Overtraining Question

milagrosepul

Cathlete
Cathe, or anyone else that may have some good advice for me...
I'm worried that I may possibly be overtraining my legs. I train on legs twice a week with GS Legs (four days apart) but the carido really takes a toll on my legs. For example running or riding a bike or jumping rope, all use legs.

am I overtraining my legs?

thanks in advance

Hi Millie,

I'm not Cathe, but that's a great question. I feel the same way. My quads get so tired I don't even want to walk up and down the stairs in my house the rest of the day. I'v often wodered if I was overtraining. I'll be glad to hear what other people have to say

Di

Are you experiencing any injuries or trouble completing your workouts? Have you had to decrease your weights in order to finish a workout?

If you aren't having some kind of problem, I would be inclined to think that your current program is okay.

The only time I have had to cut back on strength training was when I was training for a half marathon and my legs were just too fatigued from the long distance runs.

Everybody is different, so listen to your body. It can take a long time to find what REALLY works for you. There are some folks here who do some form of leg work everyday.

Tina

IMHO, if you are asking the question the answer is probably "yes", especially when you note that the cardio "really takes a toll on my legs". Actually, the combination of heavy-duty leg strengthening twice a week can have as much of a toll on the legs as the land cardio.

I'd suggest cutting back to GS legs only once per week, and substituting a more moderate, and shorter, leg workout mid-week. Also keep a good mix of varied impact forces in your cardio. You noted running, riding a bike and jumping rope; also consider some of Cathe's non-interval step routines including Low Max, which is entirely low-impact and no jumping.

HTH -

A-Jock

I have trouble doing a step workout the day after training legs because my quads get too tired. But other forms of cardio (with less emphasis on the quads) are okay. Just something to consider.

I'm not sure if this may apply to you, but make sure you are fueling your body correctly immediately after exercise. Even when I'm really fatigued, a well-balanced meal or shake, especially after lower-body weights or cardio, makes a big difference for me. I've learned the hard way (I couldn't even get out of bed!) that frequent meals are a necessity for constant energy.

Chiquita

I've always wondered about this myself. I have muscular, strong legs (even when I was heavy I did) so I don;t want to do to much and make them bigger. I do one heavy leg workout a week and one light, but am concerned that the bike riding, running and kickboxing are tiring them out.

Sparrow
www.scifichics.com

Thank you for all of the advice guys. I don't have any injuries or anything of that sort, it's just mainly fatigue. For example, I worked legs on Tuesday with no cardio, on Wednesday when I went to ride the exercise bike at the gym I couldn't do it. My legs gave out within 10 minutes.
I just increased my weight on leg workouts so that could be the cause. I really don't have the option of doing any aerobic work in my apartment because I live over someone.
Thanks again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.