OPINIONS WANTED! CATHE OR ANYONE ELSE

syzygy314

Cathlete
Thinking of changing my workout strategy and doing more weights and less cardio. Thought I'd change my cardio from long steady state (except for my weekend runs) to more HIIT and interval work.

Here's the reason, I'm at goal weight, but am still pretty flabby everywhere, have high BF still and my belly sticks out (because of the still high BF). Last time I was working out a lot, I didn't have this problem. The BF came down with the weight. Guess it's that 40s thing? My diet is pretty darn good. I follow clean eating and enjoy myself only on the weekends, yes, sometimes too much, but not always.

Do you think this will help at least some? I plan on doing some more clean up work on the diet as well, but my main concern is that I'm not seeing the muscle definition I had started getting with STS now that I'm on different rotations. They're Cathe's rotations, so I thought I wouldn't lose any of that, but I am.

Voicing my appreciation for your help and/or suggestions in advance! :D:D

Thinking of changing my workout strategy and doing more weights and less cardio. Thought I'd change my cardio from long steady state (except for my weekend runs) to more HIIT and interval work.

Here's the reason, I'm at goal weight, but am still pretty flabby everywhere, have high BF still and my belly sticks out (because of the still high BF). Last time I was working out a lot, I didn't have this problem. The BF came down with the weight. Guess it's that 40s thing? My diet is pretty darn good. I follow clean eating and enjoy myself only on the weekends, yes, sometimes too much, but not always.

Do you think this will help at least some? I plan on doing some more clean up work on the diet as well, but my main concern is that I'm not seeing the muscle definition I had started getting with STS now that I'm on different rotations. They're Cathe's rotations, so I thought I wouldn't lose any of that, but I am.

Voicing my appreciation for your help and/or suggestions in advance! :D:D

I personally think that is a great strategy. I also think, if you were experiencing good muscle definition with the STS program, return to it, or at least the mesocycle that produced the best results. OR, if you did STS as produced the first time, next time go to the STS Undulating Periodization rotation that Cathe (or what it Christosz, whose posts I miss!) (?) (?!) cooked up shortly after STS was released.

If you have Shock Cardio, then your new cardio schedule should be a snap to put together.

A-Jock

Thanks A-Jock!

I kept checking back and no one had responded and I was starting to panic! :(

I wish I had SC! I'm going to have to do it the old-fashioned way - running and maybe with some rope jumping and plyo stuff. I'm not great at configuring my own workouts, but maybe this will force me to get some practice in!

I'll have to hunt down the undulating rotation and see what that consists of. I did do STS as produced last time in the 6 1/2 month rotation. I'll see what I can come up with! :D

I personally think that is a great strategy. I also think, if you were experiencing good muscle definition with the STS program, return to it, or at least the mesocycle that produced the best results. OR, if you did STS as produced the first time, next time go to the STS Undulating Periodization rotation that Cathe (or what it Christosz, whose posts I miss!) (?) (?!) cooked up shortly after STS was released.

If you have Shock Cardio, then your new cardio schedule should be a snap to put together.

A-Jock

I know we talked about this already, but what the hay! I was listening to a podcast with JJ Virgin, a Hollyweird trainer/coach and Jimmy Moore. She has a new book out, I might get it. This is what she said on the podcast:

Here are the 5 steps she listed to get you a sexy upper body:

1. Eat properly: Don't snack.

Replace one meal with a protein shake.
Get 50 g. fiber per day.

For your other two meals:

Eat healthy fats, protein (5-6 oz), lots of non-starchy vegetables, and one low GI carb (either apple, berries, sweet potato, lentils or legumes.)

Nuts are not high in protein, neither are legumes.

2. Exercise: Walking doesn't cut it. Do high intensity cardio and strength training (apparently this improves insulin sensitivity.) heavy.

3. Sleep for 7-9 hours a night. Turn off your computer 1 hour before you plan to sleep. Read a real book, don't use the iPad, the glowing light keeps you awake.

4. Stress is your enemy. Stress hormones make you fat. Find a way to shift your perspective (You have got to love this Chic, right? I mean, don't we all try to handle our stress?) Take time for your bliss.

5. Accept that boo boos in dieting happen and learn from situations and plan to prevent them from happening again.

I hope that helps.

I am working with a trainer right now. She believes in shocking your body. She has me doing 2 steady cardios a week (hour long run), 2 intervals training (finterval running/hillwork), 2 plyo cardios(sorta like the HIITS or Insanity). I am getting ready for a figure competition. Of course, diet is clean. My body weight is fine, but I am like you. I've got extra flab to get rid of before I get on stage. Right now I 20% bf, but I need to be around 14%. I can tell it is working, I have been doing the cardio like she is suggesting. (I am also doing an hour of weights with this.) From your post I think you are on the right track. Good luck and keep us posted. Love reading about successes and fitness results.

Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer!

I'm going to see how this works. I'll let everyone know how it goes once I get on a program and have done it for a month or so.

Good luck in your figure competition! Work, work as Cathe would say! :D

I am working with a trainer right now. She believes in shocking your body. She has me doing 2 steady cardios a week (hour long run), 2 intervals training (finterval running/hillwork), 2 plyo cardios(sorta like the HIITS or Insanity). I am getting ready for a figure competition. Of course, diet is clean. My body weight is fine, but I am like you. I've got extra flab to get rid of before I get on stage. Right now I 20% bf, but I need to be around 14%. I can tell it is working, I have been doing the cardio like she is suggesting. (I am also doing an hour of weights with this.) From your post I think you are on the right track. Good luck and keep us posted. Love reading about successes and fitness results.

Jennifer

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.