P90X Questions

atremo11

Cathlete
Okay, my husband bought me P90X for our anniversary...yes, I asked for it! So I am really happy! How hard is the eating program to follow? I have three kids so actually cooking meals every night can be hard! I just got it yesterday, but I know some of you have already done it, and any help would be greatly appreciated! I really don't want to lose weight, but add more definition to my muscles. Did y'all get any of the supplements? Sorry, I am full of questions, but it is a little overwhelming!
Thanks!
Mandy

I LOVED P90X...my husband actually got it for himself because at the time I was in the middle of a Cathe rotation. (He never actually started!!) I did not follow the eating plan because I was fine on my own and with a family to feed, it was just unrealistic, I'm sure you've looked over the menus. I was (and still am!) trying to lose weight and I don't think P90X should be used *primarily* for weight loss, my mistake. I did, however, notice great strength gains, especially in my upper body and some nice definition, especially in my chest. If I was to do it again, I would add in much more cardio and different leg work, such as Cathe's leg work. But, I'm sure you'll get many more posts like mine because it IS a great program.

I LOVED P90X...my husband actually got it for himself because at the time I was in the middle of a Cathe rotation. (He never actually started!!) I did not follow the eating plan because I was fine on my own and with a family to feed, it was just unrealistic, I'm sure you've looked over the menus. I was (and still am!) trying to lose weight and I don't think P90X should be used *primarily* for weight loss, my mistake. I did, however, notice great strength gains, especially in my upper body and some nice definition, especially in my chest. If I was to do it again, I would add in much more cardio and different leg work, such as Cathe's leg work. But, I'm sure you'll get many more posts like mine because it IS a great program.

Ditto! I did not follow the P90X eating plan just continued with my clean eating. I also got noticable gains in my upper body. I was not impressed with the cardio...not intense enough for me, excpet the plyometrics!

I tried the Cardio X to see what I was in for...I thought it would be a little more intense. I think it looks like a great program and I can't wait to start. I think I will just keep up with my caloric intake like I usually do, increase it if needed...I just don't realistically think I could do that eating plan...maybe if I wasn't feeding four other people I could and could actually cook/prepare ahead. But that's just not my life!!

Congratulations on your new program! I love P90X!
I didn't follow the diet plan either.

I think Cardio X is meant for recovery week and for people who find PlyoX too intense. I never tried it. I used my elliptical for recovery week.

I LOVED P90X....I may do it again after CLX!!! I gained alot of upper body strength. Alot of people didn't care for YogaX...it is an hour and a half...but I loved it.

The only supplement I tried was the Recovery drink. YUMMY!!!! It's like drinking a dreamsicle!!!!:D

Let us know how you like it!!!!

I just completed the "Lean" version and am in the final recovery week. Unfortunately, this coincided w/the holidays & I didn't eat/drink as clean as I should have. But, I still noticed alot of changes in my body.

I actually started out unsure (since no one really compares to Cathe for me), but as I kept with it, I really got used to Tony's style. I just loved the program! Next is P90Xplus.

I subbed some workouts to keep it interesting. For expample, I rarely did the CardioX since it pretty much takes exercises from other w.o.s & repeats...boring & not the steady cardio I'd like. So on those days I'd run or do a cathe step dvd.

Besides most of the weight work, the workouts I REALLY enjoyed were Core Synergistics, KenpoX, & surprisingly to me, Yoga X (i only did 1 hr.).

I didn't follow the eating plan or use the supplements.
I did add a recovery drink (a chocolate soymilk with about the same macronutrient ratio as their 'Recovery Drink') after each workout.

Yes, he ordered the recovery drink....I was afraid it might taste horrible! So I am glad to know it is good!
Okay another question...did you do heavy weights or lighter...I really want to define my arms. I plan on starting Monday...that way I can map out my plan over the weekend! And hopefully my hubby will get the pull up bar up this weekend! Tony talks ALOT...I have gotten so used to Cathe! My four year old knows everybody on 4DS...it is hilarious, she can name them! She walked out there last night...I was watching at a few and she said, "where is Cathe, who is he?" I LOVE IT!
Yea! I am glad to know it is a great program...I have a treadmill and a bicycle on an indoor trainer so I can swap up the cardio in the off weeks!
Any more suggestions you can think of?

I recommend sticking to the program as-is for the first two weeks, even if you first feel there's not enough cardio. You may be surprised.

Also, do either the "Classic" or "Doubles" rotation. The "Lean" rotation looks like is was just thrown together at the last minute, and each week, one body part gets short shrift.

Another thing: you may find that in the first two weeks you need more sleep (or naps!) than usual. I certainly did.

For weights, I stuck with weights I could do for around 15 reps, but I got definition I liked with that. I was able to increase my weights almost every workout.

I will echo sticking to the program as in for at least two weeks. The weight work takes a lot out of you. It's a tough program if you do it right. When you add cardio, do it a little at a time.

I'm toying with the idea of a rotation after my 100 mile bike ride.

Kathryn, what was the chocolate soymilk you added as your recovery drink? The orange is good, but for some odd reason I crave milk after a hard workout! Another question...did you guys have the pull up bar? I substituted with bands today, it was a challenge but hopefully my hubby will get that bar up got me tonight! Thank you ladies! I don't know what I would do without this website...I have one friend who just started taking exercise seriously...the rest think I am crazy for loving it the way I do!!

Kathryn, what was the chocolate soymilk you added as your recovery drink?
It was called "Power Dream," but I haven't seen it for a long time (I don't think they make it anymore!). It was chocolate soy milk with added vitamins and minerals. Since vitamins and minerals were the only difference between this and regular chocolate soy milk (like Silk), I imagine the carb-protein breakdown of that would be similar.

Thanks, Kathryn, I live in a small town, so I'll check our store that has the GNC supplements and see if I can find anything comparable to that! Maybe I will have some luck!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.