Over 40 -- Okay to Do High Impact (please read)

AmySteppe,

I am 47 and thanks to you and others on this forum I don't mind the thought of turning 50 in a few years.

I can't imagine not working out and don't plan on giving up doing the high intensity cardio.

"I hope I die working out!" lol

JoJo

i am 42(43 in june) i LOVE the high impact, if there isn't enough high impact i add my own!! i am lucky enough to never have had any serious injuries in my life. i think part of this is from discovering weights and aerobics in my mid-twenties. i don't know about your injuries but are they permanent? if so i would say go SLOW and steady. if not then start slow and work your way up to high impact. pay attention to which particular moves cause you pain,(hitch-kicks bother my ankles so i don't do them) then modify them to whats comfortable for you. i have said in other posts 'listen to your body' sometimes it knows better than the doctors. i believe starting slow gives your entire body the chance to start working as one unit and lets some muscles take up the slack for other muscles that may be weaker. don't disregard your doctors entirely, but sometimes Mother Nature knows best!

good luck! and take it easy:+

I am going to be 53 in a couple of weeks, and am still doing high impact workouts. I never think of myself as too old to do something.

I am not on any medications and intend to keep it that way, if I can. I usually use a 6" step, except for Low Max, when I bump it up to 8".

Age is a state of mind and I my state of mind is young!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.