Opinion on job interview

workout

Cathlete
Hello, just wanted to get all of your opinion about pursuing a new job. I will be 60 years old in October and I have been working at my current job for 15 years and I'm still employed there. I sent my resume to this company and to make a long story short, I have an interview with them.

I am now so hesitant to go on this interview. My present job is great, good people, very relaxed area, no pressure, no stress, I have 25 vacation day and 10 sick days.great medical benefits. My boss is awesome, there is no pressure about coming in late or having to leave early (I start on time) well there's nothing negative I can say about my job - maybe the pay is not that great but it's not about the money at this point in my life.

I sent the resume just to see what happens; my question is should I really be seeking a new job at my age - 60 since it's pretty comfortable where I'm at out or should I just go for it?

Than you for your thoughts - you are all a bunch of interesting and intelligent women, that's why I was compelled to post this out there.

Well, this is an interesting situation. Could you go just for the heck of it? i mean, if you are not really keen to leave your job and will stay there until you retire - then maybe this is the last interview you will ever have. If you are up for the experience, I say why not go and have an interesting hour (or less). It might be fun to find out if you get the job. At least then you can turn them down. You will probably be super relaxed too. i once interviewed for a job that was 7 levels about mine in the union. I interviewed in a huge board room with 2 men. I looked around and asked - would this be my office? we all chuckled. Well, I got the job - yet didn't think I stood a chance cos I really wasn't qualified enough. And, a few weeks later they realized I wasn't qualified, they demoted me to a junior position. I wasn't laughing anymore :( but what an experience.

BTW: I would not give up 25 vacation days. No Way!!!! or medical benefits. I have a pension, med benefits, $1500 education fund yearly, 12 sick days (or more if I want them), 6 ill dependent days, 20 vacation, 2 float day, another 10 accumulated days off, ability to bank 1.5 days of pay per month if I don't call in sick (a sick bank - yeah), a job near my house, in my field of study, but - my job is a bit routine and I earn an average income. That said, even though I would like to do more interesting work, I just can't give up the vacation, the seniority, benefits etc... so - i started a business three years ago on the side to stimulate me and it's going quite well. Let us know what you decide. Good luck.

Going to an interview commits you to exactly nothing! You have nothing to lose. 2 things can happen as a result:

1) you discover that this job is not better than the one you already have, the perks are worse or the same, the grass is not greener and you end up feeling happy about your current status. This renews your sense of fulfillment and happiness and you enjoy your position all the more.

2) you discover this job holds out an opportunity for something you have never had before and, since you are 60 and nowhere near dead yet, you decide you want to stretch yourself further and see what you can do. So, you decide to take it and see because life is an eternal journey of exploration.

Either one of these eventualities looks good in my book, so, why not go?

And please come and report back because now I am dead curious about what will happen next?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!

Clare

Last edited:
Well, this is an interesting situation. Could you go just for the heck of it? i mean, if you are not really keen to leave your job and will stay there until you retire - then maybe this is the last interview you will ever have. If you are up for the experience, I say why not go and have an interesting hour (or less). It might be fun to find out if you get the job. At least then you can turn them down. You will probably be super relaxed too. i once interviewed for a job that was 7 levels about mine in the union. I interviewed in a huge board room with 2 men. I looked around and asked - would this be my office? we all chuckled. Well, I got the job - yet didn't think I stood a chance cos I really wasn't qualified enough. And, a few weeks later they realized I wasn't qualified, they demoted me to a junior position. I wasn't laughing anymore :( but what an experience.

BTW: I would not give up 25 vacation days. No Way!!!! or medical benefits. I have a pension, med benefits, $1500 education fund yearly, 12 sick days (or more if I want them), 6 ill dependent days, 20 vacation, 2 float day, another 10 accumulated days off, ability to bank 1.5 days of pay per month if I don't call in sick (a sick bank - yeah), a job near my house, in my field of study, but - my job is a bit routine and I earn an average income. That said, even though I would like to do more interesting work, I just can't give up the vacation, the seniority, benefits etc... so - i started a business three years ago on the side to stimulate me and it's going quite well. Let us know what you decide. Good luck.

CeciFifi, thank you so much for your opinion, I so appreciate it. But yes I am going to the interview and just be myself and have fun since I don't have anything to lose. It's a panel interview with the team that this position will support. Thanks again, this really helped.

Going to an interview commits you to exactly nothing! You have nothing to lose. 2 things can happen as a result:

1) you discover that this job is not better than the one you already have, the perks are worse or the same, the grass is not greener and you end up feeling happy about your current status. This renews your sense of fulfillment and happiness and you enjoy your position all the more.

2) you discover this job holds out an opportunity for something you have never had before and, since you are 60 and nowhere near dead yet, you decide you want to stretch yourself further and see what you can do. So, you decide to take it and see because life is an eternal journey of exploration.

Either one of these eventualities looks god in my book, so, why not go?

And please come and report back because now I am dead curious about what will happen next?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!

Clare

Hi Clare, you certainly brought up some very good points and yes I will be going to the interview this Thursday. I love how you say "you are 60 and nowhere near dead yet" that definitely gave me a chuckle but you are correct. I'm going to the interview and just enjoy it and see what happens. I'll keep you posted for sure. Thanks again.

Hi CeciFifi, just wanted to let you know that I went on the interview yesterday and it was a grueling interview - my goodness. It was a panel interview of 5 people and they had some questions - wow!! Anyway, it's over and I did quite well and glad that I attended. I think you are right that this is probably the last interview I'm going to have, unless something happens with my present job!! Thanks again.

Either one of these eventualities looks god in my book, so, why not go?

Clare

Hi Clare, just wanted to let you know that I went on the interview yesterday and it was quite an interview. Lots of character questions, etc. Anyway, you are right I feel different towards my job and realize that I'm pretty lucky to have this job with so many benefits and good people to work with. So for now, as long as I have a job, no more interview. Thanks again for your your response.

Hi There,
Wow. Good for you! I am not sure I would have gone. You obviously have a curious spirit. I am so impressed you went. Thanks for the update.

Hello, just wanted to get all of your opinion about pursuing a new job. I will be 60 years old in October and I have been working at my current job for 15 years and I'm still employed there. I sent my resume to this company and to make a long story short, I have an interview with them.

I am now so hesitant to go on this interview. My present job is great, good people, very relaxed area, no pressure, no stress, I have 25 vacation day and 10 sick days.great medical benefits. My boss is awesome, there is no pressure about coming in late or having to leave early (I start on time) well there's nothing negative I can say about my job - maybe the pay is not that great but it's not about the money at this point in my life.

I sent the resume just to see what happens; my question is should I really be seeking a new job at my age - 60 since it's pretty comfortable where I'm at out or should I just go for it?

Than you for your thoughts - you are all a bunch of interesting and intelligent women, that's why I was compelled to post this out there.

You are in a unique situation. I am now retired but I got my last job at age 60. Go on the interview, you have nothing to lose & if anything it is an ego boost that you are still a good job commodity. It is good for your ego.

I had job interview Feb 5th, was notified on the 6th I passed interview and testing. Was just offered part time job on the 16th. I am 63 and retired from Corrections in 2016. My new job is with the state of MN, so I will have excellent benefits and while the pay is less, so is the stress.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.