OT: Anyone giving up anything for Lent?

Please don't think I had any intention of making fun of it. I was asking because I didn't know and this forum is a wonderful, safe place to get educated on so many things!

There are a lot of Catholics in this area and yet I have never heard any of my Catholic acquaintances say they were "giving it up for Lent." I've also never seen anyone with a black smudge on their foreheads. I was just asking to be better informed. When people are better informed they are less likely to criticize. Thank you for helping me understand.

Trish

I knew immediately when I hit the "post" button you might assume I thought you were making fun of it. I was NOT referring to you in particular. It just seems I hear people make fun of religious traditions, especially catholic ones, and it gets tiring. Sorry for the implication, not intended.

I saw so many people walking around with ashes on their foreheads but had no idea it was about reminding them of their mortality. In what way? Why is it good to focus on mortality? Just curious.

I reserve the right to be amused by the traditions I was raised in - LOL!

But I do see your point. After all, college was my "rude awakening".

I had to add my two cents here. I read the posts and laughed so much.
I was raised Catholic, but have to admit, I have been very bad at attending services lately, however, this does not mean I am a bad Catholic, just on Sabatical.
In regards to Lent, a dear friend of mine was in the Seminary for a short time (never quite made it through) Anywho, we discussed Lent and giving things up, as many of us were raised to do.
I fell into this category myself, giving up sugar, chocolate(of course, you were allowed to eat them during Birthdays and on Sunday)But I could never feel it was that great of a sacrifice, I was just going through the motions, so I asked my friend (the Almost Priest )about this. What he said made sense and besides, it gave me back my chocolate :)))))))))
He said that he believed the real purpose of Lent was NOT to give up something for a short time, that would be too easy and have no real signifigance, instead he said we should be doing something kind for someone, giving time to help others, say a kind word to a stranger, compliment someone, smile at someone passing by, let someoen in front of you in a bank or grocery line, etc.and this made sense to me..Now, I smile a lot more and eat chocolate during Lent
Marsha:7 :9

I used to do that but I found myself not doing those things I promised to do. So now I am giving up chocolate and every time I want something with chocolate in it, which is daily, I think of Christ and the sacrifices he made for us. Works better for me, it makes me think alot more about the Easter season than what you suggested. That's just me though.

Nothing to do with Lent, but perhaps it would help if you made sure you had plenty of healthy snacks with you so you wouldn't be tempted to each junk food.:)

I'm pleased to see that many of my fellow Christians are observing Lent and taking it seriously. I am a Catholic Christian myself, born and raised, and remain so because I feel this tradition is the best path for me to God.

I myself am giving up ice cream and alcohol. They're bad for me, and when I crave them I am reminded of the sacrifice Christ made for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.