Oprah's "No Phone Zone Pledge".......

spicegirl

Cathlete
I just did something really cool!....(I think so anyway) I just signed Oprah's No Phone Zone Pledge. Not sure if anyone here saw the show last week when all this "No Phone Zone" started......but it strongly effected me.

As usual, I got busy with other things and did not immediately sign the pledge. Happy to say "I Did It!" Today.......How about you?

Oh yeah.....Happy Birthday Oprah!

Yeah....sorry I didn't make that very clear....did I? The Pledge is for a No Phone Zone for your Car!!!!

Although I rarely speak on my cell while driving (I try to pull over).....I know many, many people who text and talk on their phones while driving. For these people....I would imagin it would be very difficult to stop, at first.....kind of like breaking an addiction. You may want to check out her website for more details. www.oprah.com

I wish it were illegal everywhere to use cell phones while driving (except in emergency situations: and that means 'calling in an accident,' not "I REALLY needed to know what my friend wanted for dinner" LOL!).

I signed it too. I never text while driving, I have used my phone. I really wish it would
become a law. It makes me so mad when I see someone texting and driving. They are putting my life and my 2 year old sons life at risk. I think they should show the Oprah episode in high schools. There was a boy who killed 2 men because he was texting. He said no one taught him that he should not do it. Maybe I am old but not texting while driving seems like common sense.
Tracy

As of January 1 texting while driving is illegal in Illinois and it is illegal for anyone under 18 to use them while driving under the graduated lisence law. Unfortunately I see more adults using them while driving.

I don't need to sign a pledge, I don't use them while driving.

Honestly, I can't text while sitting on my couch :eek::eek:
How in the world are people doing it while driving??? Well, obviously not very well. I have blue tooth in my car but RARELY ever talk while driving. First of all I can't concentrate and second of all I have the boys in the car. Someone will invariably say something inappropriate for young ears!!!!

Maybe I'm not important enough, but who the heck do I need to be talking on the phone to while driving the kids to school???????? :confused::confused:

Cell phones annoy me anyway because everyone seems to NEED it at all times and answer it at the most inappropriate times.

I don't drive and don't have a cell phone so I think I'm covered. Maybe I'll be less likely to be killed when I'm out on a run if more people obey the law. It's now illegal here to drive and talk or text on the phone, unless you use hands free (Toronto). Since the problem is the distraction, not the actual phone to the ear, I think it should be illegal to use hands free as well.

If you notice most of the a*holes that are not stopping at stop signs, running red lights, speeding and weaving, usually have a cell phone up to their head OR they are tip-tapping away on their b-berries.

We are waiting in PA about if it will become illegal to talk on the cell without hands-free. I sure hope so. Not that people still won't do it, but maybe they will think a little first (okay I'm wishful thinking :rolleyes:)

If you notice most of the a*holes that are not stopping at stop signs, running red lights, speeding and weaving, usually have a cell phone up to their head OR they are tip-tapping away on their b-berries.

We are waiting in PA about if it will become illegal to talk on the cell without hands-free. I sure hope so. Not that people still won't do it, but maybe they will think a little first (okay I'm wishful thinking :rolleyes:)

i was about to say this as well, its a MAJOR distraction. one guy the other day RAN a red light i didn't see it until i almost t-boned him(b/c a large truck obeying the light stopped and i didn't see around him). now police usually patrol that busy area but the one time there wasn't. i would have loved to pull over with the officer and have a word with him. i have seen teenager not yield or stop at signs i have seen ppl blow past school buses even though the bus will have its light flashing.

i have even seen a woman going over paperwork while driving a suburban. she was in and out of lanes and even drove up on a curb!!! i am like why is it any other day i see officers everywhere but the days i see this crap i never see an officer in sight. i don't know if anybody ever caught up with her b/c i saw a lot ppl picking up their cell and blue toothes so i assumed they were dialing 911 or something. i hope they did catch her though.

there are laws in place but mans law never does any good when man doesn't have respect or courtesy for fellow man.

kassia

Kassia,

Sometimes karma catches up :)

There are two 4-way stops on the way home, and the high school is in the area, so bless their hearts, they are in a hurry to get somewhere and hardly ever stop. I came up to the 4-way the other day, stopped to make my left turn and almost t-boned the chickee in the other car because she didn't stop at all! I laid on the horn, made my left and their was my friendly policeman who was firing up his lights to go chase her down!!! While I shouldn't have been so happy, I must admit, I WAS! :D:D:D

Kassia,

Sometimes karma catches up :)

While I shouldn't have been so happy, I must admit, I WAS! :D:D:D

i know it sounds so evil to be happy that somebody got pulled over, but its better for them to get a ticket then a hospital bill or worse a summons to appear in court if they hurt somebody badly and got sued. i have made mistakes, no way am i perfect but i do try to take pre cautions on things like this that are preventable. i don't answer my phone at all in the car i do not change cds/radio stations unless i am at a complete stop. and i certainly do not take the time to read my paper work on the go. if i need to do that then i need a time management intervention LOL.

and another biggie for me i DO NOT drive if i have to take medications that make me even the slightest bit woozy. i have been known to not even take advil unless i know i don't have to go anywhere. i do not ever ever want to risk behind the will with less then better judgment. that is a mistake i did make when i was 16. thankfully i didn't hurt an innocent person only myself but the damage i did to myself i live with for a lifetime is a reminder that driving is not a right,its a privileged and its not meant for fun and games, its serious and if you don't take it so its dangerous.

kassia

I can tell you ladies are smart and common-sensical...

...I agree with all your posts.

Safety first, socializing second
;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.