Organizing a 5k: any advice?

kathryn

Cathlete
I've taken on the task of helping organize a 5k for my local animal shelter and animal rescue groups (which I suggested in the first place), and was wondering if anyone here has experience in the organizational side of things and could give me some tips?

I've participated in many 5ks, but as a walker, not an organizer, and I've already done some research by checking out online info from other organizations and from running sites and ehow.com that give info on organizing, but I'd appreciate some first-hand knowledge and advice.

Also, if any of you have participated in a 5k for an animal shelter or animal rescue groups and have any ideas for ancillary activities (I've seen a doggie kissing booth, a doggie dash, prizes for cutest dog, etc.).

TIA!

Absolutely no advice, but I'm so happy you're doing that! So cool!

People love dressing their pets (I certainly did :eek:), maybe you could have some sort of doggie outfit costume. Or collar decorating contest.

Sounds wonderful.

Be sure to advertise locally (maybe the local news cast?), get the word out early. Thats the key to making money with it. Also, include possibly a local radio station, people still listen to the radio in their cars during commute time. Seek out local businesses to be sponsors. Create a facebook page for it so that people can stay informed. On the facebook page be sure to create either a weekly or daily post that includes information thats fun and informative, not just about the race, so that it builds a following. I hope that it goes well, after all, who doesn't love doggies?

Kathryn,
Unfortunately I can't help you, but I want to say that you are doing such a wonderful thing! I wish you the best of luck!

Have you checked with your local running stores? Many of the 5ks I have done are managed by a local store. If you have done 5ks in the past, you could look at t-shirts and other free stuff to see who has acted as a sponsor.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.