 17 mens push ups in a row, and love a good plyo and HITT workout. Help me decide what program would put some good muscle on my frame!

STS hands down. Do a topic thread Search, as this has been widely discussed on these forums.

STS. I have done both. I keep going back to STS again and again. The program is more complete, and if offers more variety. It kept my interest for the entire program. Results during Meso 2 and 3 were absolutely there. I didn't see a huge difference with p90X.

HTH

First, congrats on your weight loss, marathon and pushup numbers! WTG:)

I have both P90X and STS but if I could only purchase one, it would be STS. While I had good results with both programs, I feel I made better strength gains with STS. The meso cycles are very different in format offering more variety to stave off boredom. P90X strength workouts were more repetitive and the cardio wasn't as challenging. However, YogaX is my favorite yoga workout and core synergistics is really good too. If you want to improve your pushup and pullup numbers then you may want to choose P90X. You still get a lot of pushups and some pullups with STS but nothing like P90X. Hoped that helped.

Good luck!

STS - FOR SURE

As a system, it's SO MUCH BETTER. As individual workouts, I reach for it all the time. It's like 40 individual workouts, too! It's not boring at all. P90X, I never reach for it.

Hi there,
First, I want to wish everyone a Happy Holiday season! I have been with Cathe since 1996 and have loved becoming fit and educated with her. I am at an a wonderful juncture now and need your help. I have recently lost the last ten pounds of a 40 lb. weight loss journey and need to find the best program for the new year. I own all of Cathe's weight tapes (except the newest ones),STS, P90X, and Chalene Xtreame. My fitness level is pretty good. I just ran a marathon last month, can complete 17 mens push ups in a row, and love a good plyo and HITT workout. Help me decide what program would put some good muscle on my frame!

STS . . . I did both and saw the best results with STS probably because of the one rep max and knowing exactly what weight to use. Although I like Tony, it was so so hard doing the same DVDs day in and day out. There's something to be said for a new and different workout every time. Good Luck

Wow you guys are great!

Now, here is a dumb question..what the heck is a one rep max?

It's the heaviest weight you can lift just ONE TIME w/good form for any exercise. May not be the best worded definition but you will understand what I'm trying to say I hope!;)

If you are planning to keep running for your cardio, then I would at least go with Meso 1 and Meso 2 STS.

If you want to follow a complete program that includes yoga, cardio, and weights, then P90X is that type of program.

Meso 3 I didn't find that useful for me. I didn't really care about getting a 5% increase in strength and that cycle is all designed with that singular goal in mind, so you do the same exercises each week. And the low rep, heavy weight, long rests just didn't appeal to me.

Meso 1 - high rep, endurance, and Meso 2 - solid muscle building were both great compliments to my running program.

Thanks for the definition

Okay, so I think you all helped me decide to go with STS. Yes, the option to run/kickbox/yoga for my all around fitness is what I want to do. I have never really liked step workouts (sorry Cathe) I have always loved Cathe for her weight/more athletic/Circuit and plyo-inspired workouts. I am so excited to get going with STS! Thank you all for your input. Cathe has the best online community around.~DEB

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.