Organic peanut butter....clean or not?

step_a_holic

Cathlete
Just looking for a general opinion on this. I recently switched from regular peanut butter to organic. The ingredients are roasted peanuts and sea salt.

Would this be considered a "clean" food? I've been eating it in small quantities as a snack every night with some organic oat bran pretzel sticks.

Thanks for your input!

Melissa:)

I buy organic peanut butter without salt. I'm trying to cut down on the sodium. If you're not concerned with the soduium, then enjoy that peanut butter! I love to just take a spoonful straight from the jar when I'm a bit hungry. It takes the hunger pangs away within a couple of minutes. :)

I'm so glad to hear the organic peanutbutter is clean! i LOVE LOVE LOVE peanutbutter. I switched to laura scudders (i think that's the name) but i heard from another friend that trader joe's is the best. my only problem is not having more then i'm suppose to.:9

There are different opinions on 'clean.' Since most peanuts have a bit of aflatoxin in, they may not be considered 'clean' by some people. Some natural food advocates suggest replacing p.b. with almond butter or another nut butter, which are nutritionally superior.

Not particularly this post, but I'm sometimes stimied by people asking if X, Y or Z is clean, as if there is some kind of "clean police" that will arrest them if they make the wrong choice.

One author I'm reading (who advocates raw foods and sprouts) has a rating system for foods that I think is very useful, and can be adapted in different ways. His three criteria for best food choices are "fresh, raw, organic" (you could choose whatever three criteria you determine to be 'clean' to replace any or all of these). If a food meets all three criteria, it's given a grade of "A." If it lacks in one (for example, it is fresh and organic, but not raw, or it is fresh an raw, but not organic), it gets a "B." Missing two criteria gets a "C." And foods that don't fit any of the three criteria get a grade of "D."

In my interpretation of this, one's goal is to get the best grade one can, and it's up to the individual to decide what s/he will accept as a minimum grade. Do you want a "B" average, for example? Then avoid foods that only get a "D" grade, minimize those with a "C" grade and focus on those that get "A" and "B" grades. If you want that "B" to be a solid "B+," then cut out the "C" and "D" foods, and stick to "A" and "B' foods.

I might add to the above that all nuts and seeds and legumes have what's called anti-nutrients -- and phytates -- that can inhibit mineral absorption and/or inhibit enzyme action -- and enzymes are the "life" of the body -- or food -- whatever. Nothing happens in the body -- no changs take place without enzymes.

However, because peanuts should NEVER be eaten raw, they are almost always found toasted -- and so the phytates are usually destroyed by the heating process. (This is not always the case -- it is not the case with grains or legumes.)

But if you are going to use other nuts than peanuts, ensure they are "toasted" or "roasted" -- or better yet -- soak them raw in salt water over night, which rids them of these anti-nutrients (phytates) and you then have a wonderful raw nut, fully of live enzymes so necessary for digestion and health.

One food that has the most anti-nutrients is soy -- it also is (in this country) often genetically modified. If it is traditionally fermented, however, it is a fine food as fermentation rids the seed, grain or legume of these anti-nutrients.

In the old days, when grains would sit in a field and were subject to all kinds of weather -- they naturally fermented - but when the Industrialization Age hit, these grains, seeds, etc., no longer set in fields for a long time and so the fermentation process no longer takes place, unless you do it yourself.

Have a great day.:7

This is very new and interesting information to me. I was wondering if cooking grains also takes the phyates out of them. Would toasting a piece of whole grain bread lessen or illiminate these anti-nutrients.

The PB that they make at Wild Oats or any of the grocery stores is clean too, you just turn the knob and put it in your container. Good stuff!

Hi!

No, cooking doesn't take the phytates out of grains -- they remain -- sometimes the body can convert them so that they are less harmful to the body -- but when a grain is also processed (as in white breads, etc) the phytates are left intact and they are not able to be converted in the body.

The only way to rid the grain, seed, or legume is by soaking it -- or fermenting it in whey or salt water -- this actually begins the digestion process and makes it easy on our digestive systems. Sproutted grains do not contain phytates, nor do soaked or fermenented grains. Eziekiel bread is made from sprouted grains and bulgur flour is soaked flour. Both you can get from Health Food Stores. In the old days, oatmeal packages used to come with instructions to soak the oatmeal overnight before cooking it. I think many beans still comes with these instructions.

And with nuts, soaking them in salt water rids them of the anti-nutrients, including the phytates.

If you want to read up on this info, I've found this book to be a good source of information: "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon.

Hope this helps.:)

Talking about the PB, I love peter pan PB, but have switched to a cleaner diet and want to try the organic PB, but what is the taste like really? Is it even close to peter pan or others?
JUst wondering before I buy it. Thanks.

Maeghan AKA megadoo

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar072/slider-but3/lb/203/145/159/.png[/img] [/url]

http://www.picturetrail.com/megadoo2

>Talking about the PB, I love peter pan PB, but have switched
>to a cleaner diet and want to try the organic PB, but what is
>the taste like really? Is it even close to peter pan or
>others?
>JUst wondering before I buy it. Thanks.

Natural p.b. (some of which is organic) has a different texture from stuff like Peter Pan, which has ingredients added that make it very smooth. PP also has sweeteners added. It may take a while for you to get used to the difference, but it is worth it ,IMO. You can ease the transition somewhat by using 1/2 PP and 1/2 natural, organic PB (DON'T get the Skippy "natural' PB, which has added fat and sweetener. REAL 'natural'PB just has peanuts, with or without salt).

Maeghan,
Another way to ease the transition is to purchase something like Smucker's Natural PB that has a small amount of honey added to it. This will get you used to the texture of natural PB and from there you can decide if you want to switch to the an unsweetened kind. It's also great for getting your kids to switch:)
Mattea

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.