Other Instructors- Help Me Spend $$

I'm looking for some input on the following workouts I have saved in my cart at advancedworkout.com. I've never tried any of these instructors before. I'm looking for some fun, new workouts to keep my motivation going strong during the summer months. I love step and kickboxing, so I thought these might be fun. I hate hi/lo and moves which are super hard on my knees. I also can't stand "whooping" and annoying instructor voices.

I love Cathe's KPC, Step Blast, Rhythmic Step, and the step portions from SJP and Cardio & Weights. I hate the 4DS HIS and Kick Max. Do any of the ones I've listed below have some of the same "fun" factors as the Cathe ones I listed?

CIA 2302: Rob Glick- Amazing Step ($9.95)
CIA 2601: Gay Gasper- Cardio Step Express ($9.95)
CIA 2505: Kimberly Spreen- Kickbox Bootcamp ($9.95)
CIA 2605: Kimberly Spreen- Cardio Camp ($9.95)
CIA 2705: Kimberly Spreen- Absolute Kickbox w/Combat Inter. ($14.95)
CIA 2704: Sharon Twombly- All Body Attack ($14.95)
Amy Bento- Advanced Step Challenge ($19.95)

All of these would be about $90. I don't mind spending the money. I just don't want more workouts I never use (like when I bought Jari Love's Ripped series or the Barry's Bootcamp series).

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me on these workouts.

DEFINITELY get Kim Spreen's Absolute Kickbox. And I haven't done Amy's original ASC, but I LOVE ASC II. I haven't worked out with any of the other instructors, so perhaps someone else can chime in on those.

>I'm looking for some input on the following workouts I have
>saved in my cart at advancedworkout.com. I've never tried any
>of these instructors before. I'm looking for some fun, new
>workouts to keep my motivation going strong during the summer
>months. I love step and kickboxing, so I thought these might
>be fun. I hate hi/lo and moves which are super hard on my
>knees. I also can't stand "whooping" and annoying instructor
>voices.
>
>I love Cathe's KPC, Step Blast, Rhythmic Step, and the step
>portions from SJP and Cardio & Weights. I hate the 4DS HIS and
>Kick Max. Do any of the ones I've listed below have some of
>the same "fun" factors as the Cathe ones I listed?
>
>CIA 2302: Rob Glick- Amazing Step ($9.95)
>CIA 2601: Gay Gasper- Cardio Step Express ($9.95)
>CIA 2505: Kimberly Spreen- Kickbox Bootcamp ($9.95)
>CIA 2605: Kimberly Spreen- Cardio Camp ($9.95)
>CIA 2705: Kimberly Spreen- Absolute Kickbox w/Combat Inter.
>($14.95)
>CIA 2704: Sharon Twombly- All Body Attack ($14.95)
>Amy Bento- Advanced Step Challenge ($19.95)
>
>All of these would be about $90. I don't mind spending the
>money. I just don't want more workouts I never use (like when
>I bought Jari Love's Ripped series or the Barry's Bootcamp
>series).
>
>Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me on these
>workouts.
>
>

I would definitely get Absolute Kickboxing with Kimberly Spreen. I love Amy's step workouts. She has a bit more complex choreography than Cathe and very little breakdown (which I appreciate) and motivating music. ASC is one of her first offerings but it is very good. Advanced Step Challenge 2 is even better in my opinion. I just preordered Advanced Step Challenge 3 yesterday. Amy delivers one of the best, choreographed, steady state step routines on the market as far as I'm concerned. I love Sharon Twombly's All Body Attack and her newest one, which is straight up step called Athletic Step Jam is AWESOME and really tough! Enjoy spending your money!
Angela:7
P.S. You can see nice long clips of Advanced Step Challenge at www.nrgfitness.net. Also check out www.collagevideo.com for short clips of the rest of the workouts you are thinking about.:7

I also highly recommend Kimberly Spreen and Amy Bento. For something different, Kelly Coffey Meyer's Step Boxing is fun as well as the Tracie Long Training DVDs.

I second the suggestion for Kelly's Step boxing. I have Cardio Kick Step Boxing (Step boxing 2) and it is an amazingly fun and good workout. You will see clips at collage.

Do, do, do check out the clip at Tracey's home page of Strike Zone. (I got to preview it and have actually done it - SUPERB). It will ship this week.

Finally, Amy has a presale for Advanced Step Challenge 3 and her new (no non-martial arts choreography, all drill) kick box workout Rumble. She has been training in martial arts (she spars with the big man Calasanz one on one) with http://www.calasanz.com/ This inspired her to make Rumble.

If you like Cardio Coach (or if you like machine cardio) check out CC Volume 8 at Sean's site.

~* Vrinda *~

Thanks so much for everyone's input.

What about Gay Gasper and Sharon T?

