p90x+..enough lower body? and p90x vs. sts

nightowl81

Cathlete
For those of you who followed a pure P90X+ rotation, did you find there was enough lower body work? Or would this be a good series to add in your own, like Butts & Guts?

Also, now that STS is out, how does it compare to P90X? It seems like P90X is one of the best programs out (with all the talk of even actresses and Sheryl Crow even using it). Did Cathe out-do P90X with STS?

I *heart* P90X. I did a full rotation and got excellent results from it. That was 2 years ago though and I haven't touched it since. Bad me. I have vowed to complete another full rotation in 2009 but first I need to do CLX! :D

I also have P90X+ but haven't done it for more then a couple of weeks for whatever reason. I will get around to it one day...LOL It doesn't have a ton of leg work in it though so there's a good chance you'd probably want to add some to it.

I don't own STS. I pre-ordered it on day 1 and ended up canceling just a few days prior to it shipping if you can believe that one! I just decided it wasn't what I wanted right now. I will buy it in the future though I am sure....

Anyway, I think that as excellent of a program as the X is, I'll bet that STS out-does it by miles!

They are very different programs though so I don't even know if it's fair to compare them...Hmmm....?

p9ox gives you more opportunity for cardio. but if you are self motivated that's not a big issue with sts. i like the 1 rep component with sts and the fact that it is basically the same 3 rotations with progression and a few new moves every week. it is similar to x in that it is a progression. i think each has it's value and each have a few moves that are different, and keep you challenged.

for p90x+ i subbed cathe lower body.p90x also has yogax and coresynergistics-awesome workouts. in p90x for example shoulders and arms you do shoulder,bi,tri then repeat the same moves then move on to different exercises.i have only done disk one and 2 of sts but so far like his method of upper body better.he is excellent for core and upper.some of the abs in p90x+ is hanging on pullup bar.i felt like i was losing a best friend putting it away for sts which i'm sure i'll love!

laura

laura

For those of you who followed a pure P90X+ rotation, did you find there was enough lower body work?

It depends on what you mean by "lower body work." I'm in Phase II of P90X right now, and although there is only one dedicated lower body weighted workout per week (and it also includes back exercises in the same hour-long DVD), you get a TON of lower body benefit from the hour-long Plyometrics DVD (which is used another day each week). You also get kick-boxing benefits one day each week with KenpoX, also an hour long.

However, if you prefer Cathe's style of weighted body work, and/or a full hour of leg work, then you could definitely substitue one of her DVDs in place of P90X's "Legs & Back".

I have ordered and received my STS, and can't wait to do it; but I'm going to finish up P90X first - scheduled to be finished by the first week in April. Good luck deciding! I don't think you could go wrong owning either (since I do ;) )! I'm also debating placing my order for CXT as well. That would finish my workout schedule for 2009, between the three programs!

I did 90x a few summers ago and loved the upper body portion of the workout. However, I did not think that there was enough leg work for me. I subbed in a Cathe Leg workout 1x/week... usually it was Leaner Legs or Pure Strength.

I think it depends on your body type.. I'm a pear, so I need to go pretty hard core w/ my lower body workouts to see results. P90x didn't have alot of heavy weighted leg workouts in the program for my needs.

Lynn M.

I needed to add more glute-specific work, and did a Firm butt-building rotation afterwards to get some booty back.

P90X and STS

I am in my phase 2 of P90X. My boyfriend and I are doing it together. He is very well built above the waist and I am a pear shape with heavier legs. I lost 33 pounds doing cathe's workouts prior to starting P90X on Feb. 5. I have no problem with legs and squats while he gets burnt out. He does the pull ups easily while I struggle with using a chair and/or tension bands. We both have lost a few pounds and it has definitely shaped our bodies. We get up at 5:30 a.m. daily and get the workouts out of the way. We have not missed one yet.

I also own STS series and am we are very excited to get started. The only issue is trying to supplement the DVD's with cardio on off days. I would have preferred to have dvd's added with the correct cardio moves.

Good luck to all of you out there.

It's all personal preference, but I think STS is a MUCH better program and if done correctly your results will be amazing. P90X's leg workout is ok. I always added weights and it always made me extremely sore, but let me tell you..doing the same freaking workout every week for the entire rotation had a major dread factor. It's all about what kind of style you like. Cathe is very precise in her movements and reps. P90X just pretty much says...GO..and you do as many as you can with whatever weight you decide. There isn't much guidance. Plus though P90X does include cardio in the program, but is very weak in my opinion. I did much better doing my own cardio every other day opposite of STS. So, for me, STS is hands down the winner

It's all personal preference, but I think STS is a MUCH better program and if done correctly your results will be amazing. P90X's leg workout is ok. I always added weights and it always made me extremely sore, but let me tell you..doing the same freaking workout every week for the entire rotation had a major dread factor. It's all about what kind of style you like. Cathe is very precise in her movements and reps. P90X just pretty much says...GO..and you do as many as you can with whatever weight you decide. There isn't much guidance. Plus though P90X does include cardio in the program, but is very weak in my opinion. I did much better doing my own cardio every other day opposite of STS. So, for me, STS is hands down the winner

I am with you Shannon. STS is the best :)

I got great results with P90X but will agree (now that I have it and am finally doing a rotation) that STS is a higher quality program by leaps and bounds.

That said though, I still would like to repeat the X rotation some day if no other reason then variety. I could never do STS (or ANY program!) over and over and over w/o some good sized breaks in between...no matter how good the program or the results even, I still crave a lot of variety. That's just me though. :)

Last edited:
I have both and did an STS rotation when I got it. I am into week 3 of P90X, I like the shoulders and arms DVD (An doing a heavier weight than the girl in the dvd!!!! Thanks Cathe) I am not a fan of the legs, I substitute Cathe :), Back and chest, not loving the pull-ups and chin-up...but like the variation of push-ups. It is a little repetive, but I increase my weight each week...I think I am mainly doijg P90X for variation. IMO no one can replace Cathe!

STS is Superior over P90X

My husband & I are P90x grads. Loved the program at the TIME!! Got Results.....but have never looked back after..Cathe's STS program. STS is superior and professional done. We own several of Cathe's DVD's and love them all. Great variety! Never get bored. LOVING THE RESULTS!!!!!!

I did 2 rounds of P90X and I loved it. However I do not think that there is enough leg work in P90X. There is plenty of upper body and tons of pushups.

I prefer Cathe's STS over P90X. I am seeing better results with her program and her workouts are harder. I hate to say it, but STS is a much better program.

Before STS, I would have said "heck yeah, P90X is great for legs..."

Now that I'm doing STS, I think P90X is pretty light on the leg work... :D

STS is better. More variety, more technical, more thorough. Especially for weight lifting. But you have to do your own cardio. I liked the Insanity program more than P90X. I just found that doing the Insanity program too hard on the knees. But is good to rotate into my program a couple days a week. And if you can afford them all. :) I say they are all worth owning. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.