Online Body Fat Calculators - BEWARE!

MidgetDogg

Cathlete
Just for giggles, I went online last night to calculate my body fat percentage (not BMI). I tried a couple and got very different results. The first one I did said my body fat was 30%, which is in the acceptable range. 30?!? How could that be, I thought? I'm 5'0" and weigh 104 lbs. I'm in a size 2 jean....

So then I did a different one and it said it was 16%. Found a 3rd, which also put me at 16%.

I'm going with the 16%, but WOW! If I had actually believed the first one, I'd be starving myself. Seems pretty dangerous to someone who is just starting out and doesn't really have a lot of information already. I think they need to get a new web designer on that one site who actually knows how to program a formula.

i think the WM body fat calculator works well. thats what i would rely on, it is always a good idea to check multiple resources though.

I agree, I think 16% sounds about right for your stats. Do you mind sharing the last two sites that you used ;) Being 5' myself (although a lot heavier than you), I am kind of curious.

Thanks!!

Pamela

Which method on the linear site did you use?

I used the tape measure method (since I know those off the top of my head) and it just said I was 28.69% bf which would be ok!

When I use my AccuMeasure 1-Site calipers, it gives me 22%.

I just went to the university near where I live on 9/15 and had the Bod Pod testing done, and that gave me 34%.

I am so confused and frustrated on which is the most accurate. I am about ready to give up but I want to base all my fitness and nutritional levels off of body fat percentage instead of weight since I think that is the more important measurement of the two but if I can't get an accurate and easy method of measuring body fat, I don't know what to do!:mad: :mad:

Last edited:
I did the tape measure one. I have a caliper that I don't think is accurate because as soon as it opens at all to actually get some skin in it, you're given a high reading. It's a real cheap-o one.

I think it's probably not too easy to get an accurate caliper reading if you do it on yourself.

i was thinking about this. i wonder what the % really means? does that mean 1/3 of my body is like lard? at 5.4 (and 1/2 lol) 192/3 is 64. then that would be 128 i guess. i'm not getting anywhere close to that, unless i become deathly ill, knock on wood. to think about it that way, even having a reasonable goal of 150. that makes me so..that is just too far away. i think i need to get to 170, and then see how i feel. well anyway, thats kinda scary.

I don't think you would try to get to 0% bodyfat. That is not possible. In fact it is recommended that females stay above 12%. Really 14-20% is ideal for physically fit athletes; 21-24% is ideal for a general fitness level; 25-31% is considered ideal for the general public, and anything over 32% is considered obese. Female figure competitors may get lower than 12% but they usually only do so during competition season not year round.

It is important to keep in mind that fat is essential (no matter how much we dislike it :D). Fat serves as an insulator to conserve heat, as a source of metabolic fuel for the production of energy, and as a padding to cusion your internal orgrans.

It is dangerous to lose too much body fat just as it is dangerous to store too much body fat. There is a happy medium (I am still hoping to get there :D)

something around 140#(23.7bf%) to 150 is probably where i'm soposed to be. scientifically. and idk how much muscle there will be. the real measure is being healthier and how i feel.
i dont expect to be at zero %, just showing how extreme it is i guess. still losing 50#, feels completely unattainable, but 40# ago, so did 190. its all relative. if i only get down to 170(with muscle tone) and maintain i think i can be happy with that.

I totally agree! Sometimes I find myself getting caught up in the numbers game (like my earlier post) but then I have to step back and ask myself if I feel healthy and am I ok with how I look?

Sometimes the answer is no to both those questions but most of the time I don't feel too bad about where I am now given where I came from which was 65 pounds heavier about 7 years ago. It has been a weight roller coaster over those 7 years so I am hoping now that I am older and wiser I can focus on being as happy and healthy as I can be!

Good luck with your goals!

I don't think it matters which method you use to check body fat as long as you always use the same method. If the % is going down you are successful, if not you are losing muscle and not fat if scale is going down.

Joan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.