Should I get Amy Bento's ASCII and/or III instead of the first one?

:)

About which ASC to get, it depends on whether you dont mind waiting. ASC III is available at presale price but you have to wait a bit.

Sorry - I dont know about the CIAs. Actually I dont know about ASC either. I dont do choreo intene step.

~* Vrinda *~

Another vote for Spreen's Absolute KB. It's an hour & a real calorie burner, not to mention very unique & lots of fun.

Also if you want step, get Amy's ASC2. I passed on the first ASC, it's too short. I think it's only about 30 minutes. ASC2 is probably the most fun I've ever had w/a step, & it'll kick your butt. :p

I also think you'd love Kimberly Spreen's Absolute Kickbox. I have her other two, also, which I really like. I don't think her Kickbox Bootcamp has a lot of actual kickbox, though. It is more athletic moves with a step with some kickbox with and without a body bar thrown in. It goes in a bootamp type circuit. And Cardio Camp is pretty much athletic hi/lo and then leg work without weights. I hope I am remembering correctly on these last two workouts. Its been awhile since I've done them. Kimberly is a really good instructor and her workouts flow smoothly from one move to the next.

HTH,
Sandra

I would go for Sharon Twombly's new Athletic Step Jam over All Body Attack as I think it's more fun - still quite tough though! I like Amy's ASC2 as well - the choreography is quite hard to get but when you do it's really great. The one I always pull out without fail if I want the feel good factor is Christi Taylor's Still Steppin' Just for Fun. I can't usually get her step choreography very well but this one is much easier, great fun and really good music. :)

Emma

I absolutely LOVE Amy's ASC 2 more than her first - it's longer and an awesome calorie burner for me (I use the 8 " step and extra hop in my step on most moves :) ) -I love this workout. Both are good, but if I were to choose one or the other, I'd choose ASC 2. Her moves are complex like stated, but once you know them you just go and have fun. I love her new hi low one as well and KBX.

I also like Tracey's HISM #1 - fun workout!

I do really like Kelley's new Step Box (#2 I think?) I use the weighted gloves for this.

HTH!
Jane

I have all of these except Sharon Twombly. Of the ones you mentioned, i like these the best:

CIA 2302: Rob Glick- Amazing Step ($9.95)
CIA 2601: Gay Gasper- Cardio Step Express ($9.95)
CIA 2505: Kimberly Spreen- Kickbox Bootcamp ($9.95)
Amy Bento- Advanced Step Challenge ($19.95)

I have Gay Gasper-Cardio Step Express. It's just okay. I learned it in just one viewing. Not over challenging. I haven't used that video in months.

Rob Glick- Amazing Step is a good, fun workout. I've done it many, many times in the past.

I recommend Christi Taylors Fantastic Four. Good deal for 4 workouts. Step Heaven is one of my favorites. I also like Christi Taylors Totally Cool Step, Solid Gold Step, and Solid Gold Cardio. They are fun cardio workouts.

I usually order from Collegevideo. Does Advancedworkouts have better prices?

Advancedworkouts.com has many videos on sale, and their shipping is pretty low.

I watched the clips on the videos I mentioned in my first post. The one with Rob Glick looks unsafe. There's this one move where you do an Elvis move. Looks like it could really mess your knee up.

I'd heard that Gay Gasper is more intermediate. The moves in Amy Bento's Advanced Step Challenge II seem like they would be pretty tough to learn. Moves where you're all over the step with lots of twisting is really horrible for my knees.

Even the absolute kickboxing one, just didn't excite me. I guess I'm just so used to Cathe's style that it's hard to try someone else and be open-minded about it.

How do the Christi Taylor Fantastic Four rate as far as intensity?

I really love Still Steppin on the Fantastic 4. It's steady state step and I'd say it's on a level with Rhythmic Step or the non-blast bit of Step Blast. I really love Still Jumpin as well, not quite the level of Still Steppin but they're both really good fun. The other hi lo one is not quite on the same level as Still Jumpin and I've not done the other step one.

Emma

The Elvis move is not bad. He also has a crab walk and a super fly at the end LOL. All and all it's a fun video. Of course if you like fast transitions then I would not suggest Rob Glick. He really breaks things down. An instructor with a similar style is Patrick Goudeau. They actually have videos together with Derrin Grove? They are called G-Force...think they are CIA videos. I just call it the three guy video.

I have not yet done all of the Fantastic Four workouts but Step Heaven will make you sweat. When I first started doing it I couldn't believe that the first stage was only 25 minutes. It is fast paced and I was tired! The second stage has a slower tempo but has complex choreography. The third section (I usually don't do) combines weights and step for a total of 90 minutes. For $20 I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

I got bored fast with Gay Gasper. The most complex part is the cool down.

I've been debating about ordering Advanced Step Challenge II. Anyone have it? How long did it take you to learn?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